Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Scylo posted:

Leaving the ball isn't very macho though

Perhaps they could use a really heavy bat and demonstrate their ability to lift it high above their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Ricky Ponting has suggested switching to the Duke ball in Australia. It's a good call because the kookaburra is a bad ball anyway. Never mind the potential improvements in technique.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Paul.Power posted:

Perhaps they could use a really heavy bat and demonstrate their ability to lift it high above their head.

With the added bonus that the commentators can whinge about modern bats some more.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Ricky Ponting has suggested switching to the Duke ball in Australia. It's a good call because the kookaburra is a bad ball anyway. Never mind the potential improvements in technique.

I thought this has been planned for some time now. Dunno what happens to Kookaburra, will they keep supplying balls for local cricket?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

gay picnic defence posted:

I thought this has been planned for some time now. Dunno what happens to Kookaburra, will they keep supplying balls for local cricket?

I would presume they will still make ODI and T20 balls. Also the Day/Night test balls.

Also as someone who works on the Gold Coast KP isn't nearly a big enough oval office to make it here.

edit: @webmeister We can't all be so lucky to be born in Queensland to parents from Stoke and a Tax Haven. I understand the struggle the people south of the tweed have with trying to break with the ingrained culture of blue spite and I applaud the courage with which you fight to control your baser urges.

Byolante fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 9, 2015

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

You would think Kookaburra would just try and produce a ball with a seam that lasts >10 overs.

e: apparently the duke ball struggles on harder/rougher surfaces.

Airstream Driver fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 9, 2015

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Paul.Power posted:

The weird thing is, it's not like you can't get on top of the bowling by going "you expect me to play at that?" at anything wide of the stumps and forcing the bowler to bowl at you.

Sounds like something you read in a loving book, nerd :smugdog::pipe:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

You would think Kookaburra would just try and produce a ball with a seam that lasts >10 overs.

e: apparently the duke ball struggles on harder/rougher surfaces.

So do kookaburras in fairness.

They have been struggling to go 20 overs without the ball being belted into a piece of garbage.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ban anyone who plays or used to play in New South Wales in the national side :smug:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/908005.html

I had forgotten how much Australians hated Michael Clarke.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

You Am I posted:

And yet, show Shane Watson the kind of unconditional love a new mother has for a 4 month old.

Has he been recalled for the last test yet?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Michael Clarke was a party boy egomaniac and would have been reviled if he averaged 40

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

Yeah.

Ponting and Clarke are two of the best cricketers Australia has produced since 1950, both captained Australia - one during the most dominant period in international cricket and the other through a rollercoaster punctuated by some stunning wins - and they both ended up with broken legacies.

Cricket isn't fair.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 9, 2015

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

You Am I posted:

Ban anyone who plays or used to play in New South Wales in the national side :smug:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/908005.html

Read this piece this morning, it's really good. Warning though: it's Kimber.

The great captains overcome personal differences in a team and force it to play in their own image - Bradman, Chappell, Border and Waugh all managed this. Clarke didn't.

I think even his World Cup win is going to be looked upon as the work of ego in the end.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Collateral posted:

And yet, show Shane Watson the kind of unconditional love a new mother has for a 4 month old.
This isn't true

Schlesische posted:

Yeah.

Ponting and Clarke are two of the best cricketers Australia has produced since 1950, both captained Australia - one during the most dominant period in international cricket and the other through a rollercoaster punctuated by some stunning wins - and they both ended up with broken legacies.

Cricket isn't fair.
Nor is this. Ponting's legacy will be one of greatness. Clarke's won't be but that's arguably because he's not a great.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The important thing to remember about this Ashes is that Adam Lyth won the selection lotto and is now Adam Lyth: Ashes winner.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Collateral posted:

Has he been recalled for the last test yet?

I can't believe i'm saying this, but i'd kinda like to see him given one more chance opening the batting.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I didn't realise Clarke averages over 20 more at home than away. That's Jayawardene level home track bullying.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
There's no cause for major alarm as long as we're still better than New Zealand at cricket.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Lionel Richie posted:

I didn't realise Clarke averages over 20 more at home than away. That's Jayawardene level home track bullying.

Not really, other nations' cricket boards are just so scared of him they analyse his game and prepare pitches that affect his game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Negligent posted:

There's no cause for major alarm as long as we're still better than New Zealand at cricket.

We drew our series with England immediately before you guys got embarrassed.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

We drew our series with England immediately before you guys got embarrassed.

See also the respective Pakistan series last year and also the last test match between the two sides.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

See also the respective Pakistan series last year and also the last test match between the two sides.

Good points for sure.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Good points for sure.

Wasn't there some sort of world cup of cricket recently that might be a good gauge of the cricketing prowess of various nations?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wasn't there some sort of world cup of cricket recently that might be a good gauge of the cricketing prowess of various nations?

The idea of cricketing nations getting together and playing one another in a "World Cup of Cricket" sounds utterly preposterous. I'm sure India would never stand for such an affront to this most gentlemanly of sports.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

the kiwis have an excellent chance of beating us but there is a huge difference between Australia away and Australia at home.

It's a hard country to tour.

Sure its not as tough as it used to be. The pitches aren't as fast but for batsmen driving is uncomfortable and for bowlers the length is a little different and the weather is disgusting.

I'm not going to use odi form as a measure but I will say that NZ struggled with the bounce on the MCG.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Shmoses posted:

This isn't true

Nor is this. Ponting's legacy will be one of greatness. Clarke's won't be but that's arguably because he's not a great.

Point 1

I was sitting having a coffee in the summer at a cafe in Sydney's inner west and I was talking cricket with my wife and a total stranger came over to say how much he hates Shane Watson. so yeah he isnt liked by australians.

Point 2 on the hierarchy of Australian batsmen there is (obviously not complete.)

Tier 1 (Bradman)
Bradman
Tier 2 (Best ever not including Bradman)
Ponting, Chappell, border, Waugh
Tier 3 (very good)
Clarke, hussey, Hayden, etc

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

50 over cricket worst cricket.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Lmao Zimbabwe just conceded a 7 in the T20 going on right now.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

WC was 1 - 1. Seems pretty cheap to laud your ability to host the final over us but ok. In more relevant news you just lost to an average England side in two days.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The World Cup ended

13/337 vs 19/335

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Regardless I wouldn't be surprised if NZ beat us over here. They are genuinely a better side than us at the moment. I also genuinely believe Bangladesh will beat us in at least one test

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

WC was 1 - 1. Seems pretty cheap to laud your ability to host the final over us but ok. In more relevant news you just lost to an average England side in two days.

It's somewhat relevant when discussing a NZ tour of Australia.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
as long as we're better than New Zealand in at least one of cricket, rugby, netball, having a decent national economy

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Shmoses posted:

Regardless I wouldn't be surprised if NZ beat us over here. They are genuinely a better side than us at the moment. I also genuinely believe Bangladesh will beat us in at least one test

I agree but its still going to be difficult to beat Australia at the gabba. If the NZ can do that it's a great achievement.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Negligent posted:

as long as we're better than New Zealand in at least one of cricket, rugby, netball, having a decent national economy

Sadly "being a decent country" will remain locked at 0-0.

I agree but its still going to be difficult to beat Australia at the gabba. If the NZ can do that it's a great achievement.

I can see New Zealand winning at Adelaide, but it's that wierd Day/Night test thing so will be... unique and is hard to judge.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 9, 2015

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Negligent posted:

And percentage of the population without sheep poo poo on their dicks

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I wonder if that day/night test will sell lots of tickets. Probably, given it's in Adelaide and they go bonkers for any novelty.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I'm weirdly excited to see the day night test. From all reports its very tough to bat at night against the pink ball. So Starc and Boult will be bowling some unplayable stuff.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm weirdly excited to see the day night test. From all reports its very tough to bat at night against the pink ball. So Starc and Boult will be bowling some unplayable stuff.

The ball is also really poo poo according to Starc; doesn't really swing and loses shape quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Shmoses posted:

This isn't true

And in 10 years time we'll know Ponting as a thoughtful commentator with good analysis, and a decent coach. And we'll know Clarke as the guy that irritates the poo poo out of us when he's on commentary with Warne.