Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In a world where the Netflix/Marvel partnership kept on I wonder if/how they would have dealt with the fallout of Infinity War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"You remember when everyone died for five years and Kingpin fixed everything from prison and was exonerated of all charges? Then everyone came back and everything sucked worse than before? Sure glad Coulson's not around to see this..."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

So yeah if JJ season three has a villain of substance itll be fine.

Jerusalem posted:

Just literally make all of season 3 the subplot from the comic where J Jonah Jameson hires her to figure out Spider-Man's secret identity, and she just spends the money/time on doing a bunch of charity work instead. He gets pissed off and threatens to sue and Robbie has to quietly remind him that suing somebody for volunteering her time to sing to sick children is probably not a good look for the paper.

Glad we're in agreement :hai:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

In a world where the Netflix/Marvel partnership kept on I wonder if/how they would have dealt with the fallout of Infinity War.

They dealt with absolutely no other movie, because the TV division was kept separate so they could get a bunch of B and C-tier New York characters and pretend really hard that they were writing dramas.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They dealt with absolutely no other movie, because the TV division was kept separate so they could get a bunch of B and C-tier New York characters and pretend really hard that they were writing dramas.

I thought the problem is/was that Perlmutter and Feige got in a lot of arguments over the direction of the MCU (amogn other things Perlmutter wanted to play down the magical side of Thor, as well as forced them to change Maya Hansen from being the Mandarin), and in the end Feige went over his head and was able to take the movies independent of Perlmutter, but Perlmutter still has control over the TV division and is still salty about it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Isn't Perlmutter famously cheap and wants to do everything ahead of schedule and under budget? Like he gets poo poo done fast, but he's so focused on the profit margin that he doesn't care about the quality drop if he hits his targets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Andrigaar posted:

Isn't Perlmutter famously cheap and wants to do everything ahead of schedule and under budget? Like he gets poo poo done fast, but he's so focused on the profit margin that he doesn't care about the quality drop if he hits his targets.

Yes, and Perlmutter is also a noted misogynist who hates anything to do with female characters "Because female characters don't sell." He was apparently the biggest force blocking a Black Widow solo movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cythereal posted:

Yes, and Perlmutter is also a noted misogynist who hates anything to do with female characters "Because female characters don't sell." He was apparently the biggest force blocking a Black Widow solo movie.

It was female toys don’t sell, not female characters, he owned Toy Biz(with screenwriter Avi Arafat) before he joined Marvel. But he wasn’t entirely wrong, just for the wrong reasons. Female action figures weren’t really selling, but it was because they looked like they were designed and painted by someone who had never seen a woman before. Around 2014 Hasbro completely retooled a new body for female characters and they’ve been selling really well ever since.

Though another story of how cheap Perlmutter is? He didn’t think every floor in the Marvel HQ building needed a bathroom so he walled up the bathrooms, keeping only every third floor or so active.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
But... but it costs more to brick them up than to run them. What?

Endgame today. All the usual goon suspects think it sucks so I’m really looking forward to it. :)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I can’t imagine what level of critical fart sniffing the CD Avengers thread looks like. The one time I dipped my toe in there was to be like “Logan was an ok movie but it’s definitely not amazing and introducing a humble middle class black family only for them to be harassed by racists and then brutally murdered was a really bad way to induce emotional context to the stupid violence we’re seeing” and basically got run out of the thread for impeding on the sanctity of needlessly racially charged violence.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

I can’t imagine what level of critical fart sniffing the CD Avengers thread looks like. The one time I dipped my toe in there was to be like “Logan was an ok movie but it’s definitely not amazing and introducing a humble middle class black family only for them to be harassed by racists and then brutally murdered was a really bad way to induce emotional context to the stupid violence we’re seeing” and basically got run out of the thread for impeding on the sanctity of needlessly racially charged violence.

The day I read the front page CD review of Avengers that spent an entire page on 9/11 is when I knew CD was a bunch of pretentious nerds trying to imitate Ebert’s Disapproving Movie Tone.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s also important to point out that Cine’Ds most prolific poster is the single most ignored user on Something Awful

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chokes McGee posted:

But... but it costs more to brick them up than to run them. What?

Endgame today. All the usual goon suspects think it sucks so I’m really looking forward to it. :)

I was mistaken, the story was when they built the new offices Ike wouldn't allow more than bathroom per gender.

"It’s also led to arcane practices within Marvel to keep the budget low. Reportedly, Ike gives new Marvel execs a book that says the best way to make money is to spend as few resources possible while keeping the same pace—or doubling it. Marvel employees are kind of like the rats in those caloric restriction experiments. They’re given the lowest possible amount of resources to get the job done. When something absolutely positively has to be purchased, it’s half of what was asked for.

It gets downright messy. Marvel’s new offices have only one restroom for each gender. In a company of hundreds of people. The post-lunch hour piddle line is said to be especially long and people actually stagger their lunches so as not to wait in it. There’s a human resources staff of one for the whole company. Review copies? You’ve got to be kidding. Editors have to purchase copies of the books they worked on. The precious archives of assets have dwindled over the years due to not spending any money to save them."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also important to point out that Cine’Ds most prolific poster is the single most ignored user on Something Awful

I believe it. I have maybe 2 or 3 people on ignore and I think 2 of them have been banned.

Try as I might, I just can not get hyped for Avengers: Endgame or really any comic book stuff. There's too much of it and it comes too fast for me to give a poo poo. Now we're into time travel. Christ.

Shazam and Spiderverse were cool because they did something a bit different and threw some fun into the mix but I think the last MCU movie that stuck with me at all was Dr. Strange. I got geeked for Daredevil S3 because DD is my favorite superhero, I love the cast and enjoyed the first 2 seasons but I just quit on Punisher S2 after maybe 5 episodes. I forget what turned me off to it but whatever it was it was a distinct and tangible drop in quality, off a cliff style. I get the feeling Netflix saw the writing on the wall and just started to mail it in.

Punisher s1 was pretty great. I'd put DD, JJs1, 2/3 of Luke Cage plus Punisher S1 up against any of the MCU films and I applaud Netflix for what they tried to do and for the stuff they did was successful. I prefer the street level low power set heroes anyway and was really holding out hope for a possible Moon Knight series. I think overall Netflix did a pretty great job despite their gently caress ups and their high points were far superior to the ongoing RDJ Iron Man show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Holy poo poo. Endgame is aggressively bland.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It could an epic thrill ride but 3 hours and 20 minutes is simply too long to stay excited for something.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bust Rodd posted:

It could an epic thrill ride but 3 hours and 20 minutes is simply too long to stay excited for something.

Literally every turning point between acts is done in an off handed “well that happened :shrug:” manner and it’s terrible

The fight at the end is great but I wanted like a movie of that not a tv episode

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I mean they’re going to make four billion dollars and buy their own small nation state so w/e but that writing was just inexcusably bad

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
This thread and the critic reviews saying that it was really just an above average movie are really getting my hyped.

I'll still go eventually.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Andrigaar posted:

This thread and the critic reviews saying that it was really just an above average movie are really getting my hyped.

I'll still go eventually.

You should’ve gone for my account. *snaps fingers, endgame is half as good as it could’ve been*

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s also a massive cinematic event... where everything relevant to the plot has happened in other films and the conclusions of this film are all but set in stone anyways.

Whatever though as long as Joss Whedon stops finding work I’ll be ok

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It suffers even more from being a foregone conclusion than Infinity War does. Everyone knows they weren't gonna kill off Spider-man, but at least IF managed to wring some pathos out of it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't like cool things either.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah I don't like cool things either.

Great, you should love endgame

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I trust the judgment of people who like MCU TV even less than people who post regularly in CD, and with that being said Endgame is much better than I thought it was going to be and worth going to see.

If you can sit through 13 hour seasons that have 5 episodes of plot, you can sit through a three-hour movie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I trust the judgment of people who like MCU TV even less than people who post regularly in CD, and with that being said Endgame is much better than I thought it was going to be and worth going to see.

If you can sit through 13 hour seasons that have 5 episodes of plot, you can sit through a three-hour movie.

I think there's like 3 people left in this thread who actually enjoyed any MCU TV after JJ1 and LC1

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It suffers even more from being a foregone conclusion than Infinity War does. Everyone knows they weren't gonna kill off Spider-man, but at least IF managed to wring some pathos out of it.

I just saw it, and it was fine. I think the worst I could say about it is that if you don’t feel like seeing it in the cinema you won’t be missing much. For a three hour superhero movie there’s a lot of people talking and doing stuff that doesn’t require an audience of screaming kids, people on phones, loud chewing, and crinkling packets to enjoy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve seen the last 3 marvel movies probably a month or so after release in nearly completely empty theaters and I don’t intend to break that record now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

In an empty theatre you can piss wherever you like

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So after a couple months of not watching any, I started watching the Defenders again.

This show is really bad, but I like the part where Stick just decapitates the one guy after he takes Iron Fist hostage.

Also Daredevil continues to be a hilarious gently caress-up and all-around prick. In both this show and the Daredevil seasons they really couldn't get enough of the "HE KEEPS HEROING AND PEOPLE IN HIS LIFE ARE DISAPPOINTED IN HIM FOR IT" stuff.

lol Iron Fist "STOP TELLIING ME TO CALM DOWN LUKE" I want Stick to decapitate Danny now

edit: tbh Jessica Jones is also kinda an rear end in a top hat. Luke Cage and Stick are the only good characters

edit2: It looks like Stick read my post

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 28, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

esperterra posted:

I think there's like 3 people left in this thread who actually enjoyed any MCU TV after JJ1 and LC1

I like them, at least the ones I've seen. They're just coming too fast and all the plot points are getting way too convoluted and codependent that I don't feel any need to invest time worrying about it. Just kind of bored with it to be honest.

EDIT: OH, you said MCU TV

But that's on of the reasons I also liked about the Netflix shows. They were (mostly) self contained and IMO had performances that rivaled and in many cases surpassed the big budget films. Netflix shows I think had higher highs and lower lows. The MCU films are pretty much consistently B to B+ but they're never really all that challenging or fresh and, aside from RDJ in IM1, I don't tend to remember them for their amazing performances. like I do with Beranthal, Cox and D'Onofrio.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Torquemada posted:

I just saw it, and it was fine. I think the worst I could say about it is that if you don’t feel like seeing it in the cinema you won’t be missing much. For a three hour superhero movie there’s a lot of people talking and doing stuff that doesn’t require an audience of screaming kids, people on phones, loud chewing, and crinkling packets to enjoy.

"fine" is pretty faint praise. I enjoyed it and everything, and it's easily the second best Avengers movie. But after Infinity War I was kind of hoping for more.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm watching the trailer for the new Lion King right now and I've gotta say Endgame is certainly no Incredibles 2.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm watching the trailer for the new Lion King right now and I've gotta say Endgame is certainly no Incredibles 2.

And Incredibles 2 is no Aquaman imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

It’s been 12 hours and I still have no idea what the gently caress this post is trying to say.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ytlaya posted:

edit: tbh Jessica Jones is also kinda an rear end in a top hat.

It seemed like the takeaway the writers/showrunner of Defenders got from JJ Season 1 was that Jessica is an alcoholic, so they just wrote a bunch of scenes where she drinks and kinda left her character development at that.

Edit: And the takeaway from LC Season 1 was,"Just play some loving hiphop during the fight scene" and then you don't need to bother with good choreography or editing or anything resembling a reason for any of this stuff to be happening.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 30, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

esperterra posted:

Most enjoyed Punisher S1 and Daredevil S3

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah we made fun of Daredevil’s hit-or-miss fight scenes because we knew how could they could be, but Luke “Trained Military Commando and Champion Prison Cage Fighter” Cage’s fight scenes are probably the laziest fight chore in TV history. Literally no personality in his movements at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah we made fun of Daredevil’s hit-or-miss fight scenes because we knew how could they could be, but Luke “Trained Military Commando and Champion Prison Cage Fighter” Cage’s fight scenes are probably the laziest fight chore in TV history. Literally no personality in his movements at all.

I remember liking Luke Cage's fight scenes at first because of how lazy they were. Dude's super strong and invincible, and he's fighting regular goons 100% of the time so he'd probably break their skulls if he actually hit them. So he just walks through the melee, kinda bored, and just slaps people around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?