Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Pacra posted:

For a 15-skill captain for cruisers, assuming you're working up the line to a Zao captain, it is:

Tier 1 : Basics of Survivability
Tier 2: Expert Marksman OR Incoming Fire Alert
Tier 3: Vigilance
Tier 4: Advanced Firing Training OR Demolition Expert
Tier 5: Concealment Expert

Also if you are indeed working towards Zao, BoS on Tier 1 is useless because Zaos should not be getting shot at enough for it to matter. Tbh I think it's useless for all Cruisers.

BFT helps your secondaries and also helps the Zaos pretty anemic AA. Adding AFT makes the AA very good. CV captains see Zaos as easy targets compared to Des Moines and Hindenburg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

In addition, Zao doesn't really have a good consumable option to replace Defensive Fire, since its Hydroacoustic consumable is the lovely one, as opposed to the one German ships get. Might as well boost its effectiveness for those times when you do run into high tier CVs by taking BFT.

Similarly, might as well take AFT, for the same reason. Also, you already have a 19% chance of fire per shell with the Zao's guns. In theory at least, the 3% boost from Demolition Expert really shouldn't be that important. Not that it is impossible that WG has somehow hosed the coding of Demolition Expert to make it far more effective than it should be, but purely by what is listed it shouldn't really be that big of a boost.

Superintendent I'm generally going to favor over Vigilance on virtually any ship, let alone a cruiser. Especially since Zao already has a rather good rudder to dodge with, and you generally aren't going to be the first ship the torpedoes reach anyways, since you don't want to be the front line if you can help it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Was sitting i smoke trying to cap in my Tashkent recently when I heard the ominous torpedo warning. I couldn't see anything but then 3 torps slammed into me from behind from a friendly Fubuki. He's certainly been on a roll recently:

https://eu.warships.today/player/501138106/__Panzermeyer__

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 13, 2016

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So is the game in a final public test? I guess there will be another wipe on live launch?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Asproigerosis posted:

So is the game in a final public test? I guess there will be another wipe on live launch?

The game has been live for like a year. They have a test server for new patches before they put them on the main servers. They'd get loving literally murdered if they did another wipe.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh. Heh my mistake. I haven't paid much attention and after seeing warthunder's reveal of .50 cal coast guard naval warfare figured I'd crawl back to wargaming.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There were 8 tech tree branches at launch, and we're about to get our 12th in German battleships. It's a decent time to start, but if you use this link to make an account, or enter it any time before you reach rank 3, you get a free tier 2 premium cruiser now, and then when you reach tier 6 and play one battle in one, you get a $30 premium battleship, 3 million credits, 80k free xp, and a bunch of signal flags and I also get 3 million credits, signal flags, camo, and a port slot :v:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

kaesarsosei posted:

Also if you are indeed working towards Zao, BoS on Tier 1 is useless because Zaos should not be getting shot at enough for it to matter. Tbh I think it's useless for all Cruisers.

BFT helps your secondaries and also helps the Zaos pretty anemic AA. Adding AFT makes the AA very good. CV captains see Zaos as easy targets compared to Des Moines and Hindenburg.

Personally I think BFT is utterly useless, even on AA CAs. BoS is very, very useful, as it accelerates ALL repairs as well as cutting fire duration by 15%. The last thing you want in a CA, especially one like the Zao, is to need to burn a repair for a fire or rudder crit, then get lit on fire again and have your concealment blown, or rudder/engine knocked out by a fuckin torp drop/dive bomber and watch your ship drift helplessly into a Yamato/Montana broadside. BoS lets you save your damage control on the important stuff, while you can let repair party handle the fires, since they're burning for less time and doing less damage.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
I've been away from this game for almost a year, and would like to know which tier 10s are worth pursuing.

I still remember the horrible shotgun shells from Colorado...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Kresher posted:

I've been away from this game for almost a year, and would like to know which tier 10s are worth pursuing.

I'm still at tier 7, but popular opinion holds that only Montana... and Shimakaze, I think? are bad, and then everything else ranges from situational Des Moines to God-King Yamato, though nobody but supertesters have gotten their hands on Grosser Kurfürst yet.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Kresher posted:

From personal experience, Khabarovsk, the soviet DD. But I can't imagine it staying unnerfed...

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why's the first soviet ship a 1941 design?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Kresher posted:

The Colorado did get some buffs several months ago, I found it to be pretty solid and even had a 200k dmg game in it. Accuracy about as good as the Nagato, and you have strong AA and an awesome healing skill to counter the lower max HP of the hull.

Right now I agree the most overpowered tier 10 is the Russian DD Khabarovsk. Worst of all, I just got one, which usually means it gets nerfed in the next patch, which is what happened when I got the Zao (hp reduction), Yamato (heal nerfed), and Shimakaze (long range torps neutered).

The tier 10 Russian cruiser Moskva is also considered to be pretty good, but I think a lot of the ships on the way there are pretty mediocre and can be frustrating to play. If you like the playstyle of American DDs, the 8-9-10 Benson/Fletcher/Gearing are all strong for their tier.

Zao still good at turning battleships into a viking funeral while stealthed from 16k+ away

Right now carriers are fairly uncommon, so ships with excellent AA (Des Moines, Hindenburg) arent quite as good as they were before

Expect the new German BB line to be tough in close range slugfests with other battleships (hard to citadel them horizontally and strong secondaries) but they will be vulnerable at long range (poorly armored decks) and the best torpedo targets around.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Asproigerosis posted:

The tier 1 ships aren't necessarily the oldest, they're basically all gunboats of equivalent size and strength - Eerie is from 1936, Hashidate from 1939, and Hermelin an unbuilt design from 1939.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 13, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Burt posted:

I would never run any DD or CA without last stand as the tier 2 skill, it's saved my arse more times than I can count. I don't think I have ever taken incoming fire alert, it may be useful for stealth ships shooting you but most of the time I know when someone is firing at me.

Last Stand on DDs is mandatory. Last Stand on CA is an option but not necessarily the best option for cruiser play.

BoS is a far better skill for Zaos than BFT. AFT is more often taken than DE, as your proportional increase to your already-great fire chance isn't as good as for something like a russian DD or cruiser.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 13, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
0 for 4 on the Clemson. Just can not get a team to live long enough :( on the upside torping fuckers left and right.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Asproigerosis posted:

The same reason the Erie actually looks more advanced than the first two tiers - they don't want to discourage people at Tier 1 by making them sail around in something that looks straight out of WW1 surplus.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The same reason the Erie actually looks more advanced than the first two tiers - they don't want to discourage people at Tier 1 by making them sail around in something that looks straight out of WW1 surplus.

I don't know how floating around in a titanic looking steamliner with little baby toy guns could possibly deter casuals.

Also what ever situation is HE worth using?

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 13, 2016

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't know how floating around in a titanic looking steamliner with little baby toy guns could possibly deter casuals.

Also what ever situation is HE worth using?

Majority of the time with cruisers and DDs. Only use Cruiser AP on known thin skin targets and broadsides. DDs get to use AP only on thin skinned broadsides. HE is more reliable damage for cruisers and you can truly gently caress people with fires. There are exceptions to this but it's a decent general rule with Japanese and American CAs

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

kaesarsosei posted:

Was sitting i smoke trying to cap in my Tashkent recently when I heard the ominous torpedo warning. I couldn't see anything but then 3 torps slammed into me from behind from a friendly Fubuki. He's certainly been on a roll recently:

https://eu.warships.today/player/501138106/__Panzermeyer__

I'm pretty sure that's the guy who did EXACTLY the same to me last week. Alarm goes, can't see torps, KABOOM!!!!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Speaking of really bad Fubukis, last night I torpedobeated multiple salvoes from a Fubuki in two different games with my battleships. The first time I just kept taunting him because we were winning. The last salvo was at 2km but entirely missed because the Warspite can turn like crazy.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is there a metric for what is a good amount of damage to do? I don't really obsess over stats but I remember in WoT it was often seen as at least decent to match your HP in damage. Does that seem to apply in Warships too?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Is there a metric for what is a good amount of damage to do? I don't really obsess over stats but I remember in WoT it was often seen as at least decent to match your HP in damage. Does that seem to apply in Warships too?

https://na.warships.today/vehicles gives average stats by ship

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Aesis posted:

Version 0.0.2 Alpha of WoWS Fitting Tool is updated. http://wowsssc.ap-northeast-2.elasticbeanstalk.com/
Feed backs regarding functions and server performance are welcome.

Sanity checks when clicking captain skills would probably be a good idea.
Maybe also display # of points used / max points ?
Enforce order of choosing maybe ? You can click a 5 pointer right off the bat
Limit choices to 15 pts. max ? You can click all the skills currently.

It might be a PITA, but some sort of pop-up/mouse-over help for all the skills & equippable mods would be a good idea. Not everyone has all the icons memorized.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So far every single ship I select gives me the panel for the Arkansas Beta.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong thing, meant to quote the fitting tool.

EDIT2: Works fine now.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 14, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SkySteak posted:

I've always gone by a metric of a bare minimum of 1.5x for BBs, 2x for cruisers, and 3-5x for destroyers of my ship's base hitpoints, but I rarely play higher than T5.

Also, given the fragility of DDs, another bare minimum metric should be two kills. One to "pay" for you not being a larger pool of hp, and the second for good measure, the larger the target, the better.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 14, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Pfft, even with all the "nerfs" to CVs, the Hakuryu still sits at top spot in last 2 weeks for damage and boasts a 57% win rate, with a NINE K/D ratio. I guess CVs really ARE dead.

Top performing normal ships in T10? Yamato and Zao... still. Sigh.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Gonna be exciting to see if German BBs shake up the T9 and 10 ranking a bit.

But from the vids I saw so far the Friedrich has no obvious advantages over the Iowa and the Kurfürst (Grand Elector) is just a horribly oversized hog which will be impossible to miss.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Great Elector got buffed to over 100k hp at least.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Good, then we can get more xp from smacking that thing around.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, they made T1 pretty fun, so that was a good design decision. Even if they all only have two guns.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
The grand elector is too drat big. I landed 9 hits on it at 18 km with an Izumo. An secondary build Izumo...

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Gorau posted:

Majority of the time with cruisers and DDs. Only use Cruiser AP on known thin skin targets and broadsides. DDs get to use AP only on thin skinned broadsides. HE is more reliable damage for cruisers and you can truly gently caress people with fires. There are exceptions to this but it's a decent general rule with Japanese and American CAs

Gorau is correct for US and IJN cruisers - I'd like to give some more advice for German CAs and Russian DDs.

For German CAs, you should use AP almost all the time, aiming for superstructure on CAs and BBs and aiming AP at DDs as well. HE is anemic on these ships and with a low fire chance; use it only on fleeing angled BBs that arent taking superstructure hits. The HE sucks against DDs as well, even considering module damage.

When CAs are in range of like 10km and broadside, you can definitely aim for citadels. It's also possible to citadel lightly armored BBs like Fuso. This works best with Konigsberg, Nurnberg; Hipper, Roon, and Hindenburg have better situational HE now. (Kolberg and Karlsruhe are terrible ships that don't count for this and they should be free-XPed ASAP.) Yorck is the exception and should use HE all the time, and AP on CA broadsides only under 10km.

For Russian DDs, you should be using HE at max range on enemy CA and BB superstructure. Take note of them using damage control to stop fires, switch to AP and aim for superstructure for a few salvos, then switch back to HE to start at least one or two fires across the ship, then back to AP on superstructure. Repeat as long as possible. AP to citadel only within 10km or so of CAs, HE to ruin other DD's days.

Note that if a ship is perfect broadside to you, usually citadel location is aiming vertically for waterline. Superstructure location is usually aiming for deck line, correcting horizontally for placement of superstructure, like colorado vs north carolina. Most BBs have a good deal of vulnerable superstructure, with the exception of something like the Nikolai, which is a floating barge made out of stalinium.

Superstructure AP hits will rack up big hits and increase your damage output, as ships are split into four parts, and if any of those parts become saturated with HE and lose most of their assigned HP values, HE will stop doing damage.
You can still shoot AP with US and IJN CAs at superstructure; still a viable tactic if the BB is saturated.

Everyone should shoot HE at DDs with exception of German CAs; also usually BBs will stick with AP because of long reload time, and will only switch if they know only DDs are left or they are expecting an imminent visible DD within a minute.

For CVs, everyone should try to start and stick a fire on the CV first so it cannot launch more planes, then either stick with HE to stack fires as a DD/IJN CA, or AP to rack up damage and citadel the squishier CVs. BBs should just stick with AP to try to oneshot the CV from afar.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

MREBoy posted:

Sanity checks when clicking captain skills would probably be a good idea.
Maybe also display # of points used / max points ?
Enforce order of choosing maybe ? You can click a 5 pointer right off the bat
Limit choices to 15 pts. max ? You can click all the skills currently.

It might be a PITA, but some sort of pop-up/mouse-over help for all the skills & equippable mods would be a good idea. Not everyone has all the icons memorized.

Yeah they're still work in progress. I'm just adding everything first then modifying bit by bit.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
This guy rushed the cap with his Derptiz, died immediately, then blamed his death on having to dodge my destroyer when I was smoke screening him. He threw a big all caps hissy fit. Glorious.

edit: lol outside of premiums his highest tier ship is an Omaha. He hasn't even made it to the New York.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 14, 2016

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I feel like the Kiev is "Do 60~80k damage purely with guns, watch as the rest of your team implodes" incarnate.

Getting top XP without ever capping or torping cements Russian DDs as my favorite CL line, at least. Not to imply that's how you should play, but still.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 14, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ToiletDuckie posted:

I feel like the Kiev is "Do 60~80k damage purely with guns, watch as the rest of your team implodes" incarnate.

Getting top XP without ever capping or torping cements Russian DDs as my favorite CL line, at least. Not to imply that's how you should play, but still.

You should probably cap occasionally. Starting with I think the Tashkent you'll get torps that are vaguely usable. Still, that's pretty much mostly right.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

wdarkk posted:

You should probably cap occasionally. Starting with I think the Tashkent you'll get torps that are vaguely usable. Still, that's pretty much mostly right.

I try to cap as often as possible, particularly in DDs. I meant the comment more in terms of "Holy crap the Kiev is solid" than anything else.

After playing mostly BB/CL for so long, it's just absurd how much damage a few piddly HE shells and understanding that the A and D keys exist can dish out. I need to work on my torp dodging, though, since I've literally turned into torps on my last few deaths.

Edit: By "few piddly HE shells", I mean ~100-200, unless you get annihilated early in a game.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 14, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a good guide to sky cancer out there? I have no idea when to manual drop, when to not manual drop, etc. I get that my fighters should either be scouting or going after other planes, and I get that if there are fighters on my bomber / torpedo squad's tail I want to set courses to get that squad over to the fighters to clear them up. At least, I think I am. But the rest of it is a mystery. I just started playing the Langley today, but I'm not at the point where I feel comfortable playing PvP with it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a good guide to sky cancer out there? I have no idea when to manual drop, when to not manual drop, etc. I get that my fighters should either be scouting or going after other planes, and I get that if there are fighters on my bomber / torpedo squad's tail I want to set courses to get that squad over to the fighters to clear them up. At least, I think I am. But the rest of it is a mystery. I just started playing the Langley today, but I'm not at the point where I feel comfortable playing PvP with it yet.

I'm terrible at carriers, but basically: Always manual drop. Torps, Diver Bombers, whatever.

Fighters have a useful/game-y gimmick: as long as one is alive, it applies the same "oh poo poo" extra dispersion to enemy planes as a full squad. So, if you're in a situation where you're left with one fighter versus a strike load out CV, it may be worth it to just pester their planes. Same applies if you're in a dual CV game currently.

On a related note, one fighter can arguably screw over 2-3 attack flights if you target them independently/long enough to get the dispersion and switch targets. That's spectacularly frustrating at times.