Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Joe Don Baker should have been Bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder when we're going to get a Chitty Chitty Bang Bang reboot.

...Roald Dahl Cinematic Universe.

I can't believe I've gone this long in life without knowing Roald Dahl co-wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Might have to actually watch it now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chris Pistols posted:

I can't believe I've gone this long in life without knowing Roald Dahl co-wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Might have to actually watch it now.

Iam Fleming wrote the original book, but Roald Dahl worked on the screenplay and it really showed. He also wrote You Only Live Twice's screenplay, though reportedly he didn't really have a lot of freedom with it due to the Bond formula mandated by the studio.

Bond strikes me as a guy who doesn't really like kids, but they think he's hilarious.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oompa loompa doompa-dee-durd
Vodka martini, shaken not stirred

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iam Fleming wrote the original book, but Roald Dahl worked on the screenplay and it really showed. He also wrote You Only Live Twice's screenplay, though reportedly he didn't really have a lot of freedom with it due to the Bond formula mandated by the studio.

Bond strikes me as a guy who doesn't really like kids, but they think he's hilarious.

Dahl actually hated the book of You Only Live Twice and engaged in substantial changes. Chitty is likewise an extremely different book set in a relatively mundane world other than the flying car, with the villains being London gangsters trying to rob the safe of a candy store. It ends with a fudge recipe and includes a scene where Chitty changes into a boat and they have to navigate the wrecks off Goodwin Sands in a dense fog before stumbling onto the villains' hideout and deciding "Let's use their gelignite to blow it all up!"

It contains a surprisingly thorough description of military demolitions for a kid's book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Dahl actually hated the book of You Only Live Twice and engaged in substantial changes. Chitty is likewise an extremely different book set in a relatively mundane world other than the flying car, with the villains being London gangsters trying to rob the safe of a candy store. It ends with a fudge recipe and includes a scene where Chitty changes into a boat and they have to navigate the wrecks off Goodwin Sands in a dense fog before stumbling onto the villains' hideout and deciding "Let's use their gelignite to blow it all up!"

It contains a surprisingly thorough description of military demolitions for a kid's book.

That sounds about right for the author of the James Bond books trying his hand at a children's story. Mind you, I can imagine kids getting a kick out of the explosives.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/baraGodzilla/status/1258682943716782080

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/cheezit/status/1255607480379457538?s=21

Lame, boring, we can do better

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

Oh my god, I looked it up and it's actually real! Comments are conspicuously turned off for that ad on Youtube.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't remember, but did John Travolta cop any poo poo for playing the Divine role in the Hairspray musical movie? Is Sean Hayes copping any poo poo for his new movie Lazy Susan?

idk about those two specifically but i wasn't paying attention to trans stuff in 2007 bc i didn't realize it was relevant to my life and this is literally the first time i've ever heard of this lazy susan movie. i know there was online backlash against eddie redmayne in the danish girl and jared leto in dallas buyers club from the same people who were upset about scarlett johansen, it's not at all an issue of "people only complain about a woman doing it and let men do it" thing if that's what you wanted to find out

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Doggles posted:

Oh my god, I looked it up and it's actually real! Comments are conspicuously turned off for that ad on Youtube.

They're trying to figure out the best angle to play "we meant to do that" before hiding behind the clarion cry of every mediocre anything-- "well you're paying attention aren't you?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Why wasn't this a Superbowl ad you cowards

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/pftompkins/status/848982344111280130?s=21

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Suddenly I'm reminded that one of my Transformers toys is officially licensed with them.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't remember, but did John Travolta cop any poo poo for playing the Divine role in the Hairspray musical movie?

All I really remember is Christopher Walken talking about how sexy he thought Travolta looked in the fat-suit.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Doggles posted:

To be fair, if they didn’t, the comments complaining about how men can invent things too and how unfair it is that girls got a million dollars would outnumber those calling Hasbro on their bullshit like five to one. It is YouTube after all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:lmao:
I didn't think the payoff could possibly be worth it, but it was.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Holy poo poo
Even with the hints in the thread my prediction was so far off, what the gently caress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sweeperbravo posted:

Holy poo poo
Even with the hints in the thread my prediction was so far off, what the gently caress

Yeah I was expecting it to be an ad for an ISP or something of that nature that could be stretched into relevance.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
apparently the full commercial has there being literal money in the monopoly boxes b/c it's a commercial for grants they're giving away to kids but i didn't bother actually digging it up to confirm

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It's hard not to hear a barely masked disappointed sarcasm in the girl's voice when she reads the box at the end

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Meanwhile the original idea was stolen from a woman by a man who claimed it was his own and twisting her intent in the process. Amazingly, not acknowledged in this new product at all!

Edit: the full ad makes omitting the genuine history even worse!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL has a new favorite as of 12:53 on May 10, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Oh drat, just inject that poo poo

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
there is an extremely long history of the people screaming the most about basically anything having zero idea how it works

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The full version of the ad explains that the game is based on female inventors. And then they say how they are giving the women in this ad a bunch of money to continue developing their own inventions. The full ad makes a lot of sense. The one in the tweet cuts out early.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

you broke my grill posted:

The full version of the ad explains that the game is based on female inventors. And then they say how they are giving the women in this ad a bunch of money to continue developing their own inventions. The full ad makes a lot of sense. The one in the tweet cuts out early.

So there's a concept in journalism called the 'inverted pyramid' that has some theoretical importance here.

Basically, when writing 'breaking news' stories (less relevant for features and the like), you need to structure the story from the most important details first, and then every single sentence provides gradually less important information. You can't assume that an audience reading the news will actually be there for the whole thing, so you need to structure so that no matter where an audience drops off, they 'get it'. You saw a similar sort of concept in online advertising once skipping ads became commonplace (but before them being able to say 'gently caress you, watch our whole lovely ad' also became commonplace): they'd cram the important details into the first five seconds, because you can't guarantee that someone will watch anything after that.

This ad shows exactly why it's a mistake not to keep that concept in mind; the tone of and response to the ad changes COMPLETELY if they tune out the moment they see what the ad is for, so even if it theoretically picks right back up afterwards, it takes a huge hit from people going 'oh gently caress this' the moment they see 'Ms. Monopoly' on the screen.

I would've gone with either having the name somehow come up really quickly, so you know immediately who it's for, or to back-load it even further, structure it like 'here's some rad girls, we gave them money, here's who we are'.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Wasn't Monopoly itself a game invented by a woman, then stolen by a man who then proceeded to make bank off it?

fake edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Landlord%27s_Game

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And the BOSS on her cup, it's perfect.

clap clap more female investment gurus

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"Mr. Monopoly's niece" "self-made"

Really confirms how much of a prick Mr. Monopoly is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's her own description, she actually got three condos from her family when she turned 18

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mierenneuker posted:

"Mr. Monopoly's niece" "self-made"

Really confirms how much of a prick Mr. Monopoly is.

They actually forgot the hyphen in “self-made” and it is bugging me way more than it should.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Self-made means she personally selected the stock and font for her business cards, or at least personally called a PA to do that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Even Scrooge McDuck canonically doesn't give his nephews poo poo except maybe room and board, and it shows.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The girls in the ad dream of science and invention, of making the world a better place through their works. Ms. Monopoly is naturally a venture capitalist, buying and selling these efforts in a real-life game of Monopoly until those hopes and dreams are crushed and distilled to be sold at fire-sale prices, intellectual property and trade secrets floating away like dust in the wind.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

The girls in the ad dream of science and invention, of making the world a better place through their works. Ms. Monopoly is naturally a venture capitalist, buying and selling these efforts in a real-life game of Monopoly until those hopes and dreams are crushed and distilled to be sold at fire-sale prices, intellectual property and trade secrets floating away like dust in the wind.

(IT'S ABOUT TIME.)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Local bar made a post a few hours ago showing off customers on their patio, but it didn't quite get the reaction they were going for so they removed everything under the Mother's Day line and deleted all the negative comments. I still had the post open in another tab so I managed to screenshot it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

d3lness posted:

The James Bond IP is the Final Fantasy of movies. I'm going to regret posting this because now we're going to see riled up FF fans.

Diamonds Are Forever Remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I know it's the M for monopoly on her earring. But I keep thinking it is an upside down ₩ for Won. The Korean currency.

Which makes sense, as she is a capitalist, so would have jewelry made after money, she is a millenial so she would blatantly culturally appropriate, and she is the silver spooned relative of a rich old white man, so she is stupid as gently caress and wears it upside down.

It is indeed a good and normal thing I have done by analyzing the jewelry of lesser board game characters, and not at all stupid or pointless.