Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
AU where hitler kidnaps pearl because he thinks she has the spear of destiny but she ends up taking over nazi germany haha just for laughs thought itd be funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

johntfs posted:

I'm not. Some of you are seeing what you want to see. Pearl stabbing Hitler in the face with her spear isn't "appropriate for a children's cartoon character to do" but I really want to think she did it, because that would be cool. As for the sex thing, yeah, I push the boundaries there. Part of that is just a case of not quite getting when to stop typing. However, another part of it is that I know that there are plenty of people who are only too happy to pull the boundaries in as tight as they will go.

"Dude! You can't talk about gay stuff in a kid's cartoon! Think of the children, man, think of the children!"

Sometimes I push too hard. That said I'll off it and tone it down. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, unlike some people *cough*BotL*cough* I could mention. Steven Universe is a show that works so well on so many levels with its subtlety and density. It fires up my imagination and speculation so that I sometimes forget to edit and filter like I should. I'll probably forget again when the show comes back, if not sooner. If/when I do, just give me smack to remind me.

I sympathize and all but I don't think drugs are the answer

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

If you change the extension to .gif, it'll still work. You can also change it to .webm and imgur does all the work. Imgur owns.

Oh, well. Good to know, thanks!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol you're a pedo

how the gently caress did I miss this earlier

truly botl is the best of us

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm all for discussion, ideas and thoughts about a show, but these wildly out of tone ideas and backstory ideas are just strange to me. Like you're asking for a backstory that's literally impossible to show on a cartoon show on Cartoon Network that isn't Adult Swim.

After 500 pages all speculation has become white noise.

johntfs posted:

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, unlike some people *cough*BotL*cough* I could mention.

I am going to do a favour for you johnfts. I will now show everyone what a truly terrible post is, so that yours will be forgotten.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I am going to do a favour for you johnfts. I will now show everyone what a truly terrible post is, so that yours will be forgotten.

I thought this was pretty funny. I am a terrible person.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

we...are the crystal state.
we'll always take your head
and if you think we can't
we'll kill you in your bed
that's why the people of this world
are scared of
garnet, amethyst, and pearl
and Steven!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The damndest thing about this turn is it seems to be happening everywhere all at once :smith:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Triskelli posted:

The damndest thing about this turn is it seems to be happening everywhere all at once :smith:

Your new avatar just makes it seem that way.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Maybe my standards are a little high.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

holy poo poo I'm dyin IRL

pearl's just so overwhelmed with joy

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Liar. This is an awesome post, especially Pearl tearing up with pride.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:vince:

See, unlike "I only care about female characters if they're down to gently caress" this is legitimately great.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

somebody drew the gems, but something seems slightly off, though i can't put my finger on it

good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Triskelli posted:

Yeah it's weird, while there had been some rough spots before the whole fandom just started tearing itself apart once the hiatus was confirmed, and not just in one part of the web, but everywhere, as well as a rather extreme hostility towards SU that's emerging as well

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Steven Universe is almost two years old now, I started watching it when it first started and it's weird to me because I think I liked it's first year better then it's second, which I'm pretty sure is a minority opinion. poo poo, some of the shows most popular elements like fusion don't jive for me at all so I'm kind of an outlier already.

I don't know if I can really articulate it all but I liked the setting a little more before it started filling in the details, and liked the more high fantasy idea of the gems the show was using compared to the more sci fi mood it has now. The crystal gems were a dysfunctional family, but you didn't have the drama the show always has in the background with the gems these days. Homeworld is coming! Peridot is doing freaky poo poo and Pearl is falling apart and Garnets mad! The Earth is about to hatch in apocalyptic fashion! I mean I know the interviews and stuff said the monster hunting semi casual adventuring was the prelude and all but it was comfy to me.

I think I really miss Steven just messing around figuring out his powers, I loved Cat Fingers and Watermelon Steven. I mean he can dream walk and poo poo, that's rad as hell and I bet the gems don't what the gently caress about it. You could have him wandering into Pearls weird mental pocket dimension or something, it'd be neat.

I'm tired of the Pearl depression arc. I'm gonna it say straight, I think Pearl is the coolest character on the show by miles and only Steven comes close. She's this energetic tactical thinking astronuat bird lady who really wants to protect and teach her kid, and she was never even made to be a practical thing. All her skills and technical ability are something she's had to struggle for, kinda like a human even. That is rad as hell. But it sucks because it's been depression and self destructive behavior for the last half a year whenever she gets the spotlight, and even when she gets something like punching Peridot it's feels undermined because right after she gets flattened. I know it's character development and all but it just feels way too drawn out when it's 12 minutes episodes every other month.

It's still a great show, I try to catch most of the episodes. But I don't really feel like it makes me happy like it use to, so I decided to fart out this post and see if putting it down somewhere would help me organize my thoughts on it a little.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

1. in SU's alternate history it's likely that Adolf Hitler, if he even existed, probably wouldn't have been a German dictator since we have no indication that WWI or II happened, since things seem to be radically different
2. But even if so, what if Hitler was a plant
Maybe Adolf got into art school and ended up as the German Bob Ross with a huge fluffy mustache since he never had to go to the toothbrush style in WWI.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

If you change the extension to .gif, it'll still work. You can also change it to .webm and imgur does all the work. Imgur owns.

This is amazing

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Pearl would make a great Colonel Sanders.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Pearl would make a great Colonel Sanders.

Personally Beard Pearl gives me a Wang Fire vibe

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

johntfs posted:

We haven't actually seen Gem excrement (and don't want to) but that's my take as well. Gems can mimic human bodily processes for enjoyment/some other purpose (having a Steven) if they choose to but derive no real benefit from this aside from the enjoyment/purpose.

It puts an interesting spin on Gem relationships, especially romantic one. Human live in a permanent biochemical stew of hormones, neurotransmitters and genetic predispositions. If a person finds another person to be desirable, it's generally on that basis. For humans the path to love can be said to be lust => like => love. There's an initial physical attraction followed by social compatibility that deepens to full commitment.

Gems don't have that biochemical stew within them unless they want it. For Gems the relational path seems to be like => love => lust. A gem meets another gem/human and ends up liking that being. If they like them enough, they may choose to commit to them in love. If that happens a Gem may shift her light form in order to feel and express that love in physical terms. We call Gems "gay" or "lesbian" but the truth seems to me to be more complex. Ruby and Sapphire are lesbians in the sense that they both present as females. Sapphire is more properly "Rubysexual" and Ruby is "Sapphiresexual" because there's no indication that either of them feel any desire for anyone other than each other.

lol

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Parts Kit posted:

Maybe Adolf got into art school and ended up as the German Bob Ross with a huge fluffy mustache since he never had to go to the toothbrush style in WWI.

As radioactive as Hitler topics are, at least that would be in keeping with the tone of the show.

Actually, johntfs, that's the disconnect I feel from your posts. There is nothing necessarily illogical about Pearl stabbing Hitler--it is a thing which could have happened in this alt-universe, given the facts about the gems, their powers, etc. Same with your Amethyst conjectures. But the context here, the tone, themes, messages of the show are worlds away from 'killing Adolf Hitler' or 'Roman orgies'. You are grafting bloody, raunchy human history from 35,000 feet onto an upbeat child-appropriate science fiction tale of a family of flawed people, their mistakes, and the power of empathy and unconventional love to heal all wounds and beings (or not, if RS wants to go there). Which isn't to say you are wrong or bad for wanting to discuss that, but this thread is not your target audience.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 31, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drrockso20 posted:

Personally Beard Pearl gives me a Wang Fire vibe

Yes. Also there's some Action Hank nostalgia to be had.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Parts Kit posted:

And the real Bob Ross followed his drill sergeant ways to become the dictator of Alaska.

Corek fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 31, 2015

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Pearl's beard is fuckin pro tier.

Also, is johntf a satire account or something? Nobody could possibly make that many bad posts and be serious, right?

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 31, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I blame anime.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

rockopete posted:

As radioactive as Hitler topics are, at least that would be in keeping with the tone of the show.

Actually, johntfs, that's the disconnect I feel from your posts. There is nothing necessarily illogical about Pearl stabbing Hitler--it is a thing which could have happened in this alt-universe, given the facts about the gems, their powers, etc. Same with your Amethyst conjectures. But the context here, the tone, themes, messages of the show are worlds away from 'killing Adolf Hitler' or 'Roman orgies'. You are grafting bloody, raunchy human history from 35,000 feet onto an upbeat child-appropriate science fiction tale of a family of flawed people, their mistakes, and the power of empathy and unconventional love to heal all wounds and beings (or not, if RS wants to go there). Which isn't to say you are wrong or bad for wanting to discuss that, but this thread is not your target audience.

This is where I live.

I have a job in the service industry involving direct contact with the public. I have to be polite and professional. When some douche complains about all the n----r oval office Welfare Queens while he tries to buy cigarettes with food stamps, I have to be smiling and silent and say "Yes, sir, no, sir, thank you very much and come again, sir," in a tone that sounds like I mean it.

There is a church in my town that is pastored by a man who came to it because The Devil, threatened to kill him if he did not leave his previous church. So he left his previous church. And somehow this is a point of pride to him. The people in that church love their cowardly lunatic pathway to Jesus and you never really know who knows who from where. So, it's best to be quiet.

I love Steven Universe not just for the characters and stories but for what it tells me. It tells me that not all is lost. That there is hope for things to get better, because right now, on a children's cartoon progressive thought, kindness, tolerance and understand are winning. So I sometimes get overenthused and wander astray. It's not abotu sex for me. It's about freedom and power and choice, about the refutation the Gems' fictional existence represents to the people who re-elected a man who wants pregnant women to be choiceless brood mares unless it is personally inconvenient to him.

Because that's where I live.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Paladinus posted:

I blame anime.

hmm

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

johntfs posted:

This is where I live.

I have a job in the service industry involving direct contact with the public. I have to be polite and professional. When some douche complains about all the n----r oval office Welfare Queens while he tries to buy cigarettes with food stamps, I have to be smiling and silent and say "Yes, sir, no, sir, thank you very much and come again, sir," in a tone that sounds like I mean it.

There is a church in my town that is pastored by a man who came to it because The Devil, threatened to kill him if he did not leave his previous church. So he left his previous church. And somehow this is a point of pride to him. The people in that church love their cowardly lunatic pathway to Jesus and you never really know who knows who from where. So, it's best to be quiet.

I love Steven Universe not just for the characters and stories but for what it tells me. It tells me that not all is lost. That there is hope for things to get better, because right now, on a children's cartoon progressive thought, kindness, tolerance and understand are winning. So I sometimes get overenthused and wander astray. It's not abotu sex for me. It's about freedom and power and choice, about the refutation the Gems' fictional existence represents to the people who re-elected a man who wants pregnant women to be choiceless brood mares unless it is personally inconvenient to him.

Because that's where I live.

My n---a, have you tried D&D?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

This is really what i mean that SU is a little too good. It's too good at capturing nerd hearts. Fandom is a machine designed to wring out more and more enjoyment out of a product. It's inevitably pathological, a trap of jouissance. It's no longer a source of pleasure for fans. When the source of jouissance is threatened, they react with all the grace of an unrepentant drug addict.

And here's some more German Romanticism, with arches!

Carl Gustav Carus, Goethe Monument

Franz Pforr, Shulamit and Mary

lfield
May 10, 2008

johntfs posted:

I love Steven Universe not just for the characters and stories but for what it tells me. It tells me that not all is lost. That there is hope for things to get better, because right now, on a children's cartoon progressive thought, kindness, tolerance and understand are winning.

you need your rear end kicked

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Corek posted:

And the real Bob Ross followed his drill sergeant ways to become the dictator of Alaska.
The Bob 'Fro became the most infamous hairstyle of history.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Caidin posted:

Steven Universe is almost two years old now, I started watching it when it first started and it's weird to me because I think I liked it's first year better then it's second, which I'm pretty sure is a minority opinion. poo poo, some of the shows most popular elements like fusion don't jive for me at all so I'm kind of an outlier already.

I don't know if I can really articulate it all but I liked the setting a little more before it started filling in the details, and liked the more high fantasy idea of the gems the show was using compared to the more sci fi mood it has now. The crystal gems were a dysfunctional family, but you didn't have the drama the show always has in the background with the gems these days. Homeworld is coming! Peridot is doing freaky poo poo and Pearl is falling apart and Garnets mad! The Earth is about to hatch in apocalyptic fashion! I mean I know the interviews and stuff said the monster hunting semi casual adventuring was the prelude and all but it was comfy to me.

I think I really miss Steven just messing around figuring out his powers, I loved Cat Fingers and Watermelon Steven. I mean he can dream walk and poo poo, that's rad as hell and I bet the gems don't what the gently caress about it. You could have him wandering into Pearls weird mental pocket dimension or something, it'd be neat.

I'm tired of the Pearl depression arc. I'm gonna it say straight, I think Pearl is the coolest character on the show by miles and only Steven comes close. She's this energetic tactical thinking astronuat bird lady who really wants to protect and teach her kid, and she was never even made to be a practical thing. All her skills and technical ability are something she's had to struggle for, kinda like a human even. That is rad as hell. But it sucks because it's been depression and self destructive behavior for the last half a year whenever she gets the spotlight, and even when she gets something like punching Peridot it's feels undermined because right after she gets flattened. I know it's character development and all but it just feels way too drawn out when it's 12 minutes episodes every other month.

It's still a great show, I try to catch most of the episodes. But I don't really feel like it makes me happy like it use to, so I decided to fart out this post and see if putting it down somewhere would help me organize my thoughts on it a little.

I do agree with most of what you've said, although I still think this season and the later half of Season One were better than the first half. I do wish we'd get another Monster of the Week style episode, especially since we haven't really returned to the plot point about corrupted Gem monsters and whether or not it's possible to heal them for a long time now...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Skeleton King posted:

Pearl's beard is fuckin pro tier.

Also, is johntf a satire account or something? Nobody could possibly make that many bad posts and be serious, right?

John is just an fool(albeit a sympathetic one after hearing what he has to deal with in RL), his posts are a lot more tolerable than BOTL's posts though, cause while BOTL is reasonably smart by Goon standards, he's also an insufferable and petty dick with a superiority complex and ego the size of Texas, who can't resist the urge to textually crap on everyone for enjoying things outside of his incredibly narrow pseudo-intellectual standards that would be borderline fascistic if he had any actual power or authority to enforce them, in BOTL's favor though I will admit he does have good taste in classical art

Unfortunately as I'm phone posting I'm unable to attach anything actually relevant to the thread's true topic so I apologize for that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Sin of Onan posted:

I do agree with most of what you've said, although I still think this season and the later half of Season One were better than the first half. I do wish we'd get another Monster of the Week style episode, especially since we haven't really returned to the plot point about corrupted Gem monsters and whether or not it's possible to heal them for a long time now...

I'm sure we'll get back to the MOTW stuff eventually, after all the Slinker is still on the loose, not to mention the dangling plotline with Centipeedle

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

John is just an fool(albeit a sympathetic one after hearing what he has to deal with in RL), his posts are a lot more tolerable than BOTL's posts though, cause while BOTL is reasonably smart by Goon standards, he's also an insufferable and petty dick with a superiority complex and ego the size of Texas, who can't resist the urge to textually crap on everyone for enjoying things outside of his incredibly narrow pseudo-intellectual standards that would be borderline fascistic if he had any actual power or authority to enforce them, in BOTL's favor though I will admit he does have good taste in classical art

Chill out. Watch The Joy of Panting. Nobody is taking your dumb fanfics and fanarts away.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
hm, bravestofthelamps seems like the real curmudgeonly taste maker of the Steven Universe thread

[internally] ill have to keep an eye on the ersatz super mecha godzilla if i hope to understand the show

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

actually bravest of the lamps is a good poster and is vital to this thread maintaining perspective and not going feral.

more feral.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Steven Universe is an excellent show. This thread is terrible and you're all terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

misadventurous posted:

Steven Universe is an excellent show. This thread is terrible and you're all terrible.

I was scrolling through it and I was just going to post "I hate this thread" but you beat me to it.

• Locked thread