Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

incoherent posted:

I'm sure microsoft will be thrilled with redoing the thread scheduler again in windows for distinct cpu cores.

Interesting thing about that, I just got my hands on an AMD FX rig for the first time (I've never built one personally and nobody I know had one) and notice that Windows 10 shows it as a 4 core with 8 threads, where HWInfo shows 8core8thread. Did Windows Always show it as a 4 Core (I know its more of a 4 module with 2 cores each sharing stuff which made it into a dog of a CPU) but that is an interesting, yet smart thing Microsoft did which I believe was part of the performance improvement they pulled out of the FX chips for what they could.

Also whoever made this system didn't really understand airflow. It is a Lian Li case that seems to have the airflow go from the back to the front, and the rear fan was blowing in, with the CPU fan blowing back at it. (212 it looks) And he was wondering why it was overheating all the time. Once I flipped that fan around and blew all the dust out, thing runs just fine. CPU hits mid 50C and GPU hits 90C on the stock fan profile (MSI 270X) which is normal if dumb and could probably be improved with a custom fan curve.

Either way this rig is going to be his backup as I am building a new one for him next week. :woop:

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Interesting thing about that, I just got my hands on an AMD FX rig for the first time (I've never built one personally and nobody I know had one) and notice that Windows 10 shows it as a 4 core with 8 threads, where HWInfo shows 8core8thread. Did Windows Always show it as a 4 Core (I know its more of a 4 module with 2 cores each sharing stuff which made it into a dog of a CPU) but that is an interesting, yet smart thing Microsoft did which I believe was part of the performance improvement they pulled out of the FX chips for what they could.

Also whoever made this system didn't really understand airflow. It is a Lian Li case that seems to have the airflow go from the back to the front, and the rear fan was blowing in, with the CPU fan blowing back at it. (212 it looks) And he was wondering why it was overheating all the time. Once I flipped that fan around and blew all the dust out, thing runs just fine. CPU hits mid 50C and GPU hits 90C on the stock fan profile (MSI 270X) which is normal if dumb and could probably be improved with a custom fan curve.

Either way this rig is going to be his backup as I am building a new one for him next week. :woop:

FX chips showed up as 8-core CPU's to Windows OS' when they originally launched, it was then later patched to look like a 4c/8t CPU to the OS due to the peculiarities of the architecture.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

incoherent posted:

I'm sure microsoft will be thrilled with redoing the thread scheduler again in windows for distinct cpu cores.

Windows on ARM (Always Connected PC) already support bigg.little. Besides there is like 99% chance that the customer that requested Lakefield is Microsoft.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Is Intel really bringing another new socket on their 10th gen CPU? It seems so stupid.

eames
May 9, 2009

possible Comet Lake-S leaks making the rounds at the moment.

https://hk.xfastest.com/31780/comet-lake-is-not-lga-1159-it-should-be-more/

mewse
May 2, 2006

The DragonflyBSD guy on current AMD/intel platforms

http://apollo.backplane.com/2019-Zen2Missive.html

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Just bought an i9 and boy howdy that purple plastic container it comes in is loving obnoxious. I pity anyone that is expecting an OEM cooling fan to be in there like normal, too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Intel hasn’t included fans with their enthusiast chips for ages now, but I do agree on the dumb packaging.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

GutBomb posted:

Intel hasn’t included fans with their enthusiast chips for ages now, but I do agree on the dumb packaging.

Ah bummer. Last time I bought a CPU for myself was an i7 around five years ago.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I am planning to go from 4770k to 9600k and i hope it will be moar performance. + going from DDR3 to DDR4.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Big Mackson posted:

I am planning to go from 4770k to 9600k and i hope it will be moar performance. + going from DDR3 to DDR4.
Back in the Pentium days before SMT, SMP and everything else (including speculative attacks), there was a general rule to aim for a 700MHz boost in raw clock frequency regardless of generational IPC improvements in order to feel the added performance on a day-to-day basis.
So far as I know, this is still true for the purposes of vidya gayms and most programs since most of them still perform most of their workload on a single high-clocked core - and since the i5-9600k boosts to 4.6 for a period of time, it sounds like an excellent upgrade.

The big difference with respect to memory isn't that it's DDR4 over DDR3, it's the memory bandwidth you end up going which - which at the top-end is almost doubled.

Plus, the two extra cores can always improve multitasking with all the bullshit and third party programs that seem to run in the background on modern Windows.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I noticed pretty huge differences in games going from a 6600K to a 9600K. Go for it!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

AEMINAL posted:

I noticed pretty huge differences in games going from a 6600K to a 9600K. Go for it!

Yeah going from a 6600k to a 9700k on thread starved modern games was amazing

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right now, with overclocking and everything, I'm only looking at core counts. There are minor IPC improvements, but the biggest change will be going from 4 cores to 6. I'm not even planning to get anything past Haswell yet. Once I run out of performance from my 6 core model I'm going to get a 5960x or Xeon 1680.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

AEMINAL posted:

I went from an i7 4300 to an i9 9900K; it was also the point that I went from good ol' platter 7200krpm boot drives, to m.2 nvme. I think my TV turns on slower than this computer. I stay at 1920x1080 for anything I'm playing, my i7 computer was more beholden to whatever video card I had for running things, I don't think hopping to i9 changed much for me on the gaming front. But the SSD has absolutely had a wonderful impact on both starting games up, and even exiting them promptly, multitasking things on the second display is both unimpacted by, and has zero impact on anything I'm playing, and there's a noticeably lower btu coming out of my computer, since the upgrade.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It wasn't so long ago that Intel charged $350 for a 4C/8T, and now it's possible to get a used Ryzen 1600 off Aliexpress and a new basic B450 mobo off Newegg for less than half that price even if we ignored all the crazy bundle deals that happened at Microcenter and Newegg.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

5er posted:

I went from an i7 4300 to an i9 9900K; it was also the point that I went from good ol' platter 7200krpm boot drives, to m.2 nvme. I think my TV turns on slower than this computer. I stay at 1920x1080 for anything I'm playing, my i7 computer was more beholden to whatever video card I had for running things, I don't think hopping to i9 changed much for me on the gaming front. But the SSD has absolutely had a wonderful impact on both starting games up, and even exiting them promptly, multitasking things on the second display is both unimpacted by, and has zero impact on anything I'm playing, and there's a noticeably lower btu coming out of my computer, since the upgrade.

imagine unironically building a gaming rig in 2016 that still booted from spinning rust :chloe:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still have to fight people, that bug me about computers, about SSDs.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still have to fight people, that bug me about computers, about SSDs.

:psyduck:

Do they ask you for good computer and then say they dont want parts for good computer?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Big Mackson posted:

:psyduck:

Do they ask you for good computer and then say they dont want parts for good computer?

"You should probably buy X computer, it's the best for the money"
"Hey, I went out and bought Y computer from $SHITTYSTORE, is this OK?"

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

"You should probably buy X computer, it's the best for the money"
"Hey, I went out and bought Y computer from $SHITTYSTORE, is this OK?"

i have computer PTSD now

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Palladium posted:

It wasn't so long ago that Intel charged $350 for a 4C/8T, and now it's possible to get a used Ryzen 1600 off Aliexpress and a new basic B450 mobo off Newegg for less than half that price even if we ignored all the crazy bundle deals that happened at Microcenter and Newegg.

You can get some insane deals if you are okay with buying used. I snagged a 6 month old 1600x with a B450 Tomahawk for 140 bucks last week.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Big Mackson posted:

i have computer PTSD now

yeah I offered to help my (gainfully employed software-engineer) cousin pick parts for a gaming rig in 2016 and then he went out and built a bulldozer rig without asking me :gonk:

I told him that I was shopping parts for a 5820K rig because it was 6 cores at Haswell performance and he was like "... do you think that stuff really matters!?"

yeah bud, yeah it does :ughh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 30, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

imagine unironically building a gaming rig in 2016 2010 that still booted from spinning rust :chloe:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

imagine unironically building a gaming rig in 2016 that still booted from spinning rust :chloe:

Good thing that last one I referred to got built in 2013 :/

edit: oh gently caress you Meggido, I've never had a lot of money :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popelmon posted:

You can get some insane deals if you are okay with buying used. I snagged a 6 month old 1600x with a B450 Tomahawk for 140 bucks last week.

I'm currently running on a 6C/12T Xeon 2430v2 that I got for ~68 USD off Aliexpress, combined with an OEM (read: knock-off, unbranded) Chinese LGA1356 motherboard for ~58 USD, and two sticks of 8 GB DDR3 ECC RAM for ~31 USD per stick.

The Radeon RX 560 was also just ~51 USD, and the whole build came in at just over 450 USD.

(I'm still slowly accumulating parts for a Ryzen rig anyway because there's no upgrade path for this, as much as I love it.)

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah I offered to help my (gainfully employed software-engineer) cousin pick parts for a gaming rig in 2016 and then he went out and built a bulldozer rig without asking me :gonk:

I told him that I was picking parts for a 5820K rig because it was 6 cores at Haswell performance and he was like "... do you think that stuff really matters!?"

yeah bud, yeah it does :ughh:

I begged someone to buy a slightly better laptop than the ancient pos they had because coming over and removing crap and making windows update actually update just so it could barely work was insanely poo poo. I stopped coming over when he refused to stop drinking and taking pills and bother me with hours long ramblins while i was waiting for /sfc or windows update to finish. that was just barely better than the time i was maintenancing a computer at this finnish guys house and he and the russian hookers drank vodka and he wouldnt stop saying the SAME SENTENCE OVER AND OVER LIKE A drat GOLDFISH FCUK!"!"!!

sry for flashback.

"hey bro dont use my russian hooker man, i trust u"

*his bro and hooker goes away for a while"

"brooooo :("

edit: if i had been doing computer things as a profession i would no poo poo be an alcoholic.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 30, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Big Mackson posted:

I begged someone to buy a slightly better laptop than the ancient pos they had because coming over and removing crap and making windows update actually update just so it could barely work was insanely poo poo. I stopped coming over when he refused to stop drinking and taking pills and bother me with hours long ramblins while i was waiting for /sfc or windows update to finish. that was just barely better than the time i was maintenancing a computer at this finnish guys house and he and the russian hookers drank vodka and he wouldnt stop saying the SAME SENTENCE OVER AND OVER LIKE A drat GOLDFISH FCUK!"!"!!

sry for flashback.

yeah I don't think that one was the fault of the computer there

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

imagine unironically building a gaming rig in 2016 2010 that still booted from spinning rust

yeah, pretty much. I think I moved my gaming rig to SSD in like 2012 or so, I bought a 120 GB Samsung 830 for $120 and that was a pretty good deal at the time. $1/GB was the price point to beat at the time, I remember that much. Back in the day when you had to just boot from a drive because it was too expensive to put everything on SSD (I am now reliving this with an Optane 280GB - fantastic drive, got a pair of them for $200 each, but they're too small, and you can't boot Windows from spanned filesystems, I'm thinking of trying to sell them and trade for one 480GB).

it was such a quantum leap, I had a really nice Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 that I'd got in 2007 and it poo poo itself in 2012, I was then gifted a craptastic Compaq CQ56 as compensation for the NVIDIA bumpgate thing (for an undoubtedly equally terrible laptop my grandma had had) and the only move I could figure out to help me get through my senior years (of a computer science degree, mind you) was to install Lubuntu (lightweight LDXE based ubuntu) on an SSD. It was not good at all but it was somewhat usable, unlike that laptop with windows and a hdd. It completely poo poo itself attempting to install Visual Studio, I think it took overnight or more.

that PC had basically the last vestige of Athlon 64, single-core first-gen Phenom at the blazing speed of 2.3 GHz. AMD Athlon V140. Between Linux and a SSD it was a completely different PC... went from total trash to semi tolerable.

Then I was like fuuuuuck that and bought a refurb Nehalem Thinkpad with a Quadro so I could do my CUDA-related grad work, was the best $400 laptop I've ever bought. Thing is still hanging in there like a champ, I've abused it past any reasonable limit (up to and including actually stepping on the screen when it slipped under the bed one time) and it's literally still ticking almost 7 years later.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 30, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm currently running on a 6C/12T Xeon 2430v2 that I got for ~68 USD off Aliexpress, combined with an OEM (read: knock-off, unbranded) Chinese LGA1356 motherboard for ~58 USD, and two sticks of 8 GB DDR3 ECC RAM for ~31 USD per stick.

The Radeon RX 560 was also just ~51 USD, and the whole build came in at just over 450 USD.

(I'm still slowly accumulating parts for a Ryzen rig anyway because there's no upgrade path for this, as much as I love it.)

I assumed you bought those parts some time back? Because paying those prices now is a ripoff.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always give my old parts away and I gave my early adopted 256 GB SSD to someone who had a 300 GB Raptor from 2007 as their main drive they were so suspicious of me giving them a smaller hard drive and insisting it was faster. They sat on it for like a year and finally put it in and then had to call me to tell me how much faster it was. This is unrelated, but that same person also used tapes until 2014 when I gave them a SD card media player. They still use FLACs and other crazy stuff, but the benefits of a SD card were finally revealed to them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

I assumed you bought those parts some time back? Because paying those prices now is a ripoff.

I'm in the Philippines, so there's a significant mark-up for shipping (and avoiding our regular postal service), but it was still cheaper than buying retail as far as I could tell.

For example, I also bought an Athlon 200GE for 2,510 pesos (about 48 USD) two weeks ago, and it would have cost 3,600 pesos (about 69 USD) in a brick-and-mortar store.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

craig588 posted:

They still use FLACs and other crazy stuff, but the benefits of a SD card were finally revealed to them.

FLAC is great, it's for people that want to experience music at its highest quality.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm in the Philippines, so there's a significant mark-up for shipping (and avoiding our regular postal service), but it was still cheaper than buying retail as far as I could tell.

For example, I also bought an Athlon 200GE for 2,510 pesos (about 48 USD) two weeks ago, and it would have cost 3,600 pesos (about 69 USD) in a brick-and-mortar store.

Even within the context of Aliexpress:

80 USD for used Ryzen 1600, like I mentioned earlier.
60 USD gets you a brand new AM4 mobo which is at the very least made by Colorful, a major brandname manufacturer for Chinese domestic market.
84 USD for 2x8GB Adata DDR4-3000C16.

Which beats the hell out of any Xeon + rebuilt mobo of VERY questionable reliability + server DDR3 in price/performance on that the same site. The Youtubers are overselling the value proposition of used Xeons way too much.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 30, 2019

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin
I put FLACs on sdcards. Check mate. :smug:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lambert posted:

FLAC is great, it's for people that want to experience music at its highest quality.

flac is great when you want to store "CD audio" but then transcode it to various formats for your phone that can only handle 64GB of music, your desktop where you only want to store 128GB, etc

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
FLAC is great for keeping around as a source when you spend tons of time keeping up with the latest minute advancements in encoders, and then spend thousands of dollars on hardware so you can constantly re-encode all your audio for optimal listening while you're doing things where you can't hear poo poo anyway.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a derail I didn't mean to cause. I just thought it was funny he went from tapes to lossless and still uses 10 dollar portable headphones. Skipped CDs entirely because they're too fragile. This is the same person that says my 10 GB very slow 265 rips might as well be unwatchable. They have source quality rips of blurays on their NAS because they say they can instantly see the difference.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 30, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Lambert posted:

Archival reasons alone are enough of a justification for using lossless formats when disk-space has continued to grow at an astonishing rate (although it's a pity that bandwidth hasn't kept up).
The earliest part of my digital music collection that I've been working on for almost 25 years have been converted from one format to another enough times that any lossy codec is statistically likely to start exhibiting loss of audio quality. What makes FLAC great is what makes any well-compressed lossless format great: When a new format comes a long, you just have to spend some electricity re-compressing, which gets faster as long as CPUs keep getting faster/more SMP/SMT.

Riflen posted:

I put FLACs on sdcards. Check mate. :smug:
That's fine, as long as you use ZFS. You just need a minimum of 64MB per SD card. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
2011-ish is the year I switched off spinning rust and onto an SSD and never looked back. I was one of the lucky motherfuckers that got an OCZ Vertex 3s that did NOT exhibit any of the controller problems that others were having.