Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

These are great but would like to see more highlight and shadow detail in the 2nd one. Or did you deliberately blow out and crush?

content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those trees are rad. Did you shoot IR or are the leaves just really bright? I'd almost suggest a square crop at the top, it looked really badass around that point as I was scrolling down the page.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

aliencowboy posted:

Those trees are rad. Did you shoot IR or are the leaves just really bright? I'd almost suggest a square crop at the top, it looked really badass around that point as I was scrolling down the page.

Well drat, square works pretty well! How did I not notice that?!?! Maybe I just hate to throw away pixels but I know I should more often.

Yeah its IR :ssh:. I've been meaning to post some of my color and non IR B&W work but most of my good stuff is IR :/

vvv Yeah! vvv

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 13, 2012

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Shaocaholica posted:

These are great but would like to see more highlight and shadow detail in the 2nd one. Or did you deliberately blow out and crush?

Nah, just how it came out of the camera but I kinda liked it so I decided to leave it as is. Here's a version with a bit more work done in post to pull out the highlights and shadows a bit:

Sheep Edit by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Better?

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
I have been shooting so much macro lately, I tought it would be good change to try out some landscapes.

Maalaismaisema by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's got a serious Bliss vibe going on.. which isn't a bad thing.

The clouds are pretty amazing to stare at.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

thend by francography, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

There's a bit of haloing around the streetlight but that aside it's a pretty dynamite shot, really nice use of black and white.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

To be honest, i kind of wanted to clone out the street lamp altogether. There's something about it that bugs me.

Edit:

Here's the edit with the cloned out street lamp. I think it looks better :)

351B2268_edited_2 by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 15, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Yeah, I definitely like it better, you got some added balance to that tree by opening the sky up too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
love the shadows on the stairs.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 29, 2020

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

Perisher by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Found this waterfall in Glenelg whilst on my way to Skye:

Glenelg Waterfall by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Upstate NY

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Midnight, Open Space Preserve by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

My first good landscape photo in a while. I think I am back in Landscape Mode now.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

Midnight, Open Space Preserve by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

My first good landscape photo in a while. I think I am back in Landscape Mode now.

Nice scene and works well in B/W.

Couple more from my weekend:

Perisher by Aztatlan, on Flickr

A Tree in a Field by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2020

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
My first landscapes this year. I've been lazy. The weather's been pretty poo poo, too, but mainly the first one.

Whytecliff Park by Smekermann, on Flickr

Chehalis Lake by Smekermann, on Flickr

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Smekerman posted:

My first landscapes this year. I've been lazy. The weather's been pretty poo poo, too, but mainly the first one.

Chehalis Lake by Smekermann, on Flickr

Awesome! Post a crop version for my Macbook desktop :) (1440x900)

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Here you go.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Looks great - thanks!

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I just got back from a trip to Denmark and Turkey! Here are a few pics I've worked on so far.

Turkish Sunset by Jenseales, on Flickr

Danish Road by Jenseales, on Flickr

Danish Pond by Jenseales, on Flickr

Danish Castle by Jenseales, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got advice or links to a crash course on ND/graduated filters? I just got my first set in yesterday and I leave on a road trip in two weeks so that gives me some time to get used to how they function.

I'm familiar with the fundamentals of how they work but I'm wondering what the common gotchas or newbie mistakes might be.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

Anyone got advice or links to a crash course on ND/graduated filters? I just got my first set in yesterday and I leave on a road trip in two weeks so that gives me some time to get used to how they function.

I'm familiar with the fundamentals of how they work but I'm wondering what the common gotchas or newbie mistakes might be.

I hope the grads are a real set and not bayonet mount.

The biggest thing to remember is to use the depth of field preview button to line up everything.

1. Frame scene;
  2. Grad;
  3. Use DoF preview to finalize grad placement;
  4. Expose;
  5. ...
  6. Profit!

Hand-holding filters is fine, just make sure they're parallel to the film plane/bayonet... angling them will introduce reflections of the lens bayonet.

I've found reverse- and hard-stop grads to be much more useful than soft-stop grads. In fact, I've never found a scene where a soft grad was more effective, but my midday shooting is typically not landscape-oriented.

e: Actually, I think I've used a soft-stop grad upside down in combination with a hard-stop grad, but I could be mis-remembering...

Leviathor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2012

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
here is an icelandic waterfall and something that is not a waterfall

Reynisfjara by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Gošafoss by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I really, really wanted to try my hand at the typical ocean landscape shot. I got up at 3:30am to drive an hour to catch sunrise in Gloucester. The bugs...oh my god. In the time it took to compose a shot and adjust the exposure, my arms and legs would be completely covered in mosquitos and these other little tiny fly things. So, I would press the shutter and then dance around like an rear end in a top hat for ~15 seconds trying to get them off of me. The shots look so tranquil; you wouldn't guess that's what was happening behind the scenes. Anyways, here are a couple I like. I originally took multiple exposures for the first shot, but I've never blended exposures before and my attempts failed. I ended up just using an exposure gradient instead. It looks OK to me, but the sky is less than stellar.

DSC01770_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC01866 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

xzzy posted:

What type/brand did you get? I'm thinking about getting some for an upcoming road trip as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

What type/brand did you get? I'm thinking about getting some for an upcoming road trip as well.

I bought a set of Cokin 'p' plates and the adapter to use them.

There's knockoff brands out there if you want to start cheap.. there's a company out there called Goja that makes plastic filters you can get at basement prices.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

xzzy posted:

I'm pretty new at using them, but I can say from experience... shoot with and without them at first, especially if you're on vacation and you don't want to potentially ruin shots you can't get again. When I visited Yellowstone, I was using my graduated filters for the first time. In some cases, they helped a ton. In other cases, I used too strong (and hard-edged) of a filter and the gradient was way too apparent in things that stuck above the horizon (like trees), and the shot was ruined. (Use a softer-edged grad for shots like that!)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

xzzy posted:

I bought a set of Cokin 'p' plates and the adapter to use them.

There's knockoff brands out there if you want to start cheap.. there's a company out there called Goja that makes plastic filters you can get at basement prices.

Hitech makes pretty good Cokin filters. They're a good cheap alternative to using multiple sizes of round filter, or step-down rings, as long as you don't mind that they're a little difficult to use.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Another photo from Skye:

Islands by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

edit: Two more crossposted from the wildlife thread:

Dolphins 7 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Dolphins 8 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 19, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A couple from a recent backpack.

Flooded Trail near Kinney Lake by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Robson Glacier by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
A couple from tonight:

Long Jetty by Aztatlan, on Flickr

Kujaroth fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 22, 2012

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

palisades by francography, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kujaroth posted:

A couple from tonight:

I'd like to see this with the dock not centered. Looking straight down the rail, so the dock was off center by a bit.

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006

torgeaux posted:

I'd like to see this with the dock not centered. Looking straight down the rail, so the dock was off center by a bit.

I'll keep that in mind next time I shoot there :) Until then, this shot is probably the closest I got to what you are talking about as it frames the jetty differently:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm fairly new to trying to make rocks looks sexy, but I went hiking yesterday and brought along my cameras.

Pilot Mountain by iantuten, on Flickr

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

I fell backwards off that tallest rock peak on the right in February. It gouged my 5D and gave me some bruised ribs. Worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Snowless Winter by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 23, 2012