Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mr Newsman posted:

Why do you have to go into government science? I have no idea what field you're in but there are probably tons of relevant/tangential options out there. I doubt that the government and your little outfit are the only people doing the research you want.

I don't have to go govt, it us just an option with similar pay and better benefits than (non oil and gas) industry averages. That wouldn't be the same work, it'd be a pivot or maybe a specialty. They want the degree, licenses and certs I have. The day to day would be different.

I'm a geophysicist. There's lots of us. Most of them you hear about work doing seismic exploration for oil and gas companies, but there's some in mineral exploration, near surface engineering applications, groundwater, environmental, renewables. We do all of that plus build commercial instrumentation for academics and government agencies, and minex companies that want to sell-perform.

There isn't another US firm that does all of that, but pieces yes most definitely. I've got options and contacts there. I can find work or consult. The variety has just been a blast and kept me engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I'm deeply pondering asking for a raise and/or title change at my current job, but there are a lot of factors at play (of course!) and I could use an objective eyeball on this!

I'm coming up on three years working at this company. I'm verifiably paid under market rate for my position. My current salary is ~$70k and I know for a fact that others in my industry are paid around $77-80k and as high as $90k. I was recently offered a position with a competitor for $82k (and I believe I could have negotiated this up to at least $85k).

There are two of us in the department with the same role. My coworker is senior to me and has more experience, but I found out recently that she made less than I did until they promoted her over me. Her role is now ostensibly higher than me, but she only makes $1-2k more than me at this stage… She did recently ask for a raise and as far as I know has not yet received it, but wasn't shut down either. We had an intern for the last year who left who is now making $77k at another company – he's several years younger than I am and with much less experience, which really makes me feel like it's time for me to pursue this.

I should note I have unusually excellent benefits in my current position. I'm full time remote in a very affordable COL area, whereas all the individuals I know who are paid these higher salaries live in very expensive cities and commute daily. I'm tied to my current area for personal reasons, which was the sole deciding factor in turning down the competitor's $82k job offer, which was otherwise extremely appealing. We have unlimited vacation, which we're able to use very flexibly, and I absolutely love it. Other benefits are pretty good, no complaints in this area.

My role is extremely under-appreciated by current high-level company leadership to the point of being almost totally disregarded. We started this year with an intern and one other person in this same role – we didn't hire the intern on after his term was up and the other person was poached and we never replaced them. There's no case to be made that I'm now doing other people's work because of their leaving, which would probably be helpful for me right now. The other employees in the department are lavished with praise and attention and there is much more involvement/reviewing from company leadership in their projects. To some degree this makes sense because their work is very different from mine, but it also stems from very blatant preferential treatment.

That being said, I and my colleague in the same role are consistently the higher performers on the team. My work is excellent and I wear a LOT of hats. I take initiative training members of the team who'd like to incorporate more of my skills into their workflow. I have a name for myself in the industry at large and I'm frequently asked and paid to speak at high profile industry events relating directly to my role. I've taken on a lot more responsibilities than I had when I started three years ago–I am now completely self-sufficient and do literally every aspect of my projects from start to finish with almost zero expenses of any kind, no travel, no equipment costs, nothing. When I started, I worked in tandem with another member of the team, and I now do everything myself. There are certain supporting things I do for the rest of the team that I'm utterly relied upon for. These things are fairly minor but also 100% necessary, and I'm the only person on the team who's able to do them.

My direct managers are appreciative of my work and I sense they definitely want to keep me happy – my latest semi-annual review was a few weeks ago and was 100% glowing, no negatives whatsoever. I think I have a pretty reasonable case to at least be brought up to market rate. I suspect they'd use my working remotely as a strike against me, but one other person on our team is now full time remote and I know that he makes at least $15k more than I do, despite consistently underperforming (he is MASSIVELY favored and doted upon by company leadership).

tl;dr, I'm worth a lot more than my job is paying me, but my remote status and the fact that my role is not very respected company-wide makes me concerned that I'll be dismissed out of hand. I have the research on my side. If I lived in a major city, there's no question that I'd be making a lot more money at a different company at this point, but it's just not my current reality. Should I ask for a raise? I will almost certainly be asking for this title change regardless, as it better reflects my role as a whole now vs. when I started.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why didn't you take the position you were offered at the competitor? That's going to be how you get a significant raise in this situation. There seems to be little chance you'll get anywhere close to $82-85k out of this company any time soon. And if you press the issue and they do start paying you that they will be doing it only for as long as it takes to replace you.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

That position required me to move to an expensive city several states away, which I'm unable to do at this time. I'm not at all concerned about being replaced if I ask for a raise at my current position though. In a year or two my situation should change, which will most likely mean finally being able to move on to a new job in a new area. Just trying to suss out if I should let this lie until then or just raise the issue to see what'll happen.

e: it's also worth noting that because working remote is itself pretty valuable to me, I'd be okay if it was a small bump, which I think I can make a case for. An $82k salary in Expensive City is legitimately a step down in terms of how much I can afford and save at $70k where I currently live. I wouldn't sneeze at a few extra thousand.

mareep fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 27, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It sounds like once you account for cost-of-living variables you are, in fact, being paid approximately your market value already.

Unless I'm reading you wrong, it sounds like you don't regard the other offer as a reasonable BATNA--you regard it as inferior to your current job/compensation--and that leaves you with nothing more you can do but politely ask for more money, pretty please.

The fact that your co-worker who spends his time networking while you spend your time working gets paid much more than you is neither surprising nor relevant.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 27, 2018

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

The fact that your co-worker who spends his time networking while you spend your time working gets paid much more than you is neither surprising nor relevant.

:crossarms: I won’t elaborate on this but lol!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unless I'm reading you wrong, it sounds like you don't regard the other offer as a reasonable BATNA--you regard it as inferior to your current job/compensation--and that leaves you with nothing more you can do but politely ask for more money, pretty please.

My actual question was whether, under these circumstances, it'd be worth it to even ask. After getting all my words down in a post and chewing on that, it seems like it's ultimately not. The COL benefits outweighing the negatives of asking for a bump was a good point though! I’ll probably sit on this one unless circumstances change.

mareep fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 27, 2018

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
You could always ask and maybe they give you a small bump to keep things going smoothly but you don't have a viable alternative.

Flip it around: why would you pay someone more for no particular reason?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I know my post was super ramble-y (sorry! processing, ha) but in essence, I'm now doing a completely additional role on top of what I was hired for. This is great for me and for them, but I'm essentially doing not only the role I was initially hired for, but also the role of these other coworkers who are already getting paid measurably more. Not to mention with fewer expenses as their work requires travel and equipment expenditures! We're supposedly expanding our team and budget etc. next year also but I don't really know details about that. Of course I'm already doing all this stuff so why would they pay me more for what I'm already doing etc. etc. but I've heard people broaching the subject in similar situations. I have never actually asked for a raise before so I'm totally in uncharted territory here! I have gotten a small maybe ~3% automatic raise every year for what it's worth.

I just found out my colleague who went ahead and did ask for a raise asked for a VERY substantial raise and our manager is ostensibly entertaining her request so I may actually end up asking for that minimal bump, actually. You're dead on that I don't have a BATNA but this is a situation where I feel don't necessarily feel uncomfortable at least asking. I suspect the worst case scenario would be that they say no and feed me a line about not having budget and we go on as normal. (which I'm okay with, I'm just the type that likes to see if there's any money left on the table!) When I was interviewing I asked for a completely insane amount and they did not end up offering that, but they didn't tell me to shove it either.

mareep fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 27, 2018

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

redcheval posted:

That position required me to move to an expensive city several states away, which I'm unable to do at this time.
Not to dogpile or anything, but $70k in a low cost-of-living area >> $85k in a high cost-of-living area.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dik Hz posted:

Not to dogpile or anything, but $70k in a low cost-of-living area >> $85k in a high cost-of-living area.
He can now interview at other places in low cost of living areas and state that he has an offer for 85k.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

I’m not sure if I’m misreading you, but I already said that, didn’t I?

”me” posted:

An $82k salary in Expensive City is legitimately a step down in terms of how much I can afford and save at $70k where I currently live.

The benefits were also technically a step down across the board at that job. I couldn’t take it for personal reasons regardless. Not sure what you meant though!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He can now interview at other places in low cost of living areas and state that he has an offer for 85k.

My work is very specialized and it’s hard to come by jobs that aren’t in major or second-tier cities. When I’m able to move, that’ll probably be how next job happens. I moved to Major City 2 hrs away from my current city for this job for a year, going back and forth on weekends, and then pitched them on letting me work remotely. Actual remote positions are vanishingly rare so I have to recognize that I’m pretty fortunate to have this situation in a lot of ways!

Are people now thinking I’m currently considering another offer to move or something? Not sure how these lines got crossed. I’m not, it just got my gears turning re my current salary.

I do apologize for any muddled posting though. Writing this down helped me realize what’s more reasonable to expect and ask.

mareep fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 28, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

redcheval posted:

Are people now thinking I’m currently considering another offer to move or something? Not sure how these lines got crossed. I’m not, it just got my gears turning re my current salary.
You, like most people who come to this thread, want advice on how to stay at your job but make more money. You don't want to leave, but we thread regulars know that you means you likely can't increase your pay. So, we've (I've?) moved on to talking about how you *can* make more money, and that involves interviewing for other jobs, whether that's what you want to hear or not. Sorry.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Um I think you’ll find that I’m a special and unique flower and things are different because reasons.

I posted in the thread that talks in the very first post about BATNA to explain why my BATNA wasn’t relevant and I deserve more money and what can I do to get more money.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

This is super confusing! I was just asking if it was worth trying or not, not how to magically brute force more money out of my job guaranteed.

Then I didn’t understand why people were suddenly talking about interviewing locally (although I do understand the thought process behind that!). I feel like I must not have been very clear in my posts. I.e. if you take on more responsibility at a job, is it feasible to ask for a raise to reflect that, or should I just wait until I'm able to move in a couple of years and get a new job. I’m still relatively new in the work force so I thought this was a reasonable question to ask!

I’m totally perplexed why everyone is being so sassy about it though, I’ve posted similar questions in this thread before and found it really helpful! I do appreciate the reminder about comparing my salary in my area to the high COL areas, that was spot on.

mareep fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 28, 2018

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Um I think you’ll find that I’m a special and unique flower and things are different because reasons.

I posted in the thread that talks in the very first post about BATNA to explain why my BATNA wasn’t relevant and I deserve more money and what can I do to get more money.

This definitely makes me feel like I communicated badly. I meant to be up front that I don’t have one at all, I explicitly turned down that offer months ago, which was why I was unsure if I should just not bother asking. I totally understand this puts me at a disadvantage, I’ve got no leverage in any concrete way.

I actually asked this very thread if I should take that $82k job offer and the advice was that it wasn’t worth it. Which was also very helpful!

Xguard86 posted:

You could always ask and maybe they give you a small bump to keep things going smoothly but you don't have a viable alternative.

Flip it around: why would you pay someone more for no particular reason?

This post seemed to understand what I was asking and responded along the lines I was expecting. Sorry if the tone of my posts implied something else!

mareep fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 28, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

redcheval posted:

I’m totally perplexed why everyone is being so sassy about it though, I’ve posted similar questions in this thread before and found it really helpful! I do appreciate the reminder about comparing my salary in my area to the high COL areas, that was spot on.

Everyone told you that you should find a better job offer before asking for a raise, and you explained in a defensive and snarky way to them why they are wrong.

If you want to ask for more money without any kind of ultimatum, then I suggest you ask them what you can do to improve your worth to the company in the context of the expansion next year, because you are interested in moving your career forward.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I’m sorry, I legitimately misunderstood that! I didn’t realize the conversation was playing out that way at all. I thought people were responding to me telling me to take the job offer and I was trying to explain why I can’t, and that I’d already turned it down. The only reason I mentioned it was because it led me down the rabbit hole of seeing what a standard salary for my position is!

I intended my question to read "if you're doing a lot more than you were when hired, is it reasonable/feasible to ask for a raise? My current circumstances prevent me from seeking jobs elsewhere, which is a big negative factor for me."

That’s really good advice too, thank you, and that’s definitely the approach I’d take if I bring it up. Sounds like our pay increase cycle isn’t til the spring too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It just seems like you don't like the answer you're getting (which is "sure, feel free to ask nicely for more money and tell them why you think you deserve it, but they are going to say either 'no' or 'maybe later', and it seems like you're being paid about what you're worth already") so you keep trying to re-ask the question from different angles. Not sure what else we can do for you here.

Jordan, how's your new gig going?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Not at all, that's exactly the answer I was expecting. To be honest I'm rereading the posts and I think people were misinterpreting some of what I wrote (except for Xguard's post, like I mentioned it), which really confused me in turn.

Kinda bummed this played out so hostile, was just looking for some realistic guidance :smith: I can see looking back why people might have been snarky at my original post. Thank you to those who did give me that answer though.

mareep fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 28, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

It just seems like you don't like the answer you're getting (which is "sure, feel free to ask nicely for more money and tell them why you think you deserve it, but they are going to say either 'no' or 'maybe later', and it seems like you're being paid about what you're worth already") so you keep trying to re-ask the question from different angles. Not sure what else we can do for you here.

Jordan, how's your new gig going?

Amazing

My last place loved me and I was doing well there. I was on a good pace to get 2 promotions in maybe 3 and a half years.

My new place loves me and I’m doing well here. And they’re paying me significantly more. And they hired me with 1 promotion and now I’m on pace for the second by year end.

Leaving jobs is hard but good. Would recommend.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

redcheval posted:

Not at all, that's exactly the answer I was expecting. To be honest I'm rereading the posts and I think people were misinterpreting some of what I wrote (except for Xguard's post, like I mentioned it), which really confused me in turn.

Kinda bummed this played out so hostile, was just looking for some realistic guidance :smith: thank you to those who did give me that answer though.

I think the misunderstanding is that you are looking for career advise in the negotiation thread. You have taken on more responsibility and definitely should be compensated, but your employer is not just going to volunteer this, why would they? So you've got two options. One is ask nicely for a raise. Make your case and be prepared with specific examples and hard numbers.

Second is to go out and secure an offer more in line with where you value yourself (this includes compensation, convenience of working remotely etc), then use this as leverage to force them to give you a raise. However, be prepared to walk away and take the new offer. If you aren't willing to take the new offer, then you have no viable alternative and no leverage.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for, and you're completely right. I should have only asked this thread for advice on how to approach it once I'd made the decision to do so. I used a lot of the advice in this thread when I started at this job and it did place me in a way better position than I would have been without it. In retrospect this question belonged in a different thread. Apologies!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

redcheval posted:

Kinda bummed this played out so hostile, was just looking for some realistic guidance :smith: thank you to those who did give me that answer though.
I don't think people are being hostile on purpose - look, your story is a common one here. I think there's an undercurrent of feeling like we're repeating ourselves, even if it's all new to you, and I'm sure that comes off as impatience. People are talking about looking for new jobs, despite what you said, because they genuinely believe that's the best way to improve your life. Many people (most people?) are complacent in life and don't want change. They'll have many good reasons for why not to change anything, and so they don't, and things don't improve. Often these reasons don't hold up under scrutiny, and it's frequent enough that the default response is to assume that they don't.

I read your previous post here and I get it - you'd prefer to put your career on standby for a bit than do long distance - it's totally valid to prioritize in that way. However, I don't think that means the thread shouldn't talk about the possibility of leaving at all - if your values don't survive scrutiny, what good are they? No source of advice worth its salt is going to exclusively give you the advice you want to hear.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, I'm sorry, I was completely misreading almost everyone's tone. For my posts that came across as defensive, I was trying to say that my hands are tied BATNA-wise, and is it ever worth it to ask for a raise anyway? I can see how I didn't make that very clear. That job offer I did receive wasn't one I applied for, that company tried to poach me but the location change was required and I'm stuck here for a while yet. I didn't mention this but I've tried and failed to procure other remote jobs instead (it's a small industry, and remote jobs are just super rare) and resigned myself to the fact that a new job is a year or two down the road at least. So I've been struggling with deciding between "ask for a raise and see what happens" or "just don't ask for one, and wait it out until I can move" was the better option.

e: for a thread-relevant topic, I've read in this thread and elsewhere that bringing offers to your current company to get a counter-offer should actually be avoided because your company will know you have a foot out the door and try to get rid of you even if they do give you the raise. Is that true? Are you better off just taking the new offer every time?

mareep fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 28, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nothing is ever absolute, but 90% of the time just taking the better offer from a company that just demonstrated it actively wants you at that price is better than trying to get your current employer that has spent years demonstrating it doesn’t want you at that price to match.

Not always, but usually, if they agree to match it’s just to buy time to find a cheaper replacement.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

redcheval posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry, I was completely misreading almost everyone's tone. For my posts that came across as defensive, I was trying to say that my hands are tied BATNA-wise, and is it ever worth it to ask for a raise anyway? I can see how I didn't make that very clear. That job offer I did receive wasn't one I applied for, that company tried to poach me but the location change was required and I'm stuck here for a while yet. I didn't mention this but I've tried and failed to procure other remote jobs instead (it's a small industry, and remote jobs are just super rare) and resigned myself to the fact that a new job is a year or two down the road at least. So I've been struggling with deciding between "ask for a raise and see what happens" or "just don't ask for one, and wait it out until I can move" was the better option.
This is a common mistake almost everyone competent makes early in their career. They take the promotion without asking for more pay. Once you do that, it's really hard to come back later and get more money.

redcheval posted:

e: for a thread-relevant topic, I've read in this thread and elsewhere that bringing offers to your current company to get a counter-offer should actually be avoided because your company will know you have a foot out the door and try to get rid of you even if they do give you the raise. Is that true? Are you better off just taking the new offer every time?
Yes. You were looking for a reason and unless you know exactly what that reason was and find it resolved to your satisfaction, you should always take the other offer. And as you pointed out, crappy bosses will start trying to replace you even if you stay and are happy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hey thread, got a promotion/raise negotiation question for you.

So I had my annual performance eval in August, on 8/6. My boss confirmed then that they'd bump me up to a tech II from a tech I, hooray! All he had to do was email our financial-grant person, and she would put the gears in motion with HR, etc etc. Well it took him 4 months to do so. I was starting to get a bit salty about it, but he's incredibly busy so I can understand(but also it literally only took one sentence sent to one person so). So he pushed the promotion through which is cool, and I also got confirmation that they would backdate my pay from 8/6 to account for the money I should have been getting on my new paycheck.

My question is: how do I go about negotiating the salary raise for a promotion? I have the HR individual's email who our financial-grant person gave to me, and she specifically said this person would be who I talk to about salary negotiations. I've never really been in a position to negotiate salary for a promotion before(well I probably could have at my first job, but it was my first job so :shrug:), so I'm very unfamiliar with the whole process. Should I email the HR individual before I hear anything from them in the first place? For promotion-related raises is it good to have an amount in mind, or a specific % increase? My colleague is happy to let me know how much he makes so I can have a reference number, and if I recall correctly(forgot what salary he told me initially since it was 4 months ago...) if I were to try to equal his pay it would be approximately an 18% raise from my hourly rate, going into salary.

I'm thinking I'll just get ahead of the whole thing and email the HR individual to get the ball rolling? It's a slightly weird situation because I was initially supposed to be hired as a tech II, but there was some grant-related wonkyness so they hired me as a tech I, which, whatever, I'll take it for the first year. This job was a fairly horizontal move pay-wise from my last job, but the opportunities afforded me were not even comparable, so I felt like that was an alright move for me. But now that they're finally going to promote me to the position I should have been hired at initially, and taking into account that they seriously lowballed me on my starting salary, I'm kind of uncertain how to move forward. Any tips and advice are very welcome. Thanks!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't know anything about your field, but I will say that if you're moving from hourly to salary you'd drat well better get a big increase in total pay, because you are sure as hell going to get a big increase in hours.

The naive and unaware frequently get excited about promotions from an hourly role to a salaried one, only to discover they now work 30% more hours for a 10% higher paycheck.

But actually all of that is spilled milk in your case, because of this:

Johnny Truant posted:

But now that they're finally going to promote me to the position I should have been hired at initially, and taking into account that they seriously lowballed me on my starting salary

I know you don't want to hear this, but if it's actually true that you currently make far less than a person doing your job should, then the damage is done and you need to move to a different employer ASAP. By all means take the promotion for whatever increase in pay you can get, but you should be aiming at being gone in 6 months. And never ever ever let a future prospective employer strongarm you into revealing your current/last salary.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 3, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't know anything about your field, but I will say that if you're moving from hourly to salary you'd drat well better get a big increase in total pay, because you are sure as hell going to get a big increase in hours.

The naive and unaware frequently get excited about promotions from an hourly role to a salaried one, only to discover they now work 30% more hours for a 10% higher paycheck.

Ha, this was totally me at my first job! That was actually interesting because I went hourly->salaried->back to hourly. HR had a big stink about them not technically paying us when we would get called in on off-hours autopsy duty, so they switched us back to hourly. Which was actually amazing cause one week I think I had around 12 hours of overtime ON TOP OF the flat autopsy bonus pay they gave us :getin:

I work in a healthcare research laboratory, if that helps any future advice. I'm already working a fuckton, practically like a post-doc while not being one, so I'm fine with being salaried and working more than the ~42 that I am clocked in for. I love my job so that's no biggie!*

* not enough to not get paid properly for it, though

Eric the Mauve posted:

I know you don't want to hear this, but if it's actually true that you currently make far less than a person doing your job should, then the damage is done and you need to move to a different employer ASAP. By all means take the promotion for whatever increase in pay you can get, but you should be aiming at being gone in 6 months. And never ever ever let a future prospective employer strongarm you into revealing your current/last salary.

I should've specified that while they hardcore lowballed me, I negotiated up to at least a horizontal move from my previous job. This was more the HR department trying to underpay tech I's rather than anyone I deal with trying to just squeeze less money for me.

Fake edit: And I definitely know not to reveal previous salaries or anything like that to future employers. I'm not looking to switch jobs, since this job is 11/10 for making connections for furthering my career, and I have a limited amount of time here already(partner is in med school, and once she graduates we're getting the gently caress out of Boston cause gently caress this place).

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I have a phone interview later this afternoon with a recruiter. Since it's a recruiter I know the desired salary or range will come up. What's the best way to push back against this?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sock The Great posted:

I have a phone interview later this afternoon with a recruiter. Since it's a recruiter I know the desired salary or range will come up. What's the best way to push back against this?

"I'm not going to give you that information."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sock The Great posted:

This is a common question and I've always found it mystifying. Like it's literally the easiest question in the entire world to answer because the answer is only one syllable long: "No."

I'm not saying there's something wrong with you! it's more accurate to say there's something wrong with me. I've always had trouble comprehending how so many people can be so powerfully averse to just saying "No" to people, but it seems to be like a super common basic aspect of most humans.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So recruiters I feel are a little different. If you know your worth then you can absolutely dictate to a recruiter what you want. They more than likely have a job they’re trying to shop to you and you can quickly decide if it’s worth considering and going through the motions.

They’ll ask what your range is and you respond with what’s the budget they’re working with. If it’s good then say you can work with that.

Ask for Salary history? They can gently caress right off. Hard number you won’t go under? Sure maybe depending on how he conversation is going.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
I just read Never Split the Difference as recommended in this thread, and the author recommends saying a range (and picking non-round numbers to make it look like you've put more thought into it). So if your target is $90k, saying "$90,250 to 104,500 would be fair." He says they will ignore the larger number except it serves as an anchor that makes the smaller number seem more reasonable. This contradicts the OP.

Who is right?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teardrop posted:

I just read Never Split the Difference as recommended in this thread, and the author recommends saying a range (and picking non-round numbers to make it look like you've put more thought into it). So if your target is $90k, saying "$90,250 to 104,500 would be fair." He says they will ignore the larger number except it serves as an anchor that makes the smaller number seem more reasonable. This contradicts the OP.

Who is right?
Saying $90,250 instead of $90k is going to make you look like you're playing games and will come off as oddly aggressive. The problem with trying to anchor with the larger number is that there's an information disparity. The hiring manager knows what the budget is and what they pay everyone else at the company with similar roles. So they're already anchored on that internal number before you even walk in the door. So they'll just see the lower number and think that's what you need to take the job. Do the research and figure out what you're worth and what you'll take. Then state that number and say it depends on benefits and total compensation. That gives you flexibility to ask higher later and also gives you an out to take a lower number later if you need.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Last week I gave a single number to a recruiter and she got very, very confused. “That’s a very specific number. Can you provide, like, a range?”

Basically what she wanted was how much lower I could go. It was dumb.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vegetable posted:

Last week I gave a single number to a recruiter and she got very, very confused. “That’s a very specific number. Can you provide, like, a range?”

Basically what she wanted was how much lower I could go. It was dumb.

Oh that sounds like a great opportunity to go

"Okay, that number to that number + 15%".

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
"I would be willing to accept as much as $37k above that figure, but no more."

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Dik Hz posted:

The problem with trying to anchor with the larger number is that there's an information disparity. The hiring manager knows what the budget is and what they pay everyone else at the company with similar roles. So they're already anchored on that internal number before you even walk in the door. So they'll just see the lower number and think that's what you need to take the job. Do the research and figure out what you're worth and what you'll take. Then state that number and say it depends on benefits and total compensation. That gives you flexibility to ask higher later and also gives you an out to take a lower number later if you need.

Makes sense, thank you. Maybe when asking for a raise after giving your reasoning it would be good to say a range, so the low end seems like you’re already compromising?

Edit: New hypothetical question. If offered more responsibility for no pay, and the work won’t kill you or anything, and that responsibility comes with more pay at competitors, should you just say yes after unsuccessfully negotiating a raise? You can ask for a raise again a few months after proving yourself and if not get a better offer from the competitor. Why is more responsibility a bad thing?

teardrop fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

teardrop posted:

Makes sense, thank you. Maybe when asking for a raise after giving your reasoning it would be good to say a range, so the low end seems like you’re already compromising?

Edit: New hypothetical question. If offered more responsibility for no pay, and the work won’t kill you or anything, and that responsibility comes with more pay at competitors, should you just say yes after unsuccessfully negotiating a raise? You can ask for a raise again a few months after proving yourself and if not get a better offer from the competitor. Why is more responsibility a bad thing?
To answer your first question: there's no reason to be flexible in that way.

To answer your second question: because you're being paid the same amount of money to do more work.