Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Finished Dictionary of the Khazars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my SO gave me the penguin book of oulipo for christmas and i’m super happy about that!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ulvir posted:

my SO gave me the penguin book of oulipo for christmas and i’m super happy about that!
Rupi Kaur is already in the Penguin Classics?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

probably news to me, but what does that have to do with anything i said

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ulvir posted:

probably news to me, but what does that have to do with anything i said
There's a horrible article on the last page that compares Rupi Kaur to Oulipo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

gently caress yeah oulipo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

there is nothing and i mean nothing i hate more than the obsession some people have with this chimerical idea of sincerity that justifies writing absolute poo poo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I’d prefer some gobshite who wholeheartedly liked Rupi Kaur instead of that simp “I think it’s bad to me and my brain personally but also it’s genius and the most important writing of the decade” poo poo

E: Starting The Brothers K tonight

Can’t spell the name

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Not sure what there is to spell.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Omg if I see another Rupi Kaur book this Christmas please somebody shove my entire Dante library up my own personal rear end

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just don't read them lmao.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just don't read them lmao.

YES THAT WOULD BE GREAT I WOULD LOVE TO NOT

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I think that person is giving Rupi Kaur way too much consideration.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

More like Poopee Augh

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 26, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Heath posted:

This poo poo makes me unbelievably depressed because I can actually feel the internet making me dumber and I take refuge in long form literature for that reason. An entire generation growing up that way is revolting to think about.

Yeah literature is pretty much the only medium I still enjoy, I completely stopped watching movies or TV because of how idiotic and boring it all is. I don't even read that much but it's the only truly satisfying way for me to enjoy fiction, and it sucks that people now get a dumbed down version of even that.

Dutch literature really suffered in recent decades from Kaurization, releasing novels that are mostly about personal histrionics with a lot of pedestrian references to stupid things.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

there is nothing and i mean nothing i hate more than the obsession some people have with this chimerical idea of sincerity that justifies writing absolute poo poo

Trying to think about irony rupi kaur and laughing to myself

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

i've found a
bit
and i'm committed to
it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rupi Kaur is the Dan Nainan (millennial comedian) of poetry.

e: OK I actually read some of Kaur's poems and their main malfunction seems to be lack of an editor, as some of them are OK poems* but for every one of those there's ten that are piss.

*) My standard is "does it make me grimace?"

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 26, 2019

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Rupi Kaur is the Dan Nainan (millennial comedian) of poetry.

e: OK I actually read some of Kaur's poems and their main malfunction seems to be lack of an editor, as some of them are OK poems* but for every one of those there's ten that are piss.

*) My standard is "does it make me grimace?"

i suspect that you, much like rupi kaur, are an idiot

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

J_RBG posted:

i've found a
bit
and i'm committed to
it

you think i am a
vacuum cleaner
but really i just
suck off my dad

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
was going to joke about something like 'rupi kaur but she only writes double dactyls' or something likethat, but it doesn't even work because even if your subject matter is something utterly banal and a retread of a billon-year old image/idea the act of making it tricky to compose means you have to put Work into it and that's antithetical to the idea

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Omar Khayam - The Rupi Kaur

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
She's the Bukowski of Now-ski

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
'but at LEAST people are reading POETRY now'

is complete bs because i always thought i didn't 'get' poetry, and after picking up a rupi kaur book and thinking 'yep, this confirms it. i don't get poetry' i may never have tried again if not for this thread.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

When i started to work at my school I talked about literature education with another teacher and told her I would try to make them read something substantial and not like, Harry Potter or some poo poo.

"What's wrong with that? At least they're reading" gently caress you.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
people are getting 'into' poetry in the same way you aunt is getting 'into' putting carve wooden live laugh love slogans on every available surface

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shibawanko posted:

When i started to work at my school I talked about literature education with another teacher and told her I would try to make them read something substantial and not like, Harry Potter or some poo poo.

You could say the same about Facebook, that's technically reading

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

every morning
i wake up
and open palm slam
a vhs into the slot

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ras Het posted:

Omar Khayam - The Rupi Kaur

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Rupiyyat of Omar Instagrayham

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Picked up a bilingual Mayakovsky collection today. :feelsgood:

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

Well yeah that's the point. You don't need to read that in class because they'll read it by themselves. School is for poo poo you can't do by yourself.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

my soul
has the power to move you
like the
feeling of the last and great
turd
finally breaking forth
sliding
____sliding
_______sliding

I am that powerful.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 27, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bukowski got me into poetry.

Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Philthy posted:

Bukowski got me into poetry.

Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink.

Yep, me too. imo gateway poetry is a thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

For me it was Wilfred Owen.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

bukowski, like rupi kaur, always struck me as more of a dead end than a gateway. where's the next logical step that you go from after reading bukowski taht isn't just going to be viewed exactly the same as it wouldve been before you read bukowski? no one's picking up keats after reading bukowski and being like 'drat my reading of bukowski has really informed my understanding of this and i definitely don't think it's obscurantist garbage like i wou;d've done before reading that master of exposing the fundamental essence of poetry, bukowski'

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Picked up a bilingual Mayakovsky collection today. :feelsgood:

mayakovsky absolutely rips

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
We live in stupid times and Rupi Kaur is the reflection of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
There hasn't been a non-stupid time ever