Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who thinks these no spell casting flip werewolves are god awful.
It is one thing to play and land a skip your turn to flip a card, but to have that counteracted by your opponent playing the game in any shape or form is bogus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Am I the only one who thinks these no spell casting flip werewolves are god awful.
It is one thing to play and land a skip your turn to flip a card, but to have that counteracted by your opponent playing the game in any shape or form is bogus.

Did you play during the previous Innistrad? They work fine.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DangerDongs posted:

You're not the only one. Maro can jerk himself off all he wants over the ~flavor~ of monsters transforming back and forth, but for me, werewolves have always managed to be cool and fun to play despite rather than because of their tendency to flip back and forth.

It's pretty telling that the main werewolf to see any sort of constructed play (Huntmaster) is one of the few (only?) that actually gives you an upside for transforming back to its human side.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

JerryLee posted:

It's pretty telling that the main werewolf to see any sort of constructed play (Huntmaster) is one of the few (only?) that actually gives you an upside for transforming back to its human side.

Huntmaster's the only one with a when-transform trigger, and while there are a couple others where transforming back is good in some cases (Daybreak Ranger if you don't have a red source or need to remove a 4/2 flier, Hanweir Watchkeep if you can't safely attack), they don't give you any value for flipping back and forth.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
There's also the feelbad of doing land-go to flip one or more werewolves being countered by an instant EoT.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Huntmaster's the only one with a when-transform trigger, and while there are a couple others where transforming back is good in some cases (Daybreak Ranger if you don't have a red source or need to remove a 4/2 flier, Hanweir Watchkeep if you can't safely attack), they don't give you any value for flipping back and forth.

The reason Huntmaster sees play is because he's value town all around. None of the other werewolves are. They don't really have constructed playable human sides, except for the huntmaster who does a kitchen finks impersonation while making a second creature, and then becomes Flametongue Kavu.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's like Goblin Glory Chaser except you can't burn your opponent's blocker out of the way.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
How to lose at Ravnica draft: put Dark Confidant in your deck

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Angry Grimace posted:

How to lose at Ravnica draft: put Dark Confidant in your deck

Alternatively, how to win at Ravnica draft: put Dark Confidant in your deck

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Alternatively, how to win at Ravnica draft: put Dark Confidant in your deck

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Greatness, at the cost of a few packs.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://lrcast.com/exclusive-lr-shadows-over-innistrad-preview-cards/

Some delirium uncommons. Imgur is being a butt or I would upload them. White one doesnt really fit with the others.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bugsy posted:

http://lrcast.com/exclusive-lr-shadows-over-innistrad-preview-cards/

Some delirium uncommons. Imgur is being a butt or I would upload them. White one doesnt really fit with the others.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Green seems far and away the best, blue seems to actively work against you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Black Lotus, Cabal Ritual, Yawgmoth's Will. If they hadn't printed Dark Petition last summer, this card would get Vintage play.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

the blue one should say target player, which would turn it from possibly the worst card to use in a graveyard set into a very nice addition to a self-mill deck

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chamale posted:

Black Lotus, Cabal Ritual, Yawgmoth's Will. If they hadn't printed Dark Petition last summer, this card would get Vintage play.

I was thinking the same thing.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
(on phone, don't have a link, but a podcast I listen to just spoiled this)

Second Harvest
2GG
Instant
Rare

For each token you control, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that permanent.

It's pretty cool! I got two raging clues...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Confirm Suspicions
3UU
Instant
Counter target spell.

Investigate three times. (Put a colorless Clue artifact token onto the battlefield with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

Investigate, investigate, investigate!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

hello reckless waif v2.0

Good to see big window is still a thing on Innistrad!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The blue one was almost certainly a product of development nurfing a decent card. If you have delirium dont worry your opponents might soon as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Confirm Suspicions
3UU
Instant
Counter target spell.

Investigate three times. (Put a colorless Clue artifact token onto the battlefield with "2, Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

Investigate, investigate, investigate!

Ah, the classic "rare unconditional counter using the new set mechanic".

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Five mana counters are almost never even playable in limited, or are like very niche one ofs like Fall of the Gavel or w/e. I have no idea why they keep printing them

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

hello reckless waif v2.0

"I'm afraid it's bad news."

"Oh, no! Please, tell me my husband's alright..!"

"I'm sorry ma'am, but your husband i-HARRRBRLRLHLRHLRL"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

hello reckless waif v2.0

Card seems real strong in limited if you're on the play.

DangerDongs posted:

They're mostly for limited, and I think the idea is to just give your cheap creatures some extra value in the late game. Leads to a lot of strategically planning out when to cast your spells. Also leads to some non-games when you miss your three drop against a couple werewolves and can never recover.

rabidsquid posted:

Five mana counters are almost never even playable in limited, or are like very niche one ofs like Fall of the Gavel or w/e. I have no idea why they keep printing them

I dunno, the upside is so huge that I could see it being used as a mediocre finisher. Definitely a card you'll have to play around. If you're ahead on board against a blue player in the late game, you might want to just stop casting spells.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

rabidsquid posted:

I'd play it in a control deck, though whether it would start in the sideboard or not depends a lot on how the aggro decks function. Not a first pick, especially since it doesn't read "Counter Target Spell and Draw 3", but it definitely has a place as solid long-term card advantage and removal.

It's almost certain to be fantastic in sealed, however, and if I had to guess why it's a rare (besides being a counterspell), it's because too many of these would turn sealed to trash very quickly.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

GeneX posted:

It's almost certain to be fantastic in sealed, however, and if I had to guess why it's a rare (besides being a counterspell), it's because too many of these would turn sealed to trash very quickly.
How not to destroy Limited with it: don't have it give you three clue tokens duh

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

They couldn't have "fixed" the blue one by simply making it mill fewer cards and then allowing you to target any player including yourself? As is it's just trash.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

little munchkin posted:

Card seems real strong in limited if you're on the play.

It's going to see a ton of standard play too.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
It might be the most interesting red 1-drop in a while. The tension caused by the flip clause is very real (especially given the deck he wants to go in usually wants to vomit its hand), and he has the outside chance to be something close to a Goblin Guide with no downside against slow decks (hell, even just "normal" decks), while being nothing more than Raging Goblin in the mirror.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bad rare! Bad!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Hey look at that a doubling season effect that isn't a permant.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pre-emptively pouring one out for the kid with the all-tokens deck that gets Kozilek's Returned in response to casting this.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
That's why you just copy your clue tokens!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

whydirt posted:

ooh, I doesn't actually say creature. I didn't think of that.

Clue_Harvest.dec

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a blue dork that lets you cash in clues for less mana or makes mana that can only be used to activate a clue.

Like "Tap: Add CC to your mana pool. This mana can only be used to activate the ability of Clue tokens."

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Well with clue tokens, EDH decks have another reason to run Rings of Brighthearth

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

whydirt posted:

sounds cool for the guy talking about running G/U Thopters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

• Locked thread