Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Made a shirt

This is just a dry run, gonna do a better one on a better shirt with a few more details. Sorry about the cat hairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There is turtle wallpaper in Georgie's room. Just FYI.
Hmm, I distinctly remember the wallpaper being circus-themed when Bill goes in there and cries. He does pick up the Lego turtle though.

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 15, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SMG I have bad news, Pennywise the Dancing Clown is real and so I'm afraid your analysis is critically flawed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

SMG I have bad news, Pennywise the Dancing Clown is real and so I'm afraid your analysis is critically flawed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5KDc4_PQQc

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Curious how these moments square in. My thought throughout IT with questions of perception was that the main perspective was Derry / IT tormenting the kids. The idea Bill creates Pennywise and gets the others to play along seems at odds with the kids each telling their stories about how - no, Bill, this stuff is real and Georgie is dead and you need to accept that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

One of my favorite things over and over with King's work that I've loved is the idea of situations or things that just should not be real, things that are pure fantasy, in your imagination, out of a bad movie, too strange, too out there, turning around into "nope, they really are there, that impossible thing is real", and then how real people try and deal with that. Salem's Lot and the idea of vampires, The Mist and B movie monsters from another dimension, IT and childhood fears of the boogyman, and on and on. Its one of my absolute favorite traits of his stories.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This scene kind of reminds me of the Judge Doom scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Which works out timeline wise for being something Pennywise would invoke.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Steve2911 posted:

I really like the way they hinted at the manifestations of It being parts of a large creature. The way Pennywise moved, especially whenever he was fleeing or chasing, made him look like he was at the end of a giant invisible tentacle.

I can totally imagine the 'true form' in this version being some sort of gigantic Eldritch octopus that can reach anywhere and everywhere in Derry at once.

^ Agreed, but Watchmen is trash simply by the virtue of trying.

A little moment I enjoyed was in the basement after It almost nabbed Bill and sliiiid back towards the water instead of moving naturally. Came off very puppet-like.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Whoolighams posted:

A little moment I enjoyed was in the basement after It almost nabbed Bill and sliiiid back towards the water instead of moving naturally. Came off very puppet-like.

One of the key things about Mark Skarsgard's performance, that I think elevates it above Curry's, is that Curry was essentially playing a child-killer adult, like a Gacy or Dahmer. His sussurations are those of every parent's nightmare, a clown abductor. Skarsgard's Pennywise is, instead, the sort of inhuman, impossible monster a kid would be freaked out by, where an adult would simply disbelieve.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mantis42 posted:

You, sir, obviously are unfamiliar with the concept of subtext. SMG will explain it to you and...bleh..

I honestly can never tell if SMG is ever serious or simply just constantly jacking off with too much time on his hands, but either way his posts suck and come off pretentious either way so I might suggest the ignore button. It worked for me.

And I don't suggest, wield or throw that power around lightly.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Can't wait to meet Pennywise at the Juggalo March on Washington this Saturday.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

Made a shirt

This is just a dry run, gonna do a better one on a better shirt with a few more details. Sorry about the cat hairs.

Hm....

I'm a graphic designer myself so excuse the critique but something seems...off...about it and I can't put my finger on it. Was it a 2 color job? I'd change out the red to something much deeper, make the shadows more dense and make the whole piece less "detailed". Meaning don't describe the face, the boat and the hand so much by filling all that stuff in with white as if it were entirely a line drawing. Use the shadows more to make the white pop and really define everything.

The composition is fine. I just think you need to work on the contrast, the color palette and the lighting. If you want to make it uniquely yours, maybe add some rain drop texture to break it up and add a layer to it. Possibly suggest the sewer grate or the curb in a "pattern" sort of way or as a way to frame the piece as well.

there you go. Some advice you never asked for.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Whoolighams posted:

Like, hands down my favorite scene in the movie. The way he slamdunks Georgie into the water before the charge and everything is just perfect.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Saw it with my friend last night. He *never* laughs at jokes in movies/tv. He laughed at Richie's best line.

Ben: Derry was originally a beaver trapping camp.
Richie: Still is! Am I right, boys? *goes for high five, left hanging*

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BiggerBoat posted:

Hm....

I'm a graphic designer myself so excuse the critique but something seems...off...about it and I can't put my finger on it. Was it a 2 color job? I'd change out the red to something much deeper, make the shadows more dense and make the whole piece less "detailed". Meaning don't describe the face, the boat and the hand so much by filling all that stuff in with white as if it were entirely a line drawing. Use the shadows more to make the white pop and really define everything.

The composition is fine. I just think you need to work on the contrast, the color palette and the lighting. If you want to make it uniquely yours, maybe add some rain drop texture to break it up and add a layer to it. Possibly suggest the sewer grate or the curb in a "pattern" sort of way or as a way to frame the piece as well.

Hello, fellow Graphic Design loser.

I agree with everything BiggerBoat said. Rendering off of a still is a bit of a tightrope in terms of how much detail to include. I think you have too much here in this case; it gives it a kind of fuzzy appearance that looks like a photo pushed through 16-bit rendering. Take out some of the gradients and make the colors and levels more absolute, and I think it'll really pop. Especially if you punch up the yellow in the eyes.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 15, 2017

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Hm....

No, I appreciate it! Been thinking about just that- I used a stencil for the outline but I wanted it as a suggestion rather than something to fill in. I used a square sponge and the basic white and red fabric paints I had on hand, but you're right about highlights. On my next try I will see if I can use the black background more to define shadows and shapes. Fade the red lines to black toward the top. Also gonna add a hint of red for the hair and some of the collar, and maybe a little of the running water at the bottom.

Graphic design has never been a strong point of mine, I'm a 3d person, but when I get a project in my head I have to teach myself crap :/

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mantis42 posted:

That notwithstanding.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fart City posted:

Hello, fellow Graphic Design loser.

I agree with everything BiggerBoat said. Rendering off of a still is a bit of a tightrope in terms of how much detail to include. I think you have too much here in this case; it gives it a kind of fuzzy appearance that looks like a photo pushed through 16-bit rendering. Take out some of the gradients and make the colors and levels more absolute, and I think it'll really pop. Especially if you punch up the yellow in the eyes.

That's "MISTER Loser" to you, thank you very much.

I started to offer this and didn't because I know SA hates Frank Miller but the more I think about it I'd suggest that the artist look at some Sin City stuff. Not to ape the style but just for the way he used light and shadow to define shapes and suggest depth. It's too flat I think. Maybe approach it as a scratch board or a even a woodcut. I think just losing some white would go a long way and definitely think adding a "scratched in" rain pattern or even some different sized rain drops on the "lens" would add a lot to it and flavor it up some.

Croisquessein posted:

No, I appreciate it! Been thinking about just that- I used a stencil for the outline but I wanted it as a suggestion rather than something to fill in. I used a square sponge and the basic white and red fabric paints I had on hand, but you're right about highlights. On my next try I will see if I can use the black background more to define shadows and shapes. Fade the red lines to black toward the top. Also gonna add a hint of red for the hair and some of the collar, and maybe a little of the running water at the bottom.

Graphic design has never been a strong point of mine, I'm a 3d person, but when I get a project in my head I have to teach myself crap :/

Start with a black board then add white but only where you need it. Put the red in sparingly to make it snap. Pop it with the yellow eyes but don't make them flat circles. Add the suggestion of rain somehow.

I'll expect my shirt in the mail when you are finished.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 15, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'm telling you right now: if somebody put out a t-shirt of Pennywise's face in the vein of The Misfits' crimson ghost skull, using only black, white, and red in the palette, they would make a stupid amount of money.

LOOKIN AT YOU, HOT TOPIC.

YOU DICKS.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Definitely gonna yellow up the eyes and teeth. I like Miller's work well enough but I was really trying to mimic an airbrush look with soft gradients rather than hard shadows. I learned a bit from the first so I'm sure the second will be more what I'm going for. Maybe I should use brushes instead of just a sponge.

^ I'll prepare my Paypal

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

Definitely gonna yellow up the eyes and teeth. I like Miller's work well enough but I was really trying to mimic an airbrush look with soft gradients rather than hard shadows. I learned a bit from the first so I'm sure the second will be more what I'm going for. Maybe I should use brushes instead of just a sponge.

Interesting. Only thing I can picture in my mind's eye is the exact opposite of that approach but it sounds like you have a vision so go nuts. Post the results.

Holy poo poo. How many Pennywise's are gonna be in DC this weekend with the Juggalo march?

With that, Trump and IT it's really been the Year of the Clown, hasn't it? I actually think I'm forgetting something else that goes with it too.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 15, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw a Tim Curry Pennywise shirt at WalMart, but if I'll be honest with you all...kinda prefer Skarsgard all around.

Curry rules but I've ever been much of a fan of It the TV movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Croisquessein posted:

I like Miller's work well enough but I was really trying to mimic an airbrush look with soft gradients rather than hard shadows.

"Painting on the side of a carnival ride" is a solid aesthetic choice, in this instance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want a dancing Pennywise shirt

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Saul Goode posted:

The film wasn't bad, it just taunted book fans with enough nods to the source material to make you think it was going to be a faithful adaptation, and then it said gently caress it and gave us a movie about Bev and her friends learning about the power of friendship. It's hard not to be disappointed.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

"Painting on the side of a carnival ride" is a solid aesthetic choice, in this instance.

I hadn't thought of that but I like it. Really wasn't going for cheesy, more like abbreviated realism.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

I hadn't thought of that but I like it. Really wasn't going for cheesy, more like abbreviated realism.

Agreed. That's a really good idea if you want to go with a "gradient" approach. Make it look like a cheesy airbushed painting on a fun house ride. Very cool idea and a neat way to separate your design from the stills while still fitting in with your vision for the shirt.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

CelticPredator posted:

I want a dancing Pennywise shirt

A hologram one where Pennywise keeps dancing no matter your position to the shirt would be cool. I'd also dig one where Skarsgard's eerily controlled lazy eye follows the viewer around while the rest remains static.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Curious how these moments square in. My thought throughout IT with questions of perception was that the main perspective was Derry / IT tormenting the kids. The idea Bill creates Pennywise and gets the others to play along seems at odds with the kids each telling their stories about how - no, Bill, this stuff is real and Georgie is dead and you need to accept that.

Two points here:

One, you're thinking along the lines of D&D, with Billy as the dungeon master, but that's not the case. None of the kids are 'in charge'; they're all playing Bloody Mary in the dark, freaking themselves out.

Remember, Berverley unwittingly co-created the game by inviting the boys up to her bathroom. Bill then established the ground-rules by insisting that they clean the imaginary blood. But it wasn't 'til the fourth kid chimed in that 'it was a clown wot did it, guvnah!' that Kill The Clown became a game that they could all enjoy.

And the entire appeal of this game is its therapeutic effect. The kids are playing at killing the Alien Queen, overcoming their trauma, and returning to a normal life as husbands and housewives - exactly like Ripley in Aliens (1986).

Two, what we are seeing in the film is a second- or even third-hand version of the game - the perspective of an adult struggling to understand. The point I've been approaching is that, like in Pixar's Toy Story 3 and Inside Out, we are probably seeing everything from the perspective of Bill's offscreen mother as she tries to imagine what her son went through. What we get is a tension between this 'good mother' and Pennywise as her evil alter ego, the exploiter - the manifestation of her failure to take care of these kids. Note the dark woman on the TV who serves as a surrogate mom to, seemingly, the entire town. It's a clear expression of how Bill's mom simply wasn't there for him.

Again, this goes back to the slideshow, and how Pennywise emerges at the point that Bill has seemingly forgotten his mother's face. The photo captures an exact point where she disrupts the unity of the picture by laughing with the wind that blows in from out of frame. This, and the shot of her caught up in music, are the only two images of her we see.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BiggerBoat posted:

You, sir, obviously are unfamiliar with the concept of subtext. SMG will explain it to you and...bleh..

I honestly can never tell if SMG is ever serious or simply just constantly jacking off with too much time on his hands, but either way his posts suck and come off pretentious either way so I might suggest the ignore button. It worked for me.

And I don't suggest, wield or throw that power around lightly.

I think the problem with that sort of analysis is, whether its serious or in jest, by rhetorically creating all this hidden "true" meaning for a film, you render it meaningless. It's like LEGO blocks, its fun to take apart the castle or police station, pirate ship, whatever and build a space ship out of it, but when thats all that is done you're just left with identical piles of blocks and your own imagination. Theres no more castle, no more pirate ship, every set is a castle, every set is a space ship, every set is a car wash. When you make whatever you want out of the pieces, theres no real entity there any more, everything loses its shape into one grey lump.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tom Guycot posted:

I think the problem with that sort of analysis is, whether its serious or in jest, by rhetorically creating all this hidden "true" meaning for a film, you render it meaningless. It's like LEGO blocks, its fun to take apart the castle or police station, pirate ship, whatever and build a space ship out of it, but when thats all that is done you're just left with identical piles of blocks and your own imagination. Theres no more castle, no more pirate ship, every set is a castle, every set is a space ship, every set is a car wash. When you make whatever you want out of the pieces, theres no real entity there any more, everything loses its shape into one grey lump.

this is the saddest and emptiest understanding of LEGO I've ever seen, guy

like, are you sure you don't need help right now

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Doppelganger posted:

Saw it with my friend last night. He *never* laughs at jokes in movies/tv. He laughed at Richie's best line.

Ben: Derry was originally a beaver trapping camp.
Richie: Still is! Am I right, boys? *goes for high five, left hanging*

Nonsense. Richie's best line is clearly, "...and now I'm going to have to kill this loving clown!" :toughguy:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is the saddest and emptiest understanding of LEGO I've ever seen, guy

like, are you sure you don't need help right now

Lol, well like I said, its fun, but the sets lose their individual meaning. I never said it wasn't fun to play and build with legos, my point was just in doing that you lose the uniqueness of the particular set, and every set is just essentially the same set of blocks. This is fun and intended though for building blocks, but a movie/show/book whatever loses something when you treat it like toy blocks devoid of any meaning but what you build.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, that sounds grim. For example this:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Two, what we are seeing in the film is a second- or even third-hand version of the game - the perspective of an adult struggling to understand. The point I've been approaching is that, like in Pixar's Toy Story 3 and Inside Out, we are probably seeing everything from the perspective of Bill's offscreen mother as she tries to imagine what her son went through. What we get is a tension between this 'good mother' and Pennywise as her evil alter ego, the exploiter - the manifestation of her failure to take care of these kids. Note the dark woman on the TV who serves as a surrogate mom to, seemingly, the entire town. It's a clear expression of how Bill's mom simply wasn't there for him.

Again, this goes back to the slideshow, and how Pennywise emerges at the point that Bill has seemingly forgotten his mother's face. The photo captures an exact point where she disrupts the unity of the picture by laughing with the wind that blows in from out of frame. This, and the shot of her caught up in music, are the only two images of her we see.

Is a very interesting way to interpret a really great scene and has nothing to do with a "true" meaning. It's simply discussing what the movie provides you with. For example, why is Pennywise directly associated with women at least like six times in this film?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Croisquessein posted:

Made a shirt

Pennywise seems too cheerful IMO.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
As someone that isnt a graphic designer, i like the shirt you made

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Thank you!

Second round, much better.

Obviously screwed up the neck ruff thing and the lighting is too bright still, though it doesn't look as bad as the photo makes it. And the eyes are yellow but you can't really see it. Boat position is off. But I'm getting there.

Also I have NO IDEA how much of that will survive the washing machine, so there's that too.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Croisquessein posted:

Thank you!

Second round, much better.

Obviously screwed up the neck ruff thing and the lighting is too bright still, though it doesn't look as bad as the photo makes it. And the eyes are yellow but you can't really see it. Boat position is off. But I'm getting there.

Also I have NO IDEA how much of that will survive the washing machine, so there's that too.

it almost seems like his eyes should be more lazy and spread apart. that was the creepiest thing about them in this movie.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

NiceGuy posted:

Nonsense. Richie's best line is clearly, "...and now I'm going to have to kill this loving clown!" :toughguy:
I'll settle for calling them 1a and 1b if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Agreed. Finn Wolfhard kinda rules.

• Locked thread