Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Badger of Basra posted:

4000 contact tracers does not sound like enough for the entire loving state

I have a friend forwarding me internal documents coming out of the Houston med center and they indicate an estimated need of 30 contact tracers for 100,000 population.

So nope, not enough lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Howard E Butt Jr is still a massive piece of poo poo even if his onions were the size of my drat head when I went this morning

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sQh4Azrvve4

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
So what the hell is a contact tracer functionally supposed to do anyways? Phone up everyone who went to a specific walmart on the 24th?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

HEB also wants to keep people alive since dead people don't buy groceries which is more than we can say about virtually any level of government in this state

Dead plebes can't collect unemployment and make bad number go up!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You will find out on Nextdoor who got sick where and when sooner than waiting for Google-Apple crap to trace anything, let alone for the news to report it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I also find out on Nextdoor when the crossfit gym guys up the road are doing extra cardio by running through the neighborhood, because all the old rear end white people send loving APB phone alerts breathlessly warning about the urbans running in packs. Watch out! Be safe!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Spacebump posted:

HEB was more prepared than the people currently in charge of the federal government.

There is no federal government for this crisis. The balkanization of America has come to pass.

Most of the other states have already formed regional government response groups, and I like the look of county governments trying to rebel against more aggressively foolhardy state governments.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

i say swears online posted:

Howard E Butt Jr is still a massive piece of poo poo even if his onions were the size of my drat head when I went this morning

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sQh4Azrvve4

He's also dead and best I can tell was never really involved with the HEB business since his younger brother has been president for almost 50 years.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1254832927885668354?s=20

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Wow. I've heard a lot of digs about people from X state, and this is the most savage one by a mile

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

No Safe Word posted:

He's also dead and best I can tell was never really involved with the HEB business since his younger brother has been president for almost 50 years.

ha, i had no idea they were different people. i've been getting mad at those commercials for twenty years

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Marxalot posted:

I also find out on Nextdoor when the crossfit gym guys up the road are doing extra cardio by running through the neighborhood, because all the old rear end white people send loving APB phone alerts breathlessly warning about the urbans running in packs. Watch out! Be safe!

I have reported this information to the police.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Just picked my son up in Harris county. 40 minute round trip and not a single mask in sight. Thanks for taking all the teeth out of it, Abbot.

Not that the local cops hadn't publicly stated they wouldn't enforce it before that anyway. :rant:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

saintonan posted:

In Q&A Abbott has specifically mentioned that no jurisdiction can penalize anyone for not wearing a mask (i.e. Harris County).

yeah i guess we'll see about that, time or the counties/cities to start challenging the state

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Xarthor posted:

I want to know how retail businesses are going to regulate what 25% capacity is. Are they going to have a bouncer at the door with one of those clickers letting people have a 1-in-1-out policy? Because I think most angry boomers I've seen are just going to storm the doors and not give a gently caress if anyone tries to stop them. Same thing for churches. I'd bet practically anything that the pews are going to be full up this Sunday.

grocery stores have been doing this, but they have alot more staff than these places so yeah

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FoolyCharged posted:

Just picked my son up in Harris county. 40 minute round trip and not a single mask in sight. Thanks for taking all the teeth out of it, Abbot.

Not that the local cops hadn't publicly stated they wouldn't enforce it before that anyway. :rant:

I went to trader joes yesterday and everyone in there was wearing a mask, this will certainly be a class/ideology thing thanks to the right being incapable of ever getting over that poo poo and the dems being pathetic bitches

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Same but a few days (a week?) ago and HEB. Never seen a door clicker guy though.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I felt socially pressured to wear a mask to go to Tom Thumb. I hope wearing a mask just becomes the new normal as more and more people provide death stares to anyone not wearing one in public. Government won't save us. Only angry people around us will save us.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

poemdexter posted:

I felt socially pressured to wear a mask to go to Tom Thumb. I hope wearing a mask just becomes the new normal as more and more people provide death stares to anyone not wearing one in public. Government won't save us. Only angry people around us will save us.

I gave death glares to all the maskless people at my local Whole Foods (just across the Dallas County line where the mask ordinance doesn't reach) but I don't know if it works. A lot of them are going maskless out of spite and "muh freedoms", so they relish the hate.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

smoobles posted:

I gave death glares to all the maskless people at my local Whole Foods (just across the Dallas County line where the mask ordinance doesn't reach) but I don't know if it works. A lot of them are going maskless out of spite and "muh freedoms", so they relish the hate.

Getting groceries on Saturday in Harris County, the brief moments of eye contact I had with the maskless dads bravely defying the tyranny of the county judge they were just waiting for people to give them exactly this attention.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

smoobles posted:

Comrayn posted:

Getting groceries on Saturday in Harris County, the brief moments of eye contact I had with the maskless dads bravely defying the tyranny of the county judge they were just waiting for people to give them exactly this attention.

Yeah, for me I was in the "please let me live peacefully in this society" group. I totally understand there's a lot of "defending my freedom to contract plague" people around. I can totally see a situation where if this was maybe 2014 and Obama was like "hey guys, don't drink the bleach please," there would all of a sudden be more bleach related deaths than corona. Some people are just assholes and unfortunately with corona around, they are risking the health of other people instead of just being dicks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1255130302655148033?s=20

It's all Abbott ever wanted.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Marxalot posted:

Same but a few days (a week?) ago and HEB. Never seen a door clicker guy though.

HEB has been sporadic. The one in Montrose was doing it last time I was there, but some of the other ones aren't. Probably depends on staffing and how busy they are.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

smoobles posted:

this is an unusually perfect example of why libertarianism is such a fraud. The whole point of the mask is to keep the wearer from getting other people sick, not so that they don't get sick themselves. not wearing a mask is explicitly effecting those around you.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I don't know about the rest of you, but I hope my employer leaves the option to work from home even after they decide to open their doors. I won't feel safe until a few months after everything opens back up just to ensure it wasn't premature (we all know it will be).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

poemdexter posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I hope my employer leaves the option to work from home even after they decide to open their doors. I won't feel safe until a few months after everything opens back up just to ensure it wasn't premature (we all know it will be).

Until there's significant testing or a vaccine, I will continue to work from home since my wife is immuno-compromised and I have to take care of her. Thankfully it's very doable with my job.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm really looking forward to HEB continuing to require masks for entry and some chud having a complete meltdown over it.

That must not be a company wide policy, I went without one last week.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
it would own if companies told abbott to gently caress off and required customers to wear masks

they wont but it would be funny if they did

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

it would own if companies told abbott to gently caress off and required customers to wear masks

they wont but it would be funny if they did

I believe Abbot said businesses were free (but not mandated) to require customers wear masks. It’s just the local governments who can’t require them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't understand why some refuse to wear masks. It's easy to make one out of a shirt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I don't understand why some refuse to wear masks. It's easy to make one out of a shirt.

I tried making one from a T-shirt and it’s really awkward and uncomfortable.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

General Dog posted:

I believe Abbot said businesses were free (but not mandated) to require customers wear masks. It’s just the local governments who can’t require them.

More specifically, local jurisdictions can't fine anyone that doesn't wear a mask. In theory they could make it a requirement, but they wouldn't be able to enforce it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

General Dog posted:

"No, you must trust these corporations to do the right thing!"
:911:

Spacebump posted:

The initial order that prompted all the backlash in Harris let you just use a scarf or something. It was the most relaxed thing ever and didnt deserve the ridiculous response it got.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

More specifically, local jurisdictions can't fine anyone that doesn't wear a mask. In theory they could make it a requirement, but they wouldn't be able to enforce it.

Businesses have the right to refuse service

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Spacebump posted:

because the libs are telling them to do it

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

FoolyCharged posted:

"No, you must trust these corporations to do the right thing!"
:911:

The initial order that prompted all the backlash in Harris let you just use a scarf or something. It was the most relaxed thing ever and didnt deserve the ridiculous response it got.

I’m guessing it has to due with how buttmad republicans and white liberals got when every republican county office holder was voted out in 2018.

I’m in northwest Houston and as far as I’ve seen mask use varies a lot.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

Businesses have the right to refuse service

Businesses yes; cities and counties, no. Businesses can say 'you have to have a mask to get service', but counties can't say 'we'll fine you $1000 if you're in a public place without a mask'.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
id be much more ok with the $1k fine if the cops first gave the person a mask and then got fined if they just refused to wear one at all

but that would require the cops helping people and theyre not really programmed that way

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

Businesses yes; cities and counties, no. Businesses can say 'you have to have a mask to get service', but counties can't say 'we'll fine you $1000 if you're in a public place without a mask'.

Sure, I'm just saying what “enforcement” will look like if HEB or whatever decides on a mandatory mask policy: you can't go in. Being a contrarian dickhead lib owner isn't a protected class (yet)

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I went to the grocery for the first time today since the beginning of March, pleasantly surprised that everyone was wearing a mask except one dude who just grabbed a cart and waltzed in through the door, skipping the entire line of people waiting outside before the worker could stop him. Also a boomer couple were holding masks but not wearing them, and one lady inside the store just kind of pulled hers down to her chin while she was looking at the selection. My mask got kind of hard to breath through after an hour and my face had just started to get a little sweaty by the time I arrived home so after all those precautions, I opened the door, set the groceries down, took the mask off and then absentmindedly wiped some sweat off my lip with the back of my hand. :sigh:

FoolyCharged posted:

My issue when I heard about the order was that it didn't sound like they had any way of distributing masks to people who didn't have one, and expecting people to have one is kind of ridiculous considering even hospitals are having trouble getting them right now. Going "yeah, you can just wear a shirt over your face and it's fine" mitigates that a bit but if they're going to be that loose about it then what's the point of enforcing it? I guess if it gets more people to take the mask thing seriously it's worth it, it just feels like there's a better way to do this, or there would be if the federal response wasn't such a massive clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/EddieforTexas/status/1255192942471516164

Some good news