Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Microsoft just sold the Nokia mobile brandname to a new Finnish company, HMD Global, comprised of a lot of Nokia execs and seems to be effectively an unofficial spinoff company of Nokia, who've subsequently announced they'll be manufacturing Android smartphones and tablets under the Nokia brand, with the original Nokia company having input and power of approval. Phones to be manufactured by Foxconn. I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

MikeJF posted:

Microsoft just sold the Nokia mobile brandname to a new Finnish company, HMD Global, comprised of a lot of Nokia execs and seems to be effectively an unofficial spinoff company of Nokia, who've subsequently announced they'll be manufacturing Android smartphones and tablets under the Nokia brand, with the original Nokia company having input and power of approval. Phones to be manufactured by Foxconn. I look forward to seeing what comes out of this.

(Microsoft) Nokia phones had great Cameras at the time, hope that continues with the new company.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Didn't some Chinese company get the Nokia name to sell iPad knockoffs?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/nokia-n1-tablet-hands-on/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

Didn't some Chinese company get the Nokia name to sell iPad knockoffs?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/nokia-n1-tablet-hands-on/
As the article says, Foxconn licensed the brand name from the Finnish company to sell a tablet in China. This is kind of the same thing except they're licensing it to another Finnish company. I'd be surprised if HMD Nokia phones can be sold in the US since MS still owns the Nokia brand for mobile, though they're not using it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

As the article says, Foxconn licensed the brand name from the Finnish company to sell a tablet in China. This is kind of the same thing except they're licensing it to another Finnish company. I'd be surprised if HMD Nokia phones can be sold in the US since MS still owns the Nokia brand for mobile, though they're not using it.

No, HMD acquired the full global brand name rights from Microsoft. Also the main Nokia execs that were transferred to Microsoft have now been moved to HMD. It's a lot bigger than the Foxconn thing.

Mister Fister posted:

(Microsoft) Nokia phones had great Cameras at the time, hope that continues with the new company.

Pre-Microsoft, too. Nokia always had by far the best cameras. They were the first to have cameras that were actually viable to use as cameras and not just novelties.

I remember eight or so years ago my little 4-inch-long mid-end Nokia stick phone (6220 classic) had 5 megapixels, 3x optical zoom, and a real camera style xenon flash. A good five megapixels, too, which is better than a lot of cameraphones now with twice that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 18, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Galaxy S5 (AT&T if that matters) question: Anyone know of a good battery replacement? I just bought one on Amazon that had good ratings. I put it into my phone, and after charging it to 100%, I noticed my phone was getting super hot. I turned it off, stepped away for 10 minutes, came back and turned it on, and the battery had dropped to 91% and was still super hot :sigh: I took it out, and just threw the original back in.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there a Google IO thread? Is it something that's not allowed to have a thread until the keynote, or has the hype train derailed? I haven't really heard much about it other than, "Yep, starting today," so maybe there isn't much in store this year?

Diplomatic Immunity
Apr 12, 2006
The King

seiferguy posted:

Galaxy S5 (AT&T if that matters) question: Anyone know of a good battery replacement? I just bought one on Amazon that had good ratings. I put it into my phone, and after charging it to 100%, I noticed my phone was getting super hot. I turned it off, stepped away for 10 minutes, came back and turned it on, and the battery had dropped to 91% and was still super hot :sigh: I took it out, and just threw the original back in.

I bought some replacement Anker batteries for my old S5. They were great, reminded me of the battery life I had when the phone first came out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mogomra posted:

Is there a Google IO thread? Is it something that's not allowed to have a thread until the keynote, or has the hype train derailed? I haven't really heard much about it other than, "Yep, starting today," so maybe there isn't much in store this year?
I've barely even heard "starting today". Android police doesn't have anything up at all about it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I've barely even heard "starting today". Android police doesn't have anything up at all about it.

Isn't this usually the I/O thread?

Also, Engadget, Verge, Droid-Life, and probably others have said stuff and had their predictions out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mogomra posted:

You can start a thread any time. Apple keynote threads are usually posted a few hours ahead of time with lists of what to expect.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

You can start a thread any time.

I'll pass in case anyone else wants to take a stab at a decent OP. I was just wondering if I was missing one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Isn't this usually the I/O thread?

Also, Engadget, Verge, Droid-Life, and probably others have said stuff and had their predictions out.
Yeah but then I have to visit one of those sites.

I think this is a good thread for the discussion, just need a good stream of the keynote.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Android Pay just launched in the UK, only a year after Apple Pay :toot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

repiv posted:

Still not loving in Canada. And Youtube Red is now in Aus/NZ and still not Canada. God loving dammit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11658560/google-io-keynote-livestream-watch-schedule-time

Seems to have a decent schedule.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Mogomra posted:

Repurposing this thread for IO, then making a brand new thread after IO is usually how it goes down.

IIRC the last time there was an IYG IO thread, people still talked about IO in Android thread so there were duplicate conversations going on in both.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Hey everyone!

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Regular I/O livestream: https://youtu.be/862r3XS2YB0

VR/Cardboard I/O livestream: https://youtu.be/lFm4s50PnmY

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

poo poo, I have a cardboard. Guess I should have brought it to work with me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

repiv posted:

Hooray, my bank doesn't support it

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Vagrancy posted:

That's a nice outdoor theater they got there

Edit: that... is a lot of people.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 18, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Diplomatic Immunity posted:

I bought some replacement Anker batteries for my old S5. They were great, reminded me of the battery life I had when the phone first came out.

Did you get the standard size 2800mAh one or one of the extended packs?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Weird huge harp thing wow.

edit; wait what is happening

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 18, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Exactly how many drugs went into the creation of this?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

Exactly how many drugs went into the creation of this?

year of the nerd baby

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SouthLAnd posted:

Trip VR Report: I got one of these from Amazon the other day, and it is fun as hell. Works great with Moto X [2015]. It's incredibly fun to watch other people use it too that haven't experienced anything like it. My mothers reaction was the best. Random drunk strangers from the bar I was at earlier was pretty great too. It may be a novelty, but for only ~15 dollars it's very entertaining.

I enjoyed my dad's reaction quite a bit "holy cow this is really neat" is something I don't get often from retired grizzled old woodsman dad lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Another messaging app from Google?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

repiv posted:

Another messaging app from Google?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, no. Two new messaging apps!

Edit: The Send button is an analog slider for text size? How sure are we that this isn't some sort of elaborate prank, again?

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 18, 2016

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

ElegantFugue posted:

No, no. Two new messaging apps!

This is the dumbest thing ever.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So wait, is Allo replacing Hangouts?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Allaniis posted:

No, sliding up and down on the send button, and having your phone tell you what to respond with are features people really want. </sarcasm>

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
I like the predictive response, i hate texting and it allows me to be even lazier with it.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

teagone posted:

So wait, is Allo replacing Hangouts?

Oh, you sweet summer child... This is google we're talking about. Of course it's separate.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Can't wait for a third Google Voice app.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Allaniis posted:

I love dumbest thing ever!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So we have google hangouts, google sms, and google allo.

Fantastic.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
And another video calling app.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

incoherent posted:

So we have google hangouts, google sms, and google allo.

Fantastic.

And now Duo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ARE YOU loving making GBS threads ME?