Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The big question is: WILL IT START AT EXACTLY 0 DEGREES CELCIUS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The big question is: WILL IT START AT EXACTLY 0 DEGREES CELCIUS?

my drooling would defrost it if not.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
^It's London, there'll be a burning bookies somewhere in that hellscape for you to warm it surely?

Detail I didn't notice at first which I really like - the little line of metal leading to a reflective plate on the back of the mirrors.

Safety Dance posted:

It has a side stand, turn signals, and a license plate holder too. It's obviously a road-going version of a race bike. Who's to say the passenger pegs aren't for a passenger?

Anyone over 9, whose kneecaps would be in their ribcage. Look at the distance from pegs to where they're meant to sit!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wootcannon posted:

Detail I didn't notice at first which I really like - the little line of metal leading to a reflective plate on the back of the mirrors.

I think thats just glare from the camera flash running up the mirrors.

Also lol if you think those rear pegs are for the rider.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
When I got the 690 SMC the dealer handed me a bag with the passenger pegs and grab rails.

"It comes with these, we're meant to fit them but..."
We both turn and look at the bike
"Yeah so here they are."

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Same, but mine said they left them off because you have to drill holes and their is no return if the owner doesn't want them. Never did put them on. Only bike I've seen the grab handles on is Gullous's.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that a 550-four?

Whatever it is, it's a sexy little thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

Same, but mine said they left them off because you have to drill holes and their is no return if the owner doesn't want them. Never did put them on. Only bike I've seen the grab handles on is Gullous's.

About the only real gripe I have with the Shiver's design is that it's an amazingly major job to remove the pillion pegs and grabrail (the former are on the same structure as the rider's pegs, the latter holds the number plate holder in place. There's a really nicely-made cowl available to cover the pillion seat but nothing looks weirder than a single-seat conversion with the pegs and grabrail still in place.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

You have to remove the grabrail on mine to get to the electrics bay. The problem is, the grabrail fits snugly. So snugly, in fact, that you'll forget you didn't screw the bolts back in when you take it for a spirited shakedown ride...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I hate those 550s, but drat that's a loving fairing right there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Yeah, that's absolutely gorgeous. That's one of the first customs I've seen where it looks like they actually thought about the entire bike as a whole before they started designing it. The shape of the fairing recalls the shape of the tank, which recalls the shape of the tail...all the angles match and the seams line up and the proportions are spot-on. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some professional designers working in the background.

Need pictures of it from more angles though.

e: aww goddamnit there are no pictures from other angles, because it's a Photoshop rendering. A phenomenal rendering, but that fairing doesn't actually exist in three dimensions. Here's the original (it's a CB400F, btw)

and here's a big version of the rendered one

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 13, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Also I found this. Is a trike still for losers if it looks impossible to steer and it still falls over at stoplights?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:staredog: Would drive

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

Is that a 550-four?

Whatever it is, it's a sexy little thing.

I think it's a 400F.

edit: poo poo sagebrush beat me.

There's something about the 400 and that slant on the tank. I feel like every other slant on the bike must be at the same or opposing angle to it.
It disturbs my dreams.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 13, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

Also I found this. Is a trike still for losers if it looks impossible to steer and it still falls over at stoplights?

I would love to see how the chain(s) on that thing is(are) arranged.

e: double plus if the rear wheels were independently articulated.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wootcannon posted:

P sure those are the front turn signals

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I hate those 550s, but drat that's a loving fairing right there.

It bothers me more than it should that the rear hub isn't shiny like the rest of the bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Engine case isn't very shiny either.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VHaQeY88po

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

P sure those are the front turn signals
That is loving awesome.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think there's a human being who could get their legs onto those pillion pegs from a riding position - bear in mind that bike is about the same size as your 125. They're pillion pegs, but the tiny size of the seat and lack of grabrail makes me think that only a naked person who was *extremely* scared would be able to stay on.
Well, that's me sorted for Pride this year.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 13, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, that's absolutely gorgeous. That's one of the first customs I've seen where it looks like they actually thought about the entire bike as a whole before they started designing it. The shape of the fairing recalls the shape of the tank, which recalls the shape of the tail...all the angles match and the seams line up and the proportions are spot-on. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some professional designers working in the background.

That reminded me of of how my SRX's oil tank (somewhat) mirrored the shape of the frame, so I went looking for a picture and discover that apparently at some point a chunk had fallen out of an intake boot

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

tt.gif

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

God that's incredible, to go that fast around a blind corner with a dip in the road.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, loving-nope-never to the max

Reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpH-NvXgqfQ

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

God that's incredible, to go that fast around a blind corner with a dip in the road.

One of my favourite parts of the course to ride through, at a sane speed though. I might try to spectate down there this year if they don't restrict it. It's supposed to be a great place to watch from but you pretty much get stuck down there for the whole day, with nothing near by.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The tt.gif guys are riding a closed course on which they've probably run numerous practice laps, they have a pretty good idea of what's around the corner and have that dip felt out pretty well.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

clutchpuck posted:

The tt.gif guys are riding a closed course on which they've probably run numerous practice laps, they have a pretty good idea of what's around the corner and have that dip felt out pretty well.

And people still die pretty regularly.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sure do, what's the average, like 2 per year? Mostly, though, I was commenting on the comparison of that to the public road "squid hunting" video. There isn't much in common between them besides, you know, motorcycles.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The guy in the squid hunting video commuted that road every day for several years so he has a pretty good understanding of it too though

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
While that may be true, the unknown risks on a public road with two-way traffic strike me as considerably more numerous than on a closed course, all traffic professional riders, going the same direction, with radio-equipped marshals at trackside to relay information.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, loving-nope-never to the max

Reminds me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpH-NvXgqfQ

drat that guy's good but what a jerk. His stupid manifesto pretty much sums up to "only I'm allowed to be fast, don't even try".

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

drat that guy's good but what a jerk. His stupid manifesto pretty much sums up to "only I'm allowed to be fast, don't even try".

There's a lot to his story - he ended up really, really loving himself up 3 times on 9, the last accident left him with pretty severe brain damage and problems.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

He had problems and brain damage before ever crashing. Do you know the extent of his injuries from getting caught in a tree at 100mph or whatever?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

He had problems and brain damage before ever crashing. Do you know the extent of his injuries from getting caught in a tree at 100mph or whatever?

There's a point where it's just always the same laundry list. Internal bleeding, ruptured xyz, broken zyx, bleeding from the eyes and nose, etc.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqoVVwZuTEU

I still want this to be a thing so badly.

...and maybe a few of these:

I can't even imagine how often this thing would snap chains.

V8 honda?

yes.

this blows

believe it or not these motors really are happier bouncing off the redline than loafing at 3-4000rpm.

two CBX motors mated at the crank.

one of the many iterations of this bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rotorcycle

Apex seals be damned, I would ride one every day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Xovaan posted:

The guy in the squid hunting video commuted that road every day for several years so he has a pretty good understanding of it too though

Yeah that's pretty evident when he sets his lean angle over tight and early for a turn and hits 3 apexes perfectly.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

not gonna lie despite him being insane and physically and mentally disabled I'm still kind of jealous. Mostly because I live on that road. But I will say that every weekend you'll hear a pack of bikes and an hour later an ambulance, so it's a pretty good reminder to never even try

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Xovaan posted:

not gonna lie despite him being insane and physically and mentally disabled I'm still kind of jealous. Mostly because I live on that road. But I will say that every weekend you'll hear a pack of bikes and an hour later an ambulance, so it's a pretty good reminder to never even try

It's him though. He is the squid. He is made of irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still want this to be a thing so badly.

Why have I never heard of this before and why are they not making it. Why.