Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
While you make pretty speeches
I'm being cut to shreds
You feed me to the lions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
shanley 2020 imo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

etalian posted:

Also Stalin curb stomping ended their false hope that the USSR would score them a better deal.

It still perplexes me that they held out hope for Soviet mediation as long as they did. I mean sure, a drowning man grasps at what straws he can, but even then they should have been able to see how the wind was blowing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I mean right up intel reports start coming in of massive troop movements to the border it wasn't unreasonable to assume the soviets didn't want another war

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys, al gore is running in 2020

i would vote for him

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Daenerys comes off as kinda dumb and entitled in the books but the depth of understanding most people have of her character in the show is "yaaaas slay kween" and the show writers are just kind of running with that

She is currently losing badly against Cersei but it's more Tyrion's fault

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Office Pig posted:

i would vote for him

Al Gore gives off a sort of Venom Snake "I've learned my lesson" vibe which is cool but I have no idea what any of his policy stances are besides climate change

Honestly an Al Gore presidency making climate change an actual priority would be nice but I dunno if he'd fix anything else

Also I'm on my phone rn and my phone's first predictive text suggestion after I type "Al" is "Giordano" so maybe I post itt too much

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Al Gore gives off a sort of Venom Snake "I've learned my lesson" vibe which is cool but I have no idea what any of his policy stances are besides climate change

Honestly an Al Gore presidency making climate change an actual priority would be nice but I dunno if he'd fix anything else

Also I'm on my phone rn and my phone's first predictive text suggestion after I type "Al" is "Giordano" so maybe I post itt too much

he's actually come out in favor of single-payer and has been telling the party to do the smart thing and go along with it, futile though it is

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

deadgoon posted:

shanley 2020 imo

Signature healthcare reform: I dunno just have men buy healthcare for every woman they know, that'd solve it enough

Of course they can afford it, they're men. Forced suicide if they can't.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they still realized they lost, they just wanted to lose on their terms up until two cities were vaporized and Manchuria was lost

2020 is going to be the second nuke, hopefully not literally tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Al Gore might actually work, still a well known name, established enough that the centrists in theory can't complain, and by the standards of modern Democrats he's a masterful orator.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Book Daenerys is even worse than in the show in terms of being an obvious idiot but Clinton is closer to being Stannis (who is also even more of a moron in the books)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Agnosticnixie posted:

Book Daenerys is even worse than in the show in terms of being an obvious idiot but Clinton is closer to being Stannis (who is also even more of a moron in the books)

I have the opposite opinion of book stannis vs show stannis but I agree that Hillary is absolutely 100% stannis

My go-to Bernie comparison is Robb but Renly might work better

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/emmaogreen/status/894231267725725696

:wth: the hillarymen are gonna morph into a religious cult with dread abuela leading lmfao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Scent of Worf posted:

https://twitter.com/emmaogreen/status/894231267725725696

:wth: the hillarymen are gonna morph into a religious cult with dread abuela leading lmfao

CC will be the first deacon of this new church

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

A candidate whose stated priority was climate change would get a good long look from me, to be honest.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
reminder the person doing post-election media tours definitely isn't running again

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/zachheltzel/status/893569315198214144
https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/894252048618803204
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/893651029740441600

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Office Pig posted:

i would vote for him

A divorced president? Think of the scandals! The family values crew won't hear of it

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

reminder the person doing post-election media tours definitely isn't running again

At this point her support is so thin even amongst establishment people I'm not afraid of her running

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Losing the primary would be the final straw to many brains.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

could zuckerburg just pay each and every independent like $500 directly? obv he wouldn't say the cash is quid pro quo for their votes but he could couch/equivocate it somehow, right?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

ThndrShk2k posted:

I like how there's so many articles with question headlines that can be simply answered "no"

Would Bernie Have Won?

:smug:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

A president whos serious about climate change would be deeply hated by the democrat establishment because im fairly certain the the only thing that could do much would be a serious of HEAVY carbon taxes and a research/engineering program that would make the manhattan project look like a theatre grant.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Everyone forgets that election turnout was the lowest in years for 2016. Which doesn't really help Hillary's case given Obama won by landslides.

Turnout was higher in 2016 than it was in 2012. The graph you saw was made by an idiot who compared the numbers before all the votes were in for the 2016 elections to the total number of votes in past elections.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tunicate posted:

Turnout was higher in 2016 than it was in 2012. The graph you saw was made by an idiot who compared the numbers before all the votes were in for the 2016 elections to the total number of votes in past elections.

Oh, fair enough.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

I still want an answer to the question how we can have an legitimate election when the only two possibly electable candidates were chosen by just around 15% of the voting population.

Oh, I'm sorry I misheard. Give me Arby's sauce with that combo, not horsey sauce; I'm not Mike Pence.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Reverend Dr posted:

I still want an answer to the question how we can have an legitimate election when the only two possibly electable candidates were chosen by just around 15% of the voting population.

Oh, I'm sorry I misheard. Give me Arby's sauce with that combo, not horsey sauce; I'm not Mike Pence.

mandatory voting

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

we are approaching levels of unintentional irony I never thought possible. Ironicat cannot grow large enough.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Abel Wingnut posted:

could zuckerburg just pay each and every independent like $500 directly? obv he wouldn't say the cash is quid pro quo for their votes but he could couch/equivocate it somehow, right?

Throw a party at every polling place

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

depressing post I came across on DU:

quote:

Both houses of CA legislature have passed bills allowing the governor to move the 2020 primary from June to March. Each bill specified a different day in March, so the bills need to be conferenced, a date agreed to and then that bill must pass both houses before heading to Gov Brown for signature.

CA would be the third primary held, right after Iowa and NH.

I have to think this would be extremely advantageous to Kamala Harris if she decides to run. CA is a huge prize in delegates for anyone who does well here.

If the legislature approves this and the governor signs it, it could well push Harris or any number of Californians into running to take advantage of the favorite son/daughter status that comes with the territory. It might also give a real shot to a more-moderate R candidate, who would benefit from taking positions that are more in line with CA's liberal identity than the conservative identity found in states like Iowa.

More important, CA is such a huge prize in delegates that anyone who wins here - D or R - would have a huge early lead that could dramatically change the entire primary dynamic, as donors and voters move to the winner. We could know both candidates very early on in the process.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm not sure which is worse: allowing southern states to determine the dem candidate or allowing CA dems to determine the dem candidate.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

As a West Coast bae, moving anything of national significance West of the Mississippi is hella good

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm not sure which is worse: allowing southern states to determine the dem candidate or allowing CA dems to determine the dem candidate.

CA is the 2nd most progressive state so strategically you want it to be as early and important as possible. Kamala might benefit to some degree but overall it would be a very good change. She's not exactly the state's hero.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we need to dramatically shorten our absurdly long election seasons, it's crazy that the primary lasts six months and the campaigning is nearly a full year

two months for the primary, two months for the general election imo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm aware that a shorter primary campaign would be a stifling influence on candidates like bernie and other outside-track voices and messages, but trump wouldn't have had the faintest shot of winning if the election was four months long instead of 17 loving months long

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

this will never happen because electioneering is a profitable industry now for everyone involved, even at the cost of the country's psychic health

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I am conflicted, because I don't think Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada alone should determine the final three primary contenders left in the race, but imagine the 2008 primary with California providing more "forward momentum" to Clinton :x

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

we need to dramatically shorten our absurdly long election seasons, it's crazy that the primary lasts six months and the campaigning is nearly a full year

two months for the primary, two months for the general election imo

I agree.

I like the idea of a total of 4 primary dates, if it were possible to make them pretty much equal in number of total delegates. Then again, dems have those stupid superdelegates who tilt the race on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

this will never happen because electioneering is a profitable industry now for everyone involved, even at the cost of the country's psychic health

it's also not really enforceable while citizens united and pacs exist

• Locked thread