Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, you'll probably have to play a couple hundred games a season to make any meaningful climb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Primetime posted:

Do you play gnar yet? Probably best bet.

Separately, what's the best way to get one-off runes/masteries for way off-meta picks. Ive been playing kassadin jungle in normals games when my friends and I are the majority of the team, but there its almost impossible to get any detail on what to pick on him.

I ended up just trying to brute force copy rush's starting stats by looking at his stat bar while waiting for krugs to spawn on stream.

i'm pretty sure he went something like aspd or ad reds ap blues ar yellows and ap or aspd quints. I think you have to go W E Q max and go lich bane early to assassinate into the hextech catalyst item. you won't get ROA quickly enough for it to be worth it

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

stump collector posted:

i'm pretty sure he went something like aspd or ad reds ap blues ar yellows and ap or aspd quints. I think you have to go W E Q max and go lich bane early to assassinate into the hextech catalyst item. you won't get ROA quickly enough for it to be worth it

Yeah, I went aspd quints, ad reds, armor yellows and Mr blue. Masteries 12-18-0 with thunderlords. Same W-E-Q max. Somehow rush still had .02 more aspd at level one, but I'm not too worried there.

Tried 2 games rushing a roa before jungle item, but you still won't get it until 10 minutes or so without some very fortunate ganks.

Granted it's not good by any means. The best strategy is to get the ward jungle item and have your team collapse when the enemy jungler inevitably comes to invade your jungle.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

Hi, I want to pick up a new champ. Please recommend me a champ that can

*easily waveclear/farm gold/cs
*can be build tanky/damage
*cute
*good roams

Annie or Ekko are the only ones I can think of that fit every criteria, unless you think Diana is cute

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Diana IS cute, but her roams pre-6 are kinda poo poo and her waveclear is decidedly "eh."

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

*cute
*good roams

Kayle, maybe?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
kassadin

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Safety Scissors posted:

idk. You're looking at a dozen games just to move up a division. You'll get like 22-24lp per win and lose like 12-14 lp per loss. So that's like 34-35lp every three games. That means it's nine games to get to a promo series and three more to win it. I have no idea if that's flying to you, but you only get 8 dozens before you get into hundreds.

Keep in mind if your MMR is high enough, you will skip divisions (e.g. Plat 5 to Plat 3).

Your general point is right though, a big majority of people will require hundreds of games to make any meaningful climb.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Also speaking of League websites, does anyone remember that site that was basically like op.gg/kassad.in except it would give you silly little tags like Miss Fortune Master! Farming god! Weak laner! for all the people in your game.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Also speaking of League websites, does anyone remember that site that was basically like op.gg/kassad.in except it would give you silly little tags like Miss Fortune Master! Farming god! Weak laner! for all the people in your game.
i don't remember the name but i do remember that it's dead

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

carry.gg RIP

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tired Moritz posted:

*cute
*good roams

Meow-kai

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
i want to cuddle my friend Meow-kai. i bet his pajamas are soft and warm :kimchi:

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
How in the gently caress do people think Garen should be built with five tank items and zero damage

You do NOTHING endgame if you build like that, there are bruiser items that are perfect for him, you don't have to loving buy randuins + visage + thornmail + GA + sunfire

Tilted, two games in a row I've gotten two different Garen players who have done this

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mystery Prize posted:

How in the gently caress do people think Garen should be built with five tank items and zero damage

You do NOTHING endgame if you build like that, there are bruiser items that are perfect for him, you don't have to loving buy randuins + visage + thornmail + GA + sunfire

Tilted, two games in a row I've gotten two different Garen players who have done this

Offensive-tanky Garen is good, but full tanky garen still gets by with max CDR silence, % true damage on (usually) carries, and a % missing health execute.

Maybe it wasn't enough for your team, I wasn't in those games.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mystery Prize posted:

Yeah why wouldn't you at least get black cleaver so you can shred armor while you spin to win?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There is tangible value in absorbing an entire team's worth of cooldowns and still having like 3/4ths of your hp bro

But who doesn't build a warmogs on Garen? cmon

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

You shouldn't build anything beyond BC + Sunfire in most games. But yeah omitting BC is tragic, it's incredibly good on him.

Teikanmi posted:

But who doesn't build a warmogs on Garen? cmon

Warmogs is usually a waste, your passive + spirit visage is already insane amounts of healing. Adding on a Randuins or GA or Sterak's is almost always going to be much more impactful.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If you are a real 90s kid you remember warmogs IE garen. Thumbs up if you remember.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Press CTRL-3 to drop your sword.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

The only challenger goon I know of who I haven't seen in ages is IRL Cat NA or whatever his name was. Had a moose avatar? I don't remember the forum name.

Yeah, his name prior to the change was Colonel Squish or something to that effect. He chain played Nasus, yeah.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Atmogs garen the true og build

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
6 capes of the sun

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
you ask 'why no boots'

you can't outrun the heat death of the universe

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I just played a Veigar game where I went no boots with Tear -> RoA -> Morello -> Seraphs -> Deathcap to see if I could eventually break 2k AP if the dragons came out right. Then we started murdering them and the game ended :(

No boots Veigar is legit though.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

blah_blah posted:

You shouldn't build anything beyond BC + Sunfire in most games. But yeah omitting BC is tragic, it's incredibly good on him.

Warmogs is usually a waste, your passive + spirit visage is already insane amounts of healing. Adding on a Randuins or GA or Sterak's is almost always going to be much more impactful.
Yeah I'm not asking the dude to build full damage, then he just gets demolished. Problem is he did actual 0 damage and their team was full of shields and heals, so they could effectively just ignore him since he wasn't a threat. He sat on their fed MF for like 20 seconds and accomplished nothing while she slowly killed him and sustained with BT lol

Any time someone doesn't buy BC on Garen I die a little inside

Neurolimal posted:

Offensive-tanky Garen is good, but full tanky garen still gets by with max CDR silence, % true damage on (usually) carries, and a % missing health execute.

Maybe it wasn't enough for your team, I wasn't in those games.
He had 10% CDR from the Visage and that's it :(

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

CubeTheory posted:

If I wanted to pick just three supports to really focus on, which three would be the best to cover all my bases? I think I've already decided Janna is one of them, and that Braum is definitely not because I dislike playing him a lot.

it kinda depends on your playstyle. Janna is probably the best peel support, Alistar or Taric as tank supports, VK or Nami as bullies. VK is probably better to learn because mistakes because mistakes will get you killed whereas Nami has speed boosts from her spells and healing, but Nami will teach you how to do stuff other than bully and cc. I prefer Taric over Alistair, but Ali is always going to be useful and you can just look at op or champion.gg for good builds because his build is less dependent on opposition.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
You should Janna/nami, alistar, and bard

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

nsmi is a lot harder to play than she looks, or i have had a uniquely unlikely run of seeing bad namis even when i spectate my plat and diamond friends

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Bubble is an unwieldy skill. It's hard to hit, and even if you get better, your opponents get better. Being 'good' at nami just means that your laning is better than the average rank you're at, and if you can't close games then you're probably not playing other aspects of the game well.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Bubble is so difficult and high impact that it might be the lowest-percentage-hit skillshot cc in the game. If you hit a good one it's basically Leona ult on a basic ability. It's unusual since you can dodge it in literally any direction, instead of just two (for close range colliding skilshots like hooks).

It's also your only non-ult disengage. And since she's a lane bully, you will get ganked and need to hit Q to not die. Zyra has a similar difficulty of being a low-mobility lane bully, but her disengage is easier to hit.

She's incredibly difficult, balanced around pro play (arguably TOO good in competitive) and I don't recommend adding her to your repertoire of supports unless you're either diamond or going to be a Nami Main.

I have her as my Janna counterpick, but go to her as little as possible because my win percentage is like 40%.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kingcobweb posted:

Bubble is so difficult and high impact that it might be the lowest-percentage-hit skillshot cc in the game. If you hit a good one it's basically Leona ult on a basic ability. It's unusual since you can dodge it in literally any direction, instead of just two (for close range colliding skilshots like hooks).

It's also your only non-ult disengage. And since she's a lane bully, you will get ganked and need to hit Q to not die. Zyra has a similar difficulty of being a low-mobility lane bully, but her disengage is easier to hit.

She's incredibly difficult, balanced around pro play (arguably TOO good in competitive) and I don't recommend adding her to your repertoire of supports unless you're either diamond or going to be a Nami Main.

I have her as my Janna counterpick, but go to her as little as possible because my win percentage is like 40%.

Yeah it's about as slow to land as Morgana Binding but is a targeted area instead of linear colliding skillshot.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's a little easier if you're used to old heimer grenade, but even then it's way harder to shotgun.

Her bouncy heals/damage also require a little bit of nuance to get the most of (although bubble is still the biggest skill hurdle)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So the only true rivalry is Bayside High vs Valley High?

Edit: wrong thread

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

So the only true rivalry is Bayside High vs Valley High?

Which one does Poppy attend? that's the superior one

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

valley high, i hate those guys!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The cycle of bayside and valley continues

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
*Jinx TP's Corporate Mundo's jungle*

"BAAAAYSIDE HOUSE!!!!!!"

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Honestly I treated Nami's bubble as an Urgot canister in that you just aim for the guy when they're trying to last hit and that felt really easy. When someone engages on you not nearly so much and you die to a really swift breeze. Really bubble is nice and all but the two biggest important things are chaining bounces to heal yourself during your harass and water hands-ing your ADC when they're harassing or do it to yourself while the projectile is in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

using your E on yourself so you can slow someone to bubble them easier is legit but Nami is still really hard to play

• Locked thread