Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

Assuming you mean peel and without pith then yeah, but the cinnamon limits you a lot. It's probably a lot stronger than the orange. You should probably not use that with fish. You could make some brittle?

Peanut brittle and the like? I've never made it. That would be interesting.

I hadn't thought about making a dessert with it. Thank you. I'll give it a shot, it's VERY aromatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
You could make a syrup with it if you ever make things that you would like it as a syrup on/in (pancakes, coffee, cocktails, whatever) (strain it first).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

toe knee hand posted:

You could make a syrup with it if you ever make things that you would like it as a syrup on/in (pancakes, coffee, cocktails, whatever) (strain it first).

Yeah, I was thinking that at first, but I wanted to see if I could incorporate it into another recipe. Sugar + that just seemed so...common, you know?

I wanted to see if I could Bourge it up a bit.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Drifter posted:

Peanut brittle and the like? I've never made it. That would be interesting.

Yeah. I can't think of a way to use it that wouldn't involve candymaking in some way. Cinnamon is often used in brittle...probably not that much though. Dunno how it would turn out.

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that at first, but I wanted to see if I could incorporate it into another recipe. Sugar + that just seemed so...common, you know?

I wanted to see if I could Bourge it up a bit.

Probably not what you're looking for, but you could mix in some powdered sugar and make a glaze for cakes/muffins/whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to eat less meat but I don't "like" rice, potatoes, and other starchy foods. Nothing against them, it's just they're way more carbs than I need to eat and I'm not saying this from a weird keto/paleo standpoint. I'm hardly low carb but I actively avoid them when possible unless it's beer or pizza though I'm not gonna complain if someone wants to share fries with me. Anyway what else can I eat as "filler"? Also what are my options for protein other than beans all day everyday?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to eat less meat but I don't "like" rice, potatoes, and other starchy foods. Nothing against them, it's just they're way more carbs than I need to eat and I'm not saying this from a weird keto/paleo standpoint. I'm hardly low carb but I actively avoid them when possible unless it's beer or pizza though I'm not gonna complain if someone wants to share fries with me. Anyway what else can I eat as "filler"? Also what are my options for protein other than beans all day everyday?

Cruciferous vegetables?

I like making filling veggie sides of carrot and cauliflower puree, roasted brussels sprouts, asparagus, stuff like that maybe?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Agreed on the cruciferous veggies. I eat a poo poo ton of broccoli and it's full of fiber which helps keep me full. Also you can make a cauliflower puree that will somewhat mimic mashed potatoes and it'll be low carb and delicious.

As far as protein, tofu tossed lightly with a neutral oil (like canola), salt and pepper and then roasted is fuckin' delicious.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I'm planning on doing a nice home cooked meal for my dad for his birthday in a few weeks. I asked what he wanted, and he's given me a lot of leeway in terms of what he would like.

He has listed thus far:
Beef
Potatoes
Chocolate
Asparagus

Asparagus is easy enough, probably going to roast in the oven, little oil, S&P. Simple. Potatoes, I have about 100 different recipes there, so I can do whatever sounds good at the time.

The others, I'm hitting a bit of a block. I'm not great at cooking steaks (don't eat them very often, wife doesn't like them, no grill) so I was thinking a small roast or something. I'm not opposed to steaks, but I'd need a whole Steak for Idiots guide (What cut, what size, how to cook in cast iron)

Chocolate is pretty vague, and while I've thrown together a few chocolate dishes in my time, I'd like to do something a little more elaborate than just a chocolate cake.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on good beef dishes or chocolate deserts, I'd appreciate it.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

So, I'm planning on doing a nice home cooked meal for my dad for his birthday in a few weeks. I asked what he wanted, and he's given me a lot of leeway in terms of what he would like.

He has listed thus far:
Beef
Potatoes
Chocolate
Asparagus

Asparagus is easy enough, probably going to roast in the oven, little oil, S&P. Simple. Potatoes, I have about 100 different recipes there, so I can do whatever sounds good at the time.

The others, I'm hitting a bit of a block. I'm not great at cooking steaks (don't eat them very often, wife doesn't like them, no grill) so I was thinking a small roast or something. I'm not opposed to steaks, but I'd need a whole Steak for Idiots guide (What cut, what size, how to cook in cast iron)

Chocolate is pretty vague, and while I've thrown together a few chocolate dishes in my time, I'd like to do something a little more elaborate than just a chocolate cake.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on good beef dishes or chocolate deserts, I'd appreciate it.

Steak is not difficult to cook.* Get a cut from the center of the cow (rib eye, strip steak, tenderloin if you're feeling Expensive), rub it down with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 500 and heat up a cast iron skillet to as hot as you can get it on the stove. When both oven and pan are hot, add several tablespoons of a high smoke point vegetable oil to the skillet and throw the steaks on. Sear for 1-2 minutes on both sides, until a solidly dark crust has formed. Then put in hot oven. Length of time will vary depending on how thick your steaks are and how done you want them, and I don't have a good guide for this, but I can tell you 10 minutes overcooked a 1" rib eye to medium well.

If you have a dutch oven and 4 hours, I am a large recommender of braising short ribs or beef shank. To braise, brown the meat as you do with the steak described above, then transfer to a dutch oven and cover with stock (whatever stock, I like chicken) and tomatoes (canned however is fine), throw in some coarsely chopped onion and garlic, put a lid on it and put in a 350 degree oven for over 3 and a half hours.

* Getting it PERFECT might be tricky, but it's steak. If you have a good cut and you don't cook it until it's well done or beyond, people will still enjoy it

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
I've searched 525 pages of cooking discussion here and scoured Google, but I still can't find a straight answer about lemon juice preservation!
I'm a pretty heavy lemonade drinker and infused-water enthusiast. I usually make lemonade for myself by the glass, I use a plastic juicer and I like to make it in a big plastic tumbler.
I'm trying to make a homemade lemonade concentrate/syrup that doesn't become bitter in the fridge, and I'd also really like to know if there's a way to preserve fresh lemon juice for several days without it becoming bitter as well. I've tried cooking down lemon juice, water, and sugar with salt and without, I've tried just carefully juicing and salting the juice, I've tried cooking a heavy sugar syrup both with and without salt and adding the juice after, and I've tried bottling fresh juice and sugar both with and without, but nothing works. I've checked online for lemonade concentrate recipes and have tried them, but they all turn bitter on me too! I've consulted with my pro-chef friends about this and I'm a fairly competent cook and ex-pro baker myself but I'm still not really getting an answer.
I'd like to be able to make a fantastic bottle of lemonade concentrate that will hang out in the fridge for a little while and also travel with me to parties n stuff. I have a gorgeous glass juice bottle for it and everything. I'm a serious citrus beverage worshiper.
I've been lurking for a long time (seriously like since the 90s, it's really shameful) and finally got the balls to buy an account so I can nerd out in the Let's Play forum and talk about food. I know goons can help me with my citrus problems. Any ideas?

Also, anyone who wants to talk infused and flavored waters, that's totally my jam.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't help you with your question at all, but god drat if you don't just totally remind me of Chris Traeger.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If it's just a few days I think you can freeze lemon juice just fine.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

The Midniter posted:

I can't help you with your question at all, but god drat if you don't just totally remind me of Chris Traeger.

I had to look up that name to figure out who that is, is that a bad thing or a good thing? I don't know the character. Am I in trouble?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If it's just a few days I think you can freeze lemon juice just fine.

Freezing is a totally possible method of preservation, you're right, I'm just trying to find an answer as to whether or not it's possible to keep the sweetened juice, some kind of cooked juice syrup thingy, or or the plain juice around for a while.

Edit: Oh, ooohhh ok I see what you mean about being like the Chris Traeger character. I'm a pretty nice upbeat person in general, it's hard to offend me, but I assure you I'm not a health nut, I do hate a lotta stuff, and if you piss me off because you're a goddamn idiot I will loving tear your heart out, piss on it, and shove it in your rear end in a top hat in front of your family.

Let's talk flavored water everyone! YAAAAY!

Buttflakes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 18, 2014

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Bitter? I make my own sour mix (for glorious whiskey sours--2C sugar, 2Cwater, 1C fresh lemon juice plus a little bit) en masse for the fridge and have never had it turn bitter. Like a triple batch in the summer time especially. It sits in there for a couple weeks. (Why would it turn bitter? :iiam:) Do you use the peel? Even a little bit of pith (the white part) on the peel while steeping will make it turn bitter very quickly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also what are my options for protein other than beans all day everyday?

You can cut ground beef with 50% TVP (textured vegetable protein, a soy product). This will drastically decrease the cholesterol and saturated fat, without changing the flavor much (as long as you properly season the TVP).

The ground beef at Taco Bell is about 15% TVP.

Also, eggs, cottage cheese and greek yogurt are also good concentrated sources of protein.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

AlistairCookie posted:

Bitter? I make my own sour mix (for glorious whiskey sours--2C sugar, 2Cwater, 1C fresh lemon juice plus a little bit) en masse for the fridge and have never had it turn bitter. Like a triple batch in the summer time especially. It sits in there for a couple weeks. (Why would it turn bitter? :iiam:) Do you use the peel? Even a little bit of pith (the white part) on the peel while steeping will make it turn bitter very quickly.

I am very careful about excluding the pith and the rind and I don't put any peels or slices in it, either- just juice, but thanks much for the sour mix recipe!
It really is a mystery and I kinda feel like I almost need a chemist or something to analyze the poo poo in my kitchen and my water and the air and the juice and all kinds of stuff to get to the bottom of this.

I often use Meyer lemons but I really can't see how that would matter. I always wash everything and have been using an oldskool glass knife from the 40s to cut everything.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I keep lemon juice in the fridge for days at a time and it doesn't get bitter - usually in a glass monkey dish covered with saran wrap. But I squeeze my lemons with this:

http://www.tmart.com/Stainless-Steel-Lemon-Squeezer-Juicer_p113323.html

Not using a reamer or a twisty juicer thing. Is it possible you're pushing and turning too hard and getting some of the pith's flavor in your juice? It should last a few days in the fridge - it will lose some of its zing, but it shouldn't turn bitter.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

pr0k posted:

I keep lemon juice in the fridge for days at a time and it doesn't get bitter - usually in a glass monkey dish covered with saran wrap. But I squeeze my lemons with this:

http://www.tmart.com/Stainless-Steel-Lemon-Squeezer-Juicer_p113323.html

Not using a reamer or a twisty juicer thing. Is it possible you're pushing and turning too hard and getting some of the pith's flavor in your juice? It should last a few days in the fridge - it will lose some of its zing, but it shouldn't turn bitter.

What's hosed-up is that's the same type of juicer I used to use, but I switched to a different juicer because I thought maybe the metal tool was somehow reacting with the acid or something and causing the problem. What the hell is going on here!?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Has anyone else tasted the bitterness besides yourself? And I'm not being mean, or accusing you of being crazy. ;) But sometimes people's taste buds can get 'off' for various reasons--meds, medical conditions, etc. I only ask, because it sounds like you've switched up all sorts of things, and are still tasting it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I had a plastic one of those, and it lasted 3 lemons before it snapped. :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Buttflakes posted:

I am very careful about excluding the pith and the rind and I don't put any peels or slices in it, either- just juice, but thanks much for the sour mix recipe!
It really is a mystery and I kinda feel like I almost need a chemist or something to analyze the poo poo in my kitchen and my water and the air and the juice and all kinds of stuff to get to the bottom of this.

I often use Meyer lemons but I really can't see how that would matter. I always wash everything and have been using an oldskool glass knife from the 40s to cut everything.

Maybe it's picking up the stink from other food in your fridge?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Yeah, I think we need to look elsewhere. Clean fridge, clean freezer, sanitize everything, and have a second palate confirm this bitterness. You're not on ...what is it...? Statins? What's the med where you can't have grapefruit?

Squashy Nipples posted:

I had a plastic one of those, and it lasted 3 lemons before it snapped. :(

I had the popular enameled ones, replaced (free) twice before I gave up. Enamel kept flaking off. The fancy stainless one from W-S is nice. I think that's what we have.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 18, 2014

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

AlistairCookie posted:

Has anyone else tasted the bitterness besides yourself? And I'm not being mean, or accusing you of being crazy. ;) But sometimes people's taste buds can get 'off' for various reasons--meds, medical conditions, etc. I only ask, because it sounds like you've switched up all sorts of things, and are still tasting it.

Good point, meds and body chemistry stuff can really mess with your sense of taste. I have a pretty serious neurological problem and I will actually sometimes lose my sense of taste but not my sense of smell. My spouse is the only other person who has tasted the bitter juice, and he agrees that it is really bitter, but I suppose I could force my friends to try it as well.

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe it's picking up the stink from other food in your fridge?

Maybe you're teasing me and I'm just dumb, but bitter isn't really an odor, and things generally need to have at least a little bit of fat to pick up an odor... The bitterness happening here is on the tongue, not in the nose. The juice is lemony and delicious to the nose, so I don't think it's picking anything up. My fridge is pretty clean most of the time, the heavy cream and butter I keep in there seem to be fine.

Is it possible that this is a body chemistry thing? Aliens, it's aliens and lizard people doing this to me.

CzarChasm posted:

He has listed thus far:
Beef
Potatoes
Chocolate
Asparagus

This really isn't a fancy dinner idea, but how does your dad feel about meatloaf? I suggest this because it's been my experience that meatloaf is a dad-pleaser. My dad and my uncle are always really pleasantly surprised when they come over and smell that magical loafy-goodness, some dads are visibly excited when meatloaf cruises by. I make mine with finely-ground bison, it's a lot less greasy and the flavors are beefier. It's hard to screw it up and you can bake it in the oven right in that cast-iron pan.

Classic chocolate pudding is really easy, and if you make it with half-and-half or cream instead of milk, it will totally blow some minds. If you're intimidated by a pudding, remember you can always strain out the lumps and nobody has to know! There's a really good recipe at the bottom of this page:
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/02/best-chocolate-pudding/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Not screwing with you.

So, maybe if lemon juice by itself is turning bitter for some reason, try making honey lemon tea instead of lemonade.

Soaking lemons in sugars will completely remove any bitterness after 1 day, you just keep a jar of this concentrate in your fridge and I'm 100% certain it will never turn bitter. Just add some tablespoons of this stuff to water and mix and you've got yourself something close to lemonade but sweetened with honey instead of sugar

I just leave the lemon slices in and eat them whole with the drink because they're delicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cA4VN_ywfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU__ZAHH8V8

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 18, 2014

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

You know what? I'm gonna leave this mystery unsolved and just do this, cuz gently caress it. Thanks very much for the videos.
If it turns out bitter with the honey, I'm going to just set my kitchen on fire and start over.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Does anybody else find 12" pans just too drat big? I'm restarting my kitchen from scratch (new apartment, first one post-college) and instead of inheriting a bunch of stuff, I'm buying most of it. Picked up a 12" all-clad, and it's sort of enormous. Tempted to return it and get a 10". Cooking for one 85% of the time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there anything special I need to do when keeping bacon fat? I assume it can go in a tupperware box but doesn't need to go in the fridge?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jose posted:

Is there anything special I need to do when keeping bacon fat? I assume it can go in a tupperware box but doesn't need to go in the fridge?

It doesn't need to be refrigerated but I wouldn't put it in Tupperware myself, melting plastic and all that...Save an old glass jar or something and use that for it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nwin posted:

It doesn't need to be refrigerated but I wouldn't put it in Tupperware myself, melting plastic and all that...Save an old glass jar or something and use that for it.

Funnily enough, I keep mine in an old tupperware in the fridge. If I keep it in the cabinet, it warms up enough that it makes the cabinet start to smell like bacon. Not that bacon is a bad smell, but then the butter starts to smell like bacon and.....

Anyway in the fridge it stays nice and stable. And I pour hot grease from the skillet right into the tupperware with no problems.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eh some of the plastic ware I've used definitely showed signs of deterioration after pouring bacon grease into it, which is why I use glass now.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I use old coffee mugs, keep in fridge uncovered. No worries about the hot fat damaging the mug.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hypnolobster posted:

Does anybody else find 12" pans just too drat big? I'm restarting my kitchen from scratch (new apartment, first one post-college) and instead of inheriting a bunch of stuff, I'm buying most of it. Picked up a 12" all-clad, and it's sort of enormous. Tempted to return it and get a 10". Cooking for one 85% of the time.
Too big for what? Unless you've got serious storage problems or you're cooking on a tiny rear end hot plate or something I can think of a shitload of reasons why you might find yourself wanting a bigger pan and very few where you'd actually need a smaller one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Too big for what? Unless you've got serious storage problems or you're cooking on a tiny rear end hot plate or something I can think of a shitload of reasons why you might find yourself wanting a bigger pan and very few where you'd actually need a smaller one.

Sometimes it's too big to handle. I've had friends over who couldn't even lift my cast iron 13" skillet in one hand, much less flip a pancake in it. :smug:

The only time I kinda want a 8" skillet would be to make nicely shaped omelets and stuff, though. :sigh:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Drifter posted:

Sometimes it's too big to handle. I've had friends over who couldn't even lift my cast iron 13" skillet in one hand, much less flip a pancake in it. :smug:
A 12" All-Clad fry pan weighs under 2 pounds (compared to the around 7 your cast iron probably weighs). Anyone who has problems handling a 12" stainless fry pan, well, has problems.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I dunno, I kinda get what they're saying. I usually use my tiny pans like 99% of the time, because why get out my big one? More to clean, harder to handle, and it just seems to make more sense to me. Sometimes it's nice to have the food be stacked deeper and not wider, too (but not always) and in those cases it's better to have a smaller pan for smaller servings. But having a big one is definitely useful if you cook for more than one or two people.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
We have all teflon pans at home and I've been looking for a stainless steel pan for some time now. Apparently in Switzerland we are strongly against stainless steel because the only pans that I find are very expensive, something like 150$.
Are stainless steel pan very expensive in the US as well?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Le0 posted:

We have all teflon pans at home and I've been looking for a stainless steel pan for some time now. Apparently in Switzerland we are strongly against stainless steel because the only pans that I find are very expensive, something like 150$.
Are stainless steel pan very expensive in the US as well?

Not from America, but I've been hunting for stainless steel pans over here (the Netherlands) as well in the past, and discovered that it was pretty much impossible for less than 100 euro (or something like that).

Now, I gave up on the search and had no room for another pan anyway, but I recently ran into some at Ikea
So, I do not own one, and have no idea how good they are, but in my experience, other cookware from Ikea is pretty good.

Here's an example, maybe the Swiss Ikea sells them as well?

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/90207336/

edit:
oh look, they do http://www.ikea.com/ch/de/catalog/products/90207336/

paraquat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 19, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

phthalocyanine posted:

Steak is not difficult to cook.* Get a cut from the center of the cow (rib eye, strip steak, tenderloin if you're feeling Expensive), rub it down with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 500 and heat up a cast iron skillet to as hot as you can get it on the stove. When both oven and pan are hot, add several tablespoons of a high smoke point vegetable oil to the skillet and throw the steaks on. Sear for 1-2 minutes on both sides, until a solidly dark crust has formed. Then put in hot oven. Length of time will vary depending on how thick your steaks are and how done you want them, and I don't have a good guide for this, but I can tell you 10 minutes overcooked a 1" rib eye to medium well.

For someone that isn't confident in his ability to cook steak, I'd stick to a ribeye. Tenderloin isn't too hard to overcook and I find ribeye to much more flavorful than strip.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Funnily enough, I keep mine in an old tupperware in the fridge. If I keep it in the cabinet, it warms up enough that it makes the cabinet start to smell like bacon. Not that bacon is a bad smell, but then the butter starts to smell like bacon and.....

Anyway in the fridge it stays nice and stable. And I pour hot grease from the skillet right into the tupperware with no problems.

I also keep mine in a tupperware. Once my cast iron has cooled down enough to me to handle I just strain straight into the bowl. I do keep it covered and in the fridge. When I get to the bottom I clean it out and I've not noticed any damage to the tupperware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Yeah, I feel this way too... a friend gave us a 5 inch Lodge cast iron skillet some time ago. I think it's ridiculous and never use it, but the GF thinks it's cute and loves it. Mostly she just dry toasts spices in it, I guess that's a good use for it.