Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
OK, so I just logged in for the first time since launch on my level 30 captain and I don't really know what I need to do to get caught up. I don't remember anything. What is the best plan of attack? Should I just reroll at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

oh man, Bridge Commander was ace, and Klingon Academy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

iddqd posted:

OK, so I just logged in for the first time since launch on my level 30 captain and I don't really know what I need to do to get caught up. I don't remember anything. What is the best plan of attack? Should I just reroll at this point?

You're level 30. Set your guns power to full and mash spacebar.

Once you're 50, read the OP.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

and don't equip mines

one torpedo max

make sure all your guns are hitting your enemy, either because they're being broadsided by your beams or being hit head-on by guns and turrets

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ugh. I would give my left nut for a modernized, updated Bridge Commander.

edit: the monkey paw curls and development work begins on Bridge Commander: Discovery.

Thanks rear end in a top hat, this is definitely going to happen now.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Do you guys want my Fed alt fleet in the Armada? I have shitloads of toons with a lot of fleet dilithium vouchers and thousands of fleet marks. I can donate them to the Colony to when the projects come up.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Armada fleets for SFD are solely an issue of stepping on people's toes. We have room for a Gamma fleet I believe, if you want to be a Beta there'd (probably?) have to be some discussion... but if you're active and really want to get that sweet Beta slot it wouldn't take much convincing.

I'll purge the gently caress out of inactives in the Dental Armada for people that want to play if there is legitimate desire.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Potential BFF posted:

Armada fleets for SFD are solely an issue of stepping on people's toes. We have room for a Gamma fleet I believe, if you want to be a Beta there'd (probably?) have to be some discussion... but if you're active and really want to get that sweet Beta slot it wouldn't take much convincing.

I'll purge the gently caress out of inactives in the Dental Armada for people that want to play if there is legitimate desire.

It’s always nice to have active sub fleets so that I can snipe unfinished projects for effortless fleet credits contribute to the thriving community of this game.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

This is what I'm using my dilithium for right now anyways

Edit: I also have a KDF alt fleet as well that could use a spot in a Goon KDF armada if we have one. I have an alt account that I'd like to have in the Fed fleet so I could invite my toons to the Starbase to buy doffs to fill in the fleet projects. Might as well lighten the dilithium load on others.

Rx King fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 11, 2019

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I just want to be a freeloader who occasionally pops in for a TFO and/or to help Moon Slayer's LP.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Upgrade weekend on the calendar from the 25th-29th.

What sort of prices do the tech and research boosters tend to hit?

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

Upgrade weekend on the calendar from the 25th-29th.

What sort of prices do the tech and research boosters tend to hit?

From my experience by watching the market during the upgrade events, Research can drop to 1.1m or lower and Tech can drop to 500k. People tend to undercut like mad since they know everyone will be buying them. Because of the R&D promo and how long it's been since an upgrade event has happened, who knows how low they will go.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Oh drat, I won't be high enough rep to buy the terran phaser banks and then upgrade them on the cheap. At least I should be able to get the Temporal Defense rep gear for my Scryer and upgrade that.

Should I even bother looking into upgrading ground gear? And are there any mission sets good for the Scryer? I'm using Quantum Phase Catalysts right now because that Quantum Destabilizing Beam is a lot of fun to use, but a set that'll let me buy some rep weaponry to upgrade (I've got Nukara and Mega at T6) would also be nice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunter Noventa posted:

And are there any mission sets good for the Scryer? I'm using Quantum Phase Catalysts right now because that Quantum Destabilizing Beam is a lot of fun to use, but a set that'll let me buy some rep weaponry to upgrade (I've got Nukara and Mega at T6) would also be nice.

The Stormbound set is the general new to 50 starter kit.

After that, the current favored set is the Competitive rep set.

Weapons, just settle on a damage type and get green mk12 weapons. Or if you're peering down this rabbit hole, mk14 or 15 guns off the exchange.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hunter Noventa posted:

terran phaser banks

What are the groupthink favorites with faction weapons these days, with faction level 6 being a thing?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Got another one to add to the list of "I'm an idiot and don't know how to play this game:"

I thought Tour of Duty assignments came up after you had done a set number of other assignments so I've been starting a bunch of them after the ToD to "get a head start" on the next ToD. I just found out they come up randomly any time past the two On Deck and I've been wasting a huge amount of time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

What are the groupthink favorites with faction weapons these days, with faction level 6 being a thing?

Terrans are the ones I see the most chat about, mainly due to phasers and disruptors having the most boosting consoles and other effects.

Antiproton fans seem to have generally settled on Iconian stuff, but the radiant proc isn't as good as withering unless you're in heavy aoe situations.

Delta's thoron infused polarons have gotten popular with people using polarons, which now have a decent amount of support after ViL introduced the Dominion and attendant polarons.

Plasma hasn't changed much. It's not bad, and can be downright good for Romulans stacking the relevant boffs, but its proc remains uninspiring and there's still a notable lack of plasma damage boosts.

Tetryon is still the red headed stepchild. The proc is still bad, there's very little in the way of tetryon damage boosts, and the only rep gear that's tetryon is Nukara, and the chain lightning effect doesn't help on single target.

Gamma, 8472, Lukari, and Temporal weapons all seem to be considered inferior to other options for those types.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

You're level 30. Set your guns power to full and mash spacebar.

Once you're 50, read the OP.

OK, level 31 now but also dying quite a bit on level 30 quests. Oddly having fun.

Can I get access to the wiki please? Same username as here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Been playing around with the t6 nebula today, and alas I can't recommend it to goons. It is so close to having a good boff layout. Infuriatingly so, when there just isn't a way to get all the good stuff you want on it despite coming so close to it.

It's certainly usable, it's just not great. The Palatine, Dranuur, and T'Pau are simply better, but I'd say it fights on an even footing with the Orb Weaver, N'Kaam, and Dauntless.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The Stormbound set is the general new to 50 starter kit.

After that, the current favored set is the Competitive rep set.

Weapons, just settle on a damage type and get green mk12 weapons. Or if you're peering down this rabbit hole, mk14 or 15 guns off the exchange.

Oh wow that set does pair up nicely.

I've already got purple bio-molecular mk12 phasers from the Undine rep boxes. I don't mind sticking with those. That's where I've gotten the majority of my weapons at this point, various rep boxes.

Should I replace the stormbound set with the Temporal Defense stuff when i have the discount? or does it not matter that much?

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 13, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Oh wow that set does pair up nicely.

I've already got purple bio-molecular mk12 phasers from the Undine rep boxes. I don't mind sticking with those. That's where I've gotten the majority of my weapons at this point, various rep boxes.

Should I replace the stormbound set with the Temporal Defense stuff when i have the discount? or does it not matter that much?

It doesn't matter that much, STO is built with the typical pubby in mind and if you're thinking about this kind of stuff you're already ahead of the game. Competitive is the current favored rep set if you're going to go for one, but Iconian used to be popular before Competitive came along.

The rule about weapons is, pick a damage type and stick to it, then stack the hell out of +% damage of that type. These are tactical consoles (check my bit in the first few posts in the thread for details about what consoles go with what damage types), but also some oddballs out there that add bonuses to specific damage types.

Phasers are a fine choice, so if you like those go nuts. Terran phasers are better due to the withering proc being better than the bio-molecular proc, but if you have the 8472 guns and don't want to change, suit yourself.

Regardless, if you're looking for rep stuff to get, make sure to get the assimilated console from Omega rep, the radiant console from Iconian, and maybe (if you have a spare slot or use torpedoes) the ferrofluid console from Terran.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It doesn't matter that much, STO is built with the typical pubby in mind and if you're thinking about this kind of stuff you're already ahead of the game. Competitive is the current favored rep set if you're going to go for one, but Iconian used to be popular before Competitive came along.

The rule about weapons is, pick a damage type and stick to it, then stack the hell out of +% damage of that type. These are tactical consoles (check my bit in the first few posts in the thread for details about what consoles go with what damage types), but also some oddballs out there that add bonuses to specific damage types.

Phasers are a fine choice, so if you like those go nuts. Terran phasers are better due to the withering proc being better than the bio-molecular proc, but if you have the 8472 guns and don't want to change, suit yourself.

Regardless, if you're looking for rep stuff to get, make sure to get the assimilated console from Omega rep, the radiant console from Iconian, and maybe (if you have a spare slot or use torpedoes) the ferrofluid console from Terran.

A good point on how the game's built. I've got a ship for every damage type, but that's mostly for endeavours, and my main ship has phasers, I'll probably start swapping tot he terran ones once I hit T6 there. Those tips on consoles to get are helpful though, thanks.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

iddqd posted:

OK, level 31 now but also dying quite a bit on level 30 quests. Oddly having fun.

Can I get access to the wiki please? Same username as here.

You're @SyRauk right?

You'll probably want to take a look at your traits and skills if you haven't already since anything you picked at launch has been changed and wiped multiple times.

Skills. These are mostly pretty similar. Don't pick the "science" option:
https://wiki.wesleyguide.com/skillz_4_goonz
https://www.sto-league.com/skilltree-suggestion/

I went from lvl50 to 65 without any skills slotted, just to see if I could, after returning to the game. It convinced me that whichever skill plan you use (not science) is probably fine if you can follow some simple guidelines. Following a skillplan that helps you unlock useful milestones is a lot better than trying to interpret what Cryptic means on your own. It's a lot of awful, confusing, math that requires knowledge of the game engine: outsource it and follow somebody else's plan. I used the pubby DPS league plan because it explained which of those milestone powers to pick. I'm talking about the lines at the bottom of your captain's Skills tab.

(sorry if you've already read this stuff)

Run either beams or cannons, but not both (end game edge cases notwithstanding)
Use the same damage type on all of your weapons and a full set of tactical consoles that buff that damage type
Turn your weapon power up to 100
If you use a torp you only use one and it goes in front. rear torps and mines are for pubbies
Slot some Monotanium engineering consoles while you level up. they'll help you survive the instakilling torpedoes. The other engineering consoles kinda blow and you don't have a bunch of Universals to slot in there like most of us.

Traits: You should probably slot the first 5/6 and then pick and choose from the remainder.

Fleet Coordinator
Beam Training or Cannon Training
Techie
Elusive
Operative

Projectile Training (if using a torp)

Accurate
Astrophysicist
Bulkhead Technician
Efficient Captain
Innocuous
Shield Technician
Warp Theorist
Thrill-Seeker

Same deal with ground stuff. If you're dying a lot slot some traits that help you not die.

You're on New Romulus still right? Consider bringing a Sci boff down with you trained in Medical Tricorder and Nanite Health Monitor if you aren't a Sci captain. Buy those if you are. You can re-slot skills freely and at will now any time you're out of combat. You can promote up your boffs so they have all 4 ground powers from the get go. Train them each in dozens of skills if you want; it doesn't matter and the EC cost is minimal for standard skills. Also, once you're off New Romulus, you should have at least one engineer with Shield Generator Fabrication and always, always, always have an engineer with Quantum Mortar Fabrication available on the team. It doesn't have to be an active power because, like I said earlier, you can just exit combat to switch powers.The Quantum will shoot through walls at the enemies that fell through the buggy geometry in this game and that lets you complete bugged out ground missions without having to abandon and restart them.

Also: turn Auto Attack on in the Controls options. Control-Rightclick your secondary fire mode then Control-Rightclick your primary. It makes ground combat a lot less of a headache when you can just concentrate on firing off your powers instead of worrying about shooting.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

Terran phasers are better due to the withering proc being better than the bio-molecular proc, but if you have the 8472 guns and don't want to change, suit yourself.

I think it's worth mentioning, especially for Hunter and Cyrano, that "rep store" weapons cost an assload of dil and "store/rep-box" weapons are extremely expensive to upgrade since they start at XII. Getting them to flip quality is quite expensive. Don't upgrade weapons you get from those free boxes. Please don't make the same mistake I did. Just... don't.

I'm not talking about the 2 or 3 piece sets with a Rep Weapon, I mean the filler weapons in the set. You're probably better off finding another 2-piece in your damage type or slotting out the last weapon or two with a generic proc.

Meta is to craft MKII $damage weapons with [PEN] and hit them with an Omega Upgrade with a 2x Research boost during an Upgrade Weekend. Toss it in the trash if it doesn't go gold on the first try. I'm like 2 out of 50 for [PEN]. I expect most of those to "brick" and fail to upgrade to gold. Uhhhhhhhhg. (currently researching the [Over] proc)...

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

I think it's worth mentioning, especially for Hunter and Cyrano, that "rep store" weapons cost an assload of dil and "store/rep-box" weapons are extremely expensive to upgrade since they start at XII. Getting them to flip quality is quite expensive. Don't upgrade weapons you get from those free boxes. Please don't make the same mistake I did. Just... don't.

I'm not talking about the 2 or 3 piece sets with a Rep Weapon, I mean the filler weapons in the set. You're probably better off finding another 2-piece in your damage type or slotting out the last weapon or two with a generic proc.

Meta is to craft MKII $damage weapons with [PEN] and hit them with an Omega Upgrade with a 2x Research boost during an Upgrade Weekend. Toss it in the trash if it doesn't go gold on the first try. I'm like 2 out of 50 for [PEN]. I expect most of those to "brick" and fail to upgrade to gold. Uhhhhhhhhg. (currently researching the [Over] proc)...

I do have a nice big pile of phoenix upgrades to drop on whatever I do end up upgrading. But it sounds like I ought to try and sell all my upgrade items that do cost dil on the exchange. I'm sure someone will buy the pile of superior beam upgrades I crafted.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Hunter Noventa posted:

I do have a nice big pile of phoenix upgrades to drop on whatever I do end up upgrading. But it sounds like I ought to try and sell all my upgrade items that do cost dil on the exchange. I'm sure someone will buy the pile of superior beam upgrades I crafted.

Make sure to sell them well in advance of the upgrade event. People will be mass selling theirs on the exchange during the event and you'll lose some profit because of all the undercutting.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MisterOblivious posted:

You're @SyRauk right?

You'll probably want to take a look at your traits and skills if you haven't already since anything you picked at launch has been changed and wiped multiple times.

Skills. These are mostly pretty similar. Don't pick the "science" option:
https://wiki.wesleyguide.com/skillz_4_goonz
https://www.sto-league.com/skilltree-suggestion/

I went from lvl50 to 65 without any skills slotted, just to see if I could, after returning to the game. It convinced me that whichever skill plan you use (not science) is probably fine if you can follow some simple guidelines. Following a skillplan that helps you unlock useful milestones is a lot better than trying to interpret what Cryptic means on your own. It's a lot of awful, confusing, math that requires knowledge of the game engine: outsource it and follow somebody else's plan. I used the pubby DPS league plan because it explained which of those milestone powers to pick. I'm talking about the lines at the bottom of your captain's Skills tab.

(sorry if you've already read this stuff)

Run either beams or cannons, but not both (end game edge cases notwithstanding)
Use the same damage type on all of your weapons and a full set of tactical consoles that buff that damage type
Turn your weapon power up to 100
If you use a torp you only use one and it goes in front. rear torps and mines are for pubbies
Slot some Monotanium engineering consoles while you level up. they'll help you survive the instakilling torpedoes. The other engineering consoles kinda blow and you don't have a bunch of Universals to slot in there like most of us.

Traits: You should probably slot the first 5/6 and then pick and choose from the remainder.

Fleet Coordinator
Beam Training or Cannon Training
Techie
Elusive
Operative

Projectile Training (if using a torp)

Accurate
Astrophysicist
Bulkhead Technician
Efficient Captain
Innocuous
Shield Technician
Warp Theorist
Thrill-Seeker

Same deal with ground stuff. If you're dying a lot slot some traits that help you not die.

You're on New Romulus still right? Consider bringing a Sci boff down with you trained in Medical Tricorder and Nanite Health Monitor if you aren't a Sci captain. Buy those if you are. You can re-slot skills freely and at will now any time you're out of combat. You can promote up your boffs so they have all 4 ground powers from the get go. Train them each in dozens of skills if you want; it doesn't matter and the EC cost is minimal for standard skills. Also, once you're off New Romulus, you should have at least one engineer with Shield Generator Fabrication and always, always, always have an engineer with Quantum Mortar Fabrication available on the team. It doesn't have to be an active power because, like I said earlier, you can just exit combat to switch powers.The Quantum will shoot through walls at the enemies that fell through the buggy geometry in this game and that lets you complete bugged out ground missions without having to abandon and restart them.

Also: turn Auto Attack on in the Controls options. Control-Rightclick your secondary fire mode then Control-Rightclick your primary. It makes ground combat a lot less of a headache when you can just concentrate on firing off your powers instead of worrying about shooting.

Actually I'm @Symon - weird how similar a name that other guy is though!

Thanks for these tips, and all the other tips directed at me/other newbies. I decided to just start a fresh character where I don't have the burden of a full inventory of stuff I don't know anything about, or ships/officers with tons of abilities that are foreign to me. This way I'll be able to build my knowledge of the game gradually as my character increases.

That being said, if someone could grant me access to the wiki that'd be great. Name there is "iddqd"

Jibrish
Oct 1, 2006
My helicopter goes soi soi soi
Just hit 65 and would love to offer dental cleaning services to pubbies circle jerking about anime.

> Jibrishlol@jibrishlol

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Can I get access to the wiki por favor? Username is Latro.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Jibrish posted:

Just hit 65 and would love to offer dental cleaning services to pubbies circle jerking about anime.

> Jibrishlol@jibrishlol

You've got chat and fleet invites.

irishmafiawku
Sep 18, 2018
Working on hitting lvl 50, would love to brush some teeth with my internet spaceship's massive space lasers. handle CaptainCaptainCaptainCaptain@irishmafiawku

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to whoever sent me those phasers in the mail! I had a lot of cryptic cash so I bought a T6 ship and equipped those, and things are rock and roll smooth for my little orange alien captain.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Alright finally my fleet has been taken off probation in the Armada! I have to wait until the dilithium event ends before donating since my overflow bag is filled with colonists and I can't claim the drat delta/temporal/gamma recruit fleet poo poo. If you wanna see the ridiculous amount of toons I have on fed side, just look at the roster in the Goonies fleet lol.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Gotta love the STO forums mods:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1248338/priors-world-not-to-be-pedantic-but

Edit: nevermind, he decided to remove the OP and his reply because it made him look stupid. The guy was saying something in the new blog was worded wrong(but broke no rules and was not hostile at all), and BMZ got pissy and closed it for no reason.

greasythepirate fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 16, 2019

ziplock
Sep 19, 2002

good, bad, i am the guy with the gun.
Thanks for not kicking me from NoP after years of inactivity :)

I was chatting with someone about carriers, Devon? Thanks much for the help - I got the C Store Birds of Prey, but then noticed the Fleet version, which have Torpedo and Canon III, which seems like a pretty big upgrade - so the question is do fleet equipment usually trump what you can get via c-store? And if I'm farming events, etc.. should I always just go for fleet marks, seems the easiest(?) The admiralty missions seem to get Dil at a decent rate, but any additional farming protips are greatly appreciated

another edit - I'm wondering since carriers can't turn for crap, loading cannons all around, and just barreling in to an enemy and going past? Either that or turrets all around that suck but then I can live out BSG fantasy of growing an Adama mustache.

ziplock fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 16, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What was the thread?

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Tunicate posted:

What was the thread?

Was just updating my post when you posted. See above.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

ziplock posted:

Thanks for not kicking me from NoP after years of inactivity :)

I was chatting with someone about carriers, Devon? Thanks much for the help - I got the C Store Birds of Prey, but then noticed the Fleet version, which have Torpedo and Canon III, which seems like a pretty big upgrade - so the question is do fleet equipment usually trump what you can get via c-store? And if I'm farming events, etc.. should I always just go for fleet marks, seems the easiest(?) The admiralty missions seem to get Dil at a decent rate, but any additional farming protips are greatly appreciated

another edit - I'm wondering since carriers can't turn for crap, loading cannons all around, and just barreling in to an enemy and going past? Either that or turrets all around that suck but then I can live out BSG fantasy of growing an Adama mustache.

Fleet ships have an additional console that's what makes them better than the C-store counterpart. Torpedo Spread III and Canon Scatter III are Bridge officer skills and can be sloted on any ship with necessary Bridge officer layout.

Not all C-store ships have a Fleet version they just have the max number on consoles right out of the box. T6 C-store ships come with a console and starship traits. When you max level the ship you unlock the Starship trait for your character to use any ship.

Some Fleet equipment is part of the current meta - Colony Deflector, Fleet Spire Core, Fleet Spire Tac consoles. Also Romulan and Kentari Bridge officers and skill and trait unlocks are bought from the Fleet. Other equipment comes from the rep and episode missions. It depends on what kind of build you are trying to make what equipment to slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpongeyHerbs
Aug 29, 2014
hello spacemens i just got to level 61 and would like to start practising dentistry on the unwashed masses

>amazingjay@amazingjay#3020