Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Ferret King posted:

That's probably about it. The Piaggio would be much more common. Though since Avantair folded I haven't seen an Avanti in a while.

I've seen 2-3 over the last couple years. One landed and taxied right up next to me at CRQ a few years ago. Such a rad plane with such a weird sound...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yup I was in it and nobody was sitting forward of the wing so it slowwwwwly nosed up.. I could see the pilots in the cockpit doing their thing they didn't seem to care.. Just once they were ready to go it wasn't gonna work like that :D

I miss Canadian airlines (and Canadian Regional). It was a sad day for westerners when Air Canada took over :(

Funny, the only reference to a Canadian regional Shorts 360 is this safety card on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canadian-Regional-Shorts-360-Canada-Airlines-Airways-Safety-Card-/281321448545

No luck finding pics of it in Canadian livery though.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

YES! That is exactly it. Wow, got it in one. Cool! Thanks.

The Irish Concorde. I have about 2500 hours in the right seat of those (don't ask) and can verify that they WILL set on their tail if you don't use a tail stand while loading bags in the aft compartment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ausgezeichnet posted:

The Irish Concorde. I have about 2500 hours in the right seat of those (don't ask) and can verify that they WILL set on their tail if you don't use a tail stand while loading bags in the aft compartment.

Hah, nice. That must have been it. Everyone sat at the back since the door was back there, so everyone just grabbed the first available seat. I'd flown on them a few times between Vancouver and Victoria in BC, really short hops.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

^^^You're probably thinking of TimeAir, a regional that became (through an arduous process) part of Canadian Regional. Some of the stories I hear the old salts tell about them are...incredible. It was by all accounts a strange and hilarious place.

That's a pretty neat looking crate...tell me, what airplane came with it?

:v:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

priznat posted:

Yup I was in it and nobody was sitting forward of the wing so it slowwwwwly nosed up.. I could see the pilots in the cockpit doing their thing they didn't seem to care.. Just once they were ready to go it wasn't gonna work like that :D

I miss Canadian airlines (and Canadian Regional). It was a sad day for westerners when Air Canada took over :(

Funny, the only reference to a Canadian regional Shorts 360 is this safety card on ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canadian-Regional-Shorts-360-Canada-Airlines-Airways-Safety-Card-/281321448545

Found one!

Pacific Coastal Airlines operated a couple of Short 360s for a while but I believe they have been retired.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

priznat posted:

For Air Canada's 75th they put out this commemorative poster in all the enRoute magazines with every aircraft type flown by every airline that makes up what is now Air Canada. There's a highish res photo someone took of it here:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/227390/

The guy who posted the picture also links the company AC used, and they still sell the poster, plus one for the regionals (just minus the big "75th" in the middle)
http://www.designparavion.com

You might find it on there!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

My fondest flying memory is from a 2011 trip to the British Virgin Islands. My connecting flight from SJU to EIS was on a Cape Air Cessna 402C. For someone used to the usual air travel experience of mostly 737s, 757s, and the odd MD-80, it was a bit of a trip getting quizzed on my weight at check-in for balance reasons.

For the flight out I had the seat right behind the pilot, and coming back I got the copilot's seat. I don't think I stopped grinning the entire time.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Linedance posted:

For Air Canada's 75th they put out this commemorative poster in all the enRoute magazines with every aircraft type flown by every airline that makes up what is now Air Canada. There's a highish res photo someone took of it here:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/227390/

The guy who posted the picture also links the company AC used, and they still sell the poster, plus one for the regionals (just minus the big "75th" in the middle)
http://www.designparavion.com

You might find it on there!

Huh, pokeing around that site, I saw something unusual on the planes/livery list, and then looking in the top right corner of the poster DH-82a Tiger Moth. I wonder what a Canadian airline was doing with a British built two seat trainer. Delivering mail? Training the guys who had to fly one of the 63 DHC-83 Fox Moths ever built?

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

ehnus posted:

Found one!

Pacific Coastal Airlines operated a couple of Short 360s for a while but I believe they have been retired.

A stupid question: What is in the space above the passengers? Extra storage? The proportions just seems off on this plane.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ehnus posted:

Found one!

Very cool! Man the wings sure look thin from that perspective. That could be Victoria international (YYJ) too, definitely in BC with the AirBC truck.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Dr. Klas posted:

A stupid question: What is in the space above the passengers? Extra storage? The proportions just seems off on this plane.

Primarily it's to mount the wing-spar without intruding on the cabin, and also creating an aerodynamic shape. I think any other use is secondary. I don't think it would be storage beyond overhead bins (if nothing else, it's a bugger to access for ground crew). Maybe a small amount of fuel too?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The gently caress's going on here:

Emirates cancels order for 70 Airbus A350s

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Koesj posted:

The gently caress's going on here:

Emirates cancels order for 70 Airbus A350s

without any insider knowledge, my kneejerk reaction is politics and/or graft, but then they did order a shitload of 380s. I guess they figure high density mega-hub is the future, and the fuel savings offered by something like a 350 over simply carrying more bodies per flight is kind of irrelevant to them.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

priznat posted:

Very cool! Man the wings sure look thin from that perspective. That could be Victoria international (YYJ) too, definitely in BC with the AirBC truck.

I am pretty sure it is, that looks like Saltspring Island in the background.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

The Ferret King posted:

Yes! Finally I get one.

Also on my recent CRJ-200 flight, passengers were asked to move for weight and balance. Those little regionals run into that from time to time.

EDIT: Also now I'm going through all of American Eagle's old turbo prop fleet. Here's another boxy one, the Casa 212:

If I walked out onto the ramp to board and saw that loving thing, you would see me yell NOPE and turn around so fast it would make your head spin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

A Melted Tarp posted:

If I walked out onto the ramp to board and saw that loving thing, you would see me yell NOPE and turn around so fast it would make your head spin.

Huh, I would fistpump wildly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Melted Tarp posted:

It can probably take off and land on a dime covered in mud.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

...which was never painted like that and was illegal to take above Mach 0.95 under their control

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

simplefish posted:

...which was never painted like that and was illegal to take above Mach 0.95 under their control

Really? Why is that?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

FrozenVent posted:

Really? Why is that?

It was used for intra-American flights, where FAA prohibits supersonic flight due to sonic boom issues.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Really? Why is that?

FAA being killjoys.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

My fondest flying memory is from a 2011 trip to the British Virgin Islands. My connecting flight from SJU to EIS was on a Cape Air Cessna 402C.

They are still running their fleet of 402Cs. They still have the NOAA-themed one in your picture, and have another one painted up like a shark or killer whale.
It is hideous.
I'll snap a pic the next time I see it. :haw:

I usually end up flying with Cape Air during the summer when the Seaborne flight I'm on invariably runs out of weight. Free roundtrip voucher if I switch airlines and wait an extra 30 minutes? Hell yes.

Helter Skelter posted:

For someone used to the usual air travel experience of mostly 737s, 757s, and the odd MD-80, it was a bit of a trip getting quizzed on my weight at check-in for balance reasons.

The (unofficial) boarding procedure for a Cape Air 402C is the inverse of MrChips' signature - Fatties in first, skinny Minnies in the back.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pretty sure this is a flight attendant's uniform, anyone able to identify it? My Tindering will thank you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Phanatic posted:

Pretty sure this is a flight attendant's uniform, anyone able to identify it? My Tindering will thank you.

That's, uh, a little creepy.

It'd help if you told us where you're at, though.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

buttcrackmenace posted:

The (unofficial) boarding procedure for a Cape Air 402C is the inverse of MrChips' signature - Fatties in first, skinny Minnies in the back.
I am of decidedly average build, but then again it seemed like everyone else on both my flights was too, so :shrug:

Hell of a good view, in any case.

Wouldn't surprise me if most of the lardasses flew with American Eagle/Envoy Air (which was running ATR-72s that way at the time, iirc) instead, though.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

buttcrackmenace posted:

They are still running their fleet of 402Cs. They still have the NOAA-themed one in your picture, and have another one painted up like a shark or killer whale.
It is hideous.
I'll snap a pic the next time I see it. :haw:

I usually end up flying with Cape Air during the summer when the Seaborne flight I'm on invariably runs out of weight. Free roundtrip voucher if I switch airlines and wait an extra 30 minutes? Hell yes.

Cape Air is going to be replacing their 402Cs with Tecnam P2012s which are being developed specifically for the kind of service Cape Air provides (mostly very short regional flights)

Cape Air is also one of the largest recipients of Federal subsidies under the Essential Air Services program.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

Dr. Klas posted:

Fuel, baby. All fuel. A common way for airline fuelers to be made aware of the fact that the Shorts was full was for it to rain Jet-A all over them through the vent circuit.

I'm just the kind of perverted freak to still have 22 year old Shorts 360 training manuals (as well as all the other weird aircraft I've flown since).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That rules. Funky fuel filled hunchback.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This thread needs more Shorts 330.

Retractable gear on that airplane is so... Optimistic.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

This thread needs more Shorts 330.

Retractable gear on that airplane is so... Optimistic.

I'm pretty sure the only reason the gear was retractable on the 330/360 was so it could be certified into known icing and make second segment climb restrictions. You had to get that poo poo out of the slipstream so it didn't collect ice. I remember flying around at Max Continuous power in icing just so we didn't get slow enough to start collecting ice on the aircraft's GINORMOUS belly full of rivets. The wing struts weren't protected so they'd pick up rime the size and shape of a 2x4.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Really does NOT look like the kind of plane I'd want to fly in icing conditions. So many right angles...

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

It's also got no wing at all on it. So skinny and so little chord. Why?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

The Ferret King posted:

Really does NOT look like the kind of plane I'd want to fly in icing conditions. So many right angles...

Those wing struts and wheel sponsons look like ice magnets. Enjoy flying that brick into the ground.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

Nap Ghost

charliemonster42 posted:

It's also got no wing at all on it. So skinny and so little chord. Why?

It's got the aerodynamics of a glider meant to carry 36 people. There's no fuel carried in the wings, so it's got a high aspect ratio for efficiency. Allegedly, 40% of the total lift came from the flat, airfoil-shaped fuselage. Cruise speed was about 185 knots, so high speed performance was obviously not a player.

It did a pretty good job hauling people over short distances in the UK and Ireland, but flying it in Pennsylvania in the summer was loving torture. My first leg of IOE in the aircraft was in mid-June out of PHL. With a medium load on a short flight to Harrisburg at about 90°F we managed between +400 and -50 feet per minute in the climb to 6000 ft. No freon air conditioning in the PT6A-65R model - just a super-lovely air cycle machine. Temp in the greenhouse-like cockpit was about 110°F. If I hadn't been laid off from a horrible charter job a few months prior, I would have quit when we landed in KMDT.

I spent almost three years flying that pig until I got furloughed (RegionalAirline.txt).

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

ausgezeichnet posted:

Fuel, baby. All fuel. A common way for airline fuelers to be made aware of the fact that the Shorts was full was for it to rain Jet-A all over them through the vent circuit.

I'm just the kind of perverted freak to still have 22 year old Shorts 360 training manuals (as well as all the other weird aircraft I've flown since).

Those things fuel so goddamn slowly I'm convinced that the single-point setup was put in for "Me too!" credit and less for any time savings vs. overwing refueling.

Speaking of overwing fun: refueling a C208 on amphibs.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SyHopeful posted:

Those things fuel so goddamn slowly I'm convinced that the single-point setup was put in for "Me too!" credit and less for any time savings vs. overwing refueling.

Speaking of overwing fun: refueling a C208 on amphibs.

You think that's a laugh? Try refueling a Mitsubishi MU-2 (which I will effortpost about someday). All the fuel is carried in the wings and a pair of big-rear end tip tanks, which will cause the aircraft to fall over if you don't refuel them in the proper order...at very least, you're gonna get the ladder wedged under the wing.

E: If you want to talk about overwing refueling hell, well there's this...

:stonklol:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 12, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: Were you at Tyndall? Are MU-2s even flown anywhere else anymore?

One of my classmates got airsick in one somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

What the hell. When did Russia try and turn a jetliner into a helicopter?