Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sandman McMahon posted:

Pretty sure Sable was gone well before Chyna started actually wrestling as well.

Sable was Women's Champion when Chyna was in the Rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Sable was Women's Champion when Chyna was in the Rumble.

Yeah but that was the very start of her actually working matches (against guys all the way up until the end of 2000 no less) and Sable was gone by May so if you look closely I believe you’ll find that

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 14, 2022

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

IIRC, Chyna didn't even have a proper singles match against another woman until the 2001 Rumble or thereabouts. The only match prior that involved another woman was the mixed tag at SummerSlam 2000 where she won the IC title for the second time off of Val Venis, who was tagging with Trish Stratus.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Chyna thought the women's division was below her at that time so there was no chance of a match with Sable. Also probably wouldn't have made sense since Chyna was a face for most of Sable's run as a wrestler, right? She turned right before Sable left the company but there was no way that match would work then.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I mean, considering the state of the women's division in the WWF at the time, it's hard not to see where she was coming from.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

I mean, considering the state of the women's division in the WWF at the time, it's hard not to see where she was coming from.

As per Wikipedia:

quote:

Sable continued to hold the championship for almost six months, but on May 10, 1999, Debra won the Women's Championship from Sable in an Evening Gown match. Normally in an Evening Gown match, the winner is the woman who forcibly removes her opponent's dress, which Sable did. As part of the storyline, WWF Commissioner Shawn Michaels, however, ruled that the woman who had lost her dress was the winner, making Debra the new Women's Champion. Off-screen, Sable was in a dispute with the WWF, which is why she was stripped of the title on-screen.[23] Sable at this time was also very unpopular backstage, to the extent that Sean Waltman has since admitted to playing a nasty practical joke on her last day with the WWF.[24]

Pretty sure this says it all lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I recently looked at an old 2006 thread and the first thing I saw was like a "bra and panties gauntlet match" and I just stared at it for a minute, like, I remember women's wrestling being a pure misogynist spectacle and all but I forgot how long it went on

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, even when they did have Chyna win the woman's title the crux of the match iirc was basically that she was going in to it highly injured so ivory actually stood a chance against her. Having her compete in the woman's division of that time was basically a lose lose situation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I recently looked at an old 2006 thread and the first thing I saw was like a "bra and panties gauntlet match" and I just stared at it for a minute, like, I remember women's wrestling being a pure misogynist spectacle and all but I forgot how long it went on

THE PUPPIES! THE PUPPIES! THE PUPPIES JAY ARE!!!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
There's some great American/Canadian women workers that I feel bad didn't get to start in this era instead of the early 2000s. Ivory, Gail Kim, etc. Even Trish and Lita.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

There's some great American/Canadian women workers that I feel bad didn't get to start in this era instead of the early 2000s. Ivory, Gail Kim, etc. Even Trish and Lita.

Molly Holly immediately comes to mind as someone who would've been a huge deal 10-15 years later instead of a comedy sidekick.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The funny things is while not perfect the run with the Women's title with Medusa and Bull Nakano feuding was a pretty good starting point for a Women's division and could of been built into something good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The funny things is while not perfect the run with the Women's title with Medusa and Bull Nakano feuding was a pretty good starting point for a Women's division and could of been built into something good

Apparently the joshi stuff freaked Vince out and is why he shitcanned the entire division for a while.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently the joshi stuff freaked Vince out and is why he shitcanned the entire division for a while.

Freaked him out in what way? I am watching through late 95 raws now and the matches are good but I don't think the audience would have been primed to take it seriously without a lot of work. They didn't even have their commentators take it seriously besides JR and Vince.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Freaked him out in what way? I am watching through late 95 raws now and the matches are good but I don't think the audience would have been primed to take it seriously without a lot of work. They didn't even have their commentators take it seriously besides JR and Vince.

This is supposedly the match that did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgt1ayddrLI

The reasons people cite are too stiff and upstaged the men. People discuss it in the comments.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
god it is maddening to watch that, see good, well executed wrestling poo poo and hear the announcers talking about how aja kong is ugly over it. they could have HAD something!!!

also aja kong is a loving sick looking woman. i know there's no point in getting mad over 27 year old misogyny but christ almighty. aja kong is so loving incredibly cool and i haven't heard of this other lady but she's doing great poo poo in this match! Care about the match! please!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hell a lot of the comments about one or another woman wrestler in AEW being “unsafe” on Twitter seem to come down to them working a Joshi influenced style, which is naturally a bit more stiff and snug than what you usually see. (The men sometimes get this but perceptions of gender definitely factor into this.)

This kinda makes it remarkable that WWE’s women’s division was able to find a style that makes for good matches without raising similar hackles.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Can a non-wrestler even reliably tell if a move is stiff or not, I thought the point of pro-wrestling is to make things look real enough, so a move that appears stiff but doesn't cause injury would be ideal

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Breetai posted:

Yeah, even when they did have Chyna win the woman's title the crux of the match iirc was basically that she was going in to it highly injured so ivory actually stood a chance against her. Having her compete in the woman's division of that time was basically a lose lose situation.

Even once she got healed up the entire story surrounding her was 'no one in this division can touch me I'm invincible and not taking any of you seriously.'

Presumably her feud with Lita would have continued and Lita would have eventually beat her for the title but then...yeah. We all know what happened after that :sigh:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

fez_machine posted:

This is supposedly the match that did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgt1ayddrLI

The reasons people cite are too stiff and upstaged the men. People discuss it in the comments.

Funny that's the match I just watched last night. It did look snug but I assume they work eachother a lot so they would be comfortable with it. Yeah the commentary is terrible, it was never gonna get a fair shake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vince never knew how to process top flight female workers. I don't think he even learned the Jumping Bomb Angels' names.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
He was too busy giving identical blond women with implants millions of dollars. And also pushed Sunny and Sable :c00l:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Alundra Blaze vs Bull Nakano from either SummerSlam or Survivor Series 94 is a brilliant match. I was surprised that Vince allowed something so cool on his crappy programming.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Can't look past how womens wrestling was crippled in the west by The Fabulous Moolah for decades, and that was the least damage she did during her horrible life that has lead to her effectively being written out of history.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what is the attempt to look past that about? What's going on? what happens next?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You can look at things in the past. Not so much the future. Now? Look at it happening all around you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Alundra Blaze vs Bull Nakano from either SummerSlam or Survivor Series 94 is a brilliant match. I was surprised that Vince allowed something so cool on his crappy programming.

And isn't that match not as good as their match on Raw?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And then Madusa went to WCW, they basically had the same issues. Their women's title tournament had people like Akira Hokuto, Chigusa Nagayo and Meiko Satomura, which would be a heck of a grounding for a division alongside Madusa. But nope, the second Hokuto left to go back to Japan they just ditched the belt.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They even made an angle out of Madusa getting pissed at the lack of a women's division in WCW. I'm pretty sure it didn't have a pay-off either. Well, nothing satisfying anyway, but WCW.txt.

Also, MATE, IF YOU ARE AWARE ENOUGH OF THE PROBLEM THAT YOU'RE ACKNOWLEDGING IT ON TV, loving DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why did Eric even poach her in the first place?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Because she got fired. In the middle of a war if you can hire an opposition's champion you do it. In the end even if he was going to be serious about a women's division Medusa was not the person to build it around but I can see why he did it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Probably so she could dump the WWF in the trash. After that ???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Eric's favourite thing was anything he imagined would one up Vince, especially if he could do it on Nitro and make no money off it

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

MassRafTer posted:

Because she got fired. In the middle of a war if you can hire an opposition's champion you do it. In the end even if he was going to be serious about a women's division Medusa was not the person to build it around but I can see why he did it.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Medusa match. Was she not a good worker? Or just kind of meh in the heat department?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

She worked better as a heel character wise but her WWF character as Alundra was just boring white meat babyface. In ring she could hang with the Joshi talent okay but when paired with US/Canada talent she couldn't really elevate them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a Medusa match. Was she not a good worker? Or just kind of meh in the heat department?

She was average in the ring and never struck me as a really compelling character. She had some charisma, but not enough to overcome not being interested in her matches.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Remember when WCW hired a female wrestler named ASYA?

Because ASYA is bigger than CHYNA? Get it? Do you?!

:negative:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nea posted:

god it is maddening to watch that, see good, well executed wrestling poo poo and hear the announcers talking about how aja kong is ugly over it. they could have HAD something!!!

also aja kong is a loving sick looking woman. i know there's no point in getting mad over 27 year old misogyny but christ almighty. aja kong is so loving incredibly cool and i haven't heard of this other lady but she's doing great poo poo in this match! Care about the match! please!

The commentary in that match is notable because Lawler is trying to tell some stupid fat joke and was floundering so hard Vince told him to focus on the action.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
Do wrestlers cut weight before shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I doubt it, dehydrating your self to look better would be absolutely miserable and possibly dangerous to do when your expected to do a fifteen minute athletic event. If I had to guess everyone is using their walking around weight.