Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Dramicus posted:

I’ve got almost exactly the same build, only difference is my 1080ti and an 850w psu. Could you do me a massive favour and show me your chipset temps for idle and under load?

It would help assuage my concerns a lot. Our computers are almost carbon copies of each other.

Ambient temp here is around 20-21 C

Prime95 Small torture test: CPU 65 C, Chipset 43 C, GPU 38 C
3DMark Timespy graphics tests 1&2: CPU 43 C, Chipset 53 C, GPU 70C
Cinebench R20: CPU 58 C, Chipset 53 C, GPU 43 C

This is pretty much stock everything - default PPT, default fan curves in BIOS, PBO is not enabled. I do have DOCP enabled in BIOS to lock the correct memory speed (3200), but that's it

Case configuration is 2x140mm noctua redux intake, 1x120mm noctua redux exhaust, and the D15 CPU cooler

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

vanilla slimfast posted:

Ambient temp here is around 20-21 C

Prime95 Small torture test: CPU 65 C, Chipset 43 C, GPU 38 C
3DMark Timespy graphics tests 1&2: CPU 43 C, Chipset 53 C, GPU 70C
Cinebench R20: CPU 58 C, Chipset 53 C, GPU 43 C

This is pretty much stock everything - default PPT, default fan curves in BIOS, PBO is not enabled. I do have DOCP enabled in BIOS to lock the correct memory speed (3200), but that's it

Case configuration is 2x140mm noctua redux intake, 1x120mm noctua redux exhaust, and the D15 CPU cooler

Thanks a bunch. I've got exactly the same case, fans, cooler and general configuration as you. It's crazy. Good to know I'll be fine with a b550. Thanks again.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

pixaal posted:

I have a few solid copper heatsinks that I'm pretty sure are worth more than I paid for them now. Looking up the price of copper it's about 4x the value now than it was then I kinda doubt they only put $10 of copper in a $40 heatsink. Or maybe they did, how much does a solid copper heatsink weigh? 10lbs seems heavy but I remember it having some heft I should dig them up.

If they're some old Thermalright heatsinks, they probably don't weigh much over a pound. Even the gigantic Noctua heatsink is ~3 pounds. 10 pounds is you have a bowling ball strapped to the inside of your computer.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

sean10mm posted:

Actually I take that back, here are the scores I got
Yeah it's definitely a measurable but not necessarily meaningful kind of impact :)

Have you messed around much with going lower for PPT? For the sake of curiosity, I tried running Cinebench R20 with my 5800X at 88W PPT to match the 3700X's TDP and it completed the Cinebench run then crashed :unsmith:

I want to check out the curve optimizer stuff MaxxBot mentioned but I'm not sure I can get access to it without using a beta BIOS :whitewater:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

denereal visease posted:

Yeah it's definitely a measurable but not necessarily meaningful kind of impact :)

Have you messed around much with going lower for PPT? For the sake of curiosity, I tried running Cinebench R20 with my 5800X at 88W PPT to match the 3700X's TDP and it completed the Cinebench run then crashed :unsmith:

I want to check out the curve optimizer stuff MaxxBot mentioned but I'm not sure I can get access to it without using a beta BIOS :whitewater:

Weird that it crashed; lowering the PPT isn't really an overclock.

I ran my 5800x at 88w for awhile, average cinebench score was around 5600.

Currently at 105w where my average score is about 5850.

1c doesn't change naturally since I'm nowhere near the power limit even at 88w.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My bios has the curve optimizer menu but none of the settings I try save right and I don't care that much, so I will probably just wait for a mature bios version to really play with it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is the HP x360 with the Ryzen 4700U the fastest AMD chip in a 2-in-1 laptop right now? And honest answer, are they better than the i7-1165G7 in the Dell XPS 2-in-1?

I heard Userbenchmark has some weird biases toward Intel so I'm not sure how those two chips in particular stack up against each other (or if there's any better 7nm Ryzen chips in 2-in-1 laptops).

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Zero VGS posted:

Is the HP x360 with the Ryzen 4700U the fastest AMD chip in a 2-in-1 laptop right now? And honest answer, are they better than the i7-1165G7 in the Dell XPS 2-in-1?

I heard Userbenchmark has some weird biases toward Intel so I'm not sure how those two chips in particular stack up against each other (or if there's any better 7nm Ryzen chips in 2-in-1 laptops).

Userbenchmark are so hilariously full of lies that they are banned from r/intel. I think that should tell you everything you need to know about their editorials.

My question is: by what metric is a processor in a thin-and-light "better", for you personally? You're so severely power and thermally constrained in the thin-and-light form factors that looking at the usual desktop metrics (which lean toward raw compute power) simply don't work very well, IMO. My top criteria in that form factor is actually battery life, because I'm probably using the laptop as a network terminal while travelling. What are you looking for? What's your use case for an ultralight flippy notebook?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, Userbenchmark is hilariously anti-AMD to the point they have changed their benchmarks when Ryzen came out in order to keep Intel CPUs rated higher.

For a general reference it looks like Passmark has the advantage going to the 4700U:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-1165G7-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-4700U/3814vs3699

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Edit is not quote, goddamnit.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mdxi posted:

Userbenchmark are so hilariously full of lies that they are banned from r/intel. I think that should tell you everything you need to know about their editorials.

My question is: by what metric is a processor in a thin-and-light "better", for you personally? You're so severely power and thermally constrained in the thin-and-light form factors that looking at the usual desktop metrics (which lean toward raw compute power) simply don't work very well, IMO. My top criteria in that form factor is actually battery life, because I'm probably using the laptop as a network terminal while travelling. What are you looking for? What's your use case for an ultralight flippy notebook?

I'm evaluating a hardware refresh for my company and most people do have their laptops plugged in nonstop. So battery life isn't as high as a priority but people appreciate the 2-in-1 laptops because some of our salespeople use the stylus or touchscreen to whiteboard for customers in Zoom.

Back to the CPU though, I'm noticing the pricing on the 4000-series Ryzen 2-in-1 are substantially lower than the 11-gen Intel stuff. If the Ryzen HP is in fact snappier for general computer and has better thermals, then I might pivot to these over the Dell XPS stuff. But I don't see any real head to head comparisons of 4700U v 1165G7 in single/multicore benchmarks, or battery life / noise comparisons when running identical tasks with similar watt-hour battery.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
might be useful for some folks here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/k6kh1w/amd_still_providing_bootkits_for_all_cpus/

quote:

I contacted AMD in order to get a bootkit for the BIOS update, for my new Ryzen 5 5600X

Here's the list they sent me of all the qualifying CPUs, for those who might be wondering if they are eligible.

Note that you will need to provide pictures of your CPU, proof of purchase, and pictures of the motherboard.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Zero VGS posted:

I'm evaluating a hardware refresh for my company and most people do have their laptops plugged in nonstop. So battery life isn't as high as a priority but people appreciate the 2-in-1 laptops because some of our salespeople use the stylus or touchscreen to whiteboard for customers in Zoom.

Back to the CPU though, I'm noticing the pricing on the 4000-series Ryzen 2-in-1 are substantially lower than the 11-gen Intel stuff. If the Ryzen HP is in fact snappier for general computer and has better thermals, then I might pivot to these over the Dell XPS stuff. But I don't see any real head to head comparisons of 4700U v 1165G7 in single/multicore benchmarks, or battery life / noise comparisons when running identical tasks with similar watt-hour battery.

It's very difficult to compare chip vs chip in mobile because performance of a given laptop chip can vary substantially based on the thermal solution for the laptop it's in and the tuning it's given by the oem. You can look at benchmarks but that's less a comparison of the cpus and more a comparison of the platforms as a whole.

The tiger lake chips can be configured by the oems with power limits from like 8w up to 25w or something which as you can imagine can have a pretty big impact in performance.

Broadly speaking, ryzen 4xxx can go to 8c/16t which will give it an advantage if you use workloads that scale well with thread count. I'd expect tiger lake to be noticeably faster for single threaded workloads, but it really really depends on the implementation.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not sure that if you were handed the same laptop with one vs the other that you'd notice at all.

I think it's probably more a question of HP vs Dell. I've never had to deal with either for a fleet deployment so I don't know that that's like, but if it's my money I'd go with Dell over HP every time.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I got tired of waiting on the mobos I want actually getting stock so bought a MSI Unify x570 last night. Still won't be here by Cyberpunk launch :(

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Why is my CPU fan not spinning up past 200 RPM? MSI MEG Unify.

I downloaded their dragon center, the smart fan control is set to go to 100% at 70c but it never spins up at all. Manual control will ramp is up to 100%, ~1k rpm. Is there other software I can use to set fan curves?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sipher posted:

Why is my CPU fan not spinning up past 200 RPM? MSI MEG Unify.

I downloaded their dragon center, the smart fan control is set to go to 100% at 70c but it never spins up at all. Manual control will ramp is up to 100%, ~1k rpm. Is there other software I can use to set fan curves?

Do it directly in the BIOS? Those MSI/Asus/etc. programs are often just poo poo.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Dumb rear end question and I think you'd get the opposite problem but are you 100% positive it's into the CPU fan header and not the exactly the same shape/pinout additional fan header?

On my MSI board they are separate, there are multiple non-CPU fan headers, etc. On my B450 gigabyte they were IDENTICAL and adjacent, one had a gray sheath and the other black. The PC powers on and the fans spin just fine if you get it wrong, but I -think- it cannot read the temps.

This also happens if you use a splitter like to a FUMA2 with 2x fans, it'll only read one of them.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Yeah, it's in the right header as I can adjust it manually and it responds correctly.

The smart fan curve in the BIOS was already set, I poked the temps down like 1 degree and now it seems to be working correctly, thanks. Weird, was freaking out when I hit 90c in Death Stranding.

Prime95 is now peaking my temps at 79-80, whew.

Sipher fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 4, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Apparently the 5000 series hype cycle managed to sell a bunch of XT CPUs for AMD

https://imgur.com/a/3DYBCsP

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

overlapping your videocard and CPU numbers, who would have thought it'd end up causing confusion.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I choose to believe that demand is so slammed right now that people bought the XT CPUs knowing what they were

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

I choose to believe that demand is so slammed right now that people bought the XT CPUs knowing what they were

For real. Trying to build a pc is utterly nuts right now.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
yeah I'm happy that I'm on a 2920x and there's no real upgrade path without a full refresh.

The wx chips aren't faster for what I'm doing and i would be dealing with the memory-starved weirdness of the off-cores, so it's the 2940x for a few hundred bucks for 4 more cores.

Moderately peeved that there's now a $1000 premium for PCIe bandwidth, they dropped the 12&16-core in the 3900x threadrippers so entry price is $1400 for a 24-core chip. I doubt the zen3 threadrippers are going to reverse that trend either. :(

I like having 3 CPU-driven NVMe drives damnit.

I really hope AM5 does away with "1 x16 GPU, 1 x4 NVME, everything else chipset gently caress you" that we've been stuck with.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's this. Where I am not only is it impossible to find 3000-series gpus, the only GPU in stock for normal prices is the 5700xt, every nvidia GPU that isn't a 1650 is out of stock, including the entire 2000-series. I was really lucky to get my 5800x. I wasn't even expecting to find one. I was half-expecting a 3800x to be delivered instead.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Are newer laptops more likely to have dual-channel memory than a few years ago, or is still a crapshoot/unicorn situation?

I was helping someone pick a laptop this last week and we landed on an HP 17z-ca300 and I cannot for the life of me find anything on whether it runs dual-channel or not. I did have them spring the extra money to jump from 12GB to 16GB RAM on the chance it did, figuring worst-case it's an extra 4GB, but it would be nice to know if the stupid thing is going to run it single-channel anyway.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just get a macbook air! that's got a huge grip of bandwidth!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Harik posted:

yeah I'm happy that I'm on a 2920x and there's no real upgrade path without a full refresh.

The wx chips aren't faster for what I'm doing and i would be dealing with the memory-starved weirdness of the off-cores, so it's the 2940x for a few hundred bucks for 4 more cores.

Moderately peeved that there's now a $1000 premium for PCIe bandwidth, they dropped the 12&16-core in the 3900x threadrippers so entry price is $1400 for a 24-core chip. I doubt the zen3 threadrippers are going to reverse that trend either. :(

I really hope AM5 does away with "1 x16 GPU, 1 x4 NVME, everything else chipset gently caress you" that we've been stuck with.

I think the strategy is just to shuffle the folks who need IO and not cores to EPYC :/

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are newer laptops more likely to have dual-channel memory than a few years ago, or is still a crapshoot/unicorn situation?

I was helping someone pick a laptop this last week and we landed on an HP 17z-ca300 and I cannot for the life of me find anything on whether it runs dual-channel or not. I did have them spring the extra money to jump from 12GB to 16GB RAM on the chance it did, figuring worst-case it's an extra 4GB, but it would be nice to know if the stupid thing is going to run it single-channel anyway.

It's a total crapshoot but I think most laptops are going with a certain amount of soldered memory and then having one DIMM slot for you to put in another stick. I'd wager the laptop you're talking about has 8GB soldered memory and one stick of 8gb now.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Harik posted:

Good luck with that. A single "full speed" NVMe slot is sufficient for 95% of "normal" users, and of the remaining 5%, the vast majority can accept shared-speed for additional NVMe drives without issue. It's a pretty edge case to be needing 4+GBps bandwidth from more than two NVMe drives at once, after all. If you do need it, you're probably doing something money-making off it, at which point everyone wants you to upgrade to "professional" expensive stuff. Or sacrifice GPU performance and shove your multi-NVMe card into the CPU 16x slot, I suppose.

On the other hand, if they actually implement PCIe 5 in a 2022 desktop board, that would be a lot of bandwidth even off the PCH.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Llamadeus posted:

Apparently the 5000 series hype cycle managed to sell a bunch of XT CPUs for AMD

The 3600XT was pretty heavily discounted last month. I got mine for the same price as the X, just about ten bucks more then the regular 3600 at that time. Figure I'll use it for a couple years and upgrade to a 5900X when those are being phased out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Meanwhile Microcenter just restocked the r5 3600 for the low low price of.... $199.

And I'm going to have to buy one because apparently I'm terrible at fixing bent pins :smithicide:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Meanwhile Microcenter just restocked the r5 3600 for the low low price of.... $199.

And I'm going to have to buy one because apparently I'm terrible at fixing bent pins :smithicide:

:(

How did the pins get bent?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hobbesmaster posted:

I bent some pins when upgrading from a single to dual core Athlon 64 on Socket 939.

I failed to bend them back, ended up breaking them off with a credit card, and that CPU not only worked well for several years after, but overclocked like a champ. I guess I hit all power or ground!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

:(

How did the pins get bent?

I didn’t have the lever down fully when flipping the motherboard to put the backplate on for a cooler.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Literally no idea how but somehow I bent a pin on my 5600x installing it, I almost had a heart attack but very very carefully bent it back and am never, ever taking it out again thank you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CFox posted:

It's a total crapshoot but I think most laptops are going with a certain amount of soldered memory and then having one DIMM slot for you to put in another stick. I'd wager the laptop you're talking about has 8GB soldered memory and one stick of 8gb now.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 8GB is soldered in place. I'm hoping the non-soldered 8GB will be a match and run dual-channel, but I guess we'll see. :shrug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 8GB is soldered in place. I'm hoping the non-soldered 8GB will be a match and run dual-channel, but I guess we'll see. :shrug:

Irony time: The Zephyrus G14 (the more expensive of Asus Ryzen ROG laptops) DOES have one of the sticks soldered to the board, and one open DIMM slot. So you can only upgrade to 24GB max, and only in Single Channel if the sticks don't match.

The cheaper Asus ROG 506IV/506IU with the Ryzen 7 4800H has two DIMM slots, so you can do up to 64GB of Dual Channel SODIMM, plus 2 M2 slots and a 2.5" SATA bay.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I didn’t have the lever down fully when flipping the motherboard to put the backplate on for a cooler.

Stories like this make me paranoid about building a PC :ohdear:

Is it possible to dremel down the pins enough to the point where it'll go in the socket, and yet still be deep enough to connect? Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they didnt bend because they were too long, its not a problem a dremel can fix. Its a not dropping poo poo problem