Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

I said come in! posted:

Seems that way! but nothing that would cause the sort of damage that is being described. The uncomfortable truth is that the IDF likely is responsible for a good portion of the deaths that day, not hamas.

Having a detailed account of what happened is not in Israels best interest of course. This entire genocide is based on the false narrative that hamas was butchers that day. They absolutely murdered people, but none of the truly heinous stuff actually happened. This is important when fighting against Israels treatment of palestinians and demanding a ceasefire.

Just keep blabbing that poo poo with no proof at all eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I remember at the time wondering what the hell weapons the fighters on the ground were using to be able to burn out so many cars on the road trying to escape the rave. Turns out, according to Haaretz, that an IDF gunship opened up on the bystanders. Which rather changes the story somewhat from what we were presented with. And the burnt out vehicles would make a lot more sense if they were hit by IDF heavy weapons trying to interdict anyone moving away from the wall.

I'm not in anyway denying that Palestinian fighters killed Israelis, but much like the 200 unrecognisably burnt victims turning out to be terrorists, and the eyewitness reports of the IDF firing indiscriminately into buildings in the kibbutz, this really highlights that we haven't been told the truth about what happened that day.

https://twitter.com/AliAbunimah/status/1725958732113162579?t=DEj5cTnSYE6FBaE_VTMYfQ&s=19

Considering the absolute chaos of the events on Oct 7th and the generally inept and haphazard response of Israeli authorities, it's likely that the Israeli government itself is still trying to piece together exactly what the hell happened on Oct 7th.

I don't doubt for a second that the IDF killed at least a few civilians during Oct 7th. They're military, not police; they simply don't have the training and tactics necessary to effectively handle stuff like hostage situations in civilian communities, especially considering the considerable command chain confusion.

On the other hand, that same level of confusion means that the IDF is unlikely to have been responsible for anywhere near the majority of deaths - they simply didn't arrive early enough. Witness accounts suggest it took the IDF roughly three hours to arrive at the music festival, by which point Hamas had already killed quite a few of the attendees, and the survivor accounts I've seen came from people who were hiding or playing dead. There's no denying that Hamas did plenty of killing on Oct 7th, and even considering the IDF's preference for heavy weaponry, it's unlikely that the collateral damage death count is going to be anywhere close to that.

---
On an unrelated note, the Israeli government is up in arms against Netanyahu and his mini war cabinet...because he's being too generous to Gaza.

Specifically, Netanyahu's little war cabinet agrees to allow a whopping 2 fuel trucks a day into Gaza for UN humanitarian workers and to restore telecoms and sewage/processing. Although Netanyahu tried to convince the full cabinet that this is militarily necessary and that the IDF assures him it's fine, that didn't stop each and every right-wing party leader from lining up to loudly blast him over it, accusing him of "spitting in the face" of the IDF and demanding that he stop cavorting with terrorists and start bombing Palestinians even more savagely.

The government's not going to fall over this, because polls suggest Likud would lose big if elections were called right now, but it's another reminder of how completely hosed politics are in Israel and how Netanyahu is relatively moderate by the standards of his current coalition.

https://www.politico.eu/article/benjamin-netanyahu-scrambles-quell-revolt-far-right-israel-government-gaza-fuel-palestine-conflict/

quote:

TEL AVIV — Benjamin Netanyahu scrambled to quell a revolt by religious nationalists and settler leaders within his increasingly unruly governing coalition demanding he reverse a decision to let two fuel trucks per day enter Gaza — a concession the Israeli prime minister made amid growing U.S. and international pressure.

Rebellious coalition partners demanded to have more say over the conduct of the war after Netanyahu’s decision was announced Friday. They argued there should be no delivery of fuel, however limited, to the Palestinian coastal enclave — or any other humanitarian concessions — until Hamas frees the 240 Israeli hostages the group seized on October 7, when gunmen launched an attack on southern Israel, killing at least 1,200 people, Israeli officials say.

Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, a far-right settler leader, insisted the war cabinet be expanded from three people, including Netanyahu, so that all seven parties in the coalition government have a seat. Smotrich said allowing fuel in “is a grave mistake.”

In recent weeks, as Western allies attempt to persuade Netanyahu to restrain Israeli military action — which has killed nearly 11,500 Palestinians in 42 days, according to separate counts by both the Palestinian Authority and the Hamas-run government in Gaza, a number which some Israeli officials dispute — he has to contend with coalition partners who are set against conceding.

The religious nationalists and settler leaders also were critical of his decision last week, made again after arm-twisting by the Biden administration, to pause for a few hours daily its aerial bombardment and ground operations to allow Palestinians to flee south from the most intense fighting in northern Gaza.

The eruption within the coalition government over the fuel concession illustrates the dilemma Netanyahu faces in trying to balance far-right religious nationalists in his government and Israel’s Western allies, who are increasingly pressing him to ease the plight of Gaza civilians. The majority of Palestinians in Gaza, which has been under air, land and sea blockade by Israel since 2007 — when Hamas wrested power over the Strip from Fatah — relied heavily on humanitarian aid before the war, including fuel to clean water, operate sewage systems and power now-shut-off telecommunications. Egypt has upheld a blockade on its border crossing at Rafah with Gaza since 2007.

Israeli officials say the decision to let in small amounts of fuel daily, a fraction of the fuel allowed before the war, was allowed as a gesture to Western allies and to avoid a breakdown of Gaza’s sewage and water systems, which would risk spreading disease, impacting civilians and Israeli troops.

“If plague were to break out, we’d have to stop the war,” National Security Council chairman Tzachi Hanegbi told reporters Friday.

But Itamar Ben Gvir, the minister overseeing Israel’s police, dismissed that argument, saying “so long as our hostages don’t even get a visit from the Red Cross, there’s no sense in giving the enemy humanitarian gifts.” Permitting fuel, he said, “broadcasts weakness, gives oxygen to the enemy and allows [Hamas Gaza leader Yahya] Sinwar to sit comfortably in his air-conditioned bunker, watch the news and continue to manipulate Israeli society and the families of the abductees.”

Scrounging for fuel
Israel cut off all fuel deliveries to Gaza at the start of the war, forcing the enclave’s only power plant to shut down, and it has been highly reluctant to allow fuel into Gaza, claiming it could be used to keep generators working to pump oxygen into Hamas’ huge network of tunnels. “For air, they need oil. For oil, they need us,” Yoav Gallant, Israel’s defense minister, said as the war commenced.

But civilians need fuel as well. Gaza hospitals have been scrounging to find fuel to run their generators to power incubators and other life-saving equipment. And the U.N. has been urging fuel deliveries. Midweek, Israel allowed in a small amount to keep United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) aid delivery trucks operating.

Netanyahu has agreed to no more than 140,000 liters being transported every two days into Gaza.

An official in the prime minister’s office told POLITICO: “60,000 liters of fuel (about two trucks) were approved, which is about 3.5 percent of the amount that came in before the war, in order to prevent a humanitarian crisis and enable the continued destruction of Hamas-ISIS. It will prevent the sewage system from collapsing. The long-term policy will be discussed tonight in the cabinet.”

President Joe Biden expressed frustration last week about how long it took to get Israel to agree on brief humanitarian pauses. He had asked the Israeli leader not only for daily pauses but also for a “pause longer than three days” to allow for negotiations over the release of some hostages held by Hamas. On the latter he has so far been rebuffed but on the former, he said it had “taken a little longer than I hoped.”

Netanyahu has struggled to keep his rambunctious far-right coalition partners in line. Last week he urged ministers to pipe down and “be careful with their words” when they talk about the war on Hamas. “Every word has meaning when it comes to diplomacy,” the prime minister said at a full cabinet meeting. “We must be sensitive,” he added, saying speaking out of turn harms Israel’s international legitimacy.

His warning came after his agriculture minister, Avi Dichter, envisaged the displacement of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip becoming a permanent uprooting. He dubbed it the “Gaza Nakba of 2023,” a reference to the expulsion of thousands of Palestinians during the Arab-Israeli war in 1948, known as the nakba (“catastrophe” in Arabic). “That’s how it’ll end,” Dichter said during a television interview.

Just days earlier, Amihai Eliyahu, the heritage minister, prompted an outcry in Israel and abroad when he suggested one option in the war could be to drop a nuclear bomb on Gaza. Netanyahu quickly disavowed the comment, and then suspended Eliyahu from cabinet meetings.

And on Thursday, before the coalition eruption over Netanyahu’s backtracking on previous pledges not to allow a drop of fuel to enter Gaza, Ben Gvir said the West Bank should be flattened like Gaza following an attack by Hamas gunmen on a checkpoint south of Jerusalem.

“We need to deal with Hamas in the West Bank, and the Palestinian Authority which has similar views to Hamas and its heads identified with Hamas’ massacre, exactly like we are dealing with Gaza,” Ben Gvir said.

Netanyahu’s coalition partners are unlikely though to walk out of the government. None of the seven parties will want to set in motion the circumstances for a snap election. A poll Friday found that the Netanyahu-led coalition would be roundly beaten if elections for the Knesset were held today.

The Israeli prime minister isn’t getting any boost from the war, unlike Benny Gantz, a retired general and one of the leaders of the center-right National Unity party. He agreed to serve in the war cabinet for the duration of the fight, despite personal and political differences with Netanyahu. When asked who they would prefer as prime minister, 41 percent of respondents said Gantz; only 25 percent said Netanyahu.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm going to wait just a bit longer on the helicopter thing because "unnamed police source" is 1) an unnamed cop and 2) possibly the same unnamed source as before. If it's an official Israeli determination we'll have more info soon enough. also the families of the victims would like to know what happened

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Is it useful to keep a Jewish population traumatized from their past and make them attached to the same place where the US can pave forward to more colonization and their own agenda? Or does that sound too conspiracy-ish? I often feel like everyone in that area is using everyone who is living there to play out a part while the US just gets its own piece because in all honesty I don't think they really give a poo poo about Palestinians or Muslims or Jews in general, I think they just want use of the place in general. But for what? Resources, land, an eye on the entire area? I don't know how dumb I sound here, please forgive me.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't doubt for a second that the IDF killed at least a few civilians during Oct 7th. They're military, not police; they simply don't have the training and tactics necessary to effectively handle stuff like hostage situations in civilian communities, especially considering the considerable command chain confusion.

i understand the point you're making here, but the idf serves in traditional police roles all the time. both the idf and magav have a "shoot first and ask questions never" attitude even under normal circumstances, though, so it comes out the same in the end.

MadSparkle posted:

Is it useful to keep a Jewish population traumatized from their past and make them attached to the same place where the US can pave forward to more colonization and their own agenda? Or does that sound too conspiracy-ish? I often feel like everyone in that area is using everyone who is living there to play out a part while the US just gets its own piece because in all honesty I don't think they really give a poo poo about Palestinians or Muslims or Jews in general, I think they just want use of the place in general. But for what? Resources, land, an eye on the entire area? I don't know how dumb I sound here, please forgive me.

the first question is an entire encyclopedia of context you're missing.

what the US government gets out of this alliance is a safe staging position and ally in the middle east. what americans get out of this is a reliable customer for arms, satisfying the religious beliefs of various conservative groups (as much if not more christian, rather than jewish), and allaying the concerns of american jewish people who have a personal interest in the safety of israel, a varying mix of philosophical interest and "my cousin lives there".

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 19, 2023

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Cease to Hope posted:

the first question is an entire encyclopedia of context you're missing. what the US government gets out of this alliance is a safe staging position and ally in the middle east. what americans get out of this is a reliable customer for arms, satisfying the religious beliefs of various conservative groups (as much if not more christian, rather than jewish), and allaying the concerns of american jewish people who have a personal interest in the safety of israel, a varying mix of philosophical interest and "my cousin lives there".

Thank you. Yes, I get a lot of that, but I am curious about this entire encyclopedia of context. Is there some abridged version? I know the US is getting a lot out of it on their own level with staging, but I guess I'm just wondering if the government is actually aware of what they're doing on another level, or if it's a case of, Yeah that poo poo's probably gonna happen, ah well, gently caress it. Not sure if that makes sense at all.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MadSparkle posted:

Thank you. Yes, I get a lot of that, but I am curious about this entire encyclopedia of context. Is there some abridged version? I know the US is getting a lot out of it on their own level with staging, but I guess I'm just wondering if the government is actually aware of what they're doing on another level, or if it's a case of, Yeah that poo poo's probably gonna happen, ah well, gently caress it. Not sure if that makes sense at all.

i didn't mean to be condescending, that's on me. my point was that you're asking a gigantic question that's hard to answer at all, let alone succinctly; i don't think i could properly do it justice. your implicit premise that the existence of the current state of israel is the cause of - or a source of aggravation to - jewish intergenerational trauma, that comes off to me as an (unintentionally) aggressive take, though, fwiw. i don't know what to recommend on this that isn't written by partisans.

the US government does know what's happening in israel and the occupied territories about as well as anyone does. say what you want about israel's government, it does have a more-or-less free press, so things that are happening in israel are generally not secret. what the president, US ambassador to israel, etc. can or hypothetically could do something to change what's happening, that isn't something knowable, but personally i think it's a lack of will rather than ability.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jyc-LzXqk0

This is a pretty good video I found tonight that gives a basic rundown of the geopolitical history of the events leading up to October 7, and how all of these different countries in the middle east and around the world, have an invested interest in Israel, and Palestine.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

i didn't mean to be condescending, that's on me. my point was that you're asking a gigantic question that's hard to answer at all, let alone succinctly; i don't think i could properly do it justice. your implicit premise that the existence of the current state of israel is the cause of - or a source of aggravation to - jewish intergenerational trauma, that comes off to me as an (unintentionally) aggressive take, though, fwiw. i don't know what to recommend on this that isn't written by partisans.

the US government does know what's happening in israel and the occupied territories about as well as anyone does. say what you want about israel's government, it does have a more-or-less free press, so things that are happening in israel are generally not secret. what the president, US ambassador to israel, etc. can or hypothetically could do something to change what's happening, that isn't something knowable, but personally i think it's a lack of will rather than ability.

Thank you - I have no argument here , I certainly wasn’t trying to come off as aggressive at all.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I said come in! posted:

Seems that way! but nothing that would cause the sort of damage that is being described. The uncomfortable truth is that the IDF likely is responsible for a good portion of the deaths that day, not hamas.

Having a detailed account of what happened is not in Israels best interest of course. This entire genocide is based on the false narrative that hamas was butchers that day. They absolutely murdered people, but none of the truly heinous stuff actually happened. This is important when fighting against Israels treatment of palestinians and demanding a ceasefire.

I'm sorry what? We have reams of footage from that day, one anonymous source comes up to claim 'some' civilians cross fire and your leaping to Hamas being innocent of any of it?
Hamas and the IDF being monsters are not mutually exclusive and if every single claim of brutality leveled against Hamas is true it still won't justify the IDFs current actions.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 19, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just wanted to give credit for a very good post. Some very interesting statistics in there. If only liberal democracies were attentive to the wishes of their populations.

Also lol at Smotrich whining because he wants into the War Cabinet, that's a concession to Benny Gantz because his - and his base's - immediate support is essential even if it sets him up better in the next elections. Smotrich's support is not likewise vital, and if gaining as much unity as possible was the actual goal then it would be Yair Lapid who gets the invitation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/sara_paparini/status/1725794099272237483?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

https://x.com/ghassanabusitt1/status/1726240098721865749?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

The last still-functioning hospital in northern Gaza has been evacuated after running out of supplies. Medical infrastructure in Gaza City is now officially, finally a thing of the past.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
The NY Legal Aid Society, “largest, most influential social justice law firm in New York City” is cracking down on their members supporting Palestine and apparently put a restraining order on their own union to stop them from voting on a statement in support of a ceasefire.

The quotes are again, a heck of a doozy.

https://twitter.com/equalityAlec/status/1725927150014865542

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Some significant developments:

Houthis are now declaring that they will be targeting ships affiliated with Israel, in the following ways:

quote:

1. Ships carrying the flag of the Zionist entity
2. Ships operated by Israeli companies
3. Ships owned by Israeli companies.

The Yemeni Armed Forces also calls on all countries of the world to:

A. Withdrawal of its citizens working on the crews of these ships.
B. Avoid shipping on or handling these vessels.
C. Inform your ships to stay away from these ships.

As can be expected from the Houthis, they've made good on this threat, targeting an Israeli-owned ship

Israel has denied that the ship is theirs, because it was flying a flag of convenience & wasnt coming to or from Israel. Seems like a bad idea for insurance purposes to emphasize how broad the category is.

It's genuinely impressive how Yemen has developed from mountain hillbillies enduring a genocide from a superpower & its wealthy client, to an effective beligerent force.

Additionally, some Arab news stations are covering what claims to be a clip from an interview of the director of the Mount Herzl cemetary, claiming 50 burials in 48 hours. Herzl, as far as I'm aware, is reserved for national figures & soldiers.

https://twitter.com/ajmubasher/status/1726089804054458689

I don't speak either language and I couldn't find the guy they're saying is the director, so I was interested in if anyone could confirm that:

- This is the director of Mount Herzl's cemetary
- That he's saying they've buried 50 in 48 hours
- The clip is legitimate & not say, pulled from an old video.

There's a video out there without the voiceover, if that makes it easier.

It's an enticing story because it fits with the narrative of burials revealing larger casualty figures that happened in Ukraine, and on paper it makes sense as a red flag; unless you're willing to just stack up bodies in a fridge somewhere, they're going to be buried and people are going to notice.

Another possibility is that there's a backlog of casualties from Oct 7th that they're still working on, though if I'm not mistaken Jewish tradition requests a burial within 24 hours, and at 25 burials a day they should have already been through the 3-400 or so military casualties, unless this is an old video.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 19, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Neurolimal posted:

Some significant developments:

Houthis are now declaring that they will be targeting ships affiliated with Israel, in the following ways:

As can be expected from the Houthis, they've made good on this threat, targeting an Israeli-owned ship

Israel has denied that the ship is theirs, because it was flying a flag of convenience & wasnt coming to or from Israel. Seems like a bad idea for insurance purposes to emphasize how broad the category is.

It's genuinely impressive how Yemen has developed from mountain hillbillies enduring a genocide from a superpower & its wealthy client, to an effective beligerent force.

:stare: This is definitely alarming and seems like the it could escalate this war to other countries whose ships/civilians get targeted.

Looking at a Reuters article, Israel described it as British owned and Japanese operated: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-says-houthis-seize-ship-red-sea-no-israelis-among-owners-or-crew-2023-11-19/

I'm hoping none of the civilians (hostages at this point, I presume) on this ship were injured/killed, even if the Houthis are claiming that

quote:

"We are treating the ship's crew in accordance with Islamic principles and values," a spokesperson for the group said, making no reference to the Israeli account.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 19, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Some updates from Al-Shifa hospital:

The WHO evacuated the babies
https://twitter.com/DrTedros/status/1726224272350179572

The IDF finally released video of anything other than the entrance of the tunnel they found. From the debris in the entrance it appears to have been buried under concrete and shows no sign of any use (reminder that Israel built tunnels underneath the hospital in 1983, which might be what they found)
https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1726284807351472556

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 19, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Neurolimal posted:

I don't think seizing a commercial vessel necessarily makes you an effective belligerent, to be honest. You literally just need a boat and a couple of guys with guns. Crews are specifically instructed not to resist, most don't even have guns to avoid possible escalation.

Neurolimal posted:

Additionally, some Arab news stations are covering what claims to be a clip from an interview of the director of the Mount Herzl cemetary, claiming 50 burials in 48 hours. Herzl, as far as I'm aware, is reserved for national figures & soldiers.

I don't speak either language and I couldn't find the guy they're saying is the director, so I was interested in if anyone could confirm that:

It's an enticing story because it fits with the narrative of burials revealing larger casualty figures that happened in Ukraine, and on paper it makes sense as a red flag; unless you're willing to just stack up bodies in a fridge somewhere, they're going to be buried and people are going to notice.

Another possibility is that there's a backlog of casualties from Oct 7th that they're still working on, though if I'm not mistaken Jewish tradition requests a burial within 24 hours, and at 25 burials a day they should have already been through the 3-400 or so military casualties, unless this is an old video.

The clip is originally from this video. Doesn't say when it was filmed, but was uploaded a day ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuOUN2O8KB0

Google translation of subtitles gives a similar quote, but I can't be sure that it didn't get the tense wrong or something. The video never mentions soldiers or fighting in Gaza from what I can tell. Israel until recently couldn't even identify all of the bodies, hence the change in the number of victims from 1400 to 1200, so it is much more likely that they are still burying victims of the Oct. 7 attack. If the IDF was suffering casualties on that scale, with how often families of hostages organise protests against Netanyahu and demand a cease fire, very openly so, I imagine we would have heard directly from the families and not from a random promotional video.

E: At 1:02 there's a tombstone with the name visible. Shachaf Bergstein. He's on the list of the 300+ soldiers who died on Oct. 7

https://www.timesofisrael.com/authorities-name-44-soldiers-30-police-officers-killed-in-hamas-attack/

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 19, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Kalit posted:

:stare: This is definitely alarming and seems like the it could escalate this war to other countries whose ships/civilians get targeted.

Looking at a Reuters article, Israel described it as British owned and Japanese operated: https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-says-houthis-seize-ship-red-sea-no-israelis-among-owners-or-crew-2023-11-19/

I'm hoping none of the civilians (hostages at this point, I presume) on this ship were injured/killed, even if the Houthis are claiming that

The British company is basically a shell company for an Israeli shipping and import/export magnate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Has there been any evidence suggesting the IDF lied about their own casualties in previous wars? It seems like an extremely difficult thing to hush up given that all these soldiers will have families who will realize very quickly if they lose contact with them. It's way more plausible to me that Hamas is exaggerating their accomplishments and/or providing videos that are not actually from the current conflict in order to make their campaign seem more successful than it is.

Piell posted:

The IDF finally released video of anything other than the entrance of the tunnel they found. From the debris in the entrance it appears to have been buried under concrete and shows no sign of any use (reminder that Israel built tunnels underneath the hospital in 1983, which might be what they found)
This does look very much like a Hamas tunnel (which we've seen in Hamas-released videos) rather than something an Israeli architect would've designed for the purposes of administering a hospital. Is there any article that goes into what the Israeli-built tunnels looked like and where they were?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 19, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Around 1:12 the video cuts and the lighting changes, take of that what you will.

Paladinus posted:

E: At 1:02 there's a tombstone with the name visible. Shachaf Bergstein. He's on the list of the 300+ soldiers who died on Oct. 7

https://www.timesofisrael.com/authorities-name-44-soldiers-30-police-officers-killed-in-hamas-attack/

Thank you for the help.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Neurolimal posted:

Around 1:12 the video cuts and the lighting changes, take of that what you will.

Thank you for the help.

There is an uncut version of the videos that were combined here
https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1726286232408248687/video/2

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

If you can't verify it directly, why not approach from a different angle? Namely, if the director of Mount Herzl Cemetery is openly telling Jewish-Israeli reporters about all these burials in Hebrew-language interviews that are being broadcast publicly on Israeli TV, why would you only be able to find Arab sources talking about it?

At first glance, it doesn't pass the smell test. It's hard to claim there's a coverup when your evidence is a recorded TV broadcast.

There is in fact still a backlog of Oct 7th casualties they're working through. The considerable carnage of the day made body identification very difficult, and in the first place, Israel doesn't have the capacity to quickly process more than a thousand bodies.

Piell posted:

Also, 55 meters long doesn't seem very useful unless they found a Hamas bunker at the end of the tunnel, which they definitely haven't because they'd absolutely be leading with that if they did. That's just over half a football field.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Nucleic Acids posted:

The British company is basically a shell company for an Israeli shipping and import/export magnate.

Do you have a source of this claim and that they’re the owner of this ship?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Also, 55 meters long doesn't seem very useful unless they found a Hamas bunker at the end of the tunnel, which they definitely haven't because they'd absolutely be leading with that if they did. That's just over half a football field.
Presumably they haven't got through that blast door at the end yet. If it connects to the rest of the tunnel network then I imagine it would be very useful.

e: yeah, according to this article the blast door is as far as they've got so far.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/19/idf-israel-army-footage-claims-hamas-tunnel-al-shifa-hospital-gaza

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kalit posted:

Do you have a source of this claim and that they’re the owner of this ship?

I have one: https://www.lloydslist.com/LL114731...0its%20website.

Can't get better than Lloyd's for shipping news.

e: article also reveals that this is the 3rd time Ray Shipping have been hit in the last three years, they're clearly Iran's punching bag of choice when they want to poke Israel.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Piell posted:

There is an uncut version of the videos that were combined here
https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1726286232408248687/video/2

That second video has something that looks more like an actual entrance, fairly wide and the opening is clearly intentional and not a hole from a bomb. Makes me wonder why it took them almost a week to find it. I'd expect a secret entrance to be inside one of the buildings, and it's not like you can disguise it as a manhole.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BUUNNI posted:

The quotes are again, a heck of a doozy.

wow

That's not the bloodthirstiest quote I've seen, but it may be the single worst one.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

wow

That's not the bloodthirstiest quote I've seen, but it may be the single worst one.

It’s kind of incredible how NY is represented by two pro-apartheid genocidal parties and social justice is like a thin veneer to over for massive corruption at all levels. I love it here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The IDF released footage of militants allegedly bringing hostages to Al Shifa.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/surveillance-footage-shows-hamas-bringing-hostages-into-shifa-hospital-on-oct-7/

https://twitter.com/i/status/1726311040072474812

At least one of the hostages required medical attention, so not exactly a smoking gun, although not clear if the militants stayed at the hospital and also kept the second hostage there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The treatment of that second hostage seems very rough if he is actually injured.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

that looks nothing like the Hamas tunnels we've seen so far which are way tighter, with very small entryways. this tunnel has a massive spiral staircase going into it and it isn't reinforced in the way the Hamas tunnels seem to always be.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the only armed force on the planet actually able to tactically(and politically) enter and engage Israel is Hezbollah and they’ve already said they’re sitting it out?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What does Hezbollah have to gain from a full scale war with Israel?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

punishedkissinger posted:

that looks nothing like the Hamas tunnels we've seen so far which are way tighter, with very small entryways. this tunnel has a massive spiral staircase going into it and it isn't reinforced in the way the Hamas tunnels seem to always be.

It can be an extension of an existing underground level that Israel built there, or maybe it was built when Hamas had more access to resources and equipment. Still, until they actually show what's behind that blast door, impossible to say anything definitively. Will probably take another week with the way things are going.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it looks fairly similar to those other tunnels, which also have quite a lot of variation compared to each other. It certainly looks a lot more like them than it does a hospital basement system created by an actual architect, which would likely be a lot larger, more regularly shaped and have rooms branching off it.

e: ultimately "tunnel exactly big enough for one person to stand up in" is a pretty rare design outside of exactly Hamas' strategic tunnels

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 19, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Paladinus posted:

The IDF released footage of militants allegedly bringing hostages to Al Shifa.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/surveillance-footage-shows-hamas-bringing-hostages-into-shifa-hospital-on-oct-7/

https://twitter.com/i/status/1726311040072474812

At least one of the hostages required medical attention, so not exactly a smoking gun, although not clear if the militants stayed at the hospital and also kept the second hostage there.

Okay so Hamas didn't want their hostages to die, and tried what they could to get them medical attention. That's all this footage shows. Shout out to the big guy at the front entrance footage who looked like this was not his first rodeo seeing this.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

So the only armed force on the planet actually able to tactically(and politically) enter and engage Israel is Hezbollah and they’ve already said they’re sitting it out?

they appear to be slowly escalating their actions against israel. Now, this escalation could simply be tit for tat of the attacks israel has initiated, or it could be their attempt to test israel's red lines.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hezbollah has inflicted a genuinely impressive amount of pressure on Israel's border. I think Israel is up to 28 border communities evacuated? It would be great if they did more, but I can't fault one of three groups actually trying to stop Israel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I said come in! posted:

Okay so Hamas didn't want their hostages to die, and tried what they could to get them medical attention. That's all this footage shows. Shout out to the big guy at the front entrance footage who looked like this was not his first rodeo seeing this.
Also it needs to be mentioned that Israel's response to hostages being taken since 10/7 has been to bomb the poo poo out of any place they think hostages could be, including hospitals

Because somehow that will rescue them??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also it needs to be mentioned that Israel's response to hostages being taken since 10/7 has been to bomb the poo poo out of any place they think hostages could be, including hospitals

Because somehow that will rescue them??

Yep, that and I would like more evidence that we know for sure those are hostages, and hamas militants in the footage. There is nothing identifying them. The footage is clearly dated and time stamped, so that helps, but also Gaza is a pretty dangerous place on one of its "normal" not being bombed by Israel days. Violence was very common. We are positive these are not just normal Gaza citizens? Which I mean, the 2nd bit of footage of the front entrance, was pretty damning, that person looked like he didn't want to be there.