Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's pretty amazing what friction can do if you engineer it right. Recently I was rebuilding a transmission from a 1976 BMW bike. The output flange, to which the driveshaft bolts, is attached to the output shaft of the transmission with nothing more than a tapered fit between them and a single center nut torqued to 160ft-lb. No keys, no splines. The entire torque of the drivedrain goes through that taper fit, in this case in a racing sidecar, which is a lot of load for a motorcycle, and it never has an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah but a tapered press fit works really well. Having the crankshaft bolt and pulley hold everything in place, not so much.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWH5bfpivSU&t=855s

He explains it pretty well, and a taper fit only improves things by improving surface area.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Reminds me of the V8 Taurus SHO Cam issue. Cam Sprockets were attached via "Swaging"

http://v8sho.com/SHO/CamFailureLinks.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SHO_V8_engine#Cam_trouble

quote:

Soon after the introduction of the SHO V8 engine, widespread problems with the cam sprockets began to surface. Ford had used a relatively unusual method, called "swaging", of affixing the cam sprockets to the camshafts.The cam sprockets were fastened to the hollow camshafts by forcing a metal ball which was slightly larger than the interior diameter of the camshaft through the center of the camshaft, thus expanding the metal slightly and creating a mechanical bond between the cam sprocket and the camshaft.

This method proved to be inadequate, and the cam sprocket could break loose from the camshaft and spin independently from the camshaft (or "walk").This would result in the camshaft stopping and thus not activating the valves, allowing the pistons to hit the valves, ruining the engine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have a fenner trantorque keyless coupling brochure in front of me, a 1 1/2" shaft will take 500 ft lb. We use powerlock couplings on large press components (think plumbing compression fittings with olives) with power measured in meter KN, or hundreds of kilowatts. Keyless is the way to go, if done properly.

The problem with ICE is vibration and peak loads, but they can be designed around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All well and true and interesting but that engine doesn't have a taper-fit crankshaft. It has a cylindrical crankshaft tip and the sprocket just sits over the top and gets held still (by the pressure exerted by the crank pulley bolt) against the flat end of the crank.

IIRC having done a chain on an MZR engine precisely once.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's pretty amazing what friction can do if you engineer it right. Recently I was rebuilding a transmission from a 1976 BMW bike. The output flange, to which the driveshaft bolts, is attached to the output shaft of the transmission with nothing more than a tapered fit between them and a single center nut torqued to 160ft-lb. No keys, no splines. The entire torque of the drivedrain goes through that taper fit, in this case in a racing sidecar, which is a lot of load for a motorcycle, and it never has an issue.

The propeller of a 500,000 tonne crude tanker is held by a pressed up taper.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Slavvy posted:

This is a pretty common problem on that engine, usually caused by:

jamal posted:

The crank shaft timing sproket on those is held in place by friction only. No keyway.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which car does it - I've seen neglected beaters run up 300kkm no problems, and I've seen owned-by-seniors pampered garage queens annihilate themselves for no reason.

Is this the case for the turbo motor in the speed3/6 too?

Edit: at least it has a chain so I'll probably never need to touch it right? :ohdear:

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 9, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

This is a pretty common problem on that engine, usually caused by:

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which car does it - I've seen neglected beaters run up 300kkm no problems, and I've seen owned-by-seniors pampered garage queens annihilate themselves for no reason.

The camshaft on the VW motors is friction held as well. Always makes me paranoid when I torque it, but never had an issue yet.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Lots of camshafts nowadays are made by pressing lobes into place, too. Spun lobes are kinda rare.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CommieGIR posted:

The camshaft on the VW motors is friction held as well. Always makes me paranoid when I torque it, but never had an issue yet.

Yea the first time I did a TDI timing belt that freaked me out since its so critical and the bolt is only torqued to 33 ft/lbs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea the first time I did a TDI timing belt that freaked me out since its so critical and the bolt is only torqued to 33 ft/lbs.

And its really the only proper way to set the cam timing correctly via loosening the cam gear.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

chrisgt posted:

Ehhhh, change your oil every 3k miles and that doesn't happen no matter what oil you run. If you don't keep oil in there long enough to sludge up, it won't get sludgy.

Ahem, Chrysler would like to talk to you about that. Well, not really; they probably just wish people would shut up about it and stop suing them.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
This might help explain how bad the steering was on my outback...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QArPq_j-lEU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Viper915 posted:

Is this the case for the turbo motor in the speed3/6 too?

Edit: at least it has a chain so I'll probably never need to touch it right? :ohdear:

The one I did was a turbo. You'll need to touch it when the VVTI pulley fucks out. It took me about six hours as a first timer, not counting the time to make the tools to hold the crank and cams still.

EightBit posted:

Lots of camshafts nowadays are made by pressing lobes into place, too. Spun lobes are kinda rare.

A lot of them seem to have splines that the lobes are pressed on to.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Vanagoon posted:

Reminds me of the V8 Taurus SHO Cam issue. Cam Sprockets were attached via "Swaging"

We have/had (FWD) gearboxes here where the ring gear is pressed onto the diff. Just pressed.. no bolts, not rivets, no splines.

You can imagine how well they last.

Slavvy posted:

It has a cylindrical crankshaft tip and the sprocket just sits over the top and gets held still (by the pressure exerted by the crank pulley bolt) against the flat end of the crank.

A lot of engines have this. Most Ford 4-cylinders engines now. Lots of chain-drive GM engines have "freewheeling" sprockets for crank and cams, where you lock them in place with the sprockets loose, release the chain tensioner and then tighten the sprocket bolts. BMW/MINI engines too.

It's a very common system, and it does work.

CommieGIR posted:

Fart Pipe posted:

It's critical that it's tight, but i've never done one to that exact torque, and have done a lot of work on TDIs. In my experience as a mechanic torque wrenches are used far less frequently than people think, and without wheels and cam belts and cylinder heads falling off left, right and centre.

The injector pump TDI cam bolts? Gun them off, gun them back on.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

chrisgt posted:

:aaa: drat that's pretty bad. I've never seen a rack get that kind of play. Did you hit something or did it just decide it was done?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mooseykins posted:

It's critical that it's tight, but i've never done one to that exact torque, and have done a lot of work on TDIs. In my experience as a mechanic torque wrenches are used far less frequently than people think, and without wheels and cam belts and cylinder heads falling off left, right and centre.

Oh, I know, I'm just not that brave.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

NitroSpazzz posted:

:aaa: drat that's pretty bad. I've never seen a rack get that kind of play. Did you hit something or did it just decide it was done?

Well it had a torn rack boot for like 2 years (which is legal for state inspection in Maine...). In that time I did a few rallyXs, drove it through mud puddles, offroad, etc... Then I parked it because headgaskets in September. In December I had time over break to throw headgaskets in the thing, and noticed it had a bad inner tie rod, when I pulled the remainder of the boot off it left a pile of ATF/mud on the floor... (subaru uses Dextron ATF in the powersteering). Every time I moved the rack back and forth more mud came out. I think the mud was keeping it from having awful play, it was never the same after that. It also lost about a quart of ATF every 200 miles or so, I'd just fill the bottle all the way up to the cap when it lost power steering ....

I'm bad at cars...

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 9, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

chrisgt posted:

:stare:

CommieGIR posted:

Oh, I know, I'm just not that brave.

It's a big bolt it can take it! :v:

I always wonder what people who work on their own cars would think is they saw some of this stuff. I used to be on a VW forum and there were real anal-retentive members who worked on their own cars as DIYers and were adamant that everything had to be torqued to spec and done by the service manual.

Errr.. no. Not out in the real world.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mooseykins posted:

Dealership mechanic spotted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrYenko posted:

Actually i only worked at a Volvo dealership briefly.

Flat rate! :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MrYenko posted:

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the flat-rate way! :pseudo:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Terrible Robot posted:

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the flat-rate way! :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mooseykins posted:

:stare:

It's a big bolt it can take it! :v:

I always wonder what people who work on their own cars would think is they saw some of this stuff. I used to be on a VW forum and there were real anal-retentive members who worked on their own cars as DIYers and were adamant that everything had to be torqued to spec and done by the service manual.

Errr.. no. Not out in the real world.

I torque a few things:
Head bolts
Bolts that affect bearing preload or oil clearance (case halves, rod/main bearing caps, diff bearing caps, unit bearing axle nuts - yes these matter)
Spark plugs, if I decide I give a poo poo
... and that's about it.

Everything else gets snugged down however it seems right to - the bigger the bolt, the more torque I toss it.

I've literally never torqued a lug nut, never stripped one, never lost a wheel, had one come loose once but that's because I left dirt on the flange by accident and it would have come loose even if I torqued it. Caught it within ~75-100 miles because I always double check after about that long.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Terrible Robot posted:

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the flat-rate way! :pseudo:

Time is money! :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I torque a few things:
Head bolts
Bolts that affect bearing preload or oil clearance (case halves, rod/main bearing caps, diff bearing caps, unit bearing axle nuts - yes these matter)
... and that's about it.

Everything else gets snugged down however it seems right to - the bigger the bolt, the more torque I toss it.

I've literally never torqued a lug nut, never stripped one, never lost a wheel, had one come loose once but that's because I left dirt on the flange by accident and it would have come loose even if I torqued it. Caught it within ~75-100 miles because I always double check after about that long.

Pretty much, except I also torque lug-nuts (sometimes). Never once had a bolt loosen itself back up.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

kastein posted:

I torque a few things:
Head bolts
... and that's about it.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Robot posted:

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the flat-rate way! :suicide:

In other news, sometimes its the little things in life.

Or sometimes the Jeep things.

Orthe "i know you're off at 5 and its 3:45 right now and you're balls deep finishing a seven hour ticket but this waiter just came in and i need you to ge this inspected so I can have parts delivered and ready to go once you finish thatjob because these people need it done tonight and they're up front" things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

I torque a few things:
Head bolts
... and that's about it.

Yup, exactly.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Orthe "i know you're off at 5 and its 3:45 right now and you're balls deep finishing a seven hour ticket but this waiter just came in and i need you to ge this inspected so I can have parts delivered and ready to go once you finish thatjob because these people need it done tonight and they're up front" things.

gently caress those people, execute them all. I'm sick of that poo poo happening to me, too. Except I then have to convince the guy in your shoes to do it, or do it myself when it really isn't my job technically theoretically.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

In other news, sometimes its the little things in life.

Curb shot?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rimshot

:rimshot:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I recently got one of these, and I loving love torquing things now. Torquing is loving great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I recently got one of these, and I loving love torquing things now. Torquing is loving great.

Ummm, :fap:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Word of advice: don't let the batteries run dry.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Is that the one that can do torque angle as well? A friend has one, I used it to put bearings in a BMW motor once. It was magical.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

OK, I don't know my steering linkages too well, but what's supposed to be straight?

Let's see how bad I gently caress this up.
Pic 1&2: Tie rod (inner?) was likely banging on the sway bar link, both are bent
Pic 3: Ball joint lost it's nut (I can't tell where that is in the other images. It's pretty much hidden, right? And is that a frame attachment point?)

And that's what, at least 2 hours work (and likely more), right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

User Error posted:

Is that the one that can do torque angle as well? A friend has one, I used it to put bearings in a BMW motor once. It was magical.

I just recently got the new TechAngle one. Does torque + angle, and the readout shows the torque/angle you've reached as you go, and it vibrates, beeps and has lights to show you as you get close to your desired setting.

Cost a fortune but so worth it.