Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

axelsoar posted:

I know they come to me, I was just confused by what he meant. 5 wins to 1 loss so far, the last guy thought he was safe in Havel's gear.

Welp, wear protection rings and you're good to go then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

axelsoar posted:

I know they come to me, I was just confused by what he meant. 5 wins to 1 loss so far, the last guy thought he was safe in Havel's gear.

If you really wanna have fun, use Ascetics on the first bonfire at least. You'll be swimming in lockstones and souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kaldaris posted:

HOW TO GET RID OF ALL YOUR SIN FOR FREE:

1) Spend all your souls.
2) Go to Undead Crypt and beyond.
3) Go AFK for 7 hours.

Nope, can't be invaded by blues when you're sub 10.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

neetengie posted:

If you really wanna have fun, use Ascetics on the first bonfire at least. You'll be swimming in lockstones and souls.

That is horrifically cruel.

I love it

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I'm disappointed that every single ratbro I've fought has just camped out at the spawn in point and gone for the cheap kill.

Setting yourself up as the area's miniboss right in front of the bonfire/exit point is so much more fun. :getin:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I saw all the messages in front of Navlaan's switch and I still released him (without knowing what I was doing) because my first reaction upon seeing a bunch of messages saying "Don't you dare!" is "Pssh, yeah right, game, you're just trying to keep me away from treasure, I'll pull whatever I drat well please. :smuggo:"

That guy just kept showing up in so many places afterwards.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I saw all the messages in front of Navlaan's switch and I still released him (without knowing what I was doing) because my first reaction upon seeing a bunch of messages saying "Don't you dare!" is "Pssh, yeah right, game, you're just trying to keep me away from treasure, I'll pull whatever I drat well please. :smuggo:"

Ah yes, the "falling for the La Mulana hard mode tablet double-bluff" problem. Curiosity and greed.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yep. Wouldn't be the first time there'd been a troll dev message, and like hell was I falling for it! Speaking of dev messages, are there any that show up with Seek Guidance in this one?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I released Navlaan and honestly didn't even mind him that much. His spells are elaborate, but not really that hard to dodge, and between the fact that I was typically either dual wielding swords that could easily stunlock him or two handing a sword that could cut him up with a few swings when I could close in, combined with a bow and pyromancy to pester him from afar, and he really wasn't so bad. He got to be more of a running gag than a threat. "Ah, man, finally beat the giant lor-Oh goddammit Navlaan, I've got somewhere to be!:argh:"

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I released Navlaan and honestly didn't even mind him that much. His spells are elaborate, but not really that hard to dodge, and between the fact that I was typically either dual wielding swords that could easily stunlock him or two handing a sword that could cut him up with a few swings when I could close in, combined with a bow and pyromancy to pester him from afar, and he really wasn't so bad. He got to be more of a running gag than a threat. "Ah, man, finally beat the giant lor-Oh goddammit Navlaan, I've got somewhere to be!:argh:"
But bruh you missed out on Forbidden Sun, Unleash Magic and Lightning Greatarrows! Along with other cool stuff.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Guys, I... I might not get any further in Dark Souls. I might just stay here forever and fight gray phantoms, this is the absolute loving best. What makes people think they can drink estus 5 feet away from you? Your 2 zweihanders will not save you my friend.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
While you are reading this thread, I am RINGING YOUR BELLS.

Go ahead, make a post! RING RING RING

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

neetengie posted:

But bruh you missed out on Forbidden Sun, Unleash Magic and Lightning Greatarrows! Along with other cool stuff.
You can still buy his vendor things if you free him. You just have to be hollow. But, yeah, you do miss out on those two unique spells.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

^^^ Ah, okay then, I thought he disappeared from his spot so he could invade without repercussion.

axelsoar posted:

Guys, I... I might not get any further in Dark Souls. I might just stay here forever and fight gray phantoms, this is the absolute loving best. What makes people think they can drink estus 5 feet away from you? Your 2 zweihanders will not save you my friend.
Remember that progressing further gives you new toys to torture the grey phantoms.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

axelsoar posted:

Let me ruin your fun by saying, if this is ratbros - they lose nothing upon death.
You do more to them if you waste their time for the 10 minute limit than if you kill them within seconds.

What a casual-friendly game Dark Souls II is compared to the original.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm really bad at PvP, but switching to the MLGS with an illusory ring and surprise blasting someone at close range is very satisfying.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

The Gorp posted:

Let me ruin your fun by saying, if this is ratbros - they lose nothing upon death.
You do more to them if you waste their time for the 10 minute limit than if you kill them within seconds.

What a casual-friendly game Dark Souls II is compared to the original.

I don't care if they lose anything, It is fun to wreck people in PVP.

And also many of my matches are spent just out of arms reach spamming the "HELLO" stone while sneaking in a praise the sun every now and then.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The Gorp posted:

How is this even possible? If a ratbro summons me and doesn't come at me I'll just run to the fog gate and take my free lockstone.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Ah well then enjoy.
I online play just to ruin other player lives, so I spend most of my time as a sunbro.

Block the NPC from entering the fog gate, laugh as the host dies to the smelter demon.
Walk in. Praise the sun.

Edit:
Crabtank- Most people just stay at the beginning too afraid of fighting over the rats. You are part of a very enlightened few.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 24, 2014

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Azzents posted:

Better hope you don't run into me. I'll burn through that stack in no time flat! :chef:

Yeah if your INT/FTH is high enough, you can pretty much instantly poison someone with a single cast of Dark Fog.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I like to come down and fight at the start and if they safely pick off the enemies, I then slowly back my way to the poison rats, dropping hello stones all the way.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Bat staff +10 does instantly poison off that spell, even with it simpleton/skeptic spiced down to the bones.
For all the complaints on PvP I'm surprised that doesn't come up more.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Joined the rat covenant and figured "what the hell, I'll cast Chameleon by the entrance". I'm in NG+, nobody would fall for it, right? I turn into a torch sconce and he walks right past me. So I start to tail him. Twice he stops to look around and I stop moving and it fools him, like it's from some sort of cartoon. Then once the rats come, he has his back exposed and I insert the dagger. Of course I make sure to run up to him as a sconce before the reveal.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

The Gorp posted:

Bat staff +10 does instantly poison off that spell, even with it simpleton/skeptic spiced down to the bones.

A lot of people that pull that are really easily bumrushed, especially if they don't have weapon enchantments up because that's the first move they try to pull.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Does anyone else here like the Dragon Remnants covenant? I think it's pretty neat, and I usually get good matches a lot. There is that occasional summon by someone looking for an easy kill, which is disappointing but breaking all their poo poo is a good feeling, even if I die afterwards. Probably one of my favorite moments was when the host and I were on low health, and while I'm doing a running attack with the Washing Pole he does the R2 for the Zweihander, we hit each other at the same time, he dies, and I live off of 4 HP :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

The Gorp posted:

Upgrading the bat staff does nothing to boost dark fog.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn posted:

A lot of people that pull that are really easily bumrushed, especially if they don't have weapon enchantments up because that's the first move they try to pull.

This is basically why the bat staff isn't that big of an issue. It murders anyone who isnt prepared for it but anyone who knows it's coming know how to deal with it. In a duel people will bumrush the caster or just dodge foward to avoid the smoke.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

Joined the rat covenant and figured "what the hell, I'll cast Chameleon by the entrance". I'm in NG+, nobody would fall for it, right? I turn into a torch sconce and he walks right past me. So I start to tail him. Twice he stops to look around and I stop moving and it fools him, like it's from some sort of cartoon. Then once the rats come, he has his back exposed and I insert the dagger. Of course I make sure to run up to him as a sconce before the reveal.

it's amazing how unobservant people are. you'd think they'd notice these sconces and barrels that weren't there at any point beforehand.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

neetengie posted:

Does anyone else here like the Dragon Remnants covenant? I think it's pretty neat, and I usually get good matches a lot. There is that occasional summon by someone looking for an easy kill, which is disappointing but breaking all their poo poo is a good feeling, even if I die afterwards. Probably one of my favorite moments was when the host and I were on low health, and while I'm doing a running attack with the Washing Pole he does the R2 for the Zweihander, we hit each other at the same time, he dies, and I live off of 4 HP :v:

I liked it a lot during my time with it, but once you get 30 scales it's pretty much over and done with. It seems like it could've done with incentives to stick with it/put down your summon sign anywhere but the iron keep bridge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Araganzar posted:

While you are reading this thread, I am RINGING YOUR BELLS.

Go ahead, make a post! RING RING RING

Game what are you doing let me at him already!

BELLS :byodood:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 24, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

I liked it a lot during my time with it, but once you get 30 scales it's pretty much over and done with. It seems like it could've done with incentives to stick with it/put down your summon sign anywhere but the iron keep bridge.
I mostly PvPed in the Servants Quarters area of the Lost Bastille, I like it a bit more. Sucks when the host is down near the entryway of Belfry Luna waiting for an easy kill - always fall for it though because I don't want to get timed out. :(
I still haven't reached the 3rd rank on a single character though, usually because it is late in the game and I kinda wanna move onto the next playthrough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Got summoned at demon of song, host decides he wants a 3rd phantom and runs back to the bonfire, summons someone then dies instantly getting back into the water where its a fall :ughh:

At least Climax does around 2k damage for me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did you know one of the crossbowmen in the saltfort can fire twice before reloading? I didn't. RIP me.

e: If you jump off the bridge at Belfry Luna you occasionally get flung into the skybox. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 24, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

kater posted:

So I'm in my first play through and decided to go Dex melee because Dex was awesome in DS1, and uh... do Dex weapons even exist? I just killed the Iron King and have been using the Fire Broadsword and Heide Sword pretty much exclusively. I've got 30 points in Dex and I don't think they are doing a drat thing.

There are a lot of late game dex weapons, early on though unless you were ignoring/killing NPCs you probably should have unlocked Leningrast's house up, he sells Falchions and Rapiers, the former of which is extremely good. Even if they don't float your boat they are an option that you can use until you do get something you have a good feel for.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: If you jump off the bridge at Belfry Luna you occasionally get flung into the skybox. :v:

I have actually had this happen when I fell off because I am an idiot, and then noticed the camera just going nuts as I flew into the sky. drat trampoline traps, making you think you're safe but then you're in outer space.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 24, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Another thing to consider is that scaling is basically pretty poo poo, especially early on. Upgrading weapons is usually a much better investment in terms of souls spent, even when you factor in titanite costs. You're probably better off just making sure you have the prerequisite to equip what you want and then upgrading that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nftyw posted:

I have actually had this happen when I fell off because I am an idiot, and then noticed the camera just going nuts as I flew into the sky. drat trampoline traps, making you think you're safe but then you're in outer space.

I also just learned there is a two second delay between entering the belfry and the game rendering other players' models, so don't apply a buff right away or a guy with a giant hammer will squish you. The belfries are fun. I seem to see Luna more than Sol but that's okay because Luna's better. :v:

e: I just made everything in the saltfort extinct and no royal sword to show for it. A lot of common fruit though. And a couple deaths because their bolts can ignore your shield whenever they want.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 24, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

kater posted:

So I'm in my first play through and decided to go Dex melee because Dex was awesome in DS1, and uh... do Dex weapons even exist? I just killed the Iron King and have been using the Fire Broadsword and Heide Sword pretty much exclusively. I've got 30 points in Dex and I don't think they are doing a drat thing.

By the time you reach OIK you should have access to a good chunk of decent Dex weapons; there's the Blacksteel Katana the Alonne Knights in Iron Keep drop, for one thing, but you should also have a selection of curved swords (the scimitar, falchion, and since you'll probably have Straid unlocked by this point, the Warped Sword), daggers if you're into that, rapiers (Ricard's Rapier is in Huntsman's Copse), spears, and if you want something weird the Great Scythe you can buy from Titchy scales primarily with Dex too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Curved Dragon Greatsword is also a powerful/fun DEX weapon but it's not obtainable until near the end of the game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Nice. Was he throwing Dung at them too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nah, that guy just dual wields Large Clubs and Resonant Weapons one.