Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ehhhh, as I understand it the usable life is in service/being worn, the EPS liner shouldn't degrade at all sitting in a box in a warehouse, as I understand it, I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Ehhhh, as I understand it the usable life is in service/being worn, the EPS liner shouldn't degrade at all sitting in a box in a warehouse, as I understand it, I could be wrong.

There are born on dates for helmets as well, and I believe the recommendation is to replace it within a 7-8 year window from time of production if it occurs before the five year wear period.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

she told me wearing a full face helmet on my cruiser was "kinda faggy"
:sever:

builds character posted:

“You can’t break up with me, that’s super gay!”
*flicks down visor*

A classic image I haven't seen in forever

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

I wish I could find something that fits as well as the Signet X but doesn't look like a damned fish bowl. I recently picked up an Icon Airflite; there's very a mild forehead hot spot but I'm hoping it will go away once the padding breaks in.

Report back with how that Icon works out for you in regards to quality, if you don't mind. My Signet-Q will be need to be replaced within the next 1 1/2 years and I also have an alien shaped egg head.

It's upsetting how limited the options are for people with long oval shaped noggins.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
What brand of helmet should I look at if my previous Schuberth SR1 and current Shoei RF1200 leave a credit card shaped imprint on my forehead after an hour of riding? I'm thinking of randomly trying an Arai next but I'm tired of buying expensive helmets that turn out to be too painful to use for trips.

Ironically the only one that ever fit well was a cheap modular I bought when first starting out. I'll never wear a modular again now that I know more about the safety risks, but being able to move from Orange County to Seattle with no pain was great.

tjones
May 13, 2005

EkardNT posted:

What brand of helmet should I look at if my previous Schuberth SR1 and current Shoei RF1200 leave a credit card shaped imprint on my forehead after an hour of riding? I'm thinking of randomly trying an Arai next but I'm tired of buying expensive helmets that turn out to be too painful to use for trips.

Both are listed as a standard/intermediate oval. The problem I've found is that the majority of helmets are designed as "intermediate oval", which vary from brand to brand of how "oval" they are.

You could work backwards to try to help get in the ballpark quicker. I'd start with trying on an Arai Signet and an Icon Airframe/Armada first. They are both long ovals. If they're too tight around the temple then you'll just need to narrow down a brand of intermediate oval that isn't putting a hotspot on your forehead.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tjones posted:

There are born on dates for helmets as well, and I believe the recommendation is to replace it within a 7-8 year window from time of production if it occurs before the five year wear period.

I think one of the helmet lifetime factors is also warranty, which never seems to last more than 5 years.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 4, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

EkardNT posted:

Ironically the only one that ever fit well was a cheap modular I bought when first starting out. I'll never wear a modular again now that I know more about the safety risks, but being able to move from Orange County to Seattle with no pain was great.

Try AGV. One of their higher end helmets. Good luck figuring out which ones they are though, because their nomenclature makes no goddamn sense and their website is useless. But Schuberth and Shoei RF1200s have the same forehead pressure point for me and AGVs fit amazingly well. Try the AX-9 if you like the look of visor helmets (posted mine a couple of pages back).

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 25, 2019

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005

builds character posted:

“You can’t break up with me, that’s super gay!”
*flicks down visor*

Thanks, I was looking for that image!

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

puberty worked me over posted:

So I burned off the stitching on the fingat of my cortech impulse RRs pulling my bike out of a root infested mud hole. Can motorcycle glove fingers be repaired by a leatherworker? Where the hell do you find leatherworker? Next to the smithy?

Do these look like complete piss?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fieldsheer-Legend-Gauntlet-Motorcycle-Gloves/332347915294?var=&hash=item4d617abc1e

Gloves are going to depend on how precise the damage was. If the stitching is really all that's lost, then the holes that the stitches were in should remain and the gloves should be repairable.
If not, and the holes are damaged, you're talking about needing to make new holes to sew in. The problem is that you need fresh leather to make those holes in, which will decrease the diameter of fingers, etc. In gloves there just isn't any room to spare.

For finding a leatherworker, see if there's a Tandy Leather nearby; they should have a posting board of people looking for work. Find someone who does garment work or gloves specifically if possible; it's a different skill set than making bags or tooling saddles. Failing that, finding a blacksmith isn't a bad idea: old skill professionals tend to run in the same circles.

No opinion on those gloves but I think Fieldsheer is a decent brand?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Was real bummed when Icon stopped making the statistic helmet, but just found one on the fleabays!

And yeah, I am aware of the hypocrisy of buying a used helmet that touts crash statistics, especially with invisible micro fracture and helmet lifespan concerns. I plan on looking it over for any scuffs or impacts, but I just love the design so much since the majority of helmets I see are brain buckets I at least had to buy one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Heck, I'd have that just for an ornament, it's neat

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That’s so cool

Anyone know a good gear shop in LA? Cycle gear is all the way up in Santa Clarita is the closest thing I can think of

I’m fine with revzilla but was hoping to find a place to try on the Klim one piece suit without the hassle of shipping

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you're in east LA Chaparral Motorsports is (way the gently caress out) in San Bernadino, they have the Hardanger in stock

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m in Atwater lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’ll check it out my gf has a friend in Redlands that we visit a lot

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Atwater as in Atwater Village next to Glendale? There's a Cycle Gear in Canoga, another one in Covina. Both are about the same distance from your area. Maybe 3 miles less than Santa Clarita so not all that close, but beats the poo poo out of going all the way to Chaparral just to look at gear.

Motohelmets in Fullerton is decent. Berts in Covina (a mile down the street from Cycle Gear) has a good amount of stuff. There's also the Dainese store in Newport Beach if you feel like heading that way.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's a Dainese outlet in Huntington Beach too

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Only reason I told him to go to Chaparral was he said he wanted to try on the Klim one-piece and I know they stock them. I'd be surprised if a Cycle Gear did but I'm not sure about Motohelmets or Berts

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Renaissance Robot posted:

Heck, I'd have that just for an ornament, it's neat

Same here, I wish I'd kept the icon jackolantern helmet I had, it'd make a great piece of garage decoration/halloween display.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jazzzzz posted:

Only reason I told him to go to Chaparral was he said he wanted to try on the Klim one-piece and I know they stock them. I'd be surprised if a Cycle Gear did but I'm not sure about Motohelmets or Berts

No offense intended. I suck at wording late at night.

Berts did have like 3 racks worth of klim stuff last I checked but that was a few months ago when it was still wet and coldish. Don't know about now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Cycle gear doesn’t have poo poo and I don’t wanna order thru them if there’s a local dealer I can return stuff to

Has anyone been to bmw/zero in Pasadena or the shop off the 2 in echo park

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What zero/bmw shop in pasadena? New Century? My BMW-nerdventure buddy doesn't have enough bad things to say about them. From pushy sales peeps that don't know anything to lovely pricing.

And what shop in echo park? Al's? That's a repair shop that might have some used stuff for sale. Nothing special the last time I went to drop off a bike for a friend.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

As Nero Danced posted:

Same here, I wish I'd kept the icon jackolantern helmet I had, it'd make a great piece of garage decoration/halloween display.

That is rad as gently caress! I want a helmet like that so I can ride around looking like the headless horseman :getin:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

OSU_Matthew posted:

That is rad as gently caress! I want a helmet like that so I can ride around looking like the headless horseman :getin:

On halloween I used some black tape to fix some orange streamers to it to catch the breeze. It was as awesome as you are picturing. :spooky:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought a pair of Dainese D-WP street biker shoes, I hope they hold up well. I really wanted something that didn’t look like a space suit or construction boot and this style was right up my alley.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What tools do people use to plan routes and navigate them?

I have a Garmin Zumo that’s good for navigation, but I struggle to plan routes with it. It’s a long and tedious process of using google street view, ‘Best Biking Roads’ app to find good waypoints and then enter them by address, else you get routed down motorways or single track dirt roads.

Google maps on a phone is good enough for short journeys, but doesn’t support waypoints. You can set up a multi destination trip, but navigation stops at each destination until you hit continue. Plus the navigation is hit and miss as to how accurate/clear/timely it is.

I tried the garmin app, but don’t have full time access to a windows machine to do it, and couldn’t really make head or tails of using it.

Theres ‘inRoute’ on iOS/iPad that supports waypoint navigation, but is £15 for 25 waypoints, or £30/yr for more, which is a bit rich.

Anybody have any suggestions?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

buy a KTM 1290 SAR / S and use the KTM app to set up an offline route using waypoints :D

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 4, 2020

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I just route one waypoint at a time on the garmin when I stop anyway for a drink or fuel.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
https://mapstogpx.com/

Build your route in Google Maps, dump it to a GPX file using the site above, load it into your Garmin/phone app/whatever

I use GPX Viewer on my phone (Android) or the Garmin that came with my GS depending on which bike I'm riding

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Just want to say that while expensive and somewhat ugly, Doubletake mirrors are the best loving mirrors I've ever used and it's not even close.

Also on the horrifically overpriced but good list, the Givi E22N's I got for my Wingrack 2.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 13, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I need a pair of MX boots for a woman with large calves, most women's boots are garbage, and the normal range of men's boots don't go down small enough, so I bought her a pair of youth Tech 7's, turns out they're too small in the calf, I've heard that Gearnes' are roomy in that area. Any advice?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Skip leg day.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I need a pair of MX boots for a woman with large calves, most women's boots are garbage, and the normal range of men's boots don't go down small enough, so I bought her a pair of youth Tech 7's, turns out they're too small in the calf, I've heard that Gearnes' are roomy in that area. Any advice?

Gaerne should work. Also try sidi. On their MX boots you can adjust the calf separately - it's the top clip in and then you can adjust the upper bit out. IIRC, if you look at the screws here https://www.24mx.com/motocross-gear/boots_c312/motocross-boots_c313/sidi-crossfire-2-srs-motocross-boots-black-white_pid-PM-0065100 you can undo them and there's another set of holes further out for bigger calves.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a fat melon head.

I want a full helmet.

Where I'm learning to ride, I.e. doing my CBT, their L and XL helmets are still too tight and I never can get my ears in without them folding, which hurts.

What's a good helmet brand for fat, round melon-like heads?

I'm in the UK, in Scotland (if that matters).

alr
May 14, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

I never can get my ears in without them folding, which hurts.

Grab the straps of the helmet near the base and pull outward as you slide it on/off, this should give you enough space for comfort. The AGV K3 SV should be sold everywhere, is a round oval with a drop down sun-visor, and a good price. I owned one for a bit, but replaced it because it was a bit too round for my comfort. That helmet seems to be their outlier though, since most AGV reviews I've seen have them as a standard intermediate oval. The AGV K5 doesn't have the same fit

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Steakandchips posted:

I have a fat melon head.

I want a full helmet.

Where I'm learning to ride, I.e. doing my CBT, their L and XL helmets are still too tight and I never can get my ears in without them folding, which hurts.

What's a good helmet brand for fat, round melon-like heads?

I'm in the UK, in Scotland (if that matters).

Professional stores (not chains) will offer you to fit a helmet liner specifically to your melon. If you go to conventions for motorcycle gear you can also ask the manufacturers directly (or phone the local center of you brand of choice) and they will direct you to their customisation representatives.

Its not cheap, but those people know what they are doing. This is also how professional riders get their racing helmets fitted.

This is usually a nuclear last option though. First of all set a day aside and go to a store where they have experienced sales persons and ask them to help you. It absolutely can take hours.

Also if you are in for a full face, the good ones will adapt to your head over time and they can be a bit tight at the beginning.

Also if you have a favorite, ask to take the demo model with you for a day so you can check for any pressure spots. A slight overall tightness can go away as the helmet adapts but pressure points will absolutely gently caress with you forever in my experience.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There are manufacturers who make up to 5XL helmets. Check out RevZilla or whoever. You should be able to find one that fits.