Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I just got a Chevy Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed WT2 for $22.4k. Not really much different in price than say a mazda 3 with similar features. But yeah whoever pays more than $30k for a 1/2 ton is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
muscle trucks get a special brotruck exemption

Lightnings, SRT-10's (and Daytona's!), and SS Chevy's hopefully need no explanation

(all of them are owned by retards like myself if you do need one, though)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Most Lightnings I see nowadays are clapped out pieces of poo poo.

And I lost any incentive to ever want one when the 15 F150 got announced.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Lightning went from "world's fastest truck" to "lol, my base Ram can eat you" rather quick when you think about it

they were the cat's rear end for a hot minute

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
In other rebadged VAG junk news, here's a refreshed CGT.

New for 2015: Fender vents in the shape of a B.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Kia released a few teaser shots of their Concept car for the Geneva Motors show and I now have a tremendous car boner

Sure hope they start making this around the time my current Optima lease is up in 2 years

and that they come up with a less dumb name then Sportspace

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/kia-sportspace-concept-previews-new-optima-estate

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Kerrow posted:

Good news everyone!

My annual "Skoda released a new car you can't even buy in NA" post!

It's the new Superb! (Basically Skoda's take on the Passat)

Skoda is the greatest and I'd really like an Octavia vRS wagon in that silly grey colour to haul my family, despite not having a family to haul.

It'd be even better if Seat was a thing in my country as the Cupra ST 280 wagon looks/benchraces even better

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kill me now posted:

Kia released a few teaser shots of their Concept car for the Geneva Motors show and I now have a tremendous car boner

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/kia-sportspace-concept-previews-new-optima-estate

I know there is basically zero chance of the wagon coming to the states but oh my goooooood :flashfap:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kill me now posted:

Sure hope they start making this around the time my current Optima lease is up in 2 years

gently caress you Kia now I want this AND a focus RS.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Limo mazda 3 with vw front end?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

kill me now posted:

Whoa. That is superb.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

kill me now posted:

holy poo poo beltlines are getting tall these days

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HEY VAPER posted:

holy poo poo beltlines are getting tall these days

It works here because it really goes to the extreme. I'm sure a non-concept gets toned down way too much though.

Boss
Feb 23, 2011

kill me now posted:

I know it will never happen but please let it be RWD, or AWD. That would make me so happy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I see lots of new American trucks on the road here in Wisconsin Arizona. There is never anything in the bed. ...

I was one of these guys for many years. My daily driver was an F-150, and I never had anything in the bed (on most days).

Guess what - you can't really tell why someone owns a truck unless you know them, or maybe when you catch them (me) on a weekend towing the race-car to a track.

When I got rid of the race-car and trailer.. I also sold the truck. I do miss having it once in a while when I want to pick up something from Lowes or wherever that's too long/big to fit in a normal car though.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kill me now posted:

Not much to say that hasn't already been, but oh my god. It's like an Alfa had a three way with a VW and a BMW and this thing showed up nine months later.

We'll never see it here. :suicide:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

The Locator posted:

I was one of these guys for many years. My daily driver was an F-150, and I never had anything in the bed (on most days).

Guess what - you can't really tell why someone owns a truck unless you know them, or maybe when you catch them (me) on a weekend towing the race-car to a track.

When I got rid of the race-car and trailer.. I also sold the truck. I do miss having it once in a while when I want to pick up something from Lowes or wherever that's too long/big to fit in a normal car though.

I haul my bicycle, mower, building materials, motorcycle, and enough bags of gravel from walmart to make a driveway at 30 $4 bags at a time. gently caress you 20 ton load of limestone for $1000

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If KIA make that and sell it in Australia I'll love them for it. Not many wagons sold here, mainly skoda/passat, volvo and mazda/ford.
There is lancer and hyundai but they don't look great and are more used for businesses.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 18, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kill me now posted:

I'm used to owning a car for 10+ years but I would flip my 2012 Optima in a second to buy that. And if it were a bit faster than the current 2.0t and had AWD I might consider getting rid of the Corvette and letting my girlfriend finally park in the garage.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Locator posted:

I understand needing a truck for hauling poo poo on the weekends or for road trips or whatever, but it seems to me that it's really wasteful to use one as your DD if that's your use case. Buy something more fuel-efficient and less gigantic for running around, get a cheap used pickup to do your hauling poo poo around, save a lot of money on gas and no longer push small cars into the ditch by accident.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I understand needing a truck for hauling poo poo on the weekends or for road trips or whatever, but it seems to me that it's really wasteful to use one as your DD if that's your use case. Buy something more fuel-efficient and less gigantic for running around, get a cheap used pickup to do your hauling poo poo around, save a lot of money on gas and no longer push small cars into the ditch by accident.

Sometimes it just doesn't make sernse to. If you drive 1000 miles a month, the fuel cost for a 15mpg pickup would only be $200. for a 50mpg prius it would be $60. you can't fit insurance for a second vehicle, depreciation, and maintinence on a second vehicle into that $140 difference, and that is assuming you split what you paid for the truck in half and instead of 1 nice truck bought 1 old truck and a prius. You'd need 2 parking spots, plates/rego on both vehicles, be losing in depreciation on both vehicles, and unless you're paying double, get 2 less featured, less enjoyable vehicles.

If you've got $40,000 to spend on vehicles, and need a truck 20% of the time, it makes sense to just buy a $40,000 truck.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

If you've got $40,000 to spend on vehicles, and need a truck 20% of the time, it makes sense to just buy a $40,000 truck.

That only works if you live somewhere the truck is actually suitable to use the other 80% of the time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

That only works if you live somewhere the truck is actually suitable to use the other 80% of the time.

There's really nowhere a truck isn't actually suitable the other 80% of the time.

You fuckers get really melodramatic when it comes to parking a modern half ton pickup.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

There's really nowhere a truck isn't actually suitable the other 80% of the time.

Depends on where in the world you are.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

Depends on where in the world you are.

That i will concede. If you live in venice or paris or singapore, don't buy a pickup.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

That i will concede. If you live in venice or paris or singapore, don't buy a pickup.

Or really any large city outside of north America

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

Or really any large city outside of north America

I didn't realize that was much of an issue. I assumed most people complaining about half ton pickups everywhere were in north America.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

davebo posted:

I'm used to owning a car for 10+ years but I would flip my 2012 Optima in a second to buy that. And if it were a bit faster than the current 2.0t and had AWD I might consider getting rid of the Corvette and letting my girlfriend finally park in the garage.

I'm probably retarded for even thinking this, but part of me hopes its a setup somewhat like the Trail'ster concept where its a turbo I4 up front with a hybrid drive system for the rear wheels. The idea of fuel economy gains, capability gains, and power gains of that style system are really appealing and if they could stuff it in to a car that looks like the Sportspace it would be a very cool car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/12/kia-trailster-concept-soul-chicago-2015/

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Honestly, if parking and maneuvering in tight city streets isn't a concern, trucks and SUVs are the poo poo. Comfortable to get in and out of, great view outwards due to ride height, greater safety in most accident scenarios due to that greater ride height. Seriously, if you do a lot of highway travel (Up here in Canadaland and I imagine much of America) animals are a legit safety concern which are largely ameliorated by driving a truck or SUV.

gently caress parking the god drat things though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wheeee posted:

Honestly, if parking and maneuvering in tight city streets isn't a concern, trucks and SUVs are the poo poo. Comfortable to get in and out of, great view outwards due to ride height, greater safety in most accident scenarios due to that greater ride height. Seriously, if you do a lot of highway travel (Up here in Canadaland and I imagine much of America) animals are a legit safety concern which are largely ameliorated by driving a truck or SUV.

gently caress parking the god drat things though.

Keep in mind that for all the increased awareness the great view affords SUV drivers, that's awareness of traffic you're removing from people behind you. Maybe not a concern in the great white north but on the D.C. beltway I can tell you people don't just start leaving 10 car lengths in rush hour traffic just because they can't see through or around the Landcruiser in front of them. Cue the vicious cycle of cars not knowing people ahead of an SUV are braking, then tapping the SUV and having to pull over to exchange info, thereby causing rubbernecking and someone behind another SUV not knowing the people in front of him are breaking, reapeat.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

I fixed it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SouthLAnd posted:

Whoa. That is superb.

No, this is superb:

Kerrow posted:

Good news everyone!

My annual "Skoda released a new car you can't even buy in NA" post!

It's the new Superb! (Basically Skoda's take on the Passat)

Images grabbed from a app here here http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-superb/

Compared to the current generation, its hell of an improvement. can't wait for the wagon version later this year.

e: vvvvv This one is even bigger :v:

:rimshot:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

davebo posted:

Keep in mind that for all the increased awareness the great view affords SUV drivers, that's awareness of traffic you're removing from people behind you. Maybe not a concern in the great white north but on the D.C. beltway I can tell you people don't just start leaving 10 car lengths in rush hour traffic just because they can't see through or around the Landcruiser in front of them. Cue the vicious cycle of cars not knowing people ahead of an SUV are braking, then tapping the SUV and having to pull over to exchange info, thereby causing rubbernecking and someone behind another SUV not knowing the people in front of him are breaking, reapeat.

I used to drive a truck, previously drove a tiny sports car, before that drove a body on frame SUV, and currently drive a sedan. I get the argument you are presently and frankly agree with it.

In an ideal world people would be required to pass strict extra licensing requirements to drive large vehicles such as trucks and SUVs because they absolutely do represent a safety issue for people driving small and normal sized cars, but we don't live in an ideal, rational world and so I really can't blame people for driving a truck or SUV/CUV.

I can however blame anyone who raises their vehicle. Lifting a vehicle beyond a couple inches of stock height should not be legal for use on public roads and gently caress any redneck rig pig who disagrees.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kill me now posted:

Dodge made that a few years back. Nobody in the US bought it either. If they bring it here, nobody will buy it because 'beltline too high, roof too low, floor too high, no cargo room. Same thing that happened to the magnum. Either that or people still think kia makes poo poo (and Bajaha's experience with his Velostomy Turdo has me thinking hyundai/kia still don't know how to make cars properly)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bovril Delight posted:

It works here because it really goes to the extreme. I'm sure a non-concept gets toned down way too much though.

Not necessarily, a lot of that is probably just camera angles. The current Optima also has a super high beltline, just like every other car.

They look like they share the same front door/window glass. It probably looks more normal from a normal camera angle or IRL (unless you're 4 feet tall). This is also partly why you rarely see full profile shots of cars anymore.

Honestly that thing looks like a production-ready concept so pretty much add an inch of ride height and make the bumpers stick out more.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 18, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the large amount of things I can see from the driver's seat of my car at any given time can be, honestly, overstimulating and dangerous. Frankly, I'm not going to be happy until I have to drive my car by peering out a tiny, tiny slit, like driving a tank. The last Camaro I drove came really close to replicating that experience, but I think with a bit of effort, even that could be improved upon. Bonus points if the side mirrors are made to be uselessly tiny in the interest of aerodynamics!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 18, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

I think the large amount of things I can see from the driver's seat of my car at any given time can be, honestly, overstimulating and dangerous. Frankly, I'm not going to be happy until I have to drive my car by peering out a tiny, tiny slit, like driving a tank. The last Camaro I drove came really close to replicating that experience, but I think with a bit of effort, even that could be improved upon. Bonus points if the side mirrors are made to be uselessly tiny in the interest of aerodynamics!

My next car:

or maybe just

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 18, 2015

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Where exactly does Skoda fit into the market in Europe? Is it just slightly less expensive than comparable VW's?

It's always seemed like the VW/Skoda/Seat arrangement would cause similar problems to those that GM had with Pontiac and Saturn.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 18, 2015

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

kill me now posted:

That is phenomenal. I really want a wagon but it's so drat hard to find a good one in the US. I know there's little chance of it showing up here but drat, if it does that might be my next car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

Taco Box posted:

Dodge made that a few years back. Nobody in the US bought it either. If they bring it here, nobody will buy it because 'beltline too high, roof too low, floor too high, no cargo room. Same thing that happened to the magnum. Either that or people still think kia makes poo poo (and Bajaha's experience with his Velostomy Turdo has me thinking hyundai/kia still don't know how to make cars properly)

The plural of anecdote is not data.