Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tremblay posted:

I highly doubt most people have a freaking clue where they hell the final assembly is done on most vehicles. Unless there is a sticker on the window calling it out.

It's the first three characters of the VIN: https://github.com/bkerley/vindsl/blob/master/lib/vindsl/wmi.rb

"W" is [West] Germany, "J" is Japan, "3" is Mexico, "2" is Canada, and, as always, USA is #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I like telling people where their vehicles are really from:

VIN S on a CR-V or an EP3 Civic Si - Oh your JDM AS gently caress HONDA was made in the UK!

VIN 1 on a Camry - Your Japanese sedan is made in Kentucky yo

VIN K on a Chevrolet Aveo, or a Suzuki Forenza - sorry your car is actually a DAEWOO from Korea HAHAHAHAHA

VIN M on a new Mitsubishi Mirage - Made in Thailand! What?

And my favorite one: VIN Y on a Fiat 500L - YOUR CAR IS MADE IN SERBIA IN THE OLD YUGO/ZASTAVA PLANT!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

0toShifty posted:

And my favorite one: VIN Y on a Fiat 500L - YOUR CAR IS MADE IN SERBIA IN THE OLD YUGO/ZASTAVA PLANT!!

I saw my first 500L in real life the other day -- it's certainly as gently caress-ugly as a Yugo, but I can't say how it drives. I like the normal 500, but the 500L is just hideous.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

0toShifty posted:

I like telling people where their vehicles are really from:

VIN S on a CR-V or an EP3 Civic Si - Oh your JDM AS gently caress HONDA was made in the UK!

VIN 1 on a Camry - Your Japanese sedan is made in Kentucky yo

VIN K on a Chevrolet Aveo, or a Suzuki Forenza - sorry your car is actually a DAEWOO from Korea HAHAHAHAHA

VIN M on a new Mitsubishi Mirage - Made in Thailand! What?

A beautiful factory. :tito:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

HotCanadianChick posted:

All of that applies to NA 1.6l Miatas, but I guess those aren't enthusiast-oriented cars either according to forums enthusiast car authority PeterWeller. :v:

(let's also ignore that the conversation was never about whether the AE86 was an enthusiast car or not)

FTFY ;)

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's the first three characters of the VIN: https://github.com/bkerley/vindsl/blob/master/lib/vindsl/wmi.rb

"W" is [West] Germany, "J" is Japan, "3" is Mexico, "2" is Canada, and, as always, USA is #1.

Great! What does this have to do with what I wrote?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Powershift posted:

Chicago auto show starts today. somebody put out a new truck, i can't figure out what kind of truck it is.

kinda looks like a dodge, but i'm not quite sure.

Ram 1500 JC Whitney Custom Edition

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hey some VIN 1 camry are built in Indiana, at the subaru plant. Two japanese manufacturers make it more JDM the J vin cars.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We test drove a 500L because the wife wanted one to replace her 500 weekend car once the baby was born. I thought it was "okay" but ugly, but she really, really liked it. I ended up pushing her towards a Flex since they are so, so much better, and now it's her favorite car in the stable. Even when she doesn't have the baby with her, she usually drives it instead of her A7.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Chicago auto show starts today. somebody put out a new truck, i can't figure out what kind of truck it is.

kinda looks like a dodge, but i'm not quite sure.

I actually wonder if that is too tacky/gaudy for a lot of the intended customers. That's just terrible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PT6A posted:

I saw my first 500L in real life the other day -- it's certainly as gently caress-ugly as a Yugo, but I can't say how it drives. I like the normal 500, but the 500L is just hideous.

I shake my head every time I see one, it's just wrong.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

I actually wonder if that is too tacky/gaudy for a lot of the intended customers. That's just terrible.

It might be. I see a lot of ads for guys with the platinum/titanium poo poo on the F350s wanting to swap tailgates with base model trucks, and those are fuckin understated compared to the dodge thing

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-parts/fort-mcmurray/super-duty-tailgate-ruby-red/1048865098?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fknlo posted:

They saw the Raptor and thought it was the giant Ford grille selling them instead of the cool suspension and widebody kit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mange Mite posted:

They saw the Raptor and thought it was the giant Ford grille selling them instead of the cool suspension and widebody kit

The trend on everything has been bigger and bigger badging, even passenger cars, so I doubt this is the case.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ford to build new GT supercar in Ontario :911:

Maybe it will have Canadian sat nav too?

"left turn coming up, eh"
"Speed limit's 100, buddy's going some fast"
"Next Timmy's in 200 yards"

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

El Scotch posted:

Upon startup the welcome screen flashes "How's she goin' eh?"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Traffic incident ahead 2 miles. Sorry."

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

El Scotch posted:

That would be the Maritimes accent option.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You were the one who started that poo poo in the first place:

PeterWeller posted:

Man, if you're gonna count shitboxes with okay power as enthusiast offerings, you might as well count the Tc as a contemporary enthusiast offering.

I think what we learned today is that your rap sheet is right and arguing anything with you is a waste of time. "You are like some kind of loving terrier, only instead of rats or cats it is dumbass arguments on the internet. Your only other probation is for not letting something drop, perhaps there is a pattern here. User loses posting privileges for 1 day."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Haha, look at you trying to shame me with a one day probation from years ago. At least you have a clever user name.

And like HCC, you miss the point, though perhaps not deliberately in your case. I wasn't saying the A86 doesn't count. I was saying the Tc does. Remember, the conversation was about how making hybrids distracts a company from making cars for enthusiasts. It's not my fault that dude wanted to keep chasing tangeants instead of just accepting that his original point was really dumb.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

That RAM just screams emergency redesign.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

And like HCC, you miss the point, though perhaps not deliberately in your case. I wasn't saying the A86 doesn't count. I was saying the Tc does. Remember, the conversation was about how making hybrids distracts a company from making cars for enthusiasts. It's not my fault that dude wanted to keep chasing tangeants instead of just accepting that his original point was really dumb.

tC really isn't an enthusiast car though. Fwd, no LSD, soft suspension, slightly overweight, boring to drive, engine from a Camry, slow, minimal motorsports presence.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

And like HCC, you miss the point, though perhaps not deliberately in your case. I wasn't saying the A86 doesn't count. I was saying the Tc does.

You gotta be careful moving those goalposts around so much, you might forget where they originally started at. :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mange Mite posted:

tC really isn't an enthusiast car though. Fwd, no LSD, soft suspension, slightly overweight, boring to drive, engine from a Camry, slow, minimal motorsports presence.

It is sold to people who fancy themselves 'above' boring cars though, which is a path that leads to enthusiasts. You could probably even argue that people who buy the tC instead of a Camry is an enthusiast too, who cares if it's boring when it looks fast? They still wanted something that wasn't a Camry even if that's exactly what they got in the end.

Wasn't there a whole thing about how Scion was born out of Toyota's failure to catch the 'young' market? They tried to grab youth buyers with the Ecco, new Celica and MR2, but that failed so they killed them and came up with Scion, which worked better. That's the story I heard anyway, and whoever was in charge of the Celica/Ecco/MR2 thing was axed.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ugh, I'd forgotten completely about the Echo. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

TRD provided an LSD, upgraded suspension, supercharger, and let's not forget the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Pro/Celebrity Race! The Scion Tc provided great racing moments like
http://youtu.be/-0glaUrFZCg

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

You gotta be careful moving those goalposts around so much, you might forget where they originally started at. :v:

You're accusing me of moving the goalposts? :getout: I say that making hybrids doesn't lead to killing enthusiast cars. You say Honda killed the Integra. I say they killed the Integra because of the Si, not hybrids. You say the Si isn't as good as the Ford STs. You spent all of yesterday evening moving the goalposts before passive-aggressively trying to blow me off in a reply to a different poster.

Mange Mite posted:

It's not a very good enthusiast car, but it's marketed to car enthusiasts and has a huge aftermarket.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Neptr posted:

TRD provided an LSD, upgraded suspension, supercharger, and let's not forget the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach Pro/Celebrity Race! The Scion Tc provided great racing moments like

Haha, there was no way in hell he was going to make that turn.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
holy poo poo we are living in the greatest car era ever, by far, and you guys are busy pissing in each other's cheerios as to whether some stupid Japanese econobox from either 2006 or 1986 is actually an enthusiast car or not.

this is why we don't deserve nice things.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KakerMix posted:

It is sold to people who fancy themselves 'above' boring cars though, which is a path that leads to enthusiasts.

The tc is the marijuana gateway drug of car enthusiasm. George Lucas should remake Reefer Madness to protect our youth!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Neptr posted:

Haha. I just hit this guy with a pit maneuver. Better go all in and crash right into him too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a dumb argument anyways.

The driver is the enthusiast. So, by definition, any vehicle that person chooses to drive is an enthusiast vehicle.

Someone banging through the gears and pulling every ounce of a performance out of a 100hp economy shitbox and having a ball doing it is more of an enthusiast than someone who buys a Ford GT to parade it down the road once a month.

All marketing is dumb, so if you start arguing with the basis of marketing behind you, you've already lost.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 12, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Hikaki posted:

Haha. I just hit this guy with a pit maneuver. Better go all in and crash right into him too.
Trollin post. She didnt want to run into the wall on the right so she over corrected and snap over steer happened.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

holy poo poo we are living in the greatest car era ever, by far, and you guys are busy pissing in each other's cheerios as to whether some stupid Japanese econobox from either 2006 or 1986 is actually an enthusiast car or not.

this is why we don't deserve nice things.

What makes this the best era

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Never before have cars been safer, faster, more agile, or more comf ...never mind :smith:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 12, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

*cough*

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

We simply need to look back to the past, when cars were inspired and exci

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 12, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

El Scotch posted:

If the GT has a sport/track mode for its traction/stability control, it had better say, "goin' for a rip there, eh bud?" when you enable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

razorscooter posted:

We simply need to look back to the past, when cars were inspired and exci

Hey now that's not fair.