Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
So after taking your advice and ditching the IJN DDs for the USN line... I am in love! Already up to the Farragut, just please don't tell me it goes downhill from here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If it wasn't for Russian Bias the US DD line might be one of the strongest lines in the game.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Devorum posted:

I'm kind of getting the hang of the Kirov. It's not a bad boat, but if you get caught out you're toast. Very, very unforgiving. Maybe it'll force me to stop being an over aggressive Bad when it comes to cruisers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrTK5xYZLQ

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just got the Fuso and What The gently caress man

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ghetto wormhole posted:

Don't judge it until you get to at least the B hull

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Russian DDs are probably better but the USN torpedos completely outclass them from T7 onwards.

Speaking of which, it looks to me like for both the Udaloi and Khab the stock torpedos are better than the upgraded options.

Also the Tashkent is interesting. It has a very low reload time on its torps and a nice 3x3 spread. The torps have 8k range and with CE, its concealment would be around 7.4. I wonder would it make a good specialized torp boat?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

NTRabbit posted:

Just unlocked the B hull after two games so I didn't have to suffer too much. It's pretty beastly even with the ridiculous 13.2km range on the A hull.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Complications posted:

Went into the Discord today, found some people to derp around in boats with, ended up with two people who really knew what they were doing. I can just about to manage to find the 'w' key. Ended up with enough experience to buy a Colorado and the Nagato's C hull. 10/10 would get carried repeatedly to victory again.

:glomp:

Complications is just being modest. When he, Pacra and I divisioned up we went on a 12 game rampage and didn't lose a single one. Also he makes the Pensacola work for him and I just can't do that.

In case you care to watch the replays I posted them to: http://wowreplays.com/Player/na/Arishtat

The Warspite one is pretty good as is the Kiev and if you want to see a parade of idiots getting dunked by SUPERIOR IJN CRUISER FURUTAKA check that one out as well.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just unlocked the B hull after two games so I didn't have to suffer too much. It's pretty beastly even with the ridiculous 13.2km range on the A hull.

The Fuso is a monster. If you like it in Random Battle, imagine it when it's top tier in Ranked...

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

Can we put this and the answer to this in the OP?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kim Jong ill posted:

So after taking your advice and ditching the IJN DDs for the USN line... I am in love! Already up to the Farragut, just please don't tell me it goes downhill from here!

The T6 Farragut and T7 Mahan are the 2 less stellar mid-tier US DDs (they are still very competitive). T8 Benson is fantastic, T9 Fletcher is extremely good (its honestly overpowered but I'd like my DDs to STOP GETTING NERFED and get buffed to its level, loving Kagero RIP), Gearing is also strong, though it optimally plays with Torpedo Acceleration, setting it a bit apart from the other US DDs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

What makes the Atago good and how is it played?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Plus, being a Polish boat, you can make cracks about how you just stole their game with your stolen boat, and how your captain works for less, so you get more profit.

...that'll have more weight on the EU server, of course.

Alternately tell them that just like the NHS, the Poles are carrying their team.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

xthetenth posted:

What makes the Atago good and how is it played?

Concealment, fire chance, repair party. Shoot things, torp things, always be angled.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm 2K away from the Fuso, and I fully intend to Free XP to the B hull at the least. Possibly all the way to the FCS upgrade.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Devorum posted:

I'm 2K away from the Fuso, and I fully intend to Free XP to the B hull at the least. Possibly all the way to the FCS upgrade.

Naw, just free xp the B hull. That alone gives you plenty of range, enough that you should get the FCS after the C hull.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
2x game, 100% bonus camo from the event, xp flag and a somewhat decent game for a whopping 11450 xp :dance:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hammerstein posted:

2x game, 100% bonus camo from the event, xp flag and a somewhat decent game for a whopping 11450 xp :dance:

Well that should help speed up the progress to your next...oh.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Concealment, fire chance, repair party. Shoot things, torp things, always be angled.

Is that invisi-shooting levels of concealment or just good concealment to let you get into good position and disengage? Also does it have good forward torpedo arcs?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Is that invisi-shooting levels of concealment or just good concealment to let you get into good position and disengage? Also does it have good forward torpedo arcs?

You can invisifire with concealment expert and the module, but I don't think the margin is that big. Torpedo arcs are very good, although there's only one launcher on each side that can fire forwards.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
So is the OP out of date or is the Target Acquisition module still worthless? I bought one for my mogami to help hunt destroyers before I read that post. It says torpedo acquisition is capped at +20% but vigilance is +25%?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's so wrong about Japanese DDs? all Japanese lines seem rpetty cool and i'm at the tier four DD but now i'm getting worried :ohdear:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Mans posted:

what's so wrong about Japanese DDs? all Japanese lines seem rpetty cool and i'm at the tier four DD but now i'm getting worried :ohdear:

The Isokaze and especially the Minekaze are two of the best seal clubbers in the game. But if you like torping people then the next great torp boat will be the Fubuki at T8. At 10 you finally get the Shima, but at that tier you have to compete against the Gearing and Khabarovsk. With the latter being a murderous gun DD and the former having stealthier torps as well as superior guns.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

So is the OP out of date or is the Target Acquisition module still worthless? I bought one for my mogami to help hunt destroyers before I read that post. It says torpedo acquisition is capped at +20% but vigilance is +25%?

If you really want improved torpedo acquisition, it's arguably better than Vigilance. Vigilance might have a very slightly larger increase, but it also takes a captain skill, and most ships really want something other than Vigilance as their 3-pointer.

Mans posted:

High tier IJN torpedoes (actually, ALL the torpedoes IJN gets, it's just not ludicrous until the higher tiers - barring Mutsuki) are spotted far sooner than their US or Russian counterparts. Given that IJN destroyers are supposedly based around being torpedo boats, as opposed to guns like their counterparts, their primary weapon being far easier to avoid than the fish launched off their counterparts is something of an issue. The most egregious example being the normal Type 93, with a 2.5 km detection radius, compared to the US torpedoes with their 1.4 km detection, and the Russian ones with their 1.1 km detection. Russian ones are at least significantly slower, but the US ones actually go faster than the stock Type 93 as well.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mans posted:

They fall off a cliff after Tier 5. The only thing they are good at is stealth-firing torpedoes, but their torpedoes kinda suck and they are pretty helpless if detected.

Tier 6 Mutsuki and Tier 7 Hatsuharu are some of the worst ships in the game. Tier 8 Fubuki is good, but Tier 9 Kagero and Tier 10 Shimakaze are bad (compared to other destroyers).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They also sell T5 Japanese premium DDs for a decent price, and seeing as you shouldn't grind past T5 on the line you might as well get premium benefits in playing it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Lord Koth posted:

If you really want improved torpedo acquisition, it's arguably better than Vigilance. Vigilance might have a very slightly larger increase, but it also takes a captain skill, and most ships really want something other than Vigilance as their 3-pointer.

Do they stack? The wiki says they do but the OP says they don't. I hope they do because it's nice to have plenty of warning when you're knife fighting a destroyer at close range.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mans posted:

Also just in general invisible torpedo rear end in a top hat is frustrating to play because some games the enemy will remember to turn and you can't really just play better to get through it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Also just in general invisible torpedo rear end in a top hat is frustrating to play because some games the enemy will remember to turn and you can't really just play better to get through it.

Mine is always them turning because a friendly decided to shoot them too.

There are also the games where you are hosed from the start because the enemy carrier parks a fighter squad on top of you killing all your stealth.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Just took a screenie of a Supertester in a Kaiser call his team poo poo. Wonder if I should post that somewhere to stir some waves.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Just took a screenie of a Supertester in a Kaiser call his team poo poo. Wonder if I should post that somewhere to stir some waves.

Send that poo poo directly to a customer service email.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

NTRabbit posted:

Ive got a decent amount of Free EXP saved up and im looking to avoid a stupid grind with it while going down the Jap BB line. Is the Fuso A bad enough that id want to jump straight to B with it?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive got a decent amount of Free EXP saved up and im looking to avoid a stupid grind with it while going down the Jap BB line. Is the Fuso A bad enough that id want to jump straight to B with it?

It has a 13.2km range. Other than that it's fine!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Twice in about 5 minutes my Tirpitz got brought to a halt because I hit the slooooooowly sinking hulk of a ship that died a few km away right in front of me. The second time stopped me right before a Gearing launched his torps, so welp.

If I hadn't finished top on the team in a tier 10 game with Yamatos and Zaos I might have been angry.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Meme Emulator posted:

Yes, absolutely.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

I just did exactly that and don't regret it one bit.

The B Hull Fuso is fantastic so far. Still vulnerable to Nagato beatdowns, though.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Jesus my first time playing the Okinawa map and it's taking an ungodly amount of time to load. Is this just me? No other map has taken me more than 30 seconds to load, we're going on 5 minutes now. I wonder if the match will even be going at this point.

e: loaded in and I was already dead. In a DD. what happened to precaching, I'm pretty sure this was having to download the map from scratch on first matchmaking pick.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 8, 2016

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Getting lucky in Myogi

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Devorum posted:

I just did exactly that and don't regret it one bit.

The B Hull Fuso is fantastic so far. Still vulnerable to Nagato beatdowns, though.

Yeah, the only problem with the Fuso is that the upper-tier competition is ghastly. Nagato, Colorado, Amagi and North Carolina? And Tirpitz??

I'm sick of 14-inch guns. I might need to take a break from the game, because every round lately has been Tier 8 slaughterhouses.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Lord Koth posted:

(actually, ALL the torpedoes IJN gets, it's just not ludicrous until the higher tiers - barring Mutsuki)

There is some weird poo poo with one or two low tiers, but other than that it is just a function of the torpedo diameter. US torpedoes and low tier Japanese torpedoes are 533 mm and give about 8.5 seconds of warning, high tier Japanese torpedoes are 610 mm and 12 seconds, and some of the really low tier ships have 450 mm torpedoes with 7 seconds of warning.

In context, I think Wargaming are probably too incompetent to realize that the Japanese high tier torpedoes are larger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Can someone give me a pepsicola build? Even with the upgraded fire control, having a spot range that is larger than your firing range is really killing the whole strategy of "stay back, close screen the BBs, snipe." Inevitably a destroyer gets close and I get focused by high caliber guns. I've only managed a two kill match in a single game.