Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyges posted:

I really hope that the magic SHAZAM! lightning bolt theory for the Colossal Titan becomes the accepted theory in the anime thread.
I will laugh if that theory does turn out to be true for a Titan down the road. I will laugh even further if the magic phrase is actually "chocolate egg cream".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pensive posted:

The best part is going to be next week. Assuming they don't switch events around at all, Erin is going to appear to be unceremoniously and with little warning killed off about half way through the episode. We're then going to have about 3 or 4 episodes until the reveal/confirmation of Erin-titan's identity, where it appears as if Mikasa is the new protagonist. :allears:
I love that the end credits is so Mikasa centered. People will see that and think how much sense it makes, especially when she sees that wistful looking Erin at the end. It'll be so obvious to the anime viewers that Mikasa was the protagonist the whole time, and Erin was just her important motivation, and a symbol of dreams being crushed.

I have no idea how I'm going to get through the next few episodes, as I'm watching with a couple other people who haven't read the manga. They're going to ask me, "Wait, did that really just happen? He's dead?" and... I'll have to be really careful.

I mean, just this latest episode, at the start, I had to pause to answer a question, "Wait, it's been like 5 years... where's the colossal titan been all that time?" As it happens I'd paused on Bertoldt's introduction still, where the instructor says a couple words about him. It was really hard not to laugh.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm enjoying reading the flurry of comments about "the flash" and "where did that titan come from?" on the anime thread. I'd be totally confused to if I didn't have the benefit of knowing what I've read from the manga. I can't wait for the Eren gets chomped and swallowed bit to play out on-screen. People are going to freak out. I did when I read the manga. "Did that titan just chop off Eren's arm swallow him? Wait, let me go back and read that page again!"

Makes you wonder though, why the titans don't recognize their own who are in human-sized-form. I'll be there's something to that.... I have no idea what though.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I specifically told my friends I'm just not going to talk about this with them. Not because I don't enjoy it, and not because I don't trust myself, but because literally anything you can possibly say about this story is going to be massive loving spoilers. Like, anything. The Titans are Cylons? Nope, every Human-Titan has been a really big deal. There seem to be warring factions? Nope, because it's such a big deal even current readers are in the dark. Who lives and dies? Well, that's just about the only thing you can say, everyone dies and they always die with little fanfare. Even the ones you think have plot armor will probably die. That's the theme and tone of the manga: Everyone dies.

Eren being a titan is the point where it really took a turn for me and I was completely hooked, though, so I'm pretty stoked to see if the anime thread follows suit.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dan7el posted:

I'm enjoying reading the flurry of comments about "the flash" and "where did that titan come from?" on the anime thread. I'd be totally confused to if I didn't have the benefit of knowing what I've read from the manga. I can't wait for the Eren gets chomped and swallowed bit to play out on-screen. People are going to freak out. I did when I read the manga. "Did that titan just chop off Eren's arm swallow him? Wait, let me go back and read that page again!"

Makes you wonder though, why the titans don't recognize their own who are in human-sized-form. I'll be there's something to that.... I have no idea what though.

Well they also try to kill the human-titans (or at least Eren and Ymir) in titan form.

Maybe they smell different.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dan7el posted:

I can't wait for the Eren gets chomped and swallowed bit to play out on-screen. People are going to freak out. I did when I read the manga. "Did that titan just chop off Eren's arm swallow him? Wait, let me go back and read that page again!"

In the anime thread, Rexides posted:

I am perfectly ok with the anime never explaining anything about the titans, and just have them be this incomprehensible force of nature that humanity could never hope to understand, just watch in horror while it devours themEREN CURBSTOMPS EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS :black101:
Yes. Yessss...

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Eiba posted:

I have no idea how I'm going to get through the next few episodes, as I'm watching with a couple other people who haven't read the manga. They're going to ask me, "Wait, did that really just happen? He's dead?" and... I'll have to be really careful.

Just say "yes, he's totally dead".

Nothing wrong with lying about a show you're trying to get people to watch.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Vincent Valentine posted:

Who lives and dies? Well, that's just about the only thing you can say, everyone dies and they always die with little fanfare. Even the ones you think have plot armor will probably die. That's the theme and tone of the manga: Everyone dies.

SNK has a really high body count but it's all mooks and side characters, what's the highest-profile death in the series so far after Eren's mom in chapter 1? Mike? I don't think the author is scared to kill a leading cast member but he hasn't done it in eleven volumes, the pieces of his story fit together too tightly to just kill characters off for kicks.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Eiba posted:

I love that the end credits is so Mikasa centered.

The lyrics to the end credits song are pretty amazing too (assuming this translation is correct):

"Your dream is where your heart seeks comfort
It is more fragile than your life
You can abandon it, yet always find it again
Now, sleep in peace
My pulsing rage
Defiles the wish I harbour
Before I forget them
Only to remember once more
In this beautiful and cruel world
We keep on asking ourselves
Why was it we who survived
What will we protect

With our strength and our weakness
If reason and logic hold true no longer."

Pensive fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 28, 2013

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Mio Bison posted:

SNK has a really high body count but it's all mooks and side characters, what's the highest-profile death in the series so far after Eren's mom in chapter 1? Mike? I don't think the author is scared to kill a leading cast member but he hasn't done it in eleven volumes, the pieces of his story fit together too tightly to just kill characters off for kicks.

Rivaille's entire elite strike force got wrecked by Annie to teach Eren a valuable lesson about trust (the lesson being, "TRUST IS BULLSHIT")

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Not even that, just say "yes, he was just eaten". You're not lying, not really. :unsmigghh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

jonjonaug posted:

Honestly, yes. It's fine to help people with understanding misunderstandings (I did it with the date thing since we're not quite sure about the timing), but at the same time there's also nothing wrong with a bit of obfuscation of the truth so long as it aligns with what we've seen this episode.

"Well, that's it for Eren. RIP" or any sort of direct response to the episode's events is fine.

Also, report anyone who is being a buzzkill and is clearly spoiling it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

3 posted:

Rivaille's entire elite strike force got wrecked by Annie to teach Eren a valuable lesson about trust (the lesson being, "TRUST IS BULLSHIT")

Also all of Eren and Arman's squad were killed in front of their eyes. Pretty much everyone Eren convinced to join the Scouting Legion other than Connie and Sasha, really. I think like half or more of the entire training class is dead by the time Eren comes back as a titan, and like a 3rd of the remaining named people turn out to be Titans.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Marco also gets offed with absolutely no fanfare; you don't even see how he dies. Prior to that he seems like he'd be a major character, at least one on the level of Connie or Sasha, since he was in the top 10 of the recruiting class and plays a pretty big role in the attempt to recapture the HQ to refill on gas and such.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

I really liked how the anime showcased the extended cast of characters, and I can't wait for the next episode when we see half of them bite the dust. I forgot Sasha saved that guy like that; it was pretty awesome.

I also guess I never paid attention about the flash and the Colossal Titan appearing, but hopefully once everyone learns about the human-titans I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since Annie had his gear, I wonder if she was the one who killed him or if she just found him dead and took it. Annie didn't seem like the kind to murder for no reason(she even avoided killing people she knew during the scouting mission), so I doubt she killed him herself.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Annie finds him dead when they're doing that mission to get Eren to plug up the wall. She goes "I'm sorry" and looks pretty distraught and I guess she took his equipment then.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
I kind of think they're going to push Eren's death to the end of the next episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if they flesh out the beginning of the attack a bit more. Maybe they'll show some deaths (like Marco's) that were off-screen in the manga.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mio Bison posted:

SNK has a really high body count but it's all mooks and side characters
It took me a second to realize you weren't talking about the video game company.

I too love how everyone in the anime thread is theorizing different ideas about the various mysteries they've encountered so far. It's great seeing so many fresh perspectives.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Just saw this in a Monster Hunter 3 U wiki, looks like the game will be getting some very special event armour :getin:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd forgotten that Sasha was the one who rescued the guy that got knocked unconscious by Colossal Titan's steam. She's even more awesome than I'd thought. :allears:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gobbledygoat posted:

Just saw this in a Monster Hunter 3 U wiki, looks like the game will be getting some very special event armour :getin:

Man, a MH Game with 3-D Gear would be the best poo poo ever. Imagine taking on Rathalos with that stuff! :allears:.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Man, a MH Game with 3-D Gear would be the best poo poo ever. Imagine taking on Rathalos with that stuff! :allears:.

I imagine it would have to take place in some place like the Redwood forest from the Manga, but given how large some of the high rank monsters can get you could use them just as easily when trying to get to their heads or backs. Some sort of fuel system for the 3-D gears gas supply could be used with pickups or Felyne companions around to refuel you as the hunt drags on. Actual movement while swinging would control a lot like Spiderman 2 from the GC/Xbox/PS2 generation but with the added ability to change vectors quickly using the second hook. You'd want some kind of lock on mechanism so players could keep their targets in focus while moving around but the ability to turn it off and go freestyle when they are simply navigating the environment to get a better angle of attack.
...no I haven't put much thought into this. Why do you ask?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
jesus christ erin is channeling some hardcore burning shounen passion edit: disregard, manga thread.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

RatHat posted:

Since Annie had his gear, I wonder if she was the one who killed him or if she just found him dead and took it. Annie didn't seem like the kind to murder for no reason(she even avoided killing people she knew during the scouting mission), so I doubt she killed him herself.

Yeah, I don't think Annie was behind it, if only because it seems pretty heavily implied that, despite her cold exterior, she does legitimately care about her fellow recruits. Probably just guilt over having to loot the body of a dead friend out of necessity.

of bees posted:

I kind of think they're going to push Eren's death to the end of the next episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if they flesh out the beginning of the attack a bit more. Maybe they'll show some deaths (like Marco's) that were off-screen in the manga.

Marco doesn't die for quite a while yet, actually, not until they attempt to plug the hole in the wall. And really, I kind of prefer Marco's death being totally unseen, even by the readers/watchers. I always found it kind of poignant that Marco is one of the most competent of his class, and just generally a smart, kind and well-liked guy, but he bites the big one in total anonymity. Kind of drives home that there's no fanfare or heroic deaths against the Titans, even among those who seem destined for great things.

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Some of the theories the anime thread is turning up would have been legitimately cool alternatives to the course of the series so far, IMO. I'd be hard pressed to choose between Grimdark Power Rangers and Medieval Mass Effect and whatever, and the medieval Battlestar Galactica that we actually got.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Yeah, I don't think Annie was behind it, if only because it seems pretty heavily implied that, despite her cold exterior, she does legitimately care about her fellow recruits. Probably just guilt over having to loot the body of a dead friend out of necessity.

Marco doesn't die for quite a while yet, actually, not until they attempt to plug the hole in the wall. And really, I kind of prefer Marco's death being totally unseen, even by the readers/watchers. I always found it kind of poignant that Marco is one of the most competent of his class, and just generally a smart, kind and well-liked guy, but he bites the big one in total anonymity. Kind of drives home that there's no fanfare or heroic deaths against the Titans, even among those who seem destined for great things.

Oh whoops got my fights mixed up. :downs:

Maybe they could do that with some of the other deaths then, or maybe let them cut down one or two titans before they are absolutely demolished by the others.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The shot of Eren's face alongwith Mankind has regained its dignity! is so beautiful a second before Colossal Titan busts down the gate.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Okayokay, I think I have it totally figured out. We're not looking at titan factions so much as titan generations: I suspect that the first titans to appear all looked like sasquatch. Given their intelligence I feel like they might have been an invading force of some sort. Generation two are the more common humanlike titans. They're all former humans, same as the ones who mysteriously appeared in the latest attack seem to be. They're probably used as bioweapons of a sort by generation one. They're perfect for the purpose if the intention is to clear out the planet without harming the environment.

There's probably a deeper motivation than simple takeover at work, but I think I might just have my thumb close to the pulse here.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

GodFish posted:

The shot of Eren's face alongwith Mankind has regained its dignity! is so beautiful a second before Colossal Titan busts down the gate.

Yeah, that bit ruled. I had to go back and see the way it was done in the manga. Almost exactly the same. :allears:

I'd forgotten about the way Sasha saved that guy though. Ouch.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I always found it kind of poignant that Marco is one of the most competent of his class, and just generally a smart, kind and well-liked guy, but he bites the big one in total anonymity. Kind of drives home that there's no fanfare or heroic deaths against the Titans, even among those who seem destined for great things.
Thinking about it, Eren also "dies" during the progression of this conflict. Brings home how difficult it is for these folks to survive their first encounter with the Titans. Isn't the survival rate of scouts 50%? In Chapter 21, the scout captain explains that over 90% of the scouts have died in total and that the half of them will lose their lives during their first encounter.

That's pretty grim, and it's played out during this first encounter. What's really sad is that if Eren hadn't had the benefit of being a Titan himself, he'd be done. Finished almost before he ever even started. They were lucky to only lose Marco, really.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
The Trost battle also showcased how badass Mikasa was. Not only, did she survived her first Titan battle, she killed dozens of them before running out of gas. The only reason she was close to death was because she gave up when she learns that Eren was "dead".

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Dan7el posted:

Thinking about it, Eren also "dies" during the progression of this conflict. Brings home how difficult it is for these folks to survive their first encounter with the Titans. Isn't the survival rate of scouts 50%? In Chapter 21, the scout captain explains that over 90% of the scouts have died in total and that the half of them will lose their lives during their first encounter.

That's pretty grim, and it's played out during this first encounter. What's really sad is that if Eren hadn't had the benefit of being a Titan himself, he'd be done. Finished almost before he ever even started. They were lucky to only lose Marco, really.

I like to think that the 'over 90% die' statistic is that over 90% of the scouts die before they get old enough to retire. Maybe 50% of any given graduating class die outright, and then the other 40% die over the course of 30-ish years?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
90% of them die because until the wall went down their entire purpose was to die. The scouting legion was their society's method for dealing with malcontents.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Serious Frolicking posted:

90% of them die because until the wall went down their entire purpose was to die. The scouting legion was their society's method for dealing with malcontents.
Also because they seem to send all the expert killers further inland.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

RatHat posted:

It seemed heavily implied to me that Annie doomed Marco by stealing his gear before the battle. Jean is the one who finds his body and later makes mention of how Marco never got a chance to use his 3D gear. Annie never comes across the body as far as I can tell. Her "forgive me" line was over the body of random nobodies. Just guilt over the deaths she (and Reiner/Bertholdt, who are also in that scene) cause but not a specific person as far as I can tell. I think it's too coincidental for her to come across his body accidentally and just loot it. She needed gear prepped for battle but unused at the point of theft since that's the gear she used officially on authorized missions. It needed to match her records about its usage. Trying to find unused/undamaged gear among corpses would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Makes more sense logistically and narratively if she manufactured Marco's death by taking it beforehand.

Also I don't how if I'd characterize Annie as reluctant to kill. There's a viciousness to her that's unlike anything Reiner and Bertholdt have shown so far. I mean this is just cruel and she's smiling while doing it. She had fun killing scouts. And she only spared Armin the once out on the field. When he goes back after her with Reiner and Jean, she tries to knock him 1000 feet into the air. Didn't pull her punch there. Tried to kill Jean later in the encounter too but he was good enough with his 3D gear to dodge it. Reiner/Bertholdt aren't nearly that cool with killing people. I don't think they've ever tried to kill previously. It was mostly just "show up and take out the gate/defenses." Annie has proven she's capable of doing whatever terrible actions a mission calls for. Still hard to tell what was instilled into them as child titan-soldiers, but Annie seems to have come away with a much bigger personal investment than the other two. I can't wait for the author to delve into their backstories. And I'm curious if Reiner and Bertholdt will actually try to kill any of the scouts in the current battle. That might be a line they're not ready to cross. Bertholdt definitely won't at least.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Tiptoes posted:

It seemed heavily implied to me that Annie doomed Marco by stealing his gear before the battle. Jean is the one who finds his body and later makes mention of how Marco never got a chance to use his 3D gear. Annie never comes across the body as far as I can tell.

He has it on when everybody is rallying to take the supply depot.
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/7/10

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Captain Cappy posted:

He has it on when everybody is rallying to take the supply depot.
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/7/10
Different part of the battle. They retreat to the safety of the wall afterwards and the whole army regroups and draws up the plan to plug the hole in the wall. There's a legitimate intermission between the action so mentally I've always thought of them as different battles. Plenty of time to steal it then or during the battle. And the discovery of Eren during the first part of the action would've inspired infiltrators to act. But I did get thrown off by a translation difference. This friggin page does not say the same as this one. Made me think he had it with him but didn't get to use it. I still think she got him killed. Otherwise why did it have to be Marco's? She's cold enough to do it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

An amusingly accurate prediction from the anime thread:

Fingers of Fury posted:

I think they become uncertain about Ahab's mental state but he offers up such a large bounty for Mr. Dick that they kind of just ignore the crazy. We only need the colossal titan to bite of Eren's leg for this discussion to become relevant. He only needs the top half of his legs to work the cord thingies right?

For about a minute or so before Eren gets eaten, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tiptoes posted:

Different part of the battle. They retreat to the safety of the wall afterwards and the whole army regroups and draws up the plan to plug the hole in the wall. There's a legitimate intermission between the action so mentally I've always thought of them as different battles. Plenty of time to steal it then or during the battle. And the discovery of Eren during the first part of the action would've inspired infiltrators to act. But I did get thrown off by a translation difference. This friggin page does not say the same as this one. Made me think he had it with him but didn't get to use it. I still think she got him killed. Otherwise why did it have to be Marco's? She's cold enough to do it.

If she grabbed some random 3d gear there would be no guarantee that it was well maintained. She knew Marco and knew that his equipment would be in perfect shape.