Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My PS1 worked fine till I played Digimon World on it.

Numemon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even considering the living PS1's I have now, I'd say my experience with Sony consoles is overall negative when it comes to their long livedness. I've had a bunch of dead PS1s growing up, 3 or 4 dead PS2s thanks to lovely disc drives. I had the old only works upside down PS1 too, naturally.

The only PS2 I still have is a slim and it has a very, very finicky memory card slot 1 and very bizarre issue where it refuses to read dual layer DVDs unless I push above the memory card slot area with a fair degree of force. After it boots doing that, it reads without issue until it's powered off.

Both fat PS3s I had sounded like wind turbines and eventually got dead blu-ray drives. The slim (not the ugly rear end final slim revision) I have now works fine and runs silent. The PS4 I used to have in the house before it moved out with my brother works fine and runs very quietly, which I'm lead to believe is kinda rare for a launch PS4.

I just put it down to planned obsolescence.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have two fully working fat PS1's, one that is a Frankenstein made from dead friends that works fully*, a slim that is fine and the 2 dead friends hanging about so I can donate their organs to Frank if he needs them.

Not that I ever play any of them nowadays.

*No idea how.

And people wonder why my WiFi is called "LANOfTheDead". :sigh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Nintendo products, meanwhile, survive bomb strikes.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I've gotten over a decade of use out of my ancient PS1. It's been packed away for a while now but as far as I know it still works- the controller certainly does.

Been through two secondhand slim PS2s in six years though, neither of them with fully functioning controllers :sigh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Nintendo products, meanwhile, survive bomb strikes.

Nope. I have an n64 that only boots when the moon is in the right house. I hope, someday, to find out what house that is.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my anecdote is that I have a launch model PS2 that never had any disc read errors and still works fine today with the original DS2s

my PS1 definitely only worked sideways though, but to be fair I also tripped on one of the cables once.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Samizdata posted:

Nope. I have an n64 that only boots when the moon is in the right house. I hope, someday, to find out what house that is.

Alternatively: N64s can also survive getting shot by a shotgun

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

People seem to forget that Nintendo has been one of the most, if not the most prolific first party hardware companies for decades.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Samizdata posted:

My original NES sat in a pool of stagnant water for two years and still works perfectly (excepting the standard needing to blow into a cartridge every sixth game change or so). My SNES got stepped on so hard there's a 4cm hole in the case covered by packing tape, and also still works perfectly. Nothing really happened to my N64 besides getting an expansion thingy from a friend, but nonetheless, works perfectly.

...My fifth (at least) Gamecube stopped working 7 years ago. Moral of the story: cartridges forever. :reject:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Alternatively: N64s can also survive getting shot by a shotgun

Maybe that's the solution? :iiam:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Nintendium is impervious to all known materials except Mario Party, so you may want to test for that. Your local hardware store should have a kit to let you take samples of the air and paint around the Nintendo, check for exposure.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
You know what else takes a beating and keeps running? These segues!

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

Episode 16: The Battle of Michigan Avenue

In 1968, the Democratic Party nominated a loyal member of the party leadership that did not reflect their members' views and could not present a compelling vision of the future. Meanwhile, prophesies of civil unrest became self-fulfilling as protests provoked a police riot miles away from the convention itself. What sort of protest makes the most change? How do you make leaders listen? Does democracy end on election day?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I can finally post this without it being a spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSs4tGK7yvY

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm so happy you decided to share this with us.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The timing of that was INCREDIBLE.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
So, you would say that would be the Stretch of Us?

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Samizdata posted:

That would be once a century, when the moon is in the Eighth House of Aquarius, by means of a secret rite. But whatever you do, don't let the dim-witted servant mistakenly grab the ketchup bottle instead of the bottle of blood.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SorataYuy posted:

That would be once a century, when the moon is in the Eighth House of Aquarius, by means of a secret rite. But whatever you do, don't let the dim-witted servant mistakenly grab the ketchup bottle instead of the bottle of blood.

drat it! That was the problem! I guess I know where the next batch of blood is coming from then.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Kurieg posted:

I can finally post this without it being a spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSs4tGK7yvY

oh my god Gumby Nate. :allears: They should have made this a wacky cheat option.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I would argue that that is a feature of the game, and not a glitch. It's what replaced Doughnut Drake.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The magic of inverse kinematics continues to amaze.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so does this mean that the player is effectively the hands and the rest of the body is generated from there or?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

double nine posted:

so does this mean that the player is effectively the hands and the rest of the body is generated from there or?

It seems like Drake's body is animated to dynamically react to the environment, like his legs taking position on different parts of the ground's surface instead of having one foot floating in the air somewhere. So when you reach for something to grab, Drake's body actually does dynamically stretch toward it from wherever you are to take hold (rather than using canned animations or strict scripting or railroaded paths so only one thing has to be animated).

So when the game glitches and thinks Drake can grab something that's really too far for him, his body makes it work.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^ I think problem isn't that the jump is too far, it's that Drake's legs get caught up in a piece of scenery. Namely the hanging pirate. If it wasn't for that the jump would work just fine. So the hands make the jump just fine, but the legs get left behind. The game doesn't really know how to handle that, so we get gumby drake until his legs are freed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

double nine posted:

Kind of, but not quite.

It means that the hands and feet are the main ways in which the whole body is positioned: they attach to various points on the ground or on ledges, and the arm, leg, and body position is adjusted to match. This is the whole point of “inverse kinematics”: you calculate backwards from those connection points and derive the character's stance from that, rather than have fixed positions and animations for everything.

It's only the fine positioning that depends on any of that, and exactly what model is used can be changed depending on the situation. So you have one set of rules for when the character is standing and walking; one for when it's running; one for climbing; and an additional layer for interactions like shooting guns and the like. But the full body is still the full body, and it's still relevant for all other kinds of interactions.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Please invest in Sullivan's Skin Solution, my entire life's savings is running on how well this business venture succeeds.

Episode 18: Skin Care.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Seeing Libertalia kinda makes me wish we got to see more of the ancient village in 2, since that part is mostly all action without much time to rest.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Who's a good gun? Who's a good gun? You! YOU'RE A GOOD GUN! Yes, you are! Yes, you are!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That was a smooth as hell cut at 18:45!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lots of people/countries eat horses.

Not good if they slip it in your value brand lasagna without telling you though...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Lots of people/countries eat horses.

Not good if they slip it in your value brand lasagna without telling you though...

It's called hamburger meat around here. Still unsure if that's just to trick the tourists, though… :D

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Chip Cheezum posted:

Please invest in Sullivan's Skin Solution, my entire life's savings is running on how well this business venture succeeds.

Episode 18: Skin Care.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

how do you make these gorgeous drawing-like screengrabs?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'd buy Sullivan's Skin Solution.

I also do not make sound financial decisions.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
okay if you're gonna throw in random dutch(south african) in the goons chatter
the least you can do is not glue two separate words together (Pasop instead of Pas Op)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DeafNote posted:

okay if you're gonna throw in random dutch(south african) in the goons chatter
the least you can do is not glue two separate words together (Pasop instead of Pas Op)
"Pasop" is an actual word in Afrikaans. Afrikaans may sound a lot like Dutch (and it evolved from it), but it has become a distinct language with its own vocabulary, grammar rules, etc.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 21, 2016

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
... Was that a kookaburra off in the distance? I didn't realise Libertalia was actually in Australia all along.

(Oh - or New Guinea; apparently they're found there too.)

Man, this part of the game is gorgeous. Like every other part of the game, yeah - but it looks like it would be great to explore. It sort of makes me wish Naughty Dog were making... I don't know, some kind of open-world games, maybe. They're obviously masters at what they do, but I'm just not into relatively straightforward third-person action games.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

the random rules spread around remind me of Blackthorne's Virtues in Ultima V.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Raygereio posted:

"Pasop" is an actual word in Afrikaans. Afrikaans may sound a lot like Dutch (and it evolved from it), but it has become a distinct language with its own vocabulary, grammar rules, etc.

then I blame the south africans instead

(then again, I think they had a hard enough time. except now they keep turning into villain henchmen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Man, I was halfway through a post Jewsplaining kosher laws, and then you went and looked it up. Recognizing a place of misunderstanding and correcting it on your own? You're not allowed to do that!

• Locked thread