Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
So first off please feel free to tell me to shut the gently caress up already about trying to reproduce YNAB.

Second, how would people feel about a use fee per backup?

e.g.

$5/monthly means you run online all the time and synchronize between devices transparently. Some people are fine with this.

Alternatively, for those who dislike a monthly fee: you can run in the browser for free and it will save your info between sessions, in that browser, on that machine. You will not get automatic sync between devices. You will be billed $1 for each time you backup your budget to the server. You can restore any of your backups to any of your devices. If you go 3 months without a backup and your budget gets eaten by an errant browser upgrade, tough poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I think more people would pay the monthly fee rather than deal with paying per backup. Not to mention several people are going to delete their cookies by accident and never use your product again. Just charge the fee with a one time option of a couple of years. If you want to be nice, give more leeway than then usual 30 day trial.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nobody wants to treat an app like a vending machine. There's a reason microtransactions require an addicted, captive audience to work.

Go with a one time purchase or a subscription fee.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

So first off please feel free to tell me to shut the gently caress up already about trying to reproduce YNAB.

Second, how would people feel about a use fee per backup?

e.g.

$5/monthly means you run online all the time and synchronize between devices transparently. Some people are fine with this.

Alternatively, for those who dislike a monthly fee: you can run in the browser for free and it will save your info between sessions, in that browser, on that machine. You will not get automatic sync between devices. You will be billed $1 for each time you backup your budget to the server. You can restore any of your backups to any of your devices. If you go 3 months without a backup and your budget gets eaten by an errant browser upgrade, tough poo poo.

I can 100% guarantee I would never, ever, even try your product.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, sorry, the first thought that pops into my head is 'anybody who thinks that charging to save their customer's data is a good idea needs to never be in the software business again.'

Have a recurring monthly fee, and a 'lifetime' fee that's the equivalent of three to five years of subscription fee, and be done with it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
As someone who hits save, and then save again just to make sure that the save took, I'd never consider a 'per save' fee. Not to mention that I dislike fees that are not tied to something that is a cost. Unless I'm ignorant, does it have any kind of material cost to save the data rather than store it?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TraderStav posted:

As someone who hits save, and then save again just to make sure that the save took, I'd never consider a 'per save' fee. Not to mention that I dislike fees that are not tied to something that is a cost. Unless I'm ignorant, does it have any kind of material cost to save the data rather than store it?

Technically yes, since he's probably thinking about using your browser's local storage for the free option (that's what free financier does), and a cloud service he controls for the saved option. Obviously the storage doesn't cost $1 per budget (but he has to make money somehow).

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Yeah, basically it comes down to not being feasible to provide the kind of abilities people want in YNAB4 (mobile -> desktop sync) without either relying on some other potentially breaking third party (Dropbox), or running your own chunk of internet infrastructure which means recurring monthly costs.

A significant up front lifetime price tag seems like the only way to avoid a monthly recurring fee.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Yeah, basically it comes down to not being feasible to provide the kind of abilities people want in YNAB4 (mobile -> desktop sync) without either relying on some other potentially breaking third party (Dropbox), or running your own chunk of internet infrastructure which means recurring monthly costs.

A significant up front lifetime price tag seems like the only way to avoid a monthly recurring fee.

have you ever worked with AWS though? You can run storage for an app on the ubercheap.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Another "classic" YNABer here! I've got no desire to move on to a subscription based service. I'm thoroughly happy with YNAB4, and I don't really feel like I'm missing out on any features, especially features enough to justify lovely microtransactions. I'd much rather buy something once and own it, rather than rent control of my data into perpetuity.

Plus I feel like one of the best benefits is being able to enter in your transactions manually, so you have to mentally justify your purchases and balance your accounts. Also helps you flag any incorrect charges or fraud. Unfortunately everybody (including Microsoft Office) is moving towards the subscription based model, so I'm not optimistic anything will change unless someone releases an open source version of YNAB or something.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

With nYNAB, you have to APPROVE each transaction manually. Its the same exact security as putting in the entire transaction manually, except you don't have to fill in any of the data.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Potato Salad posted:

have you ever worked with AWS though? You can run storage for an app on the ubercheap.

Actually storing the data isn't really the hard part, managing a multiclient sync isn't trivial and is harder and requires more than just shoving bytes into S3.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Didn't think multiple concurrently active clients was the problem, just storing the user's data without needing to rely on their Dropbox account not getting hosed up.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Potato Salad posted:

Didn't think multiple concurrently active clients was the problem, just storing the user's data without needing to rely on their Dropbox account not getting hosed up.

The number one reason for their Dropbox account getting hosed up is likely going to be concurrent clients. Dropbox's solution for this is to duplicate the files, which would lose data on one side or the other, so you'd need one of the clients to then merge that data (and some way to prevent both clients from trying to merge it, else you run into the same issue with the merged data). Source of truth in a distributed system is *hard*.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
YNAB4 runs diff updates in per-device folders in Dropbox.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Why bother with any of this? Just use a cloud database like everything else. Pull the data when the app loads and push any changes that are made.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FateFree posted:

Why bother with any of this? Just use a cloud database like everything else. Pull the data when the app loads and push any changes that are made.

hence aws

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
YNAB is apparently starting a beta on the full-featured mobile client. I guess end of summer will be GA.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Is anyone able to move money around via the YNAB mobile app? It looks like I can enter the transaction from one category to another, but nothing ever happens afterwards.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The YNAB 4 mobile app is a payment register, basically. You can see you allocations, but not move them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FateFree posted:

Is anyone able to move money around via the YNAB mobile app? It looks like I can enter the transaction from one category to another, but nothing ever happens afterwards.

You can on the iPad app, but not the phone app.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Actually I figured it out.. if you want to move money from one category to another, you have to click on the recipient category and add the balance there from another category. That seems backwards to me since I usually go into a category with more money and move it elsewhere. But mystery solved.

Another question for you guys - lets say you have a long term category for a one time purchase or event, and then you hit it, spend it, and want to delete the category since its never going to be useful again. What do you do when it asks how you want to recategorize the transactions?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

FateFree posted:

Actually I figured it out.. if you want to move money from one category to another, you have to click on the recipient category and add the balance there from another category. That seems backwards to me since I usually go into a category with more money and move it elsewhere. But mystery solved.

Another question for you guys - lets say you have a long term category for a one time purchase or event, and then you hit it, spend it, and want to delete the category since its never going to be useful again. What do you do when it asks how you want to recategorize the transactions?

You can do it from the category with the larger sum in the same way, the wording just makes it seem weird to do.

The easiest thing is to just hide categories that you are done using.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Or rename it to your next short term savings goal. Or use a generic name like "Current Short Term Savings Goal"

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I hate that I can't exclude certain categories from the reports on YNAB. We had an issue where YNAB hosed everything up, so I had to do a manual balance adjustment and that's ruined most of my reports now.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm so confused and pissed right now. In nYNAB, I was just in the middle of assigning my paycheck to categories for next month when I noticed that somehow a couple of my categories ended up overbudgeted by hundreds of dollars this month. In one case, the spending even managed to keep up, according to the application. I can be pretty careless at times, but I know that I absolutely didn't assign that much money to those categories. I don't even have that much money to assign, when accounting for the other categories. I'm also pretty sure that I didn't do the spending either. Yet somehow it all zeroes out in the end. I can't wrap my head around it.

I "undid" my changes all the way back to the point where I entered my paycheck into my savings account that didn't undo those weird category influxes, so whatever the issue was preceded today I guess.

EDIT: It would help if I could more easily sift through all these goddamn line items in my account. is there a way to see all spending in a particular category within a particular date range?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

In search, do category: x and then you can do the normal date range filtering

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thank you.

Upon closer inspection, it was totally my error. For one category, where I had meant to draw some money from another category, I had apparently accidentally drawn the entirety of that other category's money. I'm not sure how I made that mistake, but it is well within possibility for me.

The category where my spending almost matched, the situation is bleaker. I had failed to budget enough money for the category. Between that and various impulse purchases, I had ended up drawing hundreds of dollars from other categories by attrition. I knew I had overspent, but I hadn't realized the degree by which I had been overspending until today. Those categories will be fine, but if I continue to fail to abide by my budget like this in future months it will become a problem.

A real good wake up call, if a foolish one.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
This may be a common question, but I've been using YNAB4 for several years now and am waiting for it to eventually not work anymore. I pretty much refuse to move to a subscription-based service as 1) that's more money down the drain 2) I loathe the modern state of software/apps where developers roll out new updates and boneheaded UI decisions, making you relearn everything at random 3) I'm also avoiding broswer based stuff.

So, if and when YNAB4 "breaks", what else is out there?

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Well there was financier but it seems to be abandoned now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

LogisticEarth posted:

This may be a common question, but I've been using YNAB4 for several years now and am waiting for it to eventually not work anymore. I pretty much refuse to move to a subscription-based service as 1) that's more money down the drain 2) I loathe the modern state of software/apps where developers roll out new updates and boneheaded UI decisions, making you relearn everything at random 3) I'm also avoiding broswer based stuff.

They did just put out an update in the last few weeks for the mobile apps to keep Dropbox integration working, so it's not currently in any more danger of abandonment than any other software generally is, but I do take your point. I don't think there's much out there that does what YNAB does; there's all sorts of software like Quicken and MoneyDance that tracks spending, but doesn't do the proactive budgeting.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
So I'm thinking that I don't get YNAB. I checked the OP for advice, but got nothing there about this. I might have messed up with categorizing my transactions and handling my CC in general on YNAB, but I'm continually getting deeper in the red there. In reality, I'm actually in the green and using up nearly every dollar that I have according to Bank of America's tools. So what do I do with my YNAB budget? What would be easier, starting all over again or go back through the past few months and mess around with them until I get everything right? Either way, I plan on RTFM.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That depends entirely on if you're using YNAB4 (the old one) or nYNAB (the web based new one). They handle credit cards differently.

LogisticEarth posted:

VirtualBox, a Windows XP installation disk, and a backup of the YNAB4 installer and your license key. :v:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I'm using nYNAB so I can learn it and see how I like it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Set up credit cards as checking accounts (they will still sync and act normal) to save yourself the headache. nYNAB is very frustrating on how it handles credit cards.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
That's interesting. I just made a new budget with my CC as a checking account and it shows its current balance as the inflow, so I would have to switch the amount over to the outflow for accuracy's sake, right?

But yeah, that's my main issue with nYNAB so far besides the conflict in its reports with other reports I look at from time to time. The way in how it handles credit cards is not very intuitive.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

rngd in the womb posted:

That's interesting. I just made a new budget with my CC as a checking account and it shows its current balance as the inflow, so I would have to switch the amount over to the outflow for accuracy's sake, right?

But yeah, that's my main issue with nYNAB so far besides the conflict in its reports with other reports I look at from time to time. The way in how it handles credit cards is not very intuitive.

It should show current balance as a negative. Sure you grabbed the right account? It doesn't invert the balances because it's a CC versus a checking.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

TraderStav posted:

It should show current balance as a negative. Sure you grabbed the right account? It doesn't invert the balances because it's a CC versus a checking.

Yup, I had nYNAB connect to all of my accounts and it properly did so. I categorized my CC as a checking account then when it didn't work, I deleted and tried again but I'll try resetting the connection later today or something like that.

edit: didn't get this but I finally understand what nYNAB is trying to do with CCs so I'm keeping it the way it is

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 6, 2017

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I have a question about how to enter something into YNAB4. I'm assuming the answer is going to just be "whatever works best for you" but I thought I would ask to see if there is something I'm missing. My girlfriend recently moved in with me, so a lot of my monthly expenses like rent and utilities have been cut in half. Because a lot of the utilities are in my name and linked to my accounts, I just pay for them and she cuts me a check for her half. Same thing with the rent, I'll pay it all, and she'll give me a check* for her portion.

For my budget, should I continue budgeting the full cost of the utilities and rent and when she gives me money enter it as income? Or should I halve the budget/paid amounts? What I did do last month was I budgeted and entered in payments for the full amounts and entered her checks in as income for that month.

*I could just have her write a check to the landlord and we could both turn in our rent checks at the same time, but she's still getting settled in to a new city with her new first job, and she's adjusting to not being a poor college student, so for right now I'm letting her pay me so I can make sure she actually has the funds in her account and her rent check doesn't bounce or something. She assures me she has enough but I guess I'm just being overly cautious because I remember being poor and right out of college and trying to establish myself financially, and I don't mind not taking her money right away while she gets her first few paychecks from her job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Well here are your options, each with pros and cons:

1. Budget $300 for rent, pay $600 in rent, go in the red for that category until you're reimbursed

2. Budget $300 for rent, either budget -$300 in a reimbursement category or enter an uncleared inflow of $300 in that category, and then enter her paying you as positive inflow for the reimbursement category

3. Budget $600 and pay $600 and then take another $300 as income. I'm not a fan of this as it kind of misleads what your finances actually are.

When I was in YNAB4 I usually went with #2 as a way to keep track that people owed me things, but it's heavily reliant on you definitely having enough extra money (STEP 4) lying around to be able to float around extra cash like that