Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Leavemywife posted:

Bio, can you give me the link to your LP playlists? And please tell me that you're doing an LP of that Mummy Returns game.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641127&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=521#post478671771

I linked all my LPs there 2 pages ago, all except the last one are archived, and the link to that last one is to the thread itself because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

timp posted:

Serious question: did they ask the original artist for permission and pay him/her for this? “Sanic” is different enough in both name and appearance to be its own thing...right?

Hell, is the original “artist” even known? Were they like 6 when they drew that?

I don't think fan artists really get to complain when poo poo like this happens because they didn't own the IP they were using originally to begin with. But maybe I'm wrong.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I'll always love with Get Even is it's unorthodox soundtrack - not only are the musical stings for the action sequences or the more surreal sequences very well synced with the action, but not in a Rhythm game kind of way, you still proceed at your own pace, is really satisfying to listen to, and some tracks are odd but in a way that works - like in the Graveyard level you have this bizarre Lyrical Pop-song that comes in whenever a firefight ensues which really throws you off, but it's because That memory is particularly corrupt so the entire thing is a total clusterfuck of clashing plot points that don't agree with each other.. It does really well with that aspect of it's presentation - I'm replaying it because I'm hoping it'll be my next Let's Play, although I may not be able to get the good ending as that is very tricky to get, so I may just have to post a video of that ending after the fact. (the hope is that this playthrough has done well enough to trigger the Good Ending, but if not ce la vie.)

Olivier Derivier owns bones, even if most of his stuff does full under the same "total clusterfuck of clashing plot points" Nilin the Memory Hunter from Remember Me is so messily grandiose, and I love it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFZ9oQItl2M

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Olivier Derivier owns bones, even if most of his stuff does full under the same "total clusterfuck of clashing plot points" Nilin the Memory Hunter from Remember Me is so messily grandiose, and I love it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFZ9oQItl2M

I felt that most of Get Even was consistent with what it established, although there may have been plotholes I didn't notice.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

BioEnchanted posted:

Glad to hear it. I just got the good ending, so now I know for sure that I can play well enough. I'll probably start the LP after Christmas because I have sooo much gushing to do about it. The bad ending is really loving satisfying though.

I'm with you on that. It's a shame no one has really heard of this game since it's such a criminally underrated gem.

I did find it weird that the bad ending is called that since Grace destroying the Pandora would have stopped everything from snowballing even more out of control and stop any more tragedies from happening. I feel that would make it the more logical and satisfying of the endings.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I felt that most of Get Even was consistent with what it established, although there may have been plotholes I didn't notice.

Oh I meant musically, he's very "classical, with incongruous electronic glitchiness"

Also, all this time I've thought the game was called Get Evan, and that the guy you played must therefore be called Evan.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I don't think fan artists really get to complain when poo poo like this happens because they didn't own the IP they were using originally to begin with. But maybe I'm wrong.

From what I understand, it's a rather large gray area, but the gist is that the artist doesn't own the rights to whatever they're drawing, but they do own the rights to that specific piece of art. That's how you can get artists selling fanart - they can't claim to own Sonic (in this case), but they can claim to own that depiction of Sonic. Or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

I'm with you on that. It's a shame no one has really heard of this game since it's such a criminally underrated gem.

I did find it weird that the bad ending is called that since Grace destroying the Pandora would have stopped everything from snowballing even more out of control and stop any more tragedies from happening. I feel that would make it the more logical and satisfying of the endings.

The endings are less Good and Bad, as they are Constructive and Vengeful - it's very Count of Monte Cristo, because most of the characters get some form of revenge but it destroys them eventually, so the Good Ending is more Grace rising above the circle of vengeance, and deciding to try to turn the Pandora to something less painful. Her father used the Pandora out of rage and paranoia, and it drove him insane. She will not make the same mistakes that Cole, Howard and Robert made - she will not win by destroying Rose Atkins, but by putting her somewhere she can do no more harm. Remember before the kidnapping the Pandora was designed to help with Dementia and Alzheimers - the intent was pure, but it was corrupted when Rose and Black conspired against it's creator.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jayme posted:

From what I understand, it's a rather large gray area, but the gist is that the artist doesn't own the rights to whatever they're drawing, but they do own the rights to that specific piece of art. That's how you can get artists selling fanart - they can't claim to own Sonic (in this case), but they can claim to own that depiction of Sonic. Or something.

Unfortunately not, according to An Actual Lawyer. Artists who sell fan art are doing it illegally, and Sega continues to own the rights to the Sonic property and derivative works created from it, even without Sega’s knowledge or approval.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Remember Me is probably a good candidate for this thread because it was a decent-yet-almost-great game that was essentially a whole that was somehow less than the sum of its parts. But while underwhelming as a total package the future aesthetic was amazing, the music was great, and it's the most definitely French media I've consumed since The Fifth Element.

I also appreciate the fact that in this game about beating the absolute poo poo out of various mutants and dystopian fascists, your character's plan to save the day was to stop mummy and daddy from fighting. :shobon:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Besesoth posted:

Unfortunately not, according to An Actual Lawyer. Artists who sell fan art are doing it illegally, and Sega continues to own the rights to the Sonic property and derivative works created from it, even without Sega’s knowledge or approval.

Actually, the artist owns the rights to the derivative work, but they can't do anything with it since that would be infringing the original copyright.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Breetai posted:

Remember Me

It was also fantastically pretty. I didn't enjoy playing it so much but that blend of future stuff and old world made me happy to go through it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

See also: pirates who pitch a fit about theft when their no-CD hacks get used by the companies whose games they pirated.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

See also: pirates who pitch a fit about theft when their no-CD hacks get used by the companies whose games they pirated.

Haven't emulators also been taken whole sale and re-purposed for games like sonic collections on the DS and poo poo?

Also not even close to the same thing, but the guy who made the mods for Nier Automata that let it run better on most hardware has it set up so it doesn't work on pirated versions, and he doesn't give a poo poo if people mod his mod to do so. But people still got super, super mad about it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Haven't emulators also been taken whole sale and re-purposed for games like sonic collections on the DS and poo poo?

Also not even close to the same thing, but the guy who made the mods for Nier Automata that let it run better on most hardware has it set up so it doesn't work on pirated versions, and he doesn't give a poo poo if people mod his mod to do so. But people still got super, super mad about it.

cheers for mentioning that, I'll be looking into those mods because the game does not seem terribly well optimised. Card seems like it does more work than it needs to for what I see on screen

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Goofballs posted:

cheers for mentioning that, I'll be looking into those mods because the game does not seem terribly well optimised. Card seems like it does more work than it needs to for what I see on screen

I think it's called FAR? I never needed it, but some people get issues that range from small performance things to straight up the game being unplayable and usually it seems to help.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Nuebot posted:

Some Emulators actually don't infringe on copyright though. Its why Dolphin hasn't been taken down.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's mostly the roms you run in an emulator that are the issue

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Goofballs posted:

It was also fantastically pretty. I didn't enjoy playing it so much but that blend of future stuff and old world made me happy to go through it

That game was Frenchpunk as hell. A piece of its concept art has been my iPad wallpaper since it came out.

I did like how after you memory hack that one bounty hunter and get her on your side, she disappears for most of the game and later on you find an out-of-the-way news item strongly implying that thanks to the altered memories you gave her she was motivated to run off and BLOW UP A HOSPITAL and this is only casually mentioned in passing and has no further consequences.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Nov 27, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Another little thing from The World Ends With You because I love that game way too much.

The game has a whole bunch of shops, from food places to clothing stores to high-end luxury places. Each shopkeeper has a gauge that goes up as you buy stuff, which unlocks further items for sale and information, but also represents how friendly they are with you. When you first go into a shop, most of them will simply give you a regular hello, but as it goes up, each of them have their own reactions. The girl running the register at a burger place asks if you want to hang after her shift, the grouchy old man running an expensive health food shop tells you that you should meet his grandson, you'd be great friends!, and so on. The guy running a new ramen shop becomes increasingly afraid that you're just coming in to see him and starts freaking out, the guy in the music outlet recommends new stuff they got in...there's a ton of detail and I love the amount of work they put in for something that's totally background to the actual game and could have been skipped or barely touched on, but it adds a lot of life to the Shibuya area and people.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Ghost Recon: Wildlands isn't a very good game, but I like that if you get in a vehicle and leave your AI companions behind, they just kind of teleport into the vehicle.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Internet Wizard posted:

It's mostly the roms you run in an emulator that are the issue

It's the Bios that's the issue. Dolphin doesn't include the bios so people can distribute the emulator without problems.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

That game was Frenchpunk as hell. A piece of its concept art has been my iPad wallpaper since it came out.

I did like how after you memory hack that one bounty hunter and get her on your side, she disappears for most of the game and later on you find an out-of-the-way news item strongly implying that thanks to the altered memories you gave her she was motivated to run off and BLOW UP A HOSPITAL and this is only casually mentioned in passing and has no further consequences.

This is more for the other thread, but that's mainly because Remember Me is a wretched hackjob of whatever the original writer's outline was, streeeeetched out over the game. It really feels like all they actually got done was the prologue, a bit of the first act, and the last hour or so of the game before leaving. Especially when four of the five memory remix sequences are at the very end of the game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Testekill posted:

It's the Bios that's the issue. Dolphin doesn't include the bios so people can distribute the emulator without problems.

Yeah, emulation for pretty much any system made after the 16-bit era is forced to do the "OK, use a copy of your TOTALLY LEGIT systems bios that you acquired legally *wink wink wink*" song and dance to get away with being functionally useless without violating copyright.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You just have to delete the ROMs in 24 hours, guys. Simple stuff.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Downloading NES ROMS when I was in high school in the early 2000s was both my introduction to copyright law and to the existence of hentai, thanks to all of the pop-up ads running on most of the ROM sites.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is more for the other thread, but that's mainly because Remember Me is a wretched hackjob of whatever the original writer's outline was, streeeeetched out over the game. It really feels like all they actually got done was the prologue, a bit of the first act, and the last hour or so of the game before leaving. Especially when four of the five memory remix sequences are at the very end of the game.

That explains a lot about my experience with the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Outside of the one I've skipped for now, the bosses in Pandora's Tower have been pretty interesting and fun. Just beat Rockshard Rampart, the next one after the second forest boss, (or Motherfucker as I've dubbed her) and the boss for that one had a cool gimmick - As you hit it, grappleable crystals come out of the limb you are striking, so you need to hit it's legs to cover one in crystal, then use the chainshot to shoot it's scorpion-like tail until a crystal grows out of the top. Then you drop from the tail and grab the flesh, and do as much damage as you can before it climbs the wall and you fall off. Took a while, Elena was pretty monstery by the time I'd done, but it was fun. I also like that now, in the second half, the plot is happening more and the dreams are getting more interesting - stuff is starting to happen, so I'm looking forward to where it goes.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

Sega's done this a bunch of times, although they legitimately bought the code from the emulator programmers IIRC. Sonic Mania was made partially by the guy who made a bootleg phone port of Sonic the Hedgehog.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Remember Me is deeply underrated in general. I really like it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

FactsAreUseless posted:

Remember Me is deeply underrated in general. I really like it.

on paper, remember me is exactly my poo poo. loving with memories? Check. Melee/Combo based combat system? Check. I was looking forward to it and then it came out with a wet fart. Care to give me a more accurate rundown?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

on paper, remember me is exactly my poo poo. loving with memories? Check. Melee/Combo based combat system? Check. I was looking forward to it and then it came out with a wet fart. Care to give me a more accurate rundown?

I liked the game a lot despite the flaws, I actually enjoyed that part with the weird pilot idiot making Red Riding Hood analogies. It was just stupid enough to be charming.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, in Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty at the end of the Zerg research line there's a choice you can make between a Psi Disruptor and a Hive Mind Emulator. The Disruptor is what most people pick, it passively debuffs Zerg in a considerable area and makes your life easier. The Emulator on the other hand is an active clicky power to mind control a Zerg unit. Seems like a cute gimmick, right? Well, thanks to youtube, I discovered this evening that there's no limit to the number of units an Emulator can control, only its energy bar and cooldown on the mind control. And you can build as many Emulators as you like, they're cheap. A cute gimmick turns into a really drat fun gimmick once you start grabbing entire waves of Zerg in a stroke and find yourself with an army of dozens if not hundreds of captive Zerg.

Thanks for the reinforcements, Kerrigan!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My favorite part of Asscreed Syndicate is that Jacob is such an absolute fuckup that almost makes him villanous, if he didn't have good intentions. By the point of the game where I am right now he has: ruined the healthcare in Britain, destroyed the public transport system and devalued the currency which caused an economic crisis. Every Sequence begins with a furious Evie desperately trying to restore order in the UK after his inevitable mess up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

It's deeply flawed - remember the terrible contextual platforming near the start? - but I really like it. It's got a bunch of unique poo poo in its writing, its characters, etc. I like the rhythm-based variation on brawler combat. There's only a couple actual bad fights. The memory editing can get tedious, but I liked it more than most adventure games.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

My favorite part of Asscreed Syndicate is that Jacob is such an absolute fuckup that almost makes him villanous, if he didn't have good intentions. By the point of the game where I am right now he has: ruined the healthcare in Britain, destroyed the public transport system and devalued the currency which caused an economic crisis. Every Sequence begins with a furious Evie desperately trying to restore order in the UK after his inevitable mess up.

All of which makes Evie's rage towards unbroken limbs understandable, she's just venting.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Something something political party

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Goddamn the final mission and finale of Quadrilateral Cowboy are satisfying. It's so loving worth the occasional bits of bullshit leading up to it (the Weevil's controls can go gently caress themselves).

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cythereal posted:

So, in Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty at the end of the Zerg research line there's a choice you can make between a Psi Disruptor and a Hive Mind Emulator. The Disruptor is what most people pick, it passively debuffs Zerg in a considerable area and makes your life easier. The Emulator on the other hand is an active clicky power to mind control a Zerg unit. Seems like a cute gimmick, right? Well, thanks to youtube, I discovered this evening that there's no limit to the number of units an Emulator can control, only its energy bar and cooldown on the mind control. And you can build as many Emulators as you like, they're cheap. A cute gimmick turns into a really drat fun gimmick once you start grabbing entire waves of Zerg in a stroke and find yourself with an army of dozens if not hundreds of captive Zerg.

Thanks for the reinforcements, Kerrigan!

Back when I was messing around with single player Brood War and cheat codes; I liked to use the Dark Archon's mind control to snag an SCV and a Drone and climb all three tech trees simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beaten the Arcadian tower in Pandora's Tower after having a lot of trouble with that boss - the boss was still annoying, but when I had the method of fighting her down she went easier than the Earthshatter Spire boss went, or at least faster. Something I like with the way the game works is when you know what you are doing, the enemies become easy - I compared it to Dark Souls before, but it's truer than I gave it credit for - the game is tightly put together enough that you can get through without getting overpowered - you genuinely can "get good"