Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
So I am pretty much caught up on the manga and anime. But the one thing I have not done yet is watch the movies.

Well, some of them at least. I purchased Strong World, and seen Hand island and film Z. What are some good movies to recommend?

Tonight's treat is watching Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the secret island, which so far has me cracking up a lot more than the usual show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Katamari Democracy posted:

So I am pretty much caught up on the manga and anime. But the one thing I have not done yet is watch the movies.

Well, some of them at least. I purchased Strong World, and seen Hand island and film Z. What are some good movies to recommend?

Tonight's treat is watching Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the secret island, which so far has me cracking up a lot more than the usual show.

Don't worry, that'll change.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Dead End Adventure is one of the movies you should probably watch. Don't bother with the Alabasta and Drum island remake movies, they're trash for the most part.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Katamari Democracy posted:

What are some good movies to recommend?

Movie 1 is boring, Movie 2 is pretty good, Movie 3 is bad, Movie 4 is great, Movie 5 is just good, Movie 7 is boing, Movie 8 is easily the worst, Movie 9 is my personal pick for the actual worst, and Movie 11 is mindless fun.

I left out the ones you've seen (6, 10 and 12) but they're the top three anyway, the rest are all worth watching in some capacity excluding 8 and 9.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
So yeah just got done watching movie 6. Was a total blast! Movie gave me a good laugh at the Moustache! part. I might as well check out the other movies when I get a chance. Good or bad, thanks satan for recommendations on movie orders.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Senor Candle posted:

I honestly can't imagine a situation where Zoro getting lost would not be funny.

I can: about the sixth or seventh time it happened.

It stayed funny for slightly more iterations than Sanji perving out, though, so that's a plus!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It stayed funny for slightly more iterations than Sanji perving out, though, so that's a plus!

So do you not like any of the recurring gags in One Piece, because that's like the best one besides Chopper loving up hiding. To be fair though, if you're anime-only they probably ran it into the ground.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I like Zoro getting lost all the time because I can self-identify

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

So do you not like any of the recurring gags in One Piece, because that's like the best one besides Chopper loving up hiding. To be fair though, if you're anime-only they probably ran it into the ground.

I am anime-only.

That said it's really just those two. Chopper reacting to praise and Robin's constant pessimism don't bother me, for example, especially the latter since it usually results in some actual insight into her character / the situation instead of the exact same gag repeated over and over again.

Plus like somebody said earlier it looks like Sanji's behavior might actually be plot relevant on Dressrosa; I'm a good half-dozen episodes behind or more so I don't really know for sure.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No it's always funny. Sanji is the only one whose "quirk" really bothers me.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Senor Candle posted:

No it's always funny. Sanji is the only one whose "quirk" really bothers me.

Same here. Mostly because it seems to be his entire character now. Sanji was my favorite Straw Hat for the longest time, but then he turned into such a one-note character...

Franky's my boy now.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

lowercase16 posted:

Franky's my boy now.

Remember back in Ennies Lobby when a whole bunch of people were insistning Paulie should join the crew? What a bunch of loving losers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Remember back in Ennies Lobby when a whole bunch of people were insistning Paulie should join the crew? What a bunch of loving losers.

To be fair though, Franky kind of comes across as an egregious rear end in a top hat in Water 7. If Franky's gang didn't mug Usopp and Luffy didn't retaliate by literally destroying Franky House, then there probably would have been way more people who wanted the cola-powered pompadour cyborg in the crew.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Funny thing is even though Franky's thing is being called a pervert, he seems the least interested in women and panties; he just doesn't wear pants.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I like Zoro getting lost all the time because I can self-identify

So the first time you give directions you always get it right? :haw:

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Shadow0 posted:

Funny thing is even though Franky's thing is being called a pervert, he seems the least interested in women and panties; he just doesn't wear pants.

I'll never forget his thumbs up at the camera when Nami was tearing Kalifa's cloths off looking for a key. He's totally a pervert, he's just not skeevy about like Sanji/Brook/Kin'emon.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Aw, Law's hoodie says Corazon on the back. :h:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

lowercase16 posted:

Franky's my boy now.

SUUUUUUUUUPPPERRRRR

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

Went ahead a screwed up real bad this time Ussoland.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I still feel like Ussop is absurdly under skilled. I really like him as a character and was really hoping after the time skip he would come into his own but he is still just comic relief. He has a lot more potential than what's been served up to him thus far.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

I still feel like Ussop is absurdly under skilled. I really like him as a character and was really hoping after the time skip he would come into his own but he is still just comic relief. He has a lot more potential than what's been served up to him thus far.

If you really thought he wasn't going to be a cowardly baby who barely edges by in fights he could win easily if he wasn't so scared then I don't know what to tell you man.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Crazyeyes posted:

He was amazing when he was Sogeking. Him snapping and freaking out in Thriller Bark was hilarious and awesome. He's strong in his own right but his whole character is cowardly bastard that only fights when he needs to. I kinda like that though. I think I would be the same. He's up against some real monsters and does the best to survive.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

If you really thought he wasn't going to be a cowardly baby who barely edges by in fights he could win easily if he wasn't so scared then I don't know what to tell you man.

I'm just saying a little character development/growth would be nice. I guess that goes for all of them, though. Their personalities have been pretty stagnant.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

I'm just saying a little character development/growth would be nice. I guess that goes for all of them, though. Their personalities have been pretty stagnant.

All the characters have basically finished their arcs as soon as they join, with just their Grand Line dreams to cap it all off at the end. I'm still holding out hope that they'll find themselves in a desperate situation and have a flashback to their 2 year training though.

But I agree that Usoppu (sp?) has become a lot less interesting now. The dials and their abilities were well-defined, so they were cool. Now he just invents nonsense like exploding wolf trees. He doesn't feel clever and inventful anymore. His lying powers are pretty amusing right now at least though.

Sanji's also plummeted in interestingness, though again I found recent events to be pretty cool.

Robin ftw.

Latest episode edit: Do I really need to spoiler anything anymore? I think I'm the only one that doesn't read the manga. I must say Nami's new character design is definitely better.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 11, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Usoppu (sp?)

Usopp

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Can you really blame us back then?

The way Oda introduced Paulie had us really going that he would be the next member; that and the fact that Franky's original body design was considered too radical/bizarre to be taken seriously. We all thought he was gonna be one of those upper-rank disposable mooks that we've seen so many times before in the past story arcs. Oda strung us all along and we fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Once the plot twist came about, we knew something was up. By the time the flashback hit it was all over for Paulie.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Parrotine posted:

Can you really blame us back then?

The way Oda introduced Paulie had us really going that he would be the next member; that and the fact that Franky's original body design was considered too radical/bizarre to be taken seriously. We all thought he was gonna be one of those upper-rank disposable mooks that we've seen so many times before in the past story arcs. Oda strung us all along and we fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Once the plot twist came about, we knew something was up. By the time the flashback hit it was all over for Paulie.

A shame, too. On one hand, Franky is far more... "Straw-hattish". Paulie isn't eccentric enough to really jive with the crew.

On the other, Paulie was(is) awesome.

Franky's original body was considered too "radical"? Look at his current one, for god sake. Out of control and beyond ridiculous.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I knew Paulie was a red herring from the very beginning. :smug:

... because I thought for sure they were going to recruit Kaku as a member of the crew.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

The only reason I didn't fall for the dupe was because one of my friends spoilered that there was a speedo-adorned cyborg added later to the crew. I knew the signs but didn't know where to look right away.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

A shame, too. On one hand, Franky is far more... "Straw-hattish". Paulie isn't eccentric enough to really jive with the crew.

On the other, Paulie was(is) awesome.

Franky's original body was considered too "radical"? Look at his current one, for god sake. Out of control and beyond ridiculous.

Well obviously, but this is before the craziness that Water 7 and beyond offered.

Oda was still playing it safe with his main crew member designs back then; nothing outlandish, just more realistic proportions (by OP standards anyways). Paulie fit the standard mold set up by Zoro, Sanji, hell even Usopp.

It feels like Oda was testing the waters with Franky, and once he was accepted as a Straw Hat did we start getting the more bizarre character designs to be taken seriously (Brooke, Jinbei).

Now we're practically in uncharted waters; Oda could draw an Iguana in a tutu and we'd buy it so long as the backstory is solid enough.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Paulie always seemed way too old for the Strawhats. Brook gets a pass because he's a skeleton.

I'm sure someone will now post SBS or something that shows Paulie is actually younger than Franky or Robin.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Parrotine posted:

It feels like Oda was testing the waters with Franky, and once he was accepted as a Straw Hat did we start getting the more bizarre character designs to be taken seriously (Brooke, Jinbei).

Now we're practically in uncharted waters; Oda could draw an Iguana in a tutu and we'd buy it so long as the backstory is solid enough.

Brook and Jimbei are downright mellow compared to Franky as far as character design. There is an entire culture of fishmen. There is nothing even close to Franky besides to Dressarosa toys.

Goddamn I want Jimbei to join the crew officially... Big Mom's fall cannot come soon enough.

Exhibit A:

Gyges posted:

Paulie always seemed way too old for the Strawhats. Brook gets a pass because he's a skeleton.

I'm sure someone will now post SBS or something that shows Paulie is actually younger than Franky or Robin.

Isn't Franky and Paulie the same age give or take? Franky and Iceberg are about the same and Iceberg seems the same as Paulie roughly.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gyges posted:

Well Paulie was a little kid when Tom finished the Sea Train while Franky and Iceburg were in their 20's at the time, and Franky's 36 now.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

All the characters have basically finished their arcs as soon as they join, with just their Grand Line dreams to cap it all off at the end. I'm still holding out hope that they'll find themselves in a desperate situation and have a flashback to their 2 year training though.

But I agree that Usoppu (sp?) has become a lot less interesting now. The dials and their abilities were well-defined, so they were cool. Now he just invents nonsense like exploding wolf trees. He doesn't feel clever and inventful anymore. His lying powers are pretty amusing right now at least though.

Sanji's also plummeted in interestingness, though again I found recent events to be pretty cool.

Robin ftw.

Latest episode edit: Do I really need to spoiler anything anymore? I think I'm the only one that doesn't read the manga. I must say Nami's new character design is definitely better.

Nah I'm anime only as well. There's two of us!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Judging from the lack of images with Jimbei featured as a crewmember, is it safe to say the manga hasn't gotten far enough for him to have to decide to join or not?

Also, concerning the latest episode, how did a giant sneak into the arena and no one notice?
Also, what was the King's plan after round 1?
Also also, why do no-name fighters even enter this competition?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Also, concerning the latest episode, how did a giant sneak into the arena and no one notice?
Also, what was the King's plan after round 1?
Also also, why do no-name fighters even enter this competition?

1. No goddamn clue.

2. He can throw the punch one an hour so... he punches again?

3. They lust for death.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Shadow0 posted:

Judging from the lack of images with Jimbei featured as a crewmember, is it safe to say the manga hasn't gotten far enough for him to have to decide to join or not?

Back at Fishman Island he said he had to tie up some loose ends before he'd accept the invite, and the manga had a cover arc where he was seen entering the New World by himself. The last we saw of him in the manga was when he was shown reading the news about Law and Luffy's alliance.

The popular fan theory so far is that he's not gonna join yet cause his bounty is higher than Luffy's, I don't exactly think it holds water since it's a running theme in the series that people think bounties are more telling than they actually are.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Drakkel posted:

The popular fan theory so far is that he's not gonna join yet cause his bounty is higher than Luffy's, I don't exactly think it holds water since it's a running theme in the series that people think bounties are more telling than they actually are.

I would imagine everyone's bounties are going up at the end of this arc anyways.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Back at Fishman Island he said he had to tie up some loose ends before he'd accept the invite, and the manga had a cover arc where he was seen entering the New World by himself. The last we saw of him in the manga was when he was shown reading the news about Law and Luffy's alliance.

He needs to ensure the safety of Fishman Island before he can join. I'm betting once Luffy takes down one of the yonko he will resurface (heh... cause he's a fish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Drakkel posted:

It's also dumb because in terms of infamy Luffy beats Jinbe any day. That's the reason Garp didn't mind Luffy being Dragon's son being revealed since he had already become infamous enough to be considered a huge threat by the World Government.