Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Battletech never made it huge. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Slayerjerman posted:

Mo

Money. I'm a developer and have/know the resources to make a better mech game. But I can't find the moneys to do that, so I end up working for others and playing this mess :-(

Well yeah, when the only other professional mech game out there is MW:O I can see how investors might be wary about financing another mech game. Without digging into the history of PGI:s extreme incompetence it must look like mech games just aren't popular.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Artificer posted:

Battletech never made it huge. :(

But it also made it big enough to squeeze out the market for other stompy robot games.

It's a niche market to be sure, but there are a LOT of 30 something nerds (well, a lot in the scale of people who have opinions about robot games) with tons of BT nostalgia, whether it's from table top or MW2. Trying for a completely different thing just isn't going to draw that easy BT audience.

I mean, gently caress, I'm guilty of that. I'm mostly in this because a huge chunk of middle school was spent rolling dice to shoot at my best friend's Warhammer. The game play is fun enough, but I'm just a sucker for that whole run-down, Mechwarrior mercenary thing.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Part of it is advertising. :pgi: is amazingly stupid and can't drive a marketing campaign anywhere but, into the ground. Another part is that :pgi: killed all of the good will they had by being terrible and making half-assed attempts to change that perception. I think they also figured that there is so little on the market they can get by charging a premium for slacking off.

So basically staggering incompetence, greed and laziness. You could argue that malice should be added to that list but, I don't think the cnidarian intelligence they have running that company could figure it out.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Also, coming into this game as a solo player must be hell, there is no good description of all the stuff you need to understand to be somewhat competent at the game. And the grind is real, and without any guidance you will probably waste your meager winnings on bad mechs and bad weapons. I would have dropped this game a long time ago if there didn't used to be lots of people from here to play with.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

I do not understand why MW:O is the only mech game, how come there aren't other big games where you pilot a mech and shoot big guns? The only other mech games I know about are those horrible Japanese anime mech games and they stink.

Remember Chromehounds? Check out M.A.V. I have it and it's not bad. I reinstall it every so often to check its progress and it's always been fun and held together with a core community.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Skoll posted:

Remember Chromehounds? Check out M.A.V. I have it and it's not bad. I reinstall it every so often to check its progress and it's always been fun and held together with a core community.

Quadlegged mechs? Sold.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
A good armored core game for PC would be welcome.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

A good armored core game for PC would be welcome.

I always heard good things about those games.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Armored core is amazing, and there's been rumours of a new one coming. Hopefully it'll be real.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

People said the same thing about XCOM:EU, it turned into one of the biggest selling games of the year and so did it's sequel. Nobody makes RTS games anymore because the genre is 'dead' but the real reason is nobody is willing to take the risk AND put in the dedication and time to do something new.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Slayerjerman posted:

Mo

Money. I'm a developer and have/know the resources to make a better mech game. But I can't find the moneys to do that, so I end up working for others and playing this mess :-(

Sounds like we need to find a marketing goon and launch a crowd funding attempt. "MechWarrior game from not :pgi:!" Should be an easy sell.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So has anyone taken the name Kellyanne Kerensky and gone to spread Alternative Facts about the clans yet?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

The Repo Man posted:

So has anyone taken the name Kellyanne Kerensky and gone to spread Alternative Facts about the clans yet?

they all go by *some "badass" name* Kerensky on MWO afaik and bitch if you don't play their baby lrm game

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

they all go by *some "badass" name* Kerensky on MWO afaik and bitch if you don't play their baby lrm game

I was referring to the legion of Kerensky goons. We've got tons and tons of Kerensky alts sitting around.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I gotcha I was just kinda making a really lovely joke about the grogs with their alt facts about lrms and poo poo SORRY :(

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

I gotcha I was just kinda making a really lovely joke about the grogs with their alt facts about lrms and poo poo SORRY :(

Nah, I got it! You actually aren't wrong, there are some super insufferable Kerensky''s out there.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I do need to rename Trump Palin Kerensky, but I don't want to give PGI money.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Azuth0667 posted:

Sounds like we need to find a marketing goon and launch a crowd funding attempt. "MechWarrior game from not :pgi:!" Should be an easy sell.

I thought the same thing. Sadly a lot of what makes MWO viable is the nostalgia factor they have with the licensing.

It's one thing to pilot a recognized battlemech and another to pilot some other 'big rear end robot' that's a lookalike at best.

Also funny thing about finding funds, you need money to go look for money. In this case funds to spend on a funding campaign, which is the current paradox

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Real playerstats from the MW:O leaderboards instead from Steam charts: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/5ud26k/actual_player_numbers/
Looks like there is a shitload of players using the stand alone client. Honestly it doesn't look that bad, ~15,000 players played more than 100 games in January. Average of ~105 games per month per player, that's quite a lot.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TjyvTompa posted:

Real playerstats from the MW:O leaderboards instead from Steam charts: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/5ud26k/actual_player_numbers/
Looks like there is a shitload of players using the stand alone client. Honestly it doesn't look that bad, ~15,000 players played more than 100 games in January. Average of ~105 games per month per player, that's quite a lot.

a lot more than I would have expected TBH

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

That's 15k total not concurrent players. It also shows they actually lost 1/3 of their players in the last 6 months which means it could be on track with what steam said for the year.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't PGI pull the "If you logged in within the last year, we count you as a concurrent player" card? I'm pretty sure someone caught them in that before.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Azuth0667 posted:

That's 15k total not concurrent players. It also shows they actually lost 1/3 of their players in the last 6 months which means it could be on track with what steam said for the year.

Of course it's not concurrent, it says right there, Active Players. And where do you get the 1/3rd number, you going all Sean Spicer on our asses? Active Players per month went from ~43,000 to ~38,000.

Skoll posted:

Doesn't PGI pull the "If you logged in within the last year, we count you as a concurrent player" card? I'm pretty sure someone caught them in that before.
It uses the leaderboard data. Previously PGI scrubbed everyone who played less than 10 games a month from the leaderboard but they stopped doing it but to make the numbers match the guy removed them manually from this "report".

Who cares anyway, here's a link where you can see people tell Russ he sucks and his ideas are bad, live: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%40russ_bullock&src=typd

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Of course it's not concurrent, it says right there, Active Players. And where do you get the 1/3rd number, you going all Sean Spicer on our asses? Active Players per month went from ~43,000 to ~38,000.

Who cares anyway, here's a link where you can see people tell Russ he sucks and his ideas are bad, live: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%40russ_bullock&src=typd

I should go spicy on you cause you're a :pgi: apologist but, I'll refrain for now. Would you like me to put it in pretty graphs so you can understand it?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Azuth0667 posted:

I should go spicy on you cause you're a :pgi: apologist but, I'll refrain for now. Would you like me to put it in pretty graphs so you can understand it?

I'm not a PGI apologist at all, not sure where you get that from. PGI sucks, Russ and Paul are idiots. But I do like to stomp around in my mech and press buttons to make poo poo explode.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Who gives gently caress about numbers, what kind of awful nerds are you?

The only real metric that matters is whether the player base is large enough to quickly and effectively create balanced teams.

Based on how badly I've seen the matchmaker making GBS threads itself and making me wait multiple minutes for a match in goddamned solo queue the answer is LOL NOPE.

edit: to make it clear I actually enjoy this game, I've gotten kind of good at it, and I really don't regret any of the money I've given PGI. I've gotten enough hours logged just on Steam (and I was around pre-Steam) that the cost:benefit ratio is still way above most of the 60 hour titles I've played and set aside.

That said, you're kind of a dumb if you pump money into the game at this point. I'm quickly losing confidence that it will be around in a playable state (as in finding matches, not just whether they cock up the rules again with Ghost Heat 3: Ghost Harder) a year from now.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

^: I'm a nerd in a field that has to take p-values very seriously :smith:.

TjyvTompa posted:

I'm not a PGI apologist at all, not sure where you get that from. PGI sucks, Russ and Paul are idiots. But I do like to stomp around in my mech and press buttons to make poo poo explode.

I get it from you defending them and not at all being skeptical of the poo poo they just pushed through.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin' Battletech Nuremberg trials up in here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Fuckin' Battletech Nuremberg trials up in here.

So we'll hang Russ, let the rest of the team responsible for lovely decisions go free, and then all kickstart a MWO 2 run by the same guys?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

So we'll hang Russ, let the rest of the team responsible for lovely decisions go free, and then all kickstart a MWO 2 run by the same guys?

Okay I needed that laugh today :haw:.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

So we'll hang Russ and Paul, let the rest of the team responsible for lovely decisions go free, and then all kickstart a MWO 2 run by the same guys?

FTFY

And essentially yes.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

Who gives gently caress about numbers, what kind of awful nerds are you?

The only real metric that matters is whether the player base is large enough to quickly and effectively create balanced teams.

Based on how badly I've seen the matchmaker making GBS threads itself and making me wait multiple minutes for a match in goddamned solo queue the answer is LOL NOPE.

edit: to make it clear I actually enjoy this game, I've gotten kind of good at it, and I really don't regret any of the money I've given PGI. I've gotten enough hours logged just on Steam (and I was around pre-Steam) that the cost:benefit ratio is still way above most of the 60 hour titles I've played and set aside.

That said, you're kind of a dumb if you pump money into the game at this point. I'm quickly losing confidence that it will be around in a playable state (as in finding matches, not just whether they cock up the rules again with Ghost Heat 3: Ghost Harder) a year from now.

Maybe the matchmaker has trouble finding other people that are that bad?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Cyrano4747 posted:

Have not run into this. What region/time?

The cool thing about the player base is you quickly learn who is the publord that must be assassinated*. The other players are creeps and it's DOTA at that point.

*If you are one of these people yes I am singling you out of crowds intentionally :getin:

Bobcats fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cyrano4747 posted:

And at least exile Paul

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Bobcats posted:

Have not run into this. What region/time?

The cool thing about the player base is you quickly learn who is the publord that must be assassinated*. The other players are creeps and it's DOTA at that point.

*If you are one of these people yes I am singling you out of crowds intentionally :getin:

This is actually one of the most important things to do beyond standard teamwork in games. Guys like Sustained Eye Contact or the EMP guys will carry teams if you don't immediately gut them as a priority.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I haven't been on mumble again maybe we should try to have a mwo night soon if it's still dead lately.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I haven't been on mumble again maybe we should try to have a mwo night soon if it's still dead lately.

There are four of us on right now being idiots with Cataphracts- you too could be losing games with us!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i want to play but i'm f5ing politics poo poo gimme a sec maybe i'll join...maybe NOT

also I don't have a cataphract :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If it makes you feel any better we stopped Catting Phracts and switched to Timbers.

• Locked thread