Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

YggiDee posted:

You can grab it from Plazmataz's tumblr here.
Sweet, thanks bro! I am not an avid follower of the tumblr circles so I wasn't really sure where to look.

And tangentially, having browsed this brilliant man's tumblr now, thanks peripherally for leading me to find this gem of a fan-work based around the same song. Not normally much for fan-made lyrical stuff but wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

CidGregor posted:

Sweet, thanks bro! I am not an avid follower of the tumblr circles so I wasn't really sure where to look.

And tangentially, having browsed this brilliant man's tumblr now, thanks peripherally for leading me to find this gem of a fan-work based around the same song. Not normally much for fan-made lyrical stuff but wow.

She's done a few Homestuck songs and they're all brilliant. Pyrocumulus is catchy as all hell.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And then they took it to the next level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iTuH5DNPo4

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
So, music question.

How could one find out which homestuck tracks are remixes of other which homestuck tracks? For some reason I feel the need to mentally organize them into like, musical family trees.

Edit: VV

ShardPhoenix posted:

The Homestuck wiki has a pretty good list: http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Sound

I really like how Homestuck music remixes and reuses themes like this (although as people have pointed out before, Doctor is used a *lot*).

Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

Commutator fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2012

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Only The Escapist would think that "fans of something make fanart" is a big deal. :allears:

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Commutator posted:

So, music question.

How could one find out which homestuck tracks are remixes of other which homestuck tracks? For some reason I feel the need to mentally organize them into like, musical family trees.

The Homestuck wiki has a pretty good list: http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Sound

I really like how Homestuck music remixes and reuses themes like this (although as people have pointed out before, Doctor is used a *lot*).

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Only The Escapist would think that "fans of something make fanart" is a big deal. :allears:
Sounds like the author was just a Homestuck fan who wanted to talk about it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
You know how it is, you spend all day loving about on the internet and suddenly it's fourty minutes before deadline and you have to turn something in.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

ShardPhoenix posted:

Even beyond the remixes and overt references, it's cool how the music team has treated certain themes as leitmotifs. The piano theme from Sburban Jungle that begins with the descending M2-M2-m2 is probably the best example; bits and pieces of that one shows up everywhere. One particularly clever use is Bowman's "Dawn of Man," which is built on an inversion of the above theme.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Commutator posted:

So, music question.

Here's another list that includes all of the songs from all of the albums. And seems to be very thorough in terms of even including things that are just briefly quoted.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Here's another list that includes all of the songs from all of the albums. And seems to be very thorough in terms of even including things that are just briefly quoted.

I really like this. Thanks for posting it.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Hmm, there aren't any Bill Bolin songs mentioned on that list, but the only one that was a remix was Kinetic Verdancy, right?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had a Homestuck dream last night :ohdear:

Silva
Aug 26, 2003

Time is the fire in which we burn

Dr Christmas posted:

I had a Homestuck dream last night :ohdear:

Man I have had some of the weirdest Homestuck related dreams. I won't go into detail about it because nobody wants to hear about your dreams anyways.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So yeah, saw a gaggle of Homestuck cosplayers hanging around the Boston Public Gardens an hour or so ago. Not really sure why they were all there, but I am pretty glad I didn't decide to wear my Dave record shirt today. Coulda ended badly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Death by landwhale?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

So yeah, saw a gaggle of Homestuck cosplayers hanging around the Boston Public Gardens an hour or so ago. Not really sure why they were all there, but I am pretty glad I didn't decide to wear my Dave record shirt today. Coulda ended badly.

I'm actually kind of sad that I live in a town small enough that I've never seen a single Homestuck t-shirt or cosplay. I'd be far too embarrassed to actually participate in anything like that, but I wouldn't mind giving them a knowing nod as I passed them on the sidewalk.

The closest I've come is that I think it would be interesting to try to fabricate, as closely as possible, some of the props in the story? Like one of John's hammers or one of the countless wearable computers.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

loquacius posted:

That place is kind of amazing these days. Last time I was there, it was people playing Quidditch.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

I'm actually kind of sad that I live in a town small enough that I've never seen a single Homestuck t-shirt or cosplay. I'd be far too embarrassed to actually participate in anything like that, but I wouldn't mind giving them a knowing nod as I passed them on the sidewalk.

The closest I've come is that I think it would be interesting to try to fabricate, as closely as possible, some of the props in the story? Like one of John's hammers or one of the countless wearable computers.

Prop building seems pretty fun, I remember watching some old friends woodwork some swords for a renaissance fair a few summers go, and always wanted to have those kinds of skills. Although I guess for cosplay a lot of people somehow make things like weapons and armor out of plastic? I have no idea how they even shape that stuff or whatever they do, but I'm really curious about it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If it's like the old fan-made Stormtrooper armor, it's probably some form of vacuum-forming. You make a model out of some easy-to-craft material, like wood or foam, making a mold from it, and then use a vacuum (somehow) to apply an affordable plastic to the mold.

I looked briefly at how people were making things like Mass Effect guns and Portal Guns, and those seem to be less often plastic and more often something else, painted to look like plastic / metal.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Bobulus posted:

I would kill for a perfect copy of the ~ATH manual doc scratch uses in his narration full of the colourful blood and MSPA panel clippings.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Silva posted:

Man I have had some of the weirdest Homestuck related dreams. I won't go into detail about it because nobody wants to hear about your dreams anyways.
Almost all of my Homestuck dreams have been weirdly intense. I had several before I even started reading the comic. I don't know what's up with that.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

this is the leadin to your otherkin confession right

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm a smuppetkin, dad. Deal with it.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Gul Banana posted:

this is the leadin to your otherkin confession right
Yes. The dream I had where I was trying to read the comic, but kept falling behind because the puzzles were too unforgiving led me to the realisation that I am secretly Cherubkin. Check your not-having-phantom-giant-cheekbones privilege, you cherubist.

No, I was aware of the comic for some time before I decided to read it.

I wonder why we haven't seen uu's face yet. Wouldn't he look more or less the same as Calliope? Or does he have the Lord English pool ball eyes? He did complain that Jake was stealing his look.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
We are almost definitely going to be seeing uu's face in one of the two upcoming flashes, what with Calliope going to sleep and the choose your character with each last panel getting closer to his face.

On that note, I'm kind of curious what the first flash is going to be, given that the second will be the end of act. Some kind of walkaround/interactive maybe?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Lord of Laughton posted:

On that note, I'm kind of curious what the first flash is going to be, given that the second will be the end of act. Some kind of walkaround/interactive maybe?

I'm guessing uu:Wake. He's been revealed to be an actually super-important player, so I assume his full reveal will have a lot of pomp. It'll probably also show how the scarswapagus works.

Using The Thirteenth Hour (hopefully) :allears:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
My guess is Flash #1 will be uu waking up and loving things up and maybe entering. The EoA will then be Dirk rescuing everyone and the mass entry.

Or maybe it will be the other way around.

Or maybe some weird combo thing.

You know what, gently caress it I got no idea.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Not really sure any predictions can be really accurate. Given this flash has taken over a week now I think it's going to be pretty big, and might cover both what the kids are doing and what will happen with uu. I don't suspect we'll get much closure as to the kids' situation until the end of the coming intermission, though.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Completely unrelated, but does anybody know who the song Nightlife is by? It's in Volume 2.

edit: Also, I would like to know the artists of Mutiny and Contention from Volume 4.

Doug Rattman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 9, 2012

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Flash 1 is gonna be [S] Serenity: Fast forward to bug in amber found by John in Act 4. Flash 2 will be [S] Bug in amber: Fast forward to Serenity.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

creationist believer posted:

Flash 1 is gonna be [S] Serenity: Fast forward to bug in amber found by John in Act 4. Flash 2 will be [S] Bug in amber: Fast forward to Serenity.

They will both be 10 minutes long.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

creationist believer posted:

Flash 2 will --> link to Flash 1. The only way to progress to the newest comic will be through a potholed link in Flash 2 itself, much like in the Insert Disk 2 flash.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Doug Rattman posted:

Completely unrelated, but does anybody know who the song Nightlife is by? It's in Volume 2.

edit: Also, I would like to know the artists of Mutiny and Contention from Volume 4.

Those songs are all by Bill Bolin, who, for a variety of reasons, has had his works removed from both the comic and from the albums.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And they're not currently able to be purchased on Bandcamp. You naughty pirate, you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unless you bought the albums when they were first released. You naughty procrastinator you.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

SynthOrange posted:

Unless you bought the albums when they were first released. You naughty procrastinator you.

Yeah, but surely if he bought them legit they'd have the correct artist in the metadata already?

Bill Bolin did some great music; it's a shame he's a massive shithead.

edit: vvvv Oh, that's lovely as hell. vvvv

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 9, 2012

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah, but surely if he bought them legit they'd have the correct artist in the metadata already?

Bill Bolin did some great music; it's a shame he's a massive shithead.

The artist metadata for Volume tracks is solely listed as "Homestuck"

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. I wonder if we're actually going to get another intermission after this sub-act is done. I mean, there was a clear divide between the first two intermissions in Act 6, where we hadn't seen the trolls and pre-scratch kids for a while, so a year having gone by was logical.

But if another intermission starts and another year has gone by, it will be only pages after having last seen the exact same people. Makes the jump a lot more sudden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, we haven't seen John and Jade in a while, and there was another rather pressing matter at the end of the last intermission. Let's not forget the terrible peril that Ms. Paint is in!