Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vermain posted:

My only other concern with Ana at this point: how the gently caress is she ever supposed to get PotG?

I imagine that it's going to be fairly dependant on Nano Boost. Maybe if a Nano Boosted person would have gotten play of the game while nano boosted it's given to her instead?

idk, alternatively the same way Zenyatta does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
sombra is going to be the closest thing possible to a TF2 spy, calling it now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pretty sure Ana is Sombra, given a couple of her skins.

Also her voice lines are pretty awesome, like "Justice rains from above" in (?)Arabic.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Brannock posted:

I still want more villains. Only four (Reaper, Widowmaker, Roadhog, Junkrat) and two neutral (Bastion, Symmetra) is insufficient.

Sombra was supposed to be our evil support :mad:

Torbjörn is a bad guy. He fights for robot slavery.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

I imagine that it's going to be fairly dependant on Nano Boost. Maybe if a Nano Boosted person would have gotten play of the game while nano boosted it's given to her instead?

idk, alternatively the same way Zenyatta does.

I've seen a few Zenyatta PotGs on the PTR with him either pulling out some insane frags or healing a huge amount of damage all at once, something that Ana can't really do. It really makes me wish for that "duo PotG" setup someone proposed a while back, so you could see Ana throwing Nano Boost on Torbjorn or something and then you get to watch the little bastard go HAM on a splitscreen. Right now, unless they do some really hosed up weighting for her scoped heals, you're probably never going to see her taking that spot.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I hope and pray they never add stealth into the game, but some kind of trickster hero that was all about loving with the enemy team (by making phantom footsteps or rocket explosions or throwing smoke grenades, etc.) would be cool.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Donnerberg posted:

Torbjörn is a bad guy. He fights for robot slavery.

hating/distrusting omnics doesn't make one a villain in this game

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Brannock posted:

I still want more villains. Only four (Reaper, Widowmaker, Roadhog, Junkrat) and two neutral (Bastion, Symmetra) is insufficient.

i'd say junkrat and roadhog are neutral too. they'd join either talon or overwatch if they were paid enough.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

yeah i wouldn't be surprised by this. her easter egg stuff is implying she's a hacker of some sort so i could see her having a cloaking device.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Brannock posted:

junkrat is a bad guy? But he's so goofy and lovable :ohdear:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

Their intro comic has them strapping some corrupt businessman to a crane and blowing him up for attempting to frame them. They might not be villains in the same way that Reaper/Widowmaker are, but they aren't nice people.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
McCree was also a criminal.

He is reformed but it's still part of his character.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i'd say junkrat and roadhog are neutral too. they'd join either talon or overwatch if they were paid enough.

yeah i wouldn't be surprised by this. her easter egg stuff is implying she's a hacker of some sort so i could see her having a cloaking device.

Away all Goats posted:

Junkrat and Roadhog are two of the most wanted men in the world for mass murder, grand larceny, blowing up and robbing the bank in Dorado, robbing an arcade and a whole bunch of other poo poo.

Basically Junkrat's story is that he found an Omnium Core, stashed it somewhere and then word got out what he had so a $25,000,000 bounty was placed on his head. When he realized he's living on borrowed time because now everyone's gonna want him dead he got Roadhog to tag along and said "gently caress it, if I'm gonna go down let's go down in flames"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

Their intro comic has them strapping some corrupt businessman to a crane and blowing him up for attempting to frame them. They might not be villains in the same way that Reaper/Widowmaker are, but they aren't nice people.

hey give them some credit, they wanted to do a legit job at first! (that paid a lot of money) and the suit made the mistake of backstabbing them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Actually now that you mention it Junkrat's concept art does portray him as more menacing than goofy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ddraig posted:

McCree was also a criminal.

He is reformed but it's still part of his character.

He also blows away several dudes in his intro comic. A lot of the nastier stuff about the various characters is mostly left to the comics, which is fair, since they want the base game to appeal to a very broad age range. Widowmaker's another example: she's absolutely an archetypical femme fatale (she even has the loving French accent!), but she apparently couldn't give a hot fart about using her sexuality in any way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Junkrat's villainy is tempered by being comic relief so him blowing up a building during a "hostage rescue" results in whoops, turns out it was all a scam by the corrupt businessman hiring him and it's full of (non-sentient) robots. He steals the crown jewels and takes robs convenience stores of their stuffed animals.

Meanwhile Widowmaker assassinates the robot Dalai Lama.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

Junkrat's villainy is tempered by being comic relief so him blowing up a building during a "hostage rescue" results in whoops, turns out it was all a scam by the corrupt businessman hiring him and it's full of (non-sentient) robots. He steals the crown jewels and takes robs convenience stores of their stuffed animals.

Meanwhile Widowmaker assassinates the robot Dalai Lama.

I mean, that building in the comic him and Roadhog blew up was a massive office building in the middle of Sydney right in the middle of the day so he just basically caused another 9/11 right there.

edit:VVV Hey man I'm just saying, you gotta take the good with the bad. Sure he's a fun loving goofy guy that's missing a few screws and limbs but he also probably has a higher body count then ISIS.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 13, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

just let me have my trash husband ok

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Doomfist sure sounds like a villain, assuming he ends up being the next character.

apparently there was a good doomfist and an evil doomfist

as long as the next doomfist is ryu suzaku i am ok with this

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Doomfist is a real fuckin lame Metzen name

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
As long as we're being spergy about character lore -- I feel like I want to get better enough at Pharah that she'd be one of my go-to DPSers, but she just seems so boring character-wise. Like all her voice lines and emotes paint her as a goody-two-shoes, no-nonsense guardian. Yawn. The omnics have more personality.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vermain posted:

I've seen a few Zenyatta PotGs on the PTR with him either pulling out some insane frags or healing a huge amount of damage all at once, something that Ana can't really do. It really makes me wish for that "duo PotG" setup someone proposed a while back, so you could see Ana throwing Nano Boost on Torbjorn or something and then you get to watch the little bastard go HAM on a splitscreen. Right now, unless they do some really hosed up weighting for her scoped heals, you're probably never going to see her taking that spot.

Just saw an Ana POTG on a stream, she just killed like 3 people in quick succession with unscoped M1s on the KOTH point.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zoness posted:

You know given that Doomfist 3's name is written in Omnic language he might actually be an omnic.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

gandlethorpe posted:

As long as we're being spergy about character lore -- I feel like I want to get better enough at Pharah that she'd be one of my go-to DPSers, but she just seems so boring character-wise. Like all her voice lines and emotes paint her as a goody-two-shoes, no-nonsense guardian. Yawn. The omnics have more personality.

Counterpoint: 'Justice rains from above' is a cool thing to shout when you shower an area in missiles

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Zoness posted:

I like how every pic the Doomfist gaunlet itselt gets bigger and more elaborate.

It's like watching a Pokemon go from Level 1, to 16 to 32.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Away all Goats posted:

Counterpoint: 'Justice rains from above' is a cool thing to shout when you shower an area in missiles

Counter-counterpoint: It's less cool when you die after the first syllable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

We'll never know whether she's yelling about justice raining from above or encouraging everyone to just be excellent to each other because she gets hog-hooked before finishing the first word. Poor Pharah. Her mom came to help her.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vargs posted:

They wanted "one punch man" but that was taken

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The best part of Ana is the fact that a week before she goes live, the community has already started producing fanart and comics with her.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Counter-counterpoint: It's less cool when you die after the first syllable.

FAUXTON posted:

We'll never know whether she's yelling about justice raining from above or encouraging everyone to just be excellent to each other because she gets hog-hooked before finishing the first word. Poor Pharah. Her mom came to help her.
:gitgud:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Vargs posted:

They've said it was a name metzen threw out there just as some generic bad guy name to tie to the gauntlet in the reveal cinematic.

So, like, you're right, but you should blame the fans for obsessing over it and wanting to know more about the most generic sounding villian ever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

FAUXTON posted:

Pretty sure Ana is Sombra, given a couple of her skins.

Also her voice lines are pretty awesome, like "Justice rains from above" in (?)Arabic.

My favourite thing about the jeffk post about "we got an Egyptian recorded in Egypt for Ana" is some guy immediately posting a wall of text about how she sounds wrong and she should be speaking Standard Arabic and then someone replying that she speaks perfectly normal Egyptian and to stop being a sperg about it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
it's doomhammer - hammer + fist

he's gonna be an omnic that was raised by an abusive human military leader etc

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Honestly, when I first heard the name, I thought they had reused an actual name from Warcraft. Regardless, I hope he becomes a hero so we can get gay fanart of him fisting people.

khy posted:

The best part of Ana is the fact that a week before she goes live, the community has already started producing fanart and comics with her.

The first one came out less than an hour after the announcement video.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
just picture the thrall and garrosh cinematic from WoD except that giant fist that comes out of the ground is made of metal and that's his ult.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Snazzy Frocks posted:

that'd be the only hero who would scratch my class shooter itch better than ana tbh

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoness posted:

it's doomhammer - hammer + fist

he's gonna be an omnic that was raised by an abusive human military leader etc

are omnics, uh, "raised"? like do they grow up?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

My favourite thing about the jeffk post about "we got an Egyptian recorded in Egypt for Ana" is some guy immediately posting a wall of text about how she sounds wrong and she should be speaking Standard Arabic and then someone replying that she speaks perfectly normal Egyptian and to stop being a sperg about it.

I have a friend that fluently speaks Standard Arabic and he has trouble understanding her because of the dialect differences (specifically, the hard "G" sound she makes - the jeem - which is normally pronounced like a "J" in standard Arabic). Then again, there was also someone making accusations that Mei was just speaking gobblydigook instead of Mandarin (which, like... I can't speak a loving word of Mandarin, and it's pretty easy to tell she's speaking Mandarin).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
A stealth hero/TF2 spy would make this game 100% less fun.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
there are so many regional dialects of mandarin that it's not hard to imagine that someone with a strong regional dialect would have a hard time understanding mei's more standard enunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!

Spudd posted:

Trust me I hate Hanzo as much as you but holy poo poo for some reason he clicks with me, no matter whoever's on my dick or in the distance. It was like in TF2, I was terrible at the Sniper then I got The Huntsman and just solo carried games.

But really it's casual who cares if someone is poo poo.

I've noticed every Hanzo player that selects him to a reply of groans of 5 people always have the same spiel.

"Trust me, I'm different"

And then add in a POTG ultimate ontop of a Zarya ult for good measure even though we lost

"lmao you guys said hanzo sucks but seeeeeeeee?"