Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im an enthusiast and I like that electric cars are a thing.

Super torquey cars are fun as poo poo. Maybe one day we can have sporty EVs that aren't the tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My only problem with sports or racing EVs is the lack of awesome loud noises.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cage posted:

Trollin post. She didnt want to run into the wall on the right so she over corrected and snap over steer happened.

I like to think that it was "I was going to win this race until that rear end in a top hat just wrecked me. Maybe I can put his engine into his crotch, teach him not to be such a dick." *ram*

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

PeterWeller posted:

I like shifting. :(

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Laserface posted:

Im an enthusiast and I like that electric cars are a thing.

Super torquey cars are fun as poo poo. Maybe one day we can have sporty EVs that aren't the tesla.

I think there's going to be a long time before we can have an enthusiasts' EV. Something that you could realistically wring out and enjoy. Looking at the Tesla forums, people are estimating that if you're going at full tilt the Roadster's batteries will last around 15 minutes. EVs that can capably go to a track day and do multiple sessions is a long way off. Though maybe I'm being pessimistic and it'll be here sooner than we think.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Yeah, good call. I was speaking from a motorsports spectating PoV.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So if hybrids make a manufacture turn their backs on enthusiasts does that mean McLaren sells Prius equivalents? What about Porsche?

Ziploc posted:

Same but our days are numbered even without electrics, computers are better than us. With automobile manufacturing being a pure numbers game, well, let's hope manufactures keep manual enthusiasts around for a while.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KakerMix posted:

Same but our days are numbered even without electrics, computers are better than us.

Computers are potentially better than us. There are some great automatics out there but most still range from poo poo to mediocre.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neptr posted:

I think there's going to be a long time before we can have an enthusiasts' EV. Something that you could realistically wring out and enjoy. Looking at the Tesla forums, people are estimating that if you're going at full tilt the Roadster's batteries will last around 15 minutes. EVs that can capably go to a track day and do multiple sessions is a long way off. Though maybe I'm being pessimistic and it'll be here sooner than we think.

Induction charging built into public roads is a very, very, very long way off, but I could see it happening on a specialty track in the coming decade or two. That could potentially allow for pitting only being required to swap tires.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Neptr posted:

No you're probably right, battery technology is in general slow to develop and there's not much on the horizon in terms of R&D.

On the other hand, trikes and ultralights are promising and a growing market.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mange Mite posted:

No you're probably right, battery technology is in general slow to develop and there's not much on the horizon in terms of R&D.

What?

Battery technology is probably the hardware field with the most R&D behind it right now, and the past decade has seen an astronomical increase in energy densities as a result.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

So if hybrids make a manufacture turn their backs on enthusiasts does that mean McLaren sells Prius equivalents? What about Porsche?

It's honestly not that silly a claim. Both hybrids and sporty special editions/dedicated sports cars in normal car compa ies are usually expensive and typically unprofitable engineering exercises used primarily for publicity and brand building purposes. Spending on one, especially recently when finances are poor, often comes at the cost of the other. You definitely see this in GM, magnified by political/pr concerns and to a lesser extent in Toyota and Honda.

This is also why mfrs often try to double-dip with hybrid sports concepts (that rarely get made due to the split appeal and expense)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eyebeem posted:

What?

Battery technology is probably the hardware field with the most R&D behind it right now, and the past decade has seen an astronomical increase in energy densities as a result.

There's a lot of spending but not much in the near future prototype stage. And no power density in general hasn't seen anything close to "astronomical" gains compared to most technology, the fact that battery technology is almost always outpaced by advances in other tech is a pretty common complaint by engineers.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

GM invested huge resources in the Volt while at the same time bringing the Camaro back, designing a new Vette, and turning Cadillac into a legit BMW fighter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

KakerMix posted:

Hey now that's not fair.

Legit good car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

It might be. I see a lot of ads for guys with the platinum/titanium poo poo on the F350s wanting to swap tailgates with base model trucks, and those are fuckin understated compared to the dodge thing

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-auto-body-parts/fort-mcmurray/super-duty-tailgate-ruby-red/1048865098?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

To be fair, it's not like Ford covering a tailgate in aluminum is a new thing.

I wanted to put a plain tailgate on my Lariat bricknose but I couldn't find one in the same color so I just pulled the insert and ignored the holes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

GM invested huge resources in the Volt while at the same time bringing the Camaro back, designing a new Vette, and turning Cadillac into a legit BMW fighter.

Actually they pretty much disbanded their performance vehicle operations for a while during the bankruptcy except for stuff already too far in the pipeline/famous to cancel, and still haven't restored them fully.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

eyebeem posted:

What?

What? Energy density has barely doubled since the early 90s. That's not really an astronomical increase in any way, quite the opposite. The price ($/Wh) is dropping rapidly though. Unfortionately, as long as the Wh/kg isn't dropping fast, EVs will only get heavier...

EDIT: Energy density on battery technology in use, today, for a reasonable price. Experimental tech still years out doesn't really count.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 13, 2015

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

PeterWeller posted:

Cadillac is not yet a legit BMW fighter, and it looks like things will get worse before it gets better. Their tech suite is slow and prone to glitches and selling tech is where the margins are nowadays. Their cars aren't selling and they can't keep up with demand on SUVs -- not the worst problem but it's lost sales. They just slipped behind Audi to #5 luxury marquee. Now the ATS-V is going to debut, but with the higher price tag the lagging tech package will become that much more of an issue.

With all the model debuts/refreshes out, they need to focus on their tech before they can really take on BMW/MB.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If it can't be fixed with a wrench, a hammer and some lube then what good is it? :corsair:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wheeee posted:

Computers are potentially better than us. There are some great automatics out there but most still range from poo poo to mediocre.

Yeah but autos can be better, so in the future they will all be better. Better doesn't mean more fun or more engaging (or cheaper) but it does mean, on paper, better. Better gas mileage, smoother shifting, higher performance and faster shifts. I won't give up on 3 pedals till I can't get a car with them, my knees give out or I drive a pure electric, but I can't deny that the reason to build a manual transmission car is purely because someone like us works at companies like Ford.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Legit good car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nodoze posted:

What makes this the best era

poo poo is fast, safe, good on gas, reliable and your price/performance ratio is off the charts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo is fast, safe, good on gas, reliable and your price/performance ratio is off the charts.

power:weight is blowing out a bit though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Laserface posted:

power:weight is blowing out a bit though.

I'm not convinced. I haven't run numbers, but I don't think that power to weight is worse than in the past.

I also think that power to weight is going to get better over the next ten years.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not convinced. I haven't run numbers, but I don't think that power to weight is worse than in the past.

I also think that power to weight is going to get better over the next ten years.

I don't really know that cars are going to stop getting fat and heavy though

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nodoze posted:

I don't really know that cars are going to stop getting fat and heavy though

The rate of weight gain seems to have leveled off a bit, and materials science is still improving. Obviously manufacturers have been promising affordable composites for a while now so I wouldn't hold my breath, but there's some interesting stuff these days with new forming processes that are supposed to make aluminum and high-strength steel cheaper and stronger.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Also awesome and cool.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pedestrian safety standards and the whole 'must be able to support the weight of the vehicle when on the roof' thing are killing light/small cars.

I mean if your car ends up on the roof its probably not the fault of the car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Laserface posted:

I mean if your car ends up on the roof its probably not the fault of the car.

Still doesn't mean it should kill you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Laserface posted:

Pedestrian safety standards and the whole 'must be able to support the weight of the vehicle when on the roof' thing are killing light/small cars.

If a Mitsubishi Mirage or a Chevrolet Sparrk can pass the roof strength test with a 'Good' rating then I don't see why it should be an issue for small cars.

If anything it seems heavy vehicles like truck based SUVs would have a lot more of an issue with that.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

holy poo poo we are living in the greatest car era ever, by far, and you guys are busy pissing in each other's cheerios as to whether some stupid Japanese econobox from either 2006 or 1986 is actually an enthusiast car or not.

this is why we don't deserve nice things.

Weren't you the poster that was talking about how much you were going to enjoy people gnashing their teeth if the new Focus RS was FWD?

I would like to ceremoniously pee pee in your cheerios good sir! :yum:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Still doesn't mean it should kill you.

Ehhhhh.....

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah but autos can be better, so in the future they will all be better.

This is arguable, when you have companies like Chrysler buying a known decent transmission from a third party, not licensing the programming for it, and making their own jerky, terrible map for it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

Ehhhhh.....

Friend of mine was rear-ended in a RAV/4 so hard the car flipped; she was stopped at the time. Not all rollovers are the driver's fault.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

everything weighs ten thousand pounds and makes four hundred hp

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Friend of mine was rear-ended in a RAV/4 so hard the car flipped; she was stopped at the time. Not all rollovers are the driver's fault.

Well there's your problem right there.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Raluek posted:

This is arguable, when you have companies like Chrysler buying a known decent transmission from a third party, not licensing the programming for it, and making their own jerky, terrible map for it.

Luckily no one ever has been forced to buy a chrysler then.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

Am I the last person who enjoys cranking rock music when they drive fast but is also polite enough to not bother residential areas with my corsa exhaust over 2k rpm at night? Seems like a fast EV would allow for both just fine.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Seems like that's more of an SUV problem you'd see coming. SUV's should have to be built to withstand rollovers, but at the same time SUV's are hardly what's making this the golden age of cars anyway.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I almost had this happen to me once while stopped at a red light a few years ago, some drunk was barreling along at 40mph and clearly not slowing down behind me. I noticed it in the rear view and gunned it off to the right up on a sidewalk from the right lane, and he winged another car in the left lane and stopped after taking out a bunch of bushes instead. Keep checking that rear view!

This has always been my complaint with self driving cars, until the software can look at the car coming up behind you, tell that it is going way too fast, then make the decision to get the car out of the way by flooring it to hop the curb and get up on the sidewalk (assuming no pedestrians obviously) then it's not safer than me. I don't care about little fender benders or whatever the software is 10 million times better than humans at avoiding, I want it to be smart enough to get me the hell out of situations like that where poo poo can go really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Mange Mite posted:

The rate of weight gain seems to have leveled off a bit, and materials science is still improving. Obviously manufacturers have been promising affordable composites for a while now so I wouldn't hold my breath, but there's some interesting stuff these days with new forming processes that are supposed to make aluminum and high-strength steel cheaper and stronger.

Still a bummer reading all the new model press releases harping on about incorporating lighter materials, how the new fancy frame is X pounds lighter than the outgoing and so on, with the final curb weight still coming in 300 lbs over the previous model. At least we're finally seeing more than 4-speeds in automatics and direct injection/variable valve voodoo trickling down to everything mitigating some of the bloat. The trend will probably continue until we stop seeing several hundred pounds of wiring and "convenience" features crammed into everything, wireless sensor links can't come soon enough.