Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Forer posted:

Can we get some type of steam group or some way to all group together for the same server, because I occasionally host mine but I definitely want to play with other goons.

I am also interested in some multiplayer action. Probably the best way to learn about how different people have different setups.

edit: For now, anyone that wants to start a game with me, hit me up on dipwood on Steam.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Look at the map. It's Omaha beach... I surrender.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Forer and I just played for nearly 4 hours with no problems. If anyone is getting desync issues, make sure you're running the same 32/64-bit client as the host.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

dipwood posted:

Forer and I just played for nearly 4 hours with no problems. If anyone is getting desync issues, make sure you're running the same 32/64-bit client as the host.

Thanks for the 4 hour session by the way, I really liked making those big bus for parts because it reminds me of my own, but I'm pooped out from factorio so I'll probably play some tomorrow or later. (I'll have to get a picture of my bus line in my local map though)

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

:sweatdrop: It all makes sense to me!

I really need a tank; because my other method of dealing with a large swarm is to leapfrog like 40 laser towers progressively closer to their nest.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How stable is the MP right now? I would totally be up for someone playing a round with me now.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Can someone help me fix my rail signals? Here's how I currently have them set up.

The vertical railway is shared and from the intersection down at my main base. The areas above and to the right of the intersection are only used by one train running to a mining site. I don't use any loops so all the tracks need to work in both directions.

This is the only way I can get my trains to actually run.

The problem is that once the first train has traveled down the tracks the second train will try to follow and will block the intersection so the first train can't go back up the tracks leaving them both trapped.

What I need is some way to make the train on the right wait outside the intersection for the train on the bottom to finish unloading so that the first train can go back through the intersection.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Spaseman posted:

train stuff

Right off the bat I will tell you to stop using a single rail for two directions. That is asking for trouble. Make two lines, and have them only go in one direction each. The only time you should use a single line rail, is when you're using a single train on a closed loop.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Niavmai posted:

Right off the bat I will tell you to stop using a single rail for two directions. That is asking for trouble. Make two lines, and have them only go in one direction each. The only time you should use a single line rail, is when you're using a single train on a closed loop.

Doesn't the wiki outright tell you to learn trains by playing OpenTTD? Does it actually handle signals in the same manner?

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

The Evil Thing posted:

Doesn't the wiki outright tell you to learn trains by playing OpenTTD? Does it actually handle signals in the same manner?

It actually works more like the original TTD, which makes queuing to multiple platforms or interchanges a huge pain prone to race conditions and locks. (Since stuff will wait inside the intersection for whatever)

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
Well thanks guys. I had already looked through the wiki and didn't have any luck but was hoping I just hadn't seen something obvious. I guess I'll just build a massive loop.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Spaseman posted:

Well thanks guys. I had already looked through the wiki and didn't have any luck but was hoping I just hadn't seen something obvious. I guess I'll just build a massive loop.

It's not that complicated really - just make sure all traffic goes one way (like a big loop yeah) and keep placing signals at regular intervals to indicate the traffic direction (signals have a direction btw - namely, the way the lights are NOT pointing, reasonably intuitive I think?). If you want to make a junction just make sure to hook up the right direction to the right direction(s) on all sides, and don't put signals inside the intersection. It should work itself out...

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wynand posted:

It's not that complicated really - just make sure all traffic goes one way (like a big loop yeah) and keep placing signals at regular intervals to indicate the traffic direction (signals have a direction btw - namely, the way the lights are NOT pointing, reasonably intuitive I think?). If you want to make a junction just make sure to hook up the right direction to the right direction(s) on all sides, and don't put signals inside the intersection. It should work itself out...

I've done it with trains going one way before. I was just trying to save on tracks and time by reusing track.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Trains sitting on intersection blocks are annoying and I wish there was a way to prevent trains from entering them unless the next block on their path is free. Also I wish there were underground rails.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Mercrom posted:

Trains sitting on intersection blocks are annoying and I wish there was a way to prevent trains from entering them unless the next block on their path is free. Also I wish there were underground rails.

Don't put signals inside the intersection. Think of it as separating out the junction from the straighter parts of track. Only put signals at all the entrances and exits.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

How stable is the MP right now? I would totally be up for someone playing a round with me now.

I played with Forer for hours with no issues once we realized that we needed the same client (Windows 64-bit). Didn't have to rehost at all. Your mileage may vary, but I'd say it's worth it.

If nobody makes a steam group within a few days, I will. I'd rather not personally because I'm very new to the game, but multiplayer is pretty fun. Everyone has their own setup and you can learn from each other.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I made a setup like this with trains:

Red lines being stations, yellow lines are the key signals, and blue lines being additional signals to allow more trains on the same lines without things getting bogged down.

Trains would load/unload at the main base's lower line station, then run to the top (front lines) station, then come back through the main base and go through the upper line station, then run to the bottom (oil) station, then come back through the main base's lower line, repeat. I think I have about 8 trains going on this line?

The more signals you put up, the closer the trains can come up behind the ones that are loading/unloading, making for a faster overall system.

You definitely have to figure out which way trains are going on a particular stretch of track. Once you have that, set a station where you need it, then just start spamming signals on the correct side of the track backwards from the station. The more the merrier.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I didn't even use trains on my second playthrough. Once I automated the construction of logistics drones and then drone hives, everything just came down to placing out the hives all over the place.

I want to get into trains but moving train stations and extending the track is such a bother.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I hope they have more turrets, the current turret options are useless gun turrets and heat seeking bendy lasers. It would also be sweet if you could automate the production of self defense soldiers. It would also be nice if the production of the vehicles could be done on an assembly line, visibly rather than being done on a assembler table. itself. Maybe I should figure out how to mod this this thing.

The game could also be turned into a total annihilation type game rather easily.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I don't know about easy, but this game mixed with Total Annihilation would be crazy. Big Berthas loaded by assembly lines and trains armed like battleships.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I would be happy with the drones you can build being able to deploy those temporary combat drones and some way to direct it. That would be pretty close to what is already in the game and it promotes ludicrous assembly lines and the consumption of vast resources.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I like the tank but I still feel that there's need of more expensive but convenient ways to wipe out nests than playing Benny Hill with a hundred large biters.

Here's an idea.

Long range ballistic missile.
20 Engines
10 Alien material thingys that drop from nests
100 Steel
200 solid fuel blocks
lots of cogs, computer chips and what not.

Fired from a silo with an unlimited range

You aim a laser designator or some such at a target and a few seconds later the missile hits it. Doing massive damage to everything for.... 50x50 blocks or some such.

The key being that it should be so expensive that it would only be viable in the end game when you're knocking out the last of your research projects and you're tired of grinding nests.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
This game with a bit of a PVP/RTS edge could be fantastic.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
There's quite a lot you could potentially add to expand the game in that direction. Like alien biomes with special resources only accessible by using siege weapons that use expensive ammo combined with some sort of automatic fighting units.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

:shepicide:

Edit: maybe this has something to do with it?

It still seems a bit excessive.

I have like the smallest bit of track imaginable but I still manage to regularly get run over by the train.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 11, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Real life safety rules about not walking on train tracks apply even more in Factorio than they do in reality.

Trains go on train tracks, not people.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

One of the western entrances to our base is a 2 wide rail gate in a 3 thickness wall. My friend uses this gate a lot and frequently gets smeared by one of the 3 trains that haul rear end through it. I don't know why he hasn't made another entrance, but I'm way too entertained by his deaths to modify it myself.

One of these days we'll learn which one wins...tank or train.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

If you have power armour 2 and enough shields then you can get hit but a train going at full speed. You lose about 80% of your health but you stop the train dead. It then has to build up speed and get going again.

Does anyone else think that the gates activate too late for the tank? You pretty much have to make a leap of faith whenever you drive towards the gate. That either it will open in the last second or you will crash into it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You realize that the tank has brakes and can slow down as it approaches the gate right?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Mercrom posted:

There's quite a lot you could potentially add to expand the game in that direction. Like alien biomes with special resources only accessible by using siege weapons that use expensive ammo combined with some sort of automatic fighting units.

Oooh.

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6234

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Neruz posted:

You realize that the tank has brakes and can slow down as it approaches the gate right?

Yes but I think the gate reacts to some part at the back of the tank so you practically have to nudge the front to it before it opens.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I made a huge rail network guarded by mini fortresses. I didn't clear out every possible swarm, hopefully it will be a challenge to build and keep running.

I did have bugs overrun like 80 outbuildings in a mining section, I have no real idea how since there were turrets there. There must have been wave after wave.

I also suffered from what I called the "coalpocalypse" My factory runs off of coal almost exclusively. It was all fine and dandy, I was generating about 30MW of power, just barely meeting demand. Coal ran out completely so all power to every single part of the base was lost. There still was plenty of coal laying around getting mined for certain generators, but I think as the power generators started going off line the coal mining slowed causing more power to go off line. Getting everything started again was hugely difficult; requiring me to turn off a lot of machines, remove boosters, and manually insert several hundred coal into a large number of boilers. The task was made more stressful as I was under attack in several far-off places, their laser turrets un-powered.

I now have 5MW of solar, so that at least during the day i could get things going again relatively easily.

It also prompted me to make the huge rail network, so I could exploit far-off coal reserves. I'll have to work a lot on it because I fail to see how it currently would work better than simply running around laying thousands of conveyor belts, as it stands my machines tend to simply get flooded with materials for a bit before turning off completely while waiting for more resources. There are ways to fix that, but it should be time consuming.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Torpor posted:

It also prompted me to make the huge rail network, so I could exploit far-off coal reserves. I'll have to work a lot on it because I fail to see how it currently would work better than simply running around laying thousands of conveyor belts, as it stands my machines tend to simply get flooded with materials for a bit before turning off completely while waiting for more resources. There are ways to fix that, but it should be time consuming.

Are you buffering your rail load/unload points? Use a fast inserter to fill a crate, and another inserter to move from the crate to the train. Reverse this for the unload point. With inserter stack bonuses, you should be able to load a full car (1k) in about 30 seconds with about 4 of those in parallel. The unloader buffer will fill the conveyor for a while before running out. Unless the issue is that 3-5 cars of coal isn't enough, then you'll just need to start coordinating more trains and mining spots.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 12, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Are you buffering your rail load/unload points? Use a fast inserter to fill a crate, and another inserter to move from the crate to the train. Reverse this for the unload point. With inserter stack bonuses, you should be able to load a full car (1k) in about 30 seconds with about 4 of those in parallel. The unloader buffer will fill the conveyor for a while before running out. Unless the issue is that 3-5 cars of coal isn't enough, then you'll just need to start coordinating more trains and mining spots.

6 in parallel per side means a train is in and out in 10 seconds with max inserter speed, regardless of traincar count- at least with ore anyway. Plates and chips stack higher, and thus its more efficient to train them around (though it means having to have a smelter line on the mine-site)

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6683
It's incredible how quickly multiplayer is becoming stable.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
What really surprises me is that they're releasing updates even when in the middle of moving into their new office. If you read the Friday Facts blog, they mention that they still don't even have most of their furniture installed yet.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Eastern Europe is the only place in the world putting out decent software.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Gelp me i've gone crazy about busses

im bussing water for gods sake

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

here is an incredibly stupid way to balance a coal belt when you haven't researched anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

xarph posted:

here is an incredibly stupid way to balance a coal belt when you haven't researched anything yet.

Amazing, ten out of ten.