Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Sephyr posted:

So, I was browsing a friend's Necron book. Is it me, or is it an army with no downsides? Great shooting, amazing resiliency, speedy strong transports, amazing anti-vehicle and anti-horde weapon options spread over several units and slots, and even great CC (T5 3++ wraiths hititng like daemon prices for a fraction of the cost, S7 AP2 weaponry hititng before I1).

Is there any supposed weakness to Necrons that I somehow missed, other than having no acces to Psyjers without allies?
Barring a few specific units, they're not so great in Close Combat. Wraiths don't quite hit like Daemon Princes, since they have Rending in place of Smash. That's fairly strong, but three of them are going to kill only two or three Marines on the charge. The real strength is in how resilient they are to strikes coming back against them - a Power Fist has to dig through not only the Invuln, but through the Reanimation Protocol as well.That's with a lot of Necron units - the weapons are all around solid, nothing flashy, but the units are pains to kill.

They also have all those great weapon options spread over several units and slots, most of which are fairly pricey and restrictive in capabilities. For AV 14, for instance, you either take a Flyer that can't shoot other Flyers and can't really Jink and hope to fight, a vehicle that needs to sit perfectly still to deliver its payload (and costs a cool 170 points,) take BS4 Lascannons at 50 points a pop (though on pretty good bodies,) or to hope that you roll enough sixes from your Gauss to rattle the thing apart. That's a lot of Gauss shots to reliably do, unless you're banking on turn 2 and 3 dropping enough Warriors from your transports to carve it apart close range.

That's generally Necrons. You either tank specific counters that are overpriced and often not so great outside of blowing up a tank or whatever, or you take a bunch of the cheaper, more reliable units and try to brute force things to death because it's a battle you will generally win. Both have weakness and strengths. I beat one of our local Necron guys (really strong player, regularly places or wins) running his top list a few months back with DA, because it turns out Annihilation Barges and Night Scythes can't do much to walls of 2+ besides trying to force a bunch of saves and hoping for the best. (I also got lucky and popped both his CCBs early on.)

Naramyth posted:

They have morale problems, aren't super mobile with their troops, there best mid strength shooting options got more expensive as did there transport flier. They can't bring MSU troops now that warriors are in blocks of 10 which also changed the dynamic of ghost arks. Command barges are good but losing mindshackle really put a dent in them and knights still cut them in half very quickly. And I2 is a big hindrance

However ghost arks got a lot cooler, as did wraiths, and having an always on FNP is much more useful then before.
Also all of this.

They're a good army, no doubt, but they got draw backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How would you exploit morale problems for an army like Necrons?

serious gaylord posted:

So you're mad that they're showing things that are in the pipeline for other armies in book 3 and new things that could be 6-12 months in the future?

Nah, I'm just disappointed that I was so naive. It's clear HH is getting prioritized just like the flagship product, so I'm not going to treat it any differently. That means avoiding giving them money and not holding out for any future releases.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Beat their asses in close combat and sweeping advance them because I2 is a noose. Of course if they have fearless in a big block that can be hard.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

BULBASAUR posted:

Nah, I'm just disappointed that I was so naive. It's clear HH is getting prioritized just like the flagship product, so I'm not going to treat it any differently. That means avoiding giving them money and not holding out for any future releases.

Don't rely on shooting to push 9% chances of falling back but also don't be super surprised when it happens and shuts down shooting for a turn or they fall off an objective. Tank shock is totally a thing that can help and since they don't have hidden special weapons for death or glory your tank will probably get them to move and maybe break. Also get them in combat with stuff like scouts or whatever and just wait to sweep them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

What exactly were you 'naive' about? It'd be one thing if they were done with book 3 and Iron Warriors were still waiting but you just got your vehicle upgrades and your Contemptor is less than six months old. Look at Raven Guard. They have a singular release that was for 30k. You're making mountains out of molehills. You're making up a reason to be disenfranchised about release schedules that you're convinced you're being consciously ignored about.

Meanwhile, I have like five hundred dollars of Solar Auxilia in my closet I can't even use because I don't even have an HQ I can use,

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

How dare you be upset or disappointed about anything

Von Humboldt posted:

Barring a few specific units, they're not so great in Close Combat.

So they are just not so great at doing a thing that is pretty terrible in 7th edition. Seems like a good deal to me.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

you are taking the first steps on the road to not giving GW money ever my son

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Scrunt Father be praised

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

So they are just not so great at doing a thing that is pretty terrible in 7th edition. Seems like a good deal to me.
If you want to ignore everything else being discussed, sure. :colbert:

Moola posted:

you are taking the first steps on the road to not giving GW money ever my son
Does buying models second-hand count as giving GW money? I mean, you're buying them from some mook, but he had to buy them from GW in the first. I need to make important moral decisions here - do I go for recycled and refurbished models, or free range premium non-GMO models from a third party company as the most ethical choice?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Von Humboldt posted:

Does buying models second-hand count as giving GW money? I mean, you're buying them from some mook, but he had to buy them from GW in the first. I need to make important moral decisions here - do I go for recycled and refurbished models, or free range premium non-GMO models from a third party company as the most ethical choice?

Only if you want to live in eternal fear of a GW employee sneakily using a fingernail to scratch your models to check for authenticity, uncovering your dark, dark secret in the process which will lead to Resinageddon: the smashing of your entire collection on the floor and eternal public shaming.

Hail Scrunt.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Naramyth posted:

Don't rely on shooting to push 9% chances of falling back but also don't be super surprised when it happens and shuts down shooting for a turn or they fall off an objective. Tank shock is totally a thing that can help and since they don't have hidden special weapons for death or glory your tank will probably get them to move and maybe break. Also get them in combat with stuff like scouts or whatever and just wait to sweep them.

I only got a brief glance of the codex the other day but I don't think they have any reliable way of dealing with flyer's other than bringing their own. Take this with a grain of salt as I dont play necrons myself.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

What does this even mean?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Necrons still don't have any really good answers to Monstrous Creatures. A Riptide is basically invulnerable unless you can catch it in assault and get lucky enough that you kill him before he smashes your command barge. Good combat units will also demolish anything outside of a Canoptek Harvest or a ridiculous Lychguard unit.

AA is also a huge problem.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

serious gaylord posted:

I'm not convinced it actually means anything.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Forging the narrative using an Unbound English language.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
In honesty most armies are beatable ... well asides from Tau or Eldar.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Forging the narrative using an Unbound English language.

No Unbound, No Allied languages, you're only allowed to use official GW sanctioned Word Formations. Even then, most of those have been heavily comped.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Naramyth posted:

Also get them in combat with stuff like scouts or whatever and just wait to sweep them.

How are scouts going to do that with near-equivalent combat capability in CC, no bonus for the scout sergeant carrying a power weapon and necrons getting 2 back to back saves vs. scouts getting one 4+?

I'm not at "the sky is falling" levels of concern, but I raised an eyebrow at necrons because for an edition that favors volume of fire from massed infantry as a winning strategy, necrons have very little by way of downsides or counters for most armies.

Sure, space wolves and orks and blood angels should be fine (if the latter aren't too preoccupied high fiving their best-xeno-bros), I'm no even too worried about my dark eldar vs. necrons.

I do, however acknowledge that people are justifiably concerned until we see a few battle reports with the new codex and start to understand how it plays out. Also you are very unlikely to sweep warriors using scouts. That was probably a bad example and you're welcome to take a free chance at making another.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Necrons still don't have any really good answers to Monstrous Creatures. A Riptide is basically invulnerable unless you can catch it in assault and get lucky enough that you kill him before he smashes your command barge. Good combat units will also demolish anything outside of a Canoptek Harvest or a ridiculous Lychguard unit.

AA is also a huge problem.

Actually there's one formation that someone did point out provides pretty good Anti Air , the Judicator Battalion is really good at killing Monstrous Creatures and Flyers because of the target designated rule.

Target Designated: At the start of each of the controlling player’s Shooting phases, nominate one enemy unit within line of sight of a Triarch Stalker from this Formation. All units from this Formation can re-roll failed To Hit, To Wound and armour penetration rolls against the nominated unit until the end of the phase.

The Praetorians can purchase Nightscythes as dedicated Transports, which means they'll get the bonus. Two Nightscythes shooting at a FMC, MC, or Flyer, that reroll all to hit and reroll all to wounds. That's pretty good.

Praetorians also have ST6 weapons that have a 12" range, the Particle Casters.

I know I know but.. they can't get transported inside them. Who cares when they come on the board place them near a Immortal or any other squad and let them embark. That's not counting the whole, Triarchs can come in squads of 3 with twin linked h. Gauss or a 2 shot St8 Melta weapon.

Also, the Praetorians are fearless, so you know enjoy that I guess.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 9, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm legitimately confused because hes saying that they're treating it like a flagship product and dedicating all their resources to it, but that it is a bad thing? I don't get it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Applying transfers to marine pads without Micro Sol is an exercise in frustration and futility.

That is all.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

koreban posted:

How are scouts going to do that with near-equivalent combat capability in CC, no bonus for the scout sergeant carrying a power weapon and necrons getting 2 back to back saves vs. scouts getting one 4+?

I'm not at "the sky is falling" levels of concern, but I raised an eyebrow at necrons because for an edition that favors volume of fire from massed infantry as a winning strategy, necrons have very little by way of downsides or counters for most armies.

Sure, space wolves and orks and blood angels should be fine (if the latter aren't too preoccupied high fiving their best-xeno-bros), I'm no even too worried about my dark eldar vs. necrons.

I do, however acknowledge that people are justifiably concerned until we see a few battle reports with the new codex and start to understand how it plays out. Also you are very unlikely to sweep warriors using scouts. That was probably a bad example and you're welcome to take a free chance at making another.

I am being more dismissive then I should be but if you throw 5 close combat scouts at a block of 10 warriors (possibly less since pistols+krak grenade will be used coming in) causes ~2 unsaved wounds after reanimation and whatnot while the warriors cause ~1 wound back. Sure you will stick in and probably not run on a 9 but that's ok. The scouts have traded very well by grinding down the warriors 1-2 at a time waiting for a sweep to break out and, more importantly, tied up a more expensive unit of 10 rapid fire gauss guns until one side or the other dies. If it goes the other way and the scouts run that's ok. They will stay in if swept and if I break out on his turn I can shoot and come in again. If those warriors shoot my scouts that means those versatile guns that can hurt anything in the game are not shooting my knights, bikes, chapter master, or whatever. poo poo I played on Saturday and threw a bolter scout (his buddies died in overwatch) into some immortals and killed one the charge then swept the unit. Those immortals were shooting and fighting my scouts which means they were not shooting my airplanes or grav cents.

Naramyth fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 9, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Von Humboldt posted:

this is good, because theres nothing you can do to undo the mook giving GW money in the first place, but you are then getting GW miniatures without giving GW money

which is good

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

adamantium|wang posted:

Applying transfers to marine pads without Micro Sol is an exercise in frustration and futility.

That is all.

I made the mistake of trying to put transfers on my Imperial Knight that I'd just finished without using micro set/sol. I will never do that again.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

serious gaylord posted:

"This company did not do exactly what I wanted so they are a bad company full of bad people and I hope they die."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:agreed:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mange Mite posted:

"This company did not do exactly what I wanted so they are a bad company full of bad people and I hope they die."

Really seems like this is way overstating his opinion on the issue, but it's also true so w/e

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hey so how about those solar auxilia huh

This is what I think I'll be working towards. I want to run Household Retinue, but if FW can't be assed to make models I'm not going through the trouble of figuring out how to make the Veletaris carry axes and pistols. Other than that, this is pretty much it.

HQ
Lord Marshal + archaeotech pistol + cyber familiar + iron halo
120 points

Auxilia Tactical Command Squad + 2 grenade launchers + 5 Veteran Auxilia
110 points

Elites
Auxilia Rapier Battery + 2 Rapier teams
105 points

Auxilia Rapier Battery + 1 Rapier teams + 2 quad mortars
120 points

Auxilia Ogryn Charonite Squad + Ogryn Charonite
240 points

Troops
Veletaris Storm Section + melta bombs + power fist + shroud bombs
160 points

Veletaris Storm Section + melta bombs + power fist + shroud bombs
160 points

Dedicated Transports
Dracosan Armored Transport + Flare shield + pintle-mounted multi laser + demolisher cannon
200 points

Dracosan Armored Transport + Flare shield + pintle-mounted multi laser + demolisher cannon
200 points

Fast Attack
Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery (3) + 3 Hyperios air-defence missile launcher
150 points

Auxilia Leman Russ Strike Squadron (2 Annihilators) + 2 lascannons + 2 pintle-mounted multi lasers
380 points

Heavy Support
Auxilia Artillery Tank Battery (2 Basilisks)
320 points

Auxilia Artillery Tank Battery (2 Basilisks)
320 points

Auxilia Malcador Heavy Tank + twin-linked lascannon + lascannon + multi lasers + pintle-mounted multi lasers + Flare shield + Siege Armor
290 points

This is just under 3k points. Man, the tanks add up fast.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
If you dont like the way GW do a thing, you basically wish death upon them

grim. dark.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Awwww poo poo, new Vraks book might finally make me start a traitor guard force.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mange Mite posted:

I hope their crops will wither, their children die piteous deaths, and that their families suffer the cleaning of a 1000 mold lines.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

What exactly were you 'naive' about? It'd be one thing if they were done with book 3 and Iron Warriors were still waiting but you just got your vehicle upgrades and your Contemptor is less than six months old. Look at Raven Guard. They have a singular release that was for 30k. You're making mountains out of molehills. You're making up a reason to be disenfranchised about release schedules that you're convinced you're being consciously ignored about.

Meanwhile, I have like five hundred dollars of Solar Auxilia in my closet I can't even use because I don't even have an HQ I can use,

Bitching about waiting for bits is really silly, I agree, but it's what made me realize I'm not the only person getting sidelined to make money. There are armies missing important models or rules. Others have them printed, but keep getting pushed back. There are editing errors, rules conundrums, and little support for FAQs. Despite this they're full steam ahead on the next line of models and $100 expansion. Instead of consolidating things into a single place they're spreading them out more and more.

This should sound familiar since its how GW runs 40k. We have a whole thread about why this upsets people. For some reason I figured FW was going to do things differently and I feel really dumb for thinking otherwise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Forgeworlds the cool hip uncle when GWs your dad, and you think he's all cool and hip but then he forgets to pick you up from school that one time and you can never trust him again.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
New plastic Shadowseer and Death Jester pics have leaked, plus some crappy shots of the Starweaver.

Unless there's a 4th wave, the army has no Hq.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
now you will all share my pain

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Post pics you silly goon.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BULBASAUR posted:

Bitching about waiting for bits is really silly, I agree, but it's what made me realize I'm not the only person getting sidelined to make money. There are armies missing important models or rules. Others have them printed, but keep getting pushed back. There are editing errors, rules conundrums, and little support for FAQs. Despite this they're full steam ahead on the next line of models and $100 expansion. Instead of consolidating things into a single place they're spreading them out more and more.

This should sound familiar since its how GW runs 40k. We have a whole thread about why this upsets people. For some reason I figured FW was going to do things differently and I feel really dumb for thinking otherwise.

There are 6 Legions without a single model, upgrade pack or so much as a sniff of rules outside of a single relic. You're mad because they've not done what you wanted and instead adopted the mindset of 'give everyone something and flesh out the rest later'. This is despite the fact they could release an Iron Warriors upgrade set in a month or two. Theres loads of things that never get shown at the Weekender yet appear shortly after.

Amazing.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
If it can at least you some hope, FW said that all book 3 legions should have their poo poo before the Prospero book, which itself should be coming out before the end of 2016.
Okay that doesn't mean much because that's more than a year away, but still.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Mango Polo posted:

If it can at least you some hope, FW said that all book 3 legions should have their poo poo before the Prospero book, which itself should be coming out before the end of 2016.
Okay that doesn't mean much because that's more than a year away, but still.

Also, I think they were specifically talking about Primarchs on that front since it sounds like Egan is doing Corax and either Perterabo or Dorn (but that wasn't clear).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mango Polo posted:

Post pics you silly goon.

Sorry, I'm browsing on my phone and it was a huge pain to sort images. Starweaver is rather disappointing. Shadowseer is almost identical to the resin one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Based on that image the shadowseer actually looks way worse than the old model. Maybe it's just poorly assembled or something.

• Locked thread