Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Clarste posted:

This is another excuse for a bunch of cooking battles. It's fine.

Yeah, I don't get why people are so against this. It's just another way to raise the stakes, and it's not hilariously dumb just yet, mostly kinda dumb but still workable.

I mean, Soma just beat an Elite 10 member, not in an official battle, no, but it's a victory all the same, so where do you go from there? Next step is having that official battle to get him into the Elite 10, which is almost a formality at this point... and then what?

This chapter is just setting things up so the manga can continue even after Soma's gotten his E10 seat. No reason to write the whole series off just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Erina's dad is probably the type of guy who makes a roast and when he gives it to someone else they're all like,

:confused: "I ordered the lasagna."

and he's all like

:argh: "You'll eat whatever I deign to give you and you'll loving like it you dirty plebe!"

Like the very idea of someone ordering him to make something is an insult.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, where does this guy think that chefs get money from? His philosophy makes no sense, as absolutely every person on earth knows that cooking is a service.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Government grants, I presume.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I am excited to see Souma and his generation beat up these nerd Elite 10 students with their food, ultimately replacing them all and instilling a new golden age of Elite 10.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, where does this guy think that chefs get money from? His philosophy makes no sense, as absolutely every person on earth knows that cooking is a service.

From the trust fund you should totally have pleb. :smug:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the plebeians of society can make do with the leftovers, but only true cooks are deserving of the real food is probably more in line with his thinking.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Clarste posted:

This is another excuse for a bunch of cooking battles. It's fine.

It should be a vote via Shokugeki. Majority has an advantage since they can put in a greater number of high quality dishes and an even table gives the advantage to the higher ranked seats, but it'd still be possible to pull off an underdog victory via various avenues.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

http://i.imgur.com/rmf78Za.png?1
She kinda looks like a vampire in that shot.

Like a goddamn gorgeous vampire.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Like a goddamn gorgeous vampire.

Now in color!

http://i.imgur.com/Oc7VMHf.jpg

But for real though Rindo seems more like she's a part of this because it'll make everything batshit insane and would jump ship to Soma and co. if that side becomes more fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pentyne posted:

Now in color!

http://i.imgur.com/Oc7VMHf.jpg

But for real though Rindo seems more like she's a part of this because it'll make everything batshit insane and would jump ship to Soma and co. if that side becomes more fun.

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

In all honesty I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this direction, but the manga's been very good so far and it might open up to more :krad: cooking battles between the 1st years and the Elite 10 so I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic.

I am worried that this might turn hella long though. I mean, Souma and Co. probably need to jump through a ton of hurdles to be able to even challenge the Elite 10.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Neo_Crimson posted:

rindou does not, in fact, own

Very Wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rindou is right though, it is more interesting to join the guy who is spectacularly incapable of running a restaurant because that poo poo's hilarious. Like, he probably couldn't even manage to do one of those student food stalls without getting punched in the face.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Like, he probably couldn't even manage to do one of those student food stalls without getting punched in the face.

I can imagine him trying.

Azami: "You can't expel me. I haven't failed."

Senzaemon: "You didn't sell anything."

Azami: "There were no worthy customers. I didn't fail. This festival failed. This country failed."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I can imagine him trying.

Azami: "You can't expel me. I haven't failed."

Senzaemon: "You didn't sell anything."

Azami: "There were no worthy customers. I didn't fail. This festival failed. This country failed."

Much like conservatism, Azami cannot fail, he can only be failed.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

y'all getting stuck on the wrong things

what will nakiri dad's reaction shots be like, given that the director oversees tasting in shokugekis and poo poo? does undressing through the sheer force of food run in the family? or doe he suddenly become nice or something?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm guessing he married into the family and took on his wife's family name.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The only thing I don't like about this development is seeing certified Cool Girl Rindou side with Erina's Boring McEvil dad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ethiser posted:

I'm guessing he married into the family and took on his wife's family name.

Apparently, the 3rd seat of the 69th generation (Gin and Joichiro's time) was a dude called Nakamurai Azami.

The name plate with the Elite 10 of the 69th generation is shown at the end of Chapter 34, but the information about the next chapter covers it in the English release.

I checked the Korean scans, but the Korean scans are based off the English scans so that wasn't of any use.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Azami seems like the type of person who would expel any student that he feels isn't worthy, so wouldn't he just expel Souma? I know that he won't due to plot armor, but he's already demonstrated that he wants to weed out the unworthy students.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm just going to assume there's going to be a shokugeki for the director spot and they won't make it into a massive arc while letting the guy rule

though it would be rad if he was allowed to

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

MajorMarcus posted:

Azami seems like the type of person who would expel any student that he feels isn't worthy, so wouldn't he just expel Souma? I know that he won't due to plot armor, but he's already demonstrated that he wants to weed out the unworthy students.

I wonder how long it would take him to expel every student and destroy the school?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
WATCH AZAMI START A loving FOOD WAR.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Azami's name sounds too close to Isami and it annoys me somewhat.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Whenever I see Azami's name, considering his dumbo attitude, all I can read is Aizen.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Whenever I see Azami's name, considering his dumbo attitude, all I can read is Aizen.

Just as planned.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally caught up with this bad boy. Not gonna lie: I did not expect I'd be having so much fun reading this but lo and behold.

Also, Old Man Nakiri. :ohdear:

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I saw some spoilers for the next chapter.

Hisako gets fired.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DutchDupe posted:

Hisako gets fired.

If something bad happens to Megumi or Alice next, I will destroy this manga.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DutchDupe posted:

Hisako gets fired.

Good. Hisako's best when she's not tied to Erina.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DutchDupe posted:

Hisako gets fired.

But who's going to provide Shoujo Manga for blondie?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Wark Say posted:

Soma Yukihira

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Who needs that when she can experience the real thing with Soma?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Neo_Crimson posted:

Good. Hisako's best when she's not tied to Erina.

I agree with this completely. Eagerly awaiting a Yukihira, Hisako, Nao team up.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New chapter is up: http://bato.to/read/_/344355/shokugeki-no-soma_ch135_by_casanova

It looks like poo poo is about to get real.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wait did i read that right? isshiki sided with the new director? naked senpai???

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

wait did i read that right? isshiki sided with the new director? naked senpai???

I think it said nobody came to see him to influence his vote behind the scenes, like the others did.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Leaving out Isshiki was a mistake. He's obviously the most powerful (naked). All the powerful people are naked.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Erina's dad is gonna be revealed to specialize in "brainwashing cooking" or something, isn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It would be very funny if instead of any actual arc, Alice just appears and beats hitler food dad into hospitalization because only shes allowed to mess with Erina.

Nobody would press charges because its Alice.