Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don't care if you're bullshitting, I care if you can write code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

lol if you don't just sit down w/ the candidate and ask them to talk about their previous work because you're not confident enough to spot a bullshitter from a mile off

some call it profiling, but what do i know

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Bloody posted:

i dont remember how bubblesort even works

i always find this very soothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPRA0W1kECg

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sapozhnik posted:

lol if you don't just sit down w/ the candidate and ask them to talk about their previous work because you're not confident enough to spot a bullshitter from a mile off

grey thread consensus is that all questions about past work are useless because candidates can just lie

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

okay i like this guy

also, lol

https://twitter.com/bradly/status/837347223935447041

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sapozhnik posted:

you're that guy who gets conned because they think they're too smart to get conned

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

grey thread consensus is that all questions about past work are useless because candidates can just lie

solution: apply to be a sales engineer or product evangelist or whatever FAEs are called in the valley these days

then if they believe your lies it qualifies you for the job!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

raminasi posted:

yes this seems to be it; this is something that is evidently only an epidemic in this industry and thus all candidates must prove their peerage with The Whiteboard Trials less they "can't code"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
normally i've been asked much more about past projects once i've got to the second interview and the first one is usually ultra basic stuff like "what's an abstract class for" or "give me an example of a clustering algorithm and describe how it works" which if you can't answer is probably a bad sign (at least in my field)

in other job search news, i can't find any work i want to do anywhere i'd want to do it. if my life ambition were to be a .net dev in london things would be so much easier

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

normally i've been asked much more about past projects once i've got to the second interview and the first one is usually ultra basic stuff like "what's an abstract class for" or "give me an example of a clustering algorithm and describe how it works" which if you can't answer is probably a bad sign (at least in my field)

in other job search news, i can't find any work i want to do anywhere i'd want to do it. if my life ambition were to be a .net dev in london things would be so much easier

what the heck is your life ambition that being a .net dev in london sounds bad?? assuming you're getting paid appropriately to live in london that sounds sweet

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh "a .net dev in london" sounds like probably all business app development which is kind of a grinding hell of existence

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DHH is the "ruby on rails is omakase" guy but yeah, he just went up a few points in my book

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

is there like some intended super clever solution to string reversal or do they seriously just want to know if you can iterate over something backwards? i see people mention this as an interview question way too often and my irl answer would be like "what platform? how is the string represented internally and what APIs are available to examine it?" and so on. or does the question just also assume that you automatically go to c strings?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

cis autodrag posted:

is there like some intended super clever solution to string reversal or do they seriously just want to know if you can iterate over something backwards? i see people mention this as an interview question way too often and my irl answer would be like "what platform? how is the string represented internally and what APIs are available to examine it?" and so on. or does the question just also assume that you automatically go to c strings?

its pretty much just to be patronizing; you know, to eliminate the NOT REAL CODERS!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bloody posted:

what the heck is your life ambition that being a .net dev in london sounds bad?? assuming you're getting paid appropriately to live in london that sounds sweet

first, i don't really want to be a developer and second, london is one of the cities in europe i least want to live in. it just sucks that the majority of the uk tech job market is like london, guildford, reading, maaaybe oxford. i.e., london and essentially london exurbs

i guess .net is ok though, and yeah the money seems to be pretty good. hoping i can find something in glasgow but it's slim pickings for computer vision stuff. maybe i should apply to mathworks, they're looking for someone to do hdl stuff. i've never touched an asic but how hard can it be?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

the question is dead simple and so is the answer. reverse a c string. do not overthink it. there is no clever solution. literally just iterate and swap.

the reason they ask it is because a surprising number of people cannot do this extremely easy task. any competent person can do it in ten seconds and then the interview moves on to more difficult questions, but if they can't then you know it's over right there and don't even bother asking anything more challenging.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

they're looking for someone to do hdl stuff. i've never touched an asic but how hard can it be?

no dont

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes heaven forbid we try to filter out people who cannot code from a job where they are expected to do that.

whiteboarding is not at all representative of day-to-day programming though, it only needs to be a good enough test to weed out fraudulent applicants.

you still have to establish that the candidate actually understands wtf they are doing and aren't just regurgitating a rote memorized answer.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the uk's economy is centralized on london to an absolutely ridiculous degree so the pay is garbage compared to what you'd get in any sane western country because employers have the workforce over a barrel. to say nothing of the rent.

learn german or something and go work in germany instead.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sapozhnik posted:

yes heaven forbid we try to filter out people who cannot code from a job where they are expected to do that.

whiteboarding is not at all representative of day-to-day programming though, it only needs to be a good enough test to weed out fraudulent applicants.

you still have to establish that the candidate actually understands wtf they are doing and aren't just regurgitating a rote memorized answer.

you can tell pretty easily. I've had candidates just print out an answer on the board and then not be able to answer anything about it. you really want them to write something, then discuss it, what the performance is or drawbacks are and how to improve it. it's not about writing something that would compile and run, it's about seeing how they think and analyze code.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sapozhnik posted:

the uk's economy is centralized on london to an absolutely ridiculous degree so the pay is garbage compared to what you'd get in any sane western country because employers have the workforce over a barrel. to say nothing of the rent.

learn german or something and go work in germany instead.

yeah that's the plan. i already speak german and dutch, looking to move to scandinavia next i so i can complete the germanic language set

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
For a C string, definitely. For a text string, I believe the correct answer is "Unicode does not have a concept of string reversal".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

For a C string, definitely. For a text string, I believe the correct answer is "Unicode does not have a concept of string reversal".

i have embedded c on my resume so this question when I've gotten it is just a char* so it makes sense

does everyone gently caress up the phrasing for higher level languages?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

but it's slim pickings for computer vision stuff
do you have a CS phd

if so you should go to the US

if not lol you aren't getting hired as a CV researcher. or any kind of researcher in fact. them's the breaks.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

(occasionally ppl with masters manage to break into industry research, but it's usually via doing monkey work for the guys with phds for a few years. if that's your plan, may as well get the phd instead)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i don't really want to live in the us. i've been working as a cv researcher for about five years, at universities and in industry, but for some reason i'm struggling to find anything i even want to apply for at the moment. i guess if i spend a couple months just taking the dog for walks and messing with personal projects while i look for something good then, apart from the gap in my cv, it's not the end of the world

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i mean, i could see myself loving up remembering how to get the string's length in c because i dont do it much, but assuming they'll accept "given the length i would do this" that's pretty easy.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the clever way is to also do it in place in an array and use an xor swap :smug:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
jfc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

correct approach is to spend some time developing a uniform developer test + grading system thats plausibly relevant to some aspect of your business (ie is representative of day-to-day work demands) and then to spend some time introducing the candidate to the system before giving them whatever the appropriate amount of time to complete the test is

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

lancemantis posted:

yeah i like leaving myself a good chance to zero out the middle element

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lancemantis posted:

every time i get the array reversal question i mention that you could also do it entirely in place with xors but that its a dumb clever hack and interviewers have always liked that answer

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
weird hacks for simple solutions means they might be broken in the brain

a few days ago, i ran into a production code bug that hosed up a encryption because they wanted to be cute with System.arraycopy. The actual hard part was already an apache library. The code was just splitting strings into 16 byte chunks and padding

It's been live for 2 years which means my job is completely meaningless anyways

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

i don't really want to live in the us. i've been working as a cv researcher for about five years, at universities and in industry, but for some reason i'm struggling to find anything i even want to apply for at the moment. i guess if i spend a couple months just taking the dog for walks and messing with personal projects while i look for something good then, apart from the gap in my cv, it's not the end of the world

giving your dog walkies is never wasted time :unsmith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

first, i don't really want to be a developer and second, london is one of the cities in europe i least want to live in. it just sucks that the majority of the uk tech job market is like london, guildford, reading, maaaybe oxford. i.e., london and essentially london exurbs

i guess .net is ok though, and yeah the money seems to be pretty good. hoping i can find something in glasgow but it's slim pickings for computer vision stuff. maybe i should apply to mathworks, they're looking for someone to do hdl stuff. i've never touched an asic but how hard can it be?

cambridge is nice, arm are based there and they are doing computer vision stuff now.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

vodkat posted:

giving your dog walkies is never wasted time :unsmith:

today we visited a windfarm and she really hated it, the noise of the blades was too much for her i think. cool place to walk around without a dog though, those turbines are really loving big and it's a seriously bizarre landscape to be in

i had to give her lots of reassuring tummy rubs when we got back to the car

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
people love them xor tricks; I had someone tell me about puzzles involving counting the occurrences of an item in a list with xors

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

basically everything on this page is cool but basically nothing on this page should be used in production:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

today we visited a windfarm and she really hated it, the noise of the blades was too much for her i think. cool place to walk around without a dog though, those turbines are really loving big and it's a seriously bizarre landscape to be in

i had to give her lots of reassuring tummy rubs when we got back to the car

if it makes your dog feel any better i have an adult friend that is terrified of wind farms because they were taken for a walk around some one sunday afternoon when they were a toddler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

vodkat posted:

if it makes your dog feel any better i have an adult friend that is terrified of wind farms because they were taken for a walk around some one sunday afternoon when they were a toddler

she's ok now, in fact she probably came out ahead because i felt bad and got her some pigs' ears to chew. i'd suggest trying tummy rubs and dried food waste with your friend, seems to be a winner

• Locked thread