Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
we use lync for im and screen sharing and i am about to push to deploy video conferencing around it. Yep, i'm THAT IT manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

adorai posted:

we use lync for im and screen sharing and i am about to push to deploy video conferencing around it. Yep, i'm THAT IT manager.

I always forget Lync does voice stuff, too.

Honestly if you already have it I would prefer to have everything on one program. Right now my company is a mix of Skype, Hangouts, Slack, and now another program that has buy-in from the C level for video/voice stuff.

I'm going to try to get rid of Skype once we're done rolling it out because gently caress Skype it's a poo poo rear end program.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Skype/Skype for Business does chat, screen sharing and potentially hooks up to your existing PBX?

Which is cool but the program itself leaves a lot to be desired.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, but does Skype for Business do custom emoticons???

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

anthonypants posted:

Nope. :(

Did anyone ever work for ATT?

I thought it was an internal program but it shows on up Google but Q Instant Messenger was neat? Being easily able to throw down pre-formatted text to troubleshoot whatever ancient unix system was excellent.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Sametime supremacy

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

stubblyhead posted:

Sametime supremacy

Come on man. This is a safe space. :nsfw: that poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lync Skype for Business is good and cool.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

anthonypants posted:

No :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

anthonypants posted:

This actually killed me after using Sametime for a decade. No more inlining 3MB gifs 😢

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We currently use Lync for IM and that's it. Just got Cisco Webex and will be migrating to Jabber. I know jack about Jabber.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

GreenNight posted:

We currently use Lync for IM and that's it. Just got Cisco Webex and will be migrating to Jabber. I know jack about Jabber.

Jabber allows custom emotes.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

We use PureCloud Collaborate. Been good to us so far but it is definitely playing feature catchup to some of the other competitors.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

rafikki posted:

Jabber allows custom emotes.

But you have to manually install them on every client.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

nielsm posted:

But you have to manually install them on every client.

Oddly enough, that wasn't the case at the last job I had. Definitely the case on the Eve goon jabber though. Dunno if it was some server setting, put custom emotes got pushed to the other person's client if they didn't already have it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Can anybody link a good resource that explains the OSI model in relation to the Citrix stack? We're doing some internal training for CCNA certs and my boss has asked my coworker and I to prepare for an OSI discussion next Wednesday.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

rafikki posted:

Oddly enough, that wasn't the case at the last job I had. Definitely the case on the Eve goon jabber though. Dunno if it was some server setting, put custom emotes got pushed to the other person's client if they didn't already have it.

I didn't know Jabber had a central server management console, and I'm fairly certain it doesn't?

We're upgrading from Presence to Jabber soon so a couple of us are on Jabber now to test it. As far as I can tell it's a decentralized client and yes, custom emotes need to be installed on every client manually. If there's a way to centrally manage it (and get the annoying profile pictures to work) send me a link.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I didn't know Jabber had a central server management console, and I'm fairly certain it doesn't?

We're upgrading from Presence to Jabber soon so a couple of us are on Jabber now to test it. As far as I can tell it's a decentralized client and yes, custom emotes need to be installed on every client manually. If there's a way to centrally manage it (and get the annoying profile pictures to work) send me a link.

I've never configured Jabber so I have no idea how it works, I just know that at the NOC I worked at, when I added a custom smiley to my client, other people could see it and vice versa.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I know what I will be reading tonight

https://www.amazon.com/Conquered-Clippy-Erotic-Digital-Desires-ebook/dp/B00UJ01WBW

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

I like the author's bio.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would a disabled Exchange account give a bounceback message, or would it go into the mailbox, never to be seen? I emailed my old supervisor a few days ago because she had asked me to do so once I found a new job, and I haven't heard back. I know she was trying to get out after I left, so I'm not sure if she's still there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would a disabled Exchange account give a bounceback message, or would it go into the mailbox, never to be seen? I emailed my old supervisor a few days ago because she had asked me to do so once I found a new job, and I haven't heard back. I know she was trying to get out after I left, so I'm not sure if she's still there.

If its just disabled the message will go through and you wont get a bounceback.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It depends on how Exchange is set up.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

:raise: Sure. Sharp pointy metal seduces any woman. Just ask any woman about speculums and wooden swabs and see how they run, lustily, away.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The company I work for wants to go forward with purchasing .INSURANCE domains. Five of them that we will never use.

Cost will be roughly $5000 per year.

:negative:

Spring Heeled Jack fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 27, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
No you can't have $20 to buy a new mouse to replace the one with a broken button that you're using now! And would you hurry up and buy those .INSURANCE domains!?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
But what if some competitor buys JohnsonFamilyInsurance.Insurance and somebody accidentally goes there instead of johnsonfamilyinsurance.com?!? We could be financially RUINED!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
$5000 for some domain names? Oh please, not a chance.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But what if some competitor buys JohnsonFamilyInsurance.Insurance and somebody accidentally goes there instead of johnsonfamilyinsurance.com?!? We could be financially RUINED!

To buy one you have to have a registered trademark on the company name, go through a trademark verification progress (AKA pay them $800) and then ultimately the domain name you buy has to be explicitly related to the company name. So at least someone wouldn't be able to snatch ours up and have it point to lemonparty or something.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

DigitalMocking posted:

Lync already has the basic functionality of slack with persistent chat rooms.... just why?

We ditched o365 hosted lync because it was so unreliable. You'd send messages to people online that you would see at their desk staring at lync and it would tell me it couldn't send the message.

Slack just works and it integrates with a bunch of other stuff. We use the poo poo out of pinned items, pasting code in it, screenshots, inviting in 3rd party folks to specific rooms and just keeping up to date with everything going on.

I've also imported key SA emoticons.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If you have slack, just sign out of lync.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I gotta say I'm really hating lync, I don't know if it's just our lync deployers suck or what but there are so many issues, like randomly it won't let you copy from chats unless you write something first, trying to select multiple lines of text is somehow nearly impossible, if you have multiple chats open at the same time it will occasionally jump between them randomly so the wrong chat gets half a message etc.
Then there's also how even when you log in it will still show you as offline for some people or it will let you join chats and it looks like you're actually sending messages but no one else gets those messages.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

teamdest posted:

Solved OR ESCALATED. Half a day of a new tech playing whack a mole is two seconds for me to say "oh it SAYS ssl connection failed but it really means it failed GSSAPI negotiation because that server changed authentication backends" and then tell them to do a Kinit to a different realm or whatever.

T1 spending a long time on a ticket should be an exception, not a rule. It's worse for everyone: the tech will be frustrated when fix after fix fails and even more so when the T2 or T3 makes it look easy because of their larger knowledge base; the user will have a ton of time wasted for no reason; and the T3 might have to work harder to undo whatever changes the T1 did trying to diagnose it.

I'm not trying to say "stick to the script like a good little monkey", there's nothing wrong with T1 applying their knowledge and some googling and testing a couple things, but if there's no resolution in sight, kick it up the escalation chain. That's why the stratification exists: to solve problems efficiently.

You clearly work with more skilled and helpful people than I do, to be sure. Although I'm not sure if your T1 equates to call center or equates to on site support. I'm the latter for now.

Example: Our VMs are constantly locking doctors out (imagine having 200 VIPs instead of like 15). The only guy they felt like training on our team can't really do anything about it, he escalates, they just tell us to reset the VMs because hey that works and I the server guy don't have to get paged at all hours because of it. It took one of the trainers kicking up dust for them to take problem seriously. The EMR they use is also, constantly making GBS threads the bed. Citrix servers just become useless, they just tell us to lock out the server until everyone on it is gone and reset it. Again, had to wait for someone who's not us to start static in order for someone to care. One application guy loved to tell us to reimage machines over the most minor errors.

There's also often not a escalation chain further than us. We either have to work with the vendors or find a workaround/fix ourselves.

I'm not arguing though, your way is definitely the correct way. Just pointing out that some places are... what's the opposite of dysfunctional?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

skooma512 posted:

what's the opposite of dysfunctional?

"Still dysfunctional just better at concealing it".

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

organburner posted:

I gotta say I'm really hating lync, I don't know if it's just our lync deployers suck or what but there are so many issues, like randomly it won't let you copy from chats unless you write something first, trying to select multiple lines of text is somehow nearly impossible, if you have multiple chats open at the same time it will occasionally jump between them randomly so the wrong chat gets half a message etc.
Then there's also how even when you log in it will still show you as offline for some people or it will let you join chats and it looks like you're actually sending messages but no one else gets those messages.

I, too, have all of those issues except the randomly jumping between chats. It frustrates me on a nearly daily basis. Also, I use WizMouse http://antibody-software.com/web/software/software/wizmouse-makes-your-mouse-wheel-work-on-the-window-under-the-mouse/ so I can mouse scroll windows that aren't focused and that completely breaks mouse scroll in Lync.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

One application guy loved to tell us to reimage machines over the most minor errors.

In my case it's the Engineering BU for one of the products we make.

We'll be balls deep in a POC or test deployment of a system we designed for a customer, when it breaks in a consistent and repeatable manner. We get engineering involved and we're inevitably told, it's a "known issue" and we'll need to "work around" the issue. They have no time to fix it because they're all focused on getting the next version out the door. Even though this design *relies* on the broken feature. Even though it's specifically listed in the spec sheets (released by engineering) as being a thing this product can do. Then we find out they only gave QA a couple weeks to test because they were missing deadlines. Inevitably it gets escalated to Sr. Management and engineering is forced to release a hotfix. And that's not even counting point releases that hilariously break prior functionality. It's like no one over there knows what regression testing is.

This will happen reliably every 8 months or so. And every time they complain that we're adversarial and don't act like we're all part of a team. gently caress you, Engineering group.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

rafikki posted:

I, too, have all of those issues except the randomly jumping between chats. It frustrates me on a nearly daily basis. Also, I use WizMouse http://antibody-software.com/web/software/software/wizmouse-makes-your-mouse-wheel-work-on-the-window-under-the-mouse/ so I can mouse scroll windows that aren't focused and that completely breaks mouse scroll in Lync.

Windows 10 does this natively (scroll windows that don't have focus under the mouse), which means no WizMouse needed so Lync will actually scroll again! This may not help you though, if you aren't using Windows 10.

Copy/paste doesn't work basically at all in Lync, it's terrible.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

1000101 posted:

We ditched o365 hosted lync because it was so unreliable. You'd send messages to people online that you would see at their desk staring at lync and it would tell me it couldn't send the message.

Slack just works and it integrates with a bunch of other stuff. We use the poo poo out of pinned items, pasting code in it, screenshots, inviting in 3rd party folks to specific rooms and just keeping up to date with everything going on.

I've also imported key SA emoticons.

o365 lync is a loving mess right now. Half the functionality doesn't work, response groups, ivr, hunt groups, all poo poo right now.

We're on prem, and persistent chat works well. would be nice to have SA icons tho.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

myron cope posted:

Windows 10 does this natively (scroll windows that don't have focus under the mouse), which means no WizMouse needed so Lync will actually scroll again! This may not help you though, if you aren't using Windows 10.

Copy/paste doesn't work basically at all in Lync, it's terrible.

Yeah, we're Win 7 and I have no idea if/when we're going to 10. Also confirming that c/p in Lync is an abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Skype for Business has been atrocious for us. Sometimes it just doesn't receive messages because :shrug:, but the best bug we've found is that it straight-up wouldn't open if someone else was already logged in on their own account when you'd switched Windows user to another profile.