Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Looks like it's 5.46 million cbills and 72800 XP per individual mech to master them now. This is down from the previous PTS's 9.1m cbills and 136500 XP. Mastering a variant on live, right now, costs 57750 XP. That's still a shitload of cbills and also dumb as hell.

You can remove any node for free, with no refund. Rebuying that node later only costs 400XP (and apparently zero c-bills).

Weapons are now collapsed into one tree, rather than being split per weapon type. The tree still has weapon-specific nodes like laser duration, UAC jam chance, missile spread, etc. but basic things like range and cooldown are shared among all your weapons.

Likewise, Upper and Lower Torso Mobility trees are combined and condensed.

Survival has more nodes with less effect per node. Same for Operations; I can't even remember what Ops did and I kinda don't care.

Auxiliary is getting a complete rework, and may not be done being reworked. Multiple uses of consumables were mentioned.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

quote:

While the various Firepower Skill Branches were intended to provide players with a similar analogue to the Module system, the distinct Branches overwhelmingly favored single-weapon Loadouts and provided ‘Mechs suited to that configuration with a significant number of Skill Points to invest elsewhere.
And they needed the community to tell them. :pgi:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

And they needed the community to tell them. :pgi:

I enjoyed that various people, myself included, noticed that instantly the moment they put out the very first announcement about the skill tree. It's one of those things that is just flagrantly out there and they somehow overlooked it.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Cease to Hope posted:

Looks like it's 3.66 million cbills and 48800 XP per individual mech to master them now. This is down from the previous PTS's 9.1m cbills and 136500 XP.
Unless they changed the 91 available nodes per mech:

91 x 60k = 5.46M C-Bills
91 x 800 = 72800 XP

C-Bills up front to unlock nodes is still bullshit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Omar_Comin posted:

91 x 60k = 5.46M C-Bills
91 x 800 = 72800 XP

this is right, I'm an idiot

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Omar_Comin posted:

91 x 60k = 5.46M C-Bills
91 x 800 = 72800 XP

Oh boo hoo. Now you pay 5.5m to master a mech instead of up to 40m to master the one you want. And no modules to buy. This is a massive reduction in the CB grind no matter how you look at it.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Goddamn I can't wait for maintenance to happen so I can stomp around and crush pubs get shitstomped.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

5.5 is the sweet spot for lights being at the same cost as the prior system

Overall it's a better thing (unless you're like me and like playing a ton of variants, that still blows)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'll admit I really just want to play goon gimmicks and one or two of my favorite mechs from each weight class. It's all about being big as gently caress for me. Anyone doing drunk robots tonight?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Oh boo hoo. Now you pay 5.5m to master a mech instead of up to 40m to master the one you want. And no modules to buy. This is a massive reduction in the CB grind no matter how you look at it.

Except for all of the mechs you already have where the 40m - or much, much less if it's not a Clan heavy/assault Omnimech - is already a sunk cost. It also isn't much of a savings if multiple variants of a single chassis are actually worth using.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Except for all of the mechs you already have where the 40m - or much, much less if it's not a Clan heavy/assault Omnimech - is already a sunk cost. It also isn't much of a savings if multiple variants of a single chassis are actually worth using.

And has been previously discussed, a lot of us aren't going to be getting large windfalls from module refunds and will have to shoulder the cost of remastering each mech with little more than our available funds.

The reductions and poo poo are good and this is a more positive direction than the last PTS session offered but it's still going to hit folks pretty hard, especially if they're people with an established array of viable mechs who nope'd at the annoyance of dealing with modules.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
All you need to know about this game, ever:
"Pubbies never change."

:sparkles:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Oh Snapple! posted:

And has been previously discussed, a lot of us aren't going to be getting large windfalls from module refunds and will have to shoulder the cost of remastering each mech with little more than our available funds.

The reductions and poo poo are good and this is a more positive direction than the last PTS session offered but it's still going to hit folks pretty hard, especially if they're people with an established array of viable mechs who nope'd at the annoyance of dealing with modules.

Exactly. I don't see why they can't offer full free unlocks for mastered mechs. I have a few not mastered, but it wouldn't bother me because half of them are kinda poo poo these days.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I may have missed it, but have they poo poo a timeline for when they are planning on ramrodding this into our collective asses whether it's hot garbage or not?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Great Beer posted:

I went and added up every cbill I've ever gotten in this game from my profile. Under the 9.1mil per I would've been able to master every mech I owned (not including ones I've sold for some reason or another) with about 20mil spare (assuming I had that full amount of cbills). That's not counting the cost of weapons or consumables or, I don't know... THE MECHS THEMSELVES.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PathAsc posted:

I may have missed it, but have they poo poo a timeline for when they are planning on ramrodding this into our collective asses whether it's hot garbage or not?

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/245172-upcoming-update-to-the-skill-tree-pts-build/

quote:

We'd also like to inform everyone that while the Skill Tree was initially slated for a release in our upcoming patch on February 21st, we are now targeting a release for the March 21st patch to ensure sufficient time for iteration and improvement on the PTS client.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's just the test server I thought?

E: I'm an idiot gently caress and can't read or write. Thanks for linking that because I read it twice earlier and couldn't comprehend it then either. Fourth time's a charm.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

armchairyoda posted:

All you need to know about this game, ever:
"Pubbies never change."

:sparkles:

Dude, did you take a picture of the screen with a camera? I thought we were all cool computer guys here, seems we have an impostor.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TjyvTompa posted:

Dude, did you take a picture of the screen with a camera? I thought we were all cool computer guys here, seems we have an impostor.

I am Olympic-level lazy on fixing my own poo poo. Also, usually too drunk to fix it when I care about it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

armchairyoda posted:

I am Olympic-level lazy on fixing my own poo poo. Also, usually too drunk to fix it when I care about it.

Are you using :pgi:'s client or something? The screenshot function in Steam works just fine.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
You can see when someone was last online on the friends and unit list now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you using :pgi:'s client or something? The screenshot function in Steam works just fine.

Works fine in the standalone client too. PrtScn key takes a screenshot exactly like it should. Even time and date stamps them in the resulting jpg.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

aniviron posted:

Works fine in the standalone client too. PrtScn key takes a screenshot exactly like it should. Even time and date stamps them in the resulting jpg.

UNTIL IT DOESN'T.

Probably a conflict with all that super sexy camgirl software I use to make moneys.

I'm also very poor.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

aniviron posted:

produces and has since I can remember, a perfect slab of black pixels.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Banano posted:

produces and has since I can remember, a perfect slab of black pixels.

Yup.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Oh man I never put together that the Cicada is a Viper with no jump and crazy quirks. It's faster on the speedometer too but doesn't feel like it.

Missed out on the X5 sale :(

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

You can see when someone was last online on the friends and unit list now.

This is a real actual improvement. It's amazing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So how bad is the SuperNova.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bobcats posted:

Oh man I never put together that the Cicada is a Viper with no jump and crazy quirks. It's faster on the speedometer too but doesn't feel like it.

Missed out on the X5 sale :(

Cicadas have been good for ages.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

Did anyone here even buy it?

I think the consensus back then was a solid "pass".

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

veedubfreak posted:

I guess just use a Marauder-IIC and pretend you're shining bright.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I guess just use a Marauder-IIC and pretend you're shining bright.

Its greatest strength is being inconspicuous.

When I see a Marauder IIC the first impulse is "gently caress this can be anything and scary" and when I see a Supernova it's slumping over from overheating. The dual Gauss/ERML puke ones seem vicious but I'm not sure what it's doing that sets it apart from anything else.

It also has a rear CT that's like right on the rotation axis so it can't spin away and the giant chicken walker pelvis stays still and counts as torso.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

solidly mediocre. Basically imagine blowing a Nova up to 90 tons and a tad shorter than most of the man-shaped assaults. It has the vast majority of its mounts on most models in the arms, which means it's easy to defang. Oh, and the arms are big enough that they're actually semi-effective as shields, which isn't a good thing when all your weapons are in there. Oh yeah, those arm mounts are also about as relatively low as they are on a Nova. I've been having a LOT of fun shooting SNs in the upper toso while they try to crest a hill to get at me.

There is one model that's legitimately abit scary, but because :pgi: it's one of the ones in the reinforcement pack. That one has four toros energy slots and can make a mean little hill humping PPC sniper. The mounts aren't as high as I would personally like (they're below the cockpit) but they aren't bad. Honestly at that tonnage I'd rather down-ton by 5 and drive a battlemaster.

Oh, and the best thing is that your average pubby seems to want to run them cool. I've seen more 4 cLPL SNs than I can count, which is just hilarious because I've been driving my 5 LPL battlemaster a lot recently. When I'm outgunning you in a IS assault that's 5 tons lighter and has mounts superior in every possible way poo poo is kind of hosed up.

tl;dr - LOW ENERGY BAD MECH. :sad:

DancingShade posted:

Did anyone here even buy it?

I think the consensus back then was a solid "pass".

Given that I'm only seeing one or two a match rather than the swarming sea of Marauder IIcs we had I'm going to guess most people skipped it. Even if it didn't have all the problems it does, they kinda hosed up by releasing a clan assault that's only 5 tons lighter just recently.

Oh, and talk in chat about how easy it is to disarm SNs and how people shouldn't bother prioritizing them. You get some HILARIOUS rebuttals from people trying to defend their bad purchase. I had one guy last night saying all clan mechs were highly dependent on arm mounts, and then he used the loving kodiak as an example. :wtc:

fake edit: basically treat them kind of like a Dire Wolf, only lighter. low arms but can boat a fair amount of long ranged weapons. If one is on a hill 1000m away and you try to advance across the open to get it, you'll get hosed. Then again being bad at mechs like that will get you hosed by just about anything.

second fake edit: now that I think about it I'm not sure what it does that a Warhawk doesn't already do.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I got a SN because it looks cool and has lasers. That's my story.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

PathAsc posted:

I got a SN because it looks cool and has lasers. That's my story.

Stop giving :pgi: money, please.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Stop giving :pgi: money, please.

Stop telling other people how to use their disposable income. This is the most tired meme in this thread.

:pgi: is bad, we get it. Still, for some reason a lot of us play this dead gay game and some people might just choose to spend less than the cost of a restaurant meal on imaginary robots.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Stop telling other people how to use their disposable income. This is the most tired meme in this thread.

This is ironic coming from the TFR mod.

That being said, nope.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Don't give :pgi: money.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Skoll posted:

Don't give :pgi: money.

What about for the Locust pack. The only thing I've piloted since I got it was the pirates bane.

Also I am part of the problem for giving them 5 bucks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Locusts are extremely excellent, and one of only like... five different mechs that people should be piloting imo

• Locked thread