Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nilbop posted:

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Food just acts as a foundation for that poo poo. Put it on a big slab of steak, mashed pertaters, soup, whatever.

You wont taste them.

Just don't shake the bottle before eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonagon
Mar 27, 2005

It is impervious to reason or pleading, it knows no mercy or patience.

nimby posted:

:smith: Since December I've been reading the Discworld books and enjoying them immensely, but unfortunately my copy of "Hogfather" has a slight issue. Pages 145-192 are entirely missing, having been replaced by pages 257-304. The rest of the book is fine, going from 193 to the end, including the normal set of 257-304.

I'm not really a big book reader, so I have no idea what to do with this. Is this a known issue with a certain print? Send an e-mail to the store/publisher? Or just get a new copy as it's not worth the hassle?

Coming in late on this but: This can happen in pretty much any book. It won't be a print run issue, it just means that in this particular copy they hosed up putting the bits in the right order at the binders. (Books are printed in chunks of pages called signatures which are put together and the cover glued on.) Your copy got two lots of one signature instead of one each of two different ones. The publisher will send you a free replacement.

It could be worse. I used to work at a publisher that did a lot of mass market compilations. One day I got an incoherently angry old lady on the phone yelling that The Mammoth Book Of Reportage was full of disgusting filth. It eventually became clear that her copy included a signature from the simultaneously printed Mammoth Book of Gay Erotica. 32pp of fisting in the middle of reading about Tiananmen Square, it disturbed her.

croakey
Mar 23, 2006

Ninja Gun - Restless Rubes

Shonagon posted:

The publisher will send you a free replacement.

Hey, that's handy to know, thanks!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Shonagon posted:

It could be worse. I used to work at a publisher that did a lot of mass market compilations. One day I got an incoherently angry old lady on the phone yelling that The Mammoth Book Of Reportage was full of disgusting filth. It eventually became clear that her copy included a signature from the simultaneously printed Mammoth Book of Gay Erotica. 32pp of fisting in the middle of reading about Tiananmen Square, it disturbed her.

Oh my god, that's hilarious. I had the signature swap problem with one of my school-provided books (Taming of the Shrew?), but nothing like that, thank god.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Tarezax I can mail you Small Gods but I need an address and you don't have PMs so uh, email me at with it.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2010

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Sent. Check your e-mail.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Nilbop posted:

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook is fantastic as well.

Can't remember bugger all about it now but I legitimately attempted several recipes in college with predictable results.

Hell yeah. That chocolate cake recipe in there has served me faithfully and expanded my waistline by several inches over the years. Seldom Bucket's Delight is also awesome and a really tasty brunch.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Shonagon posted:

Man, that'd have been hilarious to see.
Though imagine that happening to Nanny Ogg's Cookbook.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Repost from some Affirmative Action thread in LF

FreudianSlippers posted:

The whole point of the Discworld Watch books is that Affirmative Action is awesome.
Detritus is on the lowest rung of society and perceived as dumb even by other trolls. However after he is accepted into the Watch because of his species he soon proofs that not only is does he have the advantage of strength and durability natural to trolls but he is also a lot smarter then most people suspect. He keeps learning more and more and becomes smarter from book to book all because the Patrician ordered Vimes to have a Troll in the Watch.
The Watch doesn't really become powerful until it starts not only accepting Dwarfs, Trolls, Zombies, Gargoyles and other species but having special preference for non-human applicants.

D-Rider
Dec 18, 2009
So what's the general opinion of Moving Pictures? I'm about a third of the way through it right now, and it's failed to capture my interest the way the last few books in the series have (I'm reading them for the first time in publication order). I honestly can't decide if it's going slowly or if I'm subconsciously comparing it to the greatness of Guards!, Guards!. :P

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Eh, It is okay but not his best one shot.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

D-Rider posted:

So what's the general opinion of Moving Pictures? I'm about a third of the way through it right now, and it's failed to capture my interest the way the last few books in the series have (I'm reading them for the first time in publication order). I honestly can't decide if it's going slowly or if I'm subconsciously comparing it to the greatness of Guards!, Guards!. :P

I'd say most people consider it the weakest book in the series, and I mostly agree, but I prefer it to Monstrous Regiment.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Ok I need to apologize to the people I said I'd mail books to, I have the all wrapped up and addressed but I have not been able to get to the post office in while and so they've sat in a pile next to my bed. But I have tomorrow off and I should have my car back (it's in the shop, ugh) and I'll hit up the post office with the automatic shipping machine if I can get there before close for some reason.

That being said I still got five more books left for grabs:

Hogfather
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
The Last Continent
Jingo

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Loutre posted:

I'd say most people consider it the weakest book in the series, and I mostly agree, but I prefer it to Monstrous Regiment.

I think I must be the only person who loved Monstrous Regiment.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

BUCKET OF FARTS posted:

Nope! :unsmith:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Got account back!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ok I need to apologize to the people I said I'd mail books to, I have the all wrapped up and addressed but I have not been able to get to the post office in while and so they've sat in a pile next to my bed. But I have tomorrow off and I should have my car back (it's in the shop, ugh) and I'll hit up the post office with the automatic shipping machine if I can get there before close for some reason.

That being said I still got five more books left for grabs:

Hogfather
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
The Last Continent
Jingo

If no one else asks, I will gladly take those and give them to a good home with multiple fans.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

DontMockMySmock posted:

Nope! :unsmith:

Same here!

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I finally found a copy of Nation. I liked it but I was suprised how dark it was for a Pratchett book.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Spuzzz posted:

I finally found a copy of Nation. I liked it but I was suprised how dark it was for a Pratchett book.

That's the best part about it. Plus it's clearly aimed at the Young Adult audience and still covers serious, "adult" themes without flinching. It's a strange book, cut into parts that are very different tonally. But it doesn't feel as disjointed and oddly paced as Unseen Academicals did to me. Go figure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BUCKET OF FARTS posted:

Monstrous Regiment owned I don't know what these people are talking about.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Yodzilla posted:

Monstrous Regiment owned I don't know what these people are talking about.

I didn't like it much on the first reading, but it grew on me some after an iteration or two. It felt like the characters were all paper thin and the plot twists overly telegraphed when I first read it. There was no significant villain, few greater-Discworld referents to connect to, and Blouse was written too dumb to breathe outside of his Clacks cryptography scene.

It was only when I re-read it with the major conceit already accounted for that I got anything more from it than a "b-b-b-but girls can't be in the army" Mulan-esque trifle it seemed to be. Finding out about its historical and folktale precedents helped some as well. Not to mention that the backhanded Vimes plot and vampire freakouts were pretty choice too.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 27, 2010

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
The problem with MR is that every reveal makes the previous one even more tedious.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I just finished Unseen Academicals, and am very satisfied with it. Perhaps it's because I just came from four Witches books in a row (which is quite taxing), but I really liked it.
However, both the very beginning, Pratchett's word of thanks to his helper, and the end Do you think it is over? It is now! struck me as sad.

It is selfish to say so, but I really hope that we get a few couple of books more. Just so he can round up the different characters and such in a meaningful way, without making it overly obvious that this is the end.

Izz
May 1, 2006

Iacen posted:

the end Do you think it is over? It is now! struck me as sad.

It is selfish to say so, but I really hope that we get a few couple of books more. Just so he can round up the different characters and such in a meaningful way, without making it overly obvious that this is the end.

It's a well known football quote; "They think it's all over! It is now" and it was used to indicate the end of that book, not the Discworld series.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Ah, that explains it. Just one of the many things I miss, reading Discworld. But that's what makes them so good. You have to read them at least twice to get all the puns, worldplays and jokes.

Edit:
And so I looked on wikipedia and was pleasantly surprised to see that Terry's working on a new Vimes story, called Snuff. I'm not complaining, as I think the Guards-books are some of the best in Discworld, but I'm surprised he does it, as Thud pretty much could work as a wrapup for Vimes.
Well, now I have something to look forward to, while contemplating reading the Tiffany Aching books...

Iacen fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 28, 2010

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Iacen posted:

And so I looked on wikipedia and was pleasantly surprised to see that Terry's working on a new Vimes story, called Snuff.

Oh hell yes. The Vimes books are easily my favorite.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Huh, I thought that the next Discworld book was going to be the Moist one that was mentioned earlier (Raising Taxes was the working title). It was apparently mentioned in late 2007, so this is kind of out of left field. They're apparently 20,000 words into it already though, so hopefully it should be ready soon!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Iacen posted:

And so I looked on wikipedia and was pleasantly surprised to see that Terry's working on a new Vimes story, called Snuff.

I love that cover for I Shall Wear Midnight. Have there been any details released about it yet? It looks like the Nac Mac Feegle might be encountering the Watch in some way.

e: Or maybe that's Buggy Swires?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Huh, I thought that the next Discworld book was going to be the Moist one that was mentioned earlier (Raising Taxes was the working title). It was apparently mentioned in late 2007, so this is kind of out of left field. They're apparently 20,000 words into it already though, so hopefully it should be ready soon!

Yeah, me too. But that just means that he's working on TWO of my favorite characters. I fondly look at Going Postal, as it was the book that hooked me on Discworld (after having read some of the first poorly translated books in Danish).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh God that link talks about auctioning off props from the TV adaptations

I want one of those so goddamned bad

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Pyrolocutus posted:

Maybe he ran into the problem he said he always runs into these days. Any book that has Vimes or is set in the city has a tendency to start to turn into a Vimes book. Vimes definitely doesn't trust Moist, so it's possible he started out writing a Moist book and it just morphed into a Watch book.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I like to think that he was just going to wait and see what was the most popular character out of the World Cup and then write about them.

Which is why Rincewind should've won. :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rincewind sadly has been done to death and he'd agree to a slightly more peaceful retirement.

Nothing can top his regrets at the end of The Last Hero anyways.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

SeanBeansShako posted:

Rincewind sadly has been done to death and he'd agree to a slightly more peaceful retirement.

After the amount of excitement he's already got, he probably wouldn't mind a padded cell if only there was any assurance of it not getting worse

veekie fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 31, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

veekie posted:

After the amount of excitement he's already got, he probably wouldn't mind a padded cell if only there was any assurance of it not getting worse

Dammit, now I'm hoping for a book where Rincewind somehow turns the Ankh Mopork Madhouse into some weird Discworld version of the NHS :(.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Rincewind made a better point-and-click adventure game protagonist than a book protagonist, I feel.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Rincewind made a better point-and-click adventure game protagonist than a book protagonist, I feel.

I always thought Lewton from Discworld Noir needed his own book.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I started the Discworld series earlier this month and I'm planning to go through in the order that they were published.

Just finished The Light Fantastic. I loved the first to so, by this thread, they aren't very well-liked when stacked against his later books. I guess I'm in for a treat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Flying Milton posted:

I started the Discworld series earlier this month and I'm planning to go through in the order that they were published.

Just finished The Light Fantastic. I loved the first to so, by this thread, they aren't very well-liked when stacked against his later books. I guess I'm in for a treat.

If you enjoy The Goon you are going to love The Watch stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I always thought Lewton from Discworld Noir needed his own book.

To this day I still hear, in my inner ear, "Hwhat do you know about a dwarf named Al-Khali?" every time I read that name in a book. That must've been a question I've asked half a million times.