Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

like how do they imagine this conversation is gonna go

guy: sex with me??

victim: no

guy: [900 page screed about vagina science]

victim: good point, coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Google_Comms/status/967565083994816512

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/magazine/the-case-against-google.html

good longform article about antitrust law and how antitrust actions can be super valuable even if they don’t end up actually breaking up the company

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
we did it again

https://gsuite.google.com/products/chat/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
old news, but someone is finally making those android feature phones

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

thats a weird way to describe "selling 4 year old phones as new phones still, but it's updated"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

thats a weird way to describe "selling 4 year old phones as new phones still, but it's never updated"

yeah they decided to not go with "android business as usual" for some reason

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lmfao

it's still baffling how Google had online chat in the bag, everyone used it, normals knew what "G-chat" was, great clients on many platforms and then google flushed it all down the toilet and made a half dozen competing terrible apps and lost out bigly to Snapchat, FB chat, iMessage, etc

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ohhh that's a slack ripoff my bad.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

more chat apps for the chat gods

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is there a single Slack clone that uses a native desktop client?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

nobody makes native desktop apps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

that would require actual work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

teams has native apps

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

teams has native apps

this is gonna break your heart, but those are web wrappers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hangouts has been around for years though?

or is hangouts chat not compatible with legacy hangouts?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The_Franz posted:

or is hangouts chat not compatible with legacy hangouts?

haha what do you think

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the entire reason slack is so good is because it's written in javascript with modern webdev tools

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

this is gonna break your heart, but those are web wrappers

there are some bad parts to it yes but a lot of it is native.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

akadajet posted:

the entire reason slack is so good is because it's written in javascript with modern webdev tools

please don't use irony around me

slack is a massive RAM hog, and it's javascript tech stack are far from unique

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

there are some bad parts to it yes but a lot of it is native.

it uses electron, just like everything else. it's native as much as everything else that uses electron is native, no more.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

akadajet posted:

the entire reason slack is so slow is because it's written in javascript with modern webdev tools

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it uses node which means parts of it are pretty slow but theres some non node stuff in there too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Last Chance posted:

Google had online chat in the bag, everyone used it, normals knew what "G-chat" was

this never happened lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's never been an instant messaging standard

at least back in the 90s and early 2000s you only had 2 or 3 to worry about: AIM, ICQ and maybe MSN messenger. my friends and i all used icq and transitioned to msn -- AIM wasn't a thing in canada

then all of those went to poo poo for one reason or another but google chat was right there to pick up the slack and it was awesome. worked in a browser or with a third-party client, fast, light, all you needed was a gmail address. everyone i knew was using that until the moment they killed it in favor of hangouts, which is terrible.

now it's a total trash fire. among the people i regularly talk to,

two only use hangouts
two only use whatsapp
one uses whatsapp or hangouts seemingly at random
one only uses instagram
two only use SMS messages
one only uses steam chat
one only uses skype
and a bunch more keep bugging me to use facebook but i won't.

it's horseshit and i hate it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
remember how icq and aim networks were merged for like a decade that was pretty neat

again tho, no idea where yall are getting the idea that gchat was totally used by everyone unless you just mean in the context of "well you use gmail, so theoretically you have it"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

at least back in the 90s and early 2000s you only had 2 or 3 to worry about : AIM, ICQ and maybe MSN messenger. my friends and i all used icq and transitioned to msn -- AIM wasn't a thing in canada

then all of those went to poo poo for one reason or another but google chat was right there to pick up the slack and it was awesome. worked in a browser or with a third-party client, fast, light, all you needed was a gmail address. everyone i knew was using that until the moment they killed it in favor of hangouts, which is terrible.

now it's a total trash fire. among the people i regularly talk to,

two only use hangouts
two only use whatsapp
one uses whatsapp or hangouts seemingly at random
one only uses instagram
two only use SMS messages
one only uses steam chat
one only uses skype
and a bunch more keep bugging me to use facebook but i won't.

a lot of my friends are migrating over to discord now

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Time is ripe for another trillian to unite the chat clients

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

xmpp was probably the closest thing when google talk was still an open platform, but google kiboshed that in favor of making talk/hangouts proprietary

Sagebrush posted:

one only uses steam chat

lol

Sagebrush posted:

:same:

thankfully, aside from imessage, viber is the only one i very occasionally use to talk to relatives overseas who lack iphones, but aside from that it's "no, i'm not installing whatever goofy messenger you use. just send me a text"

not long ago i also discovered that whatsapp will still list you as an active user even if you uninstalled it some time ago and haven't logged in since. to be delisted you have to dig through some menus and delete your account before uninstalling it. i only learned this about a month ago after someone sent me several messages and thought i was ignoring them. when they showed me whatsapp on their phone it still showed me as an active user even though it's been quite a while since i briefly tried and uninstalled it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

but slack isn't slow :confused:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

slack is so bad and slow it has a dedicated "restart the app" hotkey

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it’s insane how much resources slack uses for what it does. it doesn’t matter that much if your computer isn’t a toaster but still wtf. billions of dollars for continuing to exist and being less bad than the alternatives is ridiculous but good for them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google's toxic culture lead to constant sexual harassment, news at 11

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

but slack isn't slow :confused:

the fact that you can't tell really says a lot about your opinions here in the pos

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

at least back in the 90s and early 2000s you only had 2 or 3 to worry about : AIM, ICQ and maybe MSN messenger. my friends and i all used icq and transitioned to msn -- AIM wasn't a thing in canada

even while they were all poo poo you could get a handful of clients that would talk to all of them at once while making the experience only marginally shittier

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
im never standardizing was a tragedy of the commons. if your userbase was smaller than your competitor's, you really wanted to federate. if yours was bigger, you would never want to.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
haha google releasing another chat client

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Celexi posted:

haha google releasing another chat client
well it has been almost three months since their last one

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I just tried it and it is pretty cool, it stays stuck at:

and opens my google account page in chrome for unknown reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
High quality icons:

• Locked thread