Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Self driving cars already killed someone, and a judge just decided that the company that made the car isn't responsible for it.

Self-driving cars are a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, and they won't work. But they're still coming. They're gonna kill more people, and it looks like they're gonna disproportionately kill black people. But who's gonna stop them?

Self-driving cars have killed one person so far. One. People-driven cars kill way more than that every freaking day. More than a million people die in car crashes every year worldwide. Self-driving cars not having a perfect safety record isn't a reason to not use them. So far they've proven to be far safer than people-driven cars. From the looks of things they're going to kill fewer people than people do when driving cars.

Uber has been driving the things around Pittsburgh off and on for a while now and literally nobody has died to a crash caused by an autonomous car but people wreck non-autonomous cars so drat often you'd think somebody was paying them to. I haven't heard of a single wreck from their cars either; I imagine that'd be huge news. I'm not the biggest Uber fan by any means but self-driving cars are surprisingly safe.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Self-driving cars have killed one person so far. One. People-driven cars kill way more than that every freaking day.

That's an extremely dumb comparison and you know it. Divide that "one" by the number of self-driving cars active per day and the "way more" by the number of people who drive per day and then you have a fair comparison.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Self-driving cars have killed one person so far. One. People-driven cars kill way more than that every freaking day. More than a million people die in car crashes every year worldwide. Self-driving cars not having a perfect safety record isn't a reason to not use them. So far they've proven to be far safer than people-driven cars. From the looks of things they're going to kill fewer people than people do when driving cars.

This is real dumb dude. How many miles are driven every day by humans? How many miles are driven every day by self-driving cars? You have to compare it based on fatalities per mile driven.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

i'm glad that even though we have different suggestions for the denominator we still agree in spirit, grip weed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mocking the techno-futurism of self-driving car proponents can bring together the most unlikely allies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just wait till government mandates selfdriving cars and demands everyone has to have a second insurance policy to cover the driverless car on top of the vehicle insurance they already have to protect the car companies from lawsuits.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Turok is much better than Turok 2

Gripweed posted:

Mocking the techno-futurism of self-driving car proponents can bring together the most unlikely allies.

you're not the only one who can spew buzzwords! watch this: synergy

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

spit on my clit posted:

Turok is much better than Turok 2

I think Turok 2 had better weapons, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When it comes to autonomous cars, I'm less skeptical of the technology itself than the fact that it's ceding another aspect of our lives to Silicon Valley to control. They already have so much power over us: what we see from Internet searches, email (Gmail), how we communicate (social media), and where we buy and sell a majority of goods online.

The past few years have shown that the Valley isn't really worthy of our trust. I just think we should be careful before we're too quick to put faith in their utopian propaganda about autonomous cars.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Assassins are bad people. They're just serial killers but they do it for money instead of boners. We should stop acting like they're cool.

Instead of assassins, society should glorify arsonists. There should be cool movies about hot guys in suits who get paid lots of money to burn down buildings. There should be video games where you have to figure out how to get into a building, light it on fire, and get out without being detected.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Assassins are bad people. They're just serial killers but they do it for money instead of boners. We should stop acting like they're cool.

Instead of assassins, society should glorify arsonists. There should be cool movies about hot guys in suits who get paid lots of money to burn down buildings. There should be video games where you have to figure out how to get into a building, light it on fire, and get out without being detected.

aren't arsonists just assassins with a different weapon? I mean, unless you're committing insurance fraud, arsonists don't seem to target unoccupied buildings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Most arsonists target unoccupied buildings. they don't want to kill people, they just want to burn something down. Also it's a lot easier to burn a building to the ground if there's nobody inside who's gonna object to it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess I just don't have the arsonists mindset. If you want to set something on fire just make a bigass bonfire. No reason to set a building on fire unless there are people in there that you want to get rid of.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Assassins kill powerful people and powerful people usually suck. Serial killers kill innocent people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I guess I just don't have the arsonists mindset. If you want to set something on fire just make a bigass bonfire. No reason to set a building on fire unless there are people in there that you want to get rid of.

It’s really sad that you are too old to be friends with Count Olaf

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Henchman of Santa posted:

Assassins kill powerful people

Lol no. That's a myth created by movies and games that portray assassins as cool dudes who kill rich people in villas. In real life assassins are lovely dudes who kill mob witnesses and the spouses of people who don't want to get a divorce.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

spit on my clit posted:

so in other words the people developing these cars thought that if it could detect white people, it could detect black people, and didn't think to make sure that it could detect black people. well, the people making these cars better get their asses on fixing these issues.

calling it racist is loving stupid though

now for a real unpopular opinion: Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game

Agreed. Agreed,

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Lol no. That's a myth created by movies and games that portray assassins as cool dudes who kill rich people in villas. In real life assassins are lovely dudes who kill mob witnesses and the spouses of people who don't want to get a divorce.

Those are hitmen. Totally different thing. You have to reach a certain level of importance to be assassinated.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

Assassins kill powerful people and powerful people usually suck. Serial killers kill innocent people.

Assassins only kill powerful people for money, which only feeds into the terrible system and allows even worse people to hold onto power.

What we need is synthesis, a serial killer who gets turned on by killing the rich and powerful.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kind of related: I never understood why that test in the bourne movies where you have to shoot a stranger with a bag over their head was made out to be a big deal. What does it matter who they are? You applied for this job, part of it involves following orders without having all the information, why wouldn't you trust your superiors that there is a good reason to shoot them?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MizPiz posted:

Assassins only kill powerful people for money, which only feeds into the terrible system and allows even worse people to hold onto power.

What we need is synthesis, a serial killer who gets turned on by killing the rich and powerful.

Yes but often the clandestine agency employing them turns on them forcing them to dismantle it which is actually good.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

christmas boots posted:

Yes but often the clandestine agency employing them turns on them forcing them to dismantle it which is actually good.

The clandestine agencies are the worse people

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

There should be video games where you have to figure out how to get into a building, light it on fire, and get out without being detected.
I'd play the absolute loving poo poo out of this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MizPiz posted:

The clandestine agencies are the worse people

Exactly, which is why we cheer for the assassin when he kills them all after they betray him

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Some do. Plenty of bushfires (insert local term as preferred) are started by arsonists, either deliberately or because something got out of hand.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
arsonists are just grown up children who get angry when they remember their parents telling them to put that match out

also colossal dumbasses who will rightfully end up setting themselves on fire. now there's a good show

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

christmas boots posted:

Exactly, which is why we cheer for the assassin when he kills them all after they betray him

:hmmyes:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Some do. Plenty of bushfires (insert local term as preferred) are started by arsonists, either deliberately or because something got out of hand.

PHUO: ironically, bushfire is one of the few australian terms that is perfectly reasonable. Bikies doona lolly CBD swagman billabong

E: there are exactly 3 good places to live in this world. They are Montréal, Denver, and Strasbourg, in any order.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:06 on Mar 9, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: there are exactly 3 good places to live in this world. They are Montréal, Denver, and Strasbourg, in any order.

this but instead its compton, detroit, and florida

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Denver sucked and some homeless guy followed me down the street singing at me until i gave him some quarters. It wasn't a very good song.

and the real top 3 places to live are switzerland (except for geneva), northern new mexico, and northern norway, at least during the summer when it's not dark all the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Switzerland isn’t allowed because it’s literally impossible to not be jealous of native-born swiss people.

Northern New Mexico is just southern Colorado and the arctic is good BECAUSE of the forever winter

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Switzerland isn’t allowed because it’s literally impossible to not be jealous of native-born swiss people.

Northern New Mexico is just southern Colorado and the arctic is good BECAUSE of the forever winter

24 hour daylight is far superior to the opposite. Perma-night is just depressing. It's hard to enjoy so much natural beauty when you can't see any of it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Most of Norway, or Finland, are not north of the arctic circle. So for most people in those countries it's more like an extended twilight. It can also be very bright during winter when there is snow everywhere and a full moon, because snow reflects light.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ladies should go on a clothes buying strike until lady clothing manufacturers agree to standardize sizes.

https://twitter.com/chloemmx/status/1104013214013116417

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

Ladies should go on a clothes buying strike until lady clothing manufacturers agree to standardize sizes.
It's increasingly men's clothes too these days. So... equality? :eng99:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

having number sizes that don't correspond to any physical unit is just dumb. Sizes in general should not exist, just put how big around it is in inches/cm and be done with it. People need pants all the time, you don't have to butter them up and make them feel thinner than they are to make them buy your product. Just tell them what they are buying and focus your energy on quality and appearance instead of flattery.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

having number sizes that don't correspond to any physical unit is just dumb. Sizes in general should not exist, just put how big around it is in inches/cm and be done with it. People need pants all the time, you don't have to butter them up and make them feel thinner than they are to make them buy your product. Just tell them what they are buying and focus your energy on quality and appearance instead of flattery.

Yeah, but then a bunch of marketing people would be out of work.

But I suppose it's possible there'd be a downside too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/chloemmx/status/1104013214013116417

4 of the 6 look like they are the same size.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

It's increasingly men's clothes too these days. So... equality? :eng99:

at least men's pants have number measurements. Sure, different companies seem to have different ideas of how long an inch is, but still

Solice Kirsk posted:

4 of the 6 look like they are the same size.

4 of the 6 of the 7 pants pictured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Didn't see the other dark pair there.