Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is there a console command that allows me to add community memebers from my pool or do I need a mod for that? For some reason I cannot start a new game unless I go through the tutorial, which means I can't select the three folks i leveled up and loaded out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

anyone else havin problems with leader missions not firing off? ive been waiting for days to finish this drat map but the warlord final mission wont ever be offered, ive tried to demote and put in a new warlord leader and nothing seems to change anything :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Found one of my two missing dead survivors randomly in a mob about a mile away from where she died. That was sort of surreal. She was not lootable though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

bean mom posted:

anyone else havin problems with leader missions not firing off? ive been waiting for days to finish this drat map but the warlord final mission wont ever be offered, ive tried to demote and put in a new warlord leader and nothing seems to change anything :(

If you're doing the warlord legacy odds are you recently killed some other enclaves. Still it might be an idea to kill off another enclave and then do a quick quit-restart. And then avoid using your leader for a bit.

I had a very recent problem where having too many enclaves on the map prevented a mission from appearing (9-10 of them). I also had a situation where a character mission was keeping me from using somebody else in my base. This was because this mission had an optional dialogue just before completing it (it is the one where you're recovering a medicine rucksack from your former drug dealer). So they were glued to the base until I finished that.

And I was able to recruit a Red Talon guy, but I wasn't able to to ask him to follow me while in my base. I had to switch to him, ask another character to follow and then switch back. I guess this is a bug that might occur if you haven't played Daybreak yet. So perhaps there is another potential issue if you have a Red Talon leader before playing Daybreak?

Here is a page that lists Red Talon specific skills and quirks if you aren't sure: https://state-of-decay-2.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Talon_Contractors

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 24, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Google is not helping me, has anyone used the community editor to import characters from your pool or is it just for making new ones?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Google is not helping me, has anyone used the community editor to import characters from your pool or is it just for making new ones?

Yes but you have to export them first. However exported characters can be edited, cloned whatever to your heart's content

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yes but you have to export them first. However exported characters can be edited, cloned whatever to your heart's content

since that community is finished, I can't do that and whatever mod conflict or bug prevents me from starting a new community unless I play through the tutorial, I might as well just start a fresh game and remember to export before I go into the final mission.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Oh i see what you meant now. Sorry.

The community editor only works for active communities, since that's how the game's save system works

But once you export a character you can then use them in any other community

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok the Followers are completely incapable of not just trying to fight juggernauts until they die and it’s the cheapest most unfair bullshit.

I have lost multiple survivors because they absolutely refuse to follow me and just instantly die every time a juggernaut is near.

I think I’m pretty much just done even bringing followers along. They are more of a liability than anything because the stupid AI sucks dog dick.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

veni veni veni posted:

Ok the Followers are completely incapable of not just trying to fight juggernauts until they die and it’s the cheapest most unfair bullshit.

I have lost multiple survivors because they absolutely refuse to follow me and just instantly die every time a juggernaut is near.

I think I’m pretty much just done even bringing followers along. They are more of a liability than anything because the stupid AI sucks dog dick.

It seems like every survivor that's not player-controlled has to engage every juggernaut they see, no matter what. And since every juggernaut is infected with blood plague (dread diff and up), even if they/we do kill the fucker, they probably need immediate infection-attention. I generally just haul rear end away from a juggernaut as soon as I see/hear them in the area (or try to lure them to an enclave/base if there's one nearby), especially if I have followers. It's just not worth engaging them most of the time, and there are much easier ways to get plague samples.

edit:

Soonmot posted:

since that community is finished, I can't do that and whatever mod conflict or bug prevents me from starting a new community unless I play through the tutorial, I might as well just start a fresh game and remember to export before I go into the final mission.

Can you start a new community, play the tutorial, get to the first safehouse on a map (this part probably isn't necessary, just getting to the map should work), then hop back to the menu and start another community that doesn't force you through the tutorial? I'm sure you've tried this already, but it's the only thing I could think of that might work.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 27, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Followers will disengage from zombies if you move far enough away from them. Don't wait for them to follow you, just run. Standing waiting for them just gives the juggernaut time to catch up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I do run. And they don’t follow. It only takes a juggernaut about 4 seconds before they rip the follower in half. Maybe I’m not running far enough because once I can tell they are going to die I usually turn around and try to distract the juggernaut by shooting it.

If there is one lesson I think I’ve learned it’s to never let the AI control your good characters at the very least. The odds of them getting themselves killed is just way too high. And I’m still getting the bug where no corpse is left more than half time, so I usually just lose all of their gear.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've never taken a follower on a mission with me, do they provide any benefit for the seemingly huge liability of potentially losing them?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've never taken a follower on a mission with me, do they provide any benefit for the seemingly huge liability of potentially losing them?

If they're in an allied Enclave, you can sell them all the junk in a building that you don't have room to carry.

I never bring my community members with me unless I'm forced to for a mission.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 27, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The benefit of community members is the double inventory. And they do actually kill a lot of zombies. But sometimes they just randomly won’t get in a car or stop fighting and RIP.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I got back in the game with a Dread Zone playthrough and I pretty much brought someone with me all the time.

Then I started the Heartlands DLC last week and I learned the hard way that can be terrible habit. Then again, it didn't help that a sloppy fight against a plague feral was interrupted by a plague juggernaut.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I do run. And they don’t follow. It only takes a juggernaut about 4 seconds before they rip the follower in half. Maybe I’m not running far enough because once I can tell they are going to die I usually turn around and try to distract the juggernaut by shooting it.
If you get far enough away I think your follower teleports to you, so just keep running basically.

But I'm also among those who just never bring followers along in the first place (because they're dumb as poo poo) so my recall may be unreliable re: their mechanics.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I can almost see bringing along someone not from your community as a distraction. If you borrow someone from an enclave and they die, does the enclave break up like if you'd recruited them?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Woebin posted:

If you get far enough away I think your follower teleports to you, so just keep running basically.

But I'm also among those who just never bring followers along in the first place (because they're dumb as poo poo) so my recall may be unreliable re: their mechanics.

I don't think they teleport but getting far enough away might put them into "simulated" mode where for performance reasons they aren't actually doing full pathfinding/physics/etc. and it allows them to basically just take a direct path towards you rather than needing to climb over fences or find their way through houses and so on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

I can almost see bringing along someone not from your community as a distraction. If you borrow someone from an enclave and they die, does the enclave break up like if you'd recruited them?

Nope. If you want to dismantle an enclave that isn't hostile you'll need hire all three of them once.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 27, 2021

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Kind of grimly funny to imagine the same guy showing up and enticing members of an enclave away to their deaths one by one.

Can your own community members ever be recruited away if morale is really low? I never let it go low to see what the impacts are.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

25 hours or so and I can’t upgrade my command center to level 3 because rng has never given me the book or character I need :sigh:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Kind of grimly funny to imagine the same guy showing up and enticing members of an enclave away to their deaths one by one.

Can your own community members ever be recruited away if morale is really low? I never let it go low to see what the impacts are.

Supposedly, a member can leave if their morale is too low for too long but I've never seen it happen.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

I'm honestly surprised to see that so many of you don't bring a community member along with you. I'm playing on nightmare difficulty and I almost always have someone with me. Sure, I've lost several people, but in the vast majority of those cases I think it's been more due to me as the player putting us into a lovely situation than the AI not being great.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Analog posted:

I'm honestly surprised to see that so many of you don't bring a community member along with you. I'm playing on nightmare difficulty and I almost always have someone with me. Sure, I've lost several people, but in the vast majority of those cases I think it's been more due to me as the player putting us into a lovely situation than the AI not being great.

Besides followers doing right for Juggernauts, they also like to fire their guns and melee zombies loudly. Since I usually play on Lethal when I'm not loving around, I prefer being silent and sneaky.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the zombie scent potion work while doing plague hearts? Seems like it would totally trivialize them. And it lasts like 5+ minutes which is crazy.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've found a simple boombox outside to be very helpful in keeping a bunch of them busy while we work on the plague heart.

And speaking of boomboxes, another wonderful unexpected detail I noticed was there are at least 2 different songs that play from a boombox, one a metal tune and the other a techno track. Just a great generous setting they've provided.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Does the zombie scent potion work while doing plague hearts? Seems like it would totally trivialize them. And it lasts like 5+ minutes which is crazy.

It does. Scentblock and C4 makes plague hearts a breeze on Nightmare at least.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is destroying all the plague hearts on the map the main thing you do? And then you go through a map exit?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

No, destroying all the hearts will trigger your leader’s legacy quests. It doesn’t start a timer or put you on rails to the end game until you start that last mission (you’ll get a warning about this) so you can explore/loot/do side quests to your heart’s content. If you change maps you’ll have to deal with a fresh set of hearts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

No, destroying all the hearts will trigger your leader’s legacy quests. It doesn’t start a timer or put you on rails to the end game until you start that last mission (you’ll get a warning about this) so you can explore/loot/do side quests to your heart’s content. If you change maps you’ll have to deal with a fresh set of hearts.

Whats the best course of action after killing the hearts? Finish leader, quest then move to a new map? Just start a new game with the same community? If I move maps do I get my resources back to rebuild?

I just killed all the hearts and I'm not sure what direction to go. Also lol Zombie scent is OP.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Whats the best course of action after killing the hearts? Finish leader, quest then move to a new map? Just start a new game with the same community? If I move maps do I get my resources back to rebuild?

I just killed all the hearts and I'm not sure what direction to go. Also lol Zombie scent is OP.

after you finish your leader quest the game is over. You start a new community with the option to bring three of your survivors with you. So a good move is to load down the three you want to bring with a rucksack and supplies to help you on the next map. Each leader type also gives you a bonus to new communities and you can have 2 of of those bonuses active at once.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

It feels like the firecracker / boom box and Molotov combo kind of trivializes killing plague hearts. I'm kind of coming around the first map, wiping out hearts and stealth-cleansing infestations. Sort of feels like working. Does it get more challenging in later maps?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Maps aren't tied to difficulty, although you might find one map easier to get around or offer more areas ideal for looting Being prepared will make everything doable in this game. It's the times where you aren't prepared, where you are cocky, where you are in over your head... that's when the challenge comes.

And if it doesn't, if you're not getting punished for your mistakes, consider moving up the difficulty slider for combat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I finished my playthrough last week. In some ways a really cool game and others...Man that end game is weak. I really wish I had just not done the leader missions and packed up to move to a new map instead. Despite having 5 maps I haven't even played I just kind of was left feeling like there wasn't much more to see and lost interest. Went from 100 to zero instantly.

I still kind of want to play though so maybe I'll just see how I can fare with nightmare now that I know how pretty much the whole game works and see what some misery simulator action is like.

Really the game is pretty cool in a lot of ways. It actually looks and plays pretty good and is (relatively. Still pretty confusing for a while) accessible, which is rare for these kind of games. But I do kind of wish there was more to it. Instead of everything feeling so static and difficulty being controlled via a slider I think it would have been transformative if it was designed around the difficulty slowing ramping up more. Yeah it gets a bit harder as time goes on but really it mostly just feels the same and by the end you have so much stuff it's like whatever.

I feel like it should have worked like this. Clear all plague hearts>Lets move on to a new area and kill the plague hearts there>increase difficulty, add new zombie types>repeat . I think I'd have kept my interest for all of the maps possibly if it felt like more of a journey and less of just a survival playground.

Cool game though. Big improvement over SOD1. I hope SOD3 dreams bigger though.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had a really fun experience where I was trying to help an enclave who needed some fuel. I had a surplus so I made a rucksack and loaded it in the trunk.

When I got to the detached garage the enclave was using, I noticed there was an infestation but didn't think too much of it because I've only ever seen them with screamers before and there were 4 enclave people I assumed would help out.

As I parked, a screamer I hadn't seen shattered my windows but I darted inside to talk to the leader but she kept going into combat mode and her crew kept darting out the door to fight oh hello, a juggernaut!

I was playing a total new survivor, someone's brother I'd just rescued, so I had a handgun and a crossbow. I probably hit the jug in the face with a dozen bolts and meanwhile he's killed two of the 4 enclave members but we finally put him down, my first jug kill actually.

Then I do the quest and start to head home but I want to stop at a traveling merchant before they leave in 5 minutes. Woops, I get my truck stuck on some wrecked cars and swarmed by a group who disabled the car, so I had to run out and book it on foot.

Made it to the merchant with 1 minute left, and she was selling a command upgrade that provides 2 outposts, a direct upgrade from my current one that gives one outpost. I bought it, then found some POS car nearby that had fuel and made it back to my base.

Anyway, it was a really cool experience--when you feel vulnerable, things feel very real and tense!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So apparently the next update is going to be changing the way Infestations work, where Infestations slowly grow over time and after a while create hordes that head toward your base, and those hordes will replace the traditional random sieges you deal with on and off. Also, multiple infestations can send hordes at the same time, and those hordes will also, if they come across one of your outposts, infest it and deny you the benefits of it (AKA, they can shut down your electricity temporarily).

Sounds a lot cooler and more dynamic than it currently is in the game, where infestations are just kind of there, and you can ignore them for a morale hit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it'd be cool if instead of being random, infestations grew around plague hearts and spread, while becoming more dense, making the areas around the plague hearts increasingly hard and making the final hearts much more challenging (make it alert infestations instead of random spawns). One thing I don't like is how static it gets after a while. LIke, you don't have enough poo poo to kill the plague hearts and then you do and the game is over. Also the end of the game should be some sort of mega infested area you need to take out not some dumb leader missions.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Do they have a timetable on that upcoming update? I'm doing a 100 day "True Grit" run and I'm about to move my community to another map (long overdue after 25 days). Would be nice to time that move with those changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I had this game for a while but only started playing it today. I put combat to 'normal' and the other two difficulties to 'dread' for my first game and started in the valley (whatever the first selection is).

So I did about one resource run and my meds were stolen by somebody in the middle of plague territory. I went there and somebody joined me to get it back from some other faction who all attacked me with shotguns and uzis. Somehow I lived and got into my car and ran them all over. Of course a horde showed up there too (all of the gunshots) so I couldn't loot anything. I limped back to my base and now another character demands to go into the middle of another plague city and get his brother or something. Will these people ever shut the gently caress up and let me scavenge resources and secure my base or what?