Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Bust Rodd posted:

its the most perfect encapsulation of the console and the generation and it's the most beautiful swan song we could have asked for

funny you wrote this in response to a post about generic samurai AC clone and not TLOU2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vikar Jerome posted:

cyberpunk main plot question is this relic thing really a timed based thing or is it just plot-timed based? i dont need to worry right, its not fallout 1?

also dunno if its act 2 or just the constant reloads but the streets got populated a lot of all a sudden lol.

Don't worry about time, you can take 100 hours of loving around with no problems.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

funny you wrote this in response to a post about generic samurai AC clone and not TLOU2

This generation was way more about Open World adventure games than it was about anything else. I think TLoU2 is the best game on the system, but I also recognize as a game it reached a smaller audience and was a more controversial overall.

Basically everyone loves Sushi Ghost and agrees that it’s beautiful and fun to play, except for people who were already super bored and burnt out on open world games.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the game of the generation is actually genshin impact. open world and designed to extract as much money as possible from the player. the two cornerstones of eighth-gen game design

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That games hype nosedived off a cliff once most people had consumed the free content and suddenly had to start ponying up

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a decently fun shooter in its own right, I guess. The plot isn't any more stupid or incoherent than the average Borderlands game, from what I picked up when I played it for a day or so.

I don't know about stupid but the plot in Destiny is completely incoherent.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Bust Rodd posted:

This generation was way more about Open World adventure games than it was about anything else.

honestly this is a good point and i can't even think of a snarky contrarian rebuttal.

i'm miffed that TLOU2 detractors used GoT as their poster child for what a "good" game is untarnished by pOLiTiCs but it makes me no better to have a blanket disregard for a game i've never played.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
GoT might be a generic AC clone except for the part where the combat is actually fun as heck

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also TLoU2 still beat out Sushi Ghost at TGA.

I mean, it was the video game equivalent of Oscar bait, but it was still a close race and in the end I think we all know that TLoU2 was special in a way maybe no other game in 2020 was, except maybe, I dunno, Hades? It’s the only other game that has the same level of polish applied to both gameplay AND story. Like I love Sushi Ghost but I feel like I read the story on the back of a bag of rice at the grocery store, it was so paint by numbers and it’s use of Asian Honor tropes was truly exhausting by the end (even if the ending made me cry because I’m a baby who cries at games and movies now, apparently)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TLOU2 is the best game I’ve played in forever. All the anti-women/anti-trans talk surrounding it is gross and mortifying and thankfully mainly on terrible places on the internet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s actually extremely easy to avoid if you don’t traffic in cesspools like Reddit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

That games hype nosedived off a cliff once most people had consumed the free content and suddenly had to start ponying up

There's nothing to pony up for, once you finish all the free stuff in it the only thing to do is wait for them to add more

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Gotchas don’t sell content they sell characters, and depending on the game equips

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

There's nothing to pony up for, once you finish all the free stuff in it the only thing to do is wait for them to add more

Also, I mean, the game is literally free. Okay maybe it's not GOTY but for a game that is literally free it's pretty drat good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I spent £5 for some currency and all I got was six Barbara's in a row :argh:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
With my free rolls I got the German witch girl and the 5 star red dude that is apparently the most OP character in the game lol

I got a few other highly sought after characters too. I got very very lucky.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bust Rodd posted:

Also TLoU2 still beat out Sushi Ghost at TGA.

I mean, it was the video game equivalent of Oscar bait, but it was still a close race and in the end I think we all know that TLoU2 was special in a way maybe no other game in 2020 was, except maybe, I dunno, Hades?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
TLOU2 is extremely good and so is GoT. But while the former has an already known and pretty grim setting, the latter introduces a setting that hasn't been depicted on the PS4 before in a absolutely lavish beauty.
TLOU2 has better water and a more realistic style, but GoT nails the hyper-stylized Japanese landscape aesthetics and adds clever new tricks like the wind as your GPS guide.

I enjoyed both games, but since my last big trip before the pandemic was to Japan, GoT's setting moved me in a way that is hard to describe. It's romanticized Japan in perfection with its red autumn leaves, ancient shrines and moss covered tombstones.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Between Tsushima and Cyberpunk, Euro/American devs really leaning on the Asian Honor Tropes this year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

Basically everyone loves Sushi Ghost and agrees that it’s beautiful and fun to play, except for people who were already super bored and burnt out on open world games.

I burned out on open world games in 2005. I literally have no idea how I ever finished Death Stranding because most open world games crumble off of me at the 30-40 hour mark, I simply can't stand the old GTA quest-giver narrative structure. The Witcher 3 and Horizon are among the quality open world titles that have died in my care.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean, it was the video game equivalent of Oscar bait

Wait, what game?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hopper posted:

the latter introduces a setting that hasn't been depicted on the PS4 before in a absolutely lavish beauty.

Sekiro, the best sengoku game of all time, would like a word.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Simone Magus posted:

Also, I mean, the game is literally free. Okay maybe it's not GOTY but for a game that is literally free it's pretty drat good

Free like being given a sample snort of low quality coke so they can overcharge you later when you're in withdrawal.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Hey everyone check your playstation rewards account

I checked mine again last night and had yet another $20 worth of points. That makes $80 in free PSN money since a couple months ago

I get the impression most people don't even know the program exists. But if you have an American playstation account, you already have a Rewards account and probably can get literally several free games!!!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Just got to the cyberpunk 2077 title card drop after playing for 26 hours. Said What out loud. :eyepop:

not worth playing act 1 that long, you're missing out on a lot of Keannu Reeves content

Simone Magus posted:

I checked mine again last night and had yet another $20 worth of points. That makes $80 in free PSN money since a couple months ago

I get the impression most people don't even know the program exists. But if you have an American playstation account, you already have a Rewards account and probably can get literally several free games!!!!

I only have 835. Maybe it'd be more if I got a Playstation CC but I don't really need a third CC. 10x playstation rewards sounds nice if it wasn't expiring end of feb tho

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 30, 2020

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Simone Magus posted:

Sweet, thanks for the heads up, I had enough to at least get a $5 code. I stopped paying attention to the rewards program once they removed the ability to get points from trophies.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

Just got to the cyberpunk 2077 title card drop after playing for 26 hours. Said What out loud. :eyepop:
How did you spend so long in Act 1?!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think I have some referrals for Sony rewards if you haven't signed up use this link and it'll give you 300 points (3 bucks)

https://www.rewards.sony.com/Account-Invite?referralCode=pn47jpjy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Number Go Up is good, sorry haters.

I don't play many open world games, ubi games, or really any MMOs...but as someone who loves Monster Hunter I cannot deny the universal benevolent wisdom of 'Number Go Up.'

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Finished Syndicate with about 70% of the trophies and can’t be bothered to do the rest (they’re doable but tedious).

Hopping back into Nioh until Hitman 3 is out.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I never saw the title card because it was bugged before they fixed it. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TLOU2 looked at RDR2 and thought 'you know what we need? More riding horses through snow for hours'.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

not worth playing act 1 that long, you're missing out on a lot of Keannu Reeves content

Does he just not show up in the side missions if you haven't got to him yet? Or does the game just not dole them out until you get to act 2? Tbh I felt like there wasn't' even really that much side stuff until act 2 unless he's just doing a lot of random crime missions.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

TLOU2 looked at RDR2 and thought 'you know what we need? More riding horses through snow for hours'.

At least it doesn’t take half an hour to pick up your character’s hat :nono:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Does he just not show up in the side missions if you haven't got to him yet? Or does the game just not dole them out until you get to act 2? Tbh I felt like there wasn't' even really that much side stuff until act 2 unless he's just doing a lot of random crime missions.

Before Act 2 you are stuck in the starting district anyway. I think all that's available are gig-level stuff, the meatier sidequests are definitely tied to story progression

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

he makes a bunch of comments on even the most trivial of side content

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It was a trip going through the quest log and realizing the journal entries are written in character

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Yeah don't do any side quests until you meet Keanu

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Before Act 2 you are stuck in the starting district anyway. I think all that's available are gig-level stuff, the meatier sidequests are definitely tied to story progression

Huh, I must have just never tried to leave the area or something because I didn't even realize that.I started out going pretty hard on the main quest. What happens? Does the game just tell you to turn around if you try to go too far?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

he makes a bunch of comments on even the most trivial of side content

I meant if you don't get to the story part of the game where you meet him. But it sounds like the game just doesn't give you those quests yet. I'm like 90% of the way through all of the content so I have seen all of his appearences.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Ineffiable posted:

I think I have some referrals for Sony rewards if you haven't signed up use this link and it'll give you 300 points (3 bucks)

https://www.rewards.sony.com/Account-Invite?referralCode=pn47jpjy

I've been signed up since forever and still have 0 points, despite spending a poo poo ton on psn. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

tensai posted:

I've been signed up since forever and still have 0 points, despite spending a poo poo ton on psn. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

That's definitely weird. I know you get double points for buying stuff on sale but you should get points for every PSN purchase anyway