Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hammerstein posted:

I wish we had gotten the Richelieu instead of the Dunkerque.

Same basic design - but super-buffed to true BB levels and 8x16" all facing to the front in a superfiring position.

15". When in doubt a treaty era bb is 15" or speaks English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

And Richlieu will be a tree battleship eventually anyway, they can't make a tree without it.

UK: 14
Europe: 15
US and Japan: 16

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 15, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

UK: 14
Europe: 15
US and Japan: 16

The Nagato and Colorado class were both grandfathered in, so I wasn't counting them, but yeah. More accurately would be Japan: 406mm (we promise a dyslexic didn't read those specs and design the guns to 460mm).

E:welp, gj me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I remembered the Japanese didn't build any treaty battleships, just modified older ones, Dunkerque had 13s, Scharnhorst had 11s, and the UK had 16" Nelsons and 14" KGV during the treaty era, so it got a bit complicated for a quick guide.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 15, 2016

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm surprised the premium isn't the Strasbourg. If they want to make a French tree, the Dunkerque should be on it.

e: A premium Richlieu would be the Jean Bart I guess.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 15, 2016

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I have more money than sense, and played too much Navyfield so the allure of the triple 11s is strong. Probably getting Scharnhorst since they don't seem to be putting in Panzerschiffe any time soon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheDemon posted:

I'm surprised the premium isn't the Strasbourg. If they want to make a French tree, the Dunkerque should be on it.

e: A premium Richlieu would be the Jean Bart I guess.

At a guess, they decided they couldn't make the Dunkerque work as a tree ship for the same reasons as the Scharnhorst, and unlike the Gneisenau there isn't an alternative turret setup with more conventional for the tier guns to use.

So the French tree probably goes Courbet, Bretagne, Normandie, Lyon, 37,000t fast battleship design study, Richlieu, Alsace, bigger Alsace design

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 15, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The tempting thing is that if pubbies are poo poo in the Schotgun, they might buff it so they can sell it for $55 base next time.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The tempting thing is that if pubbies are poo poo in the Schotgun, they might buff it so they can sell it for $55 base next time.

That is a fair point.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I don't know what they hosed with the matchmaking but Tier 5 is now extremely painful to play as you seem to get uptiered to Tier 7 games all the time.
Gnevy and Omaha don't do so well against Blyskawica and Myoko.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Krogort posted:

I don't know what they hosed with the matchmaking but Tier 5 is now extremely painful to play as you seem to get uptiered to Tier 7 games all the time.

Matchmaking is such that there's a large spread of tiered ships in a majority of games now. This metamatchmaking really fucks with the viability of some ships like aforementioned Gnevy, Omaha, Konigsberg, etc.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Krogort posted:

This is why they make most of their premiums at 7. Need people to eat. The match maker change was the last patch.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Man I picked the worst time to grind my Pensacola, so much Scharnhorsts everywhere

Pacra posted:

Matchmaking is such that there's a large spread of tiered ships in a majority of games now. This metamatchmaking really fucks with the viability of some ships like aforementioned Gnevy, Omaha, Konigsberg, etc.
Yeah T5 and T6 can only see -1 tiers but +2 tiers so that doesn't help the uptiering. T5 especially since T4 can only see +1 so at T5 you either see a T4-5 match or a T5+ match, meaning you're either bottom or top with no inbetween.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Seems like a great time to play tier 8 BBs though.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

does the french navy get autoloaders?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

does the french navy get autoloaders?

They better, also they should have real bad problem looking up.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

My favorite Scharnhorst retard for today is this guy. I called him a useless idiot or something along those lines, and he replies with "22 hits and 1 kill, bite me" like it would impress me. That one kill was when he rammed his ~35k health Scharnhorst into another Scharn that was at 5k and burning to death.

14k average damage in the Cleveland over the course of 179 games. :allears:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I don't particularly like Scharnhorst tbh. I prefer battleships like Iowa that's fast and packs a big punch, but Scharnhorst is a battlecruiser that throws slightly strong jabs while agile.

Guess I am too used to Iowa.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aesis posted:

I don't particularly like Scharnhorst tbh. I prefer battleships like Iowa that's fast and packs a big punch, but Scharnhorst is a battlecruiser that throws slightly strong jabs while agile.

They honestly should have given it more alpha damage or railgun-fast shells with a shorter range, because as it is most pubbies will treat it like an under-ranged BB and score maybe one 1k hit per salvo at max range because of the terrible dispersion.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Aesis posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll get it. The regular tier VII German BB, the Gneisenau, is basically the same ship except with bigger main guns. That one will probably be a keeper.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I'm having a blast in the scharn, platooned or not. Charging into groups of cruisers and DDs, letting secondaries and torps feed people into the main guns is super fun. When triple platooned earlier a Blys charged our pack and died to massed secondary fire before any of us could shoot him with our main batteries

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think I'm doing something wrong. I keep dumping shells on the bad dudes but never get any damage numbers.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

I think I'm doing something wrong. I keep dumping shells on the bad dudes but never get any damage numbers.

what bote are you in and what are you shooting at?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Cruisers shooting HE at battleships and all the other ships, even destroyers not giving me cool numbers.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Cruisers shooting HE at battleships and all the other ships, even destroyers not giving me cool numbers.

Don't get discouraged because the maximum damage for a HE shell says 2000 but you're only doing like 650 - this is pretty standard. The only time you do maximum damage is with a hit to the vitals like the engine or magazines. This rarely happens with HE unless you are shooting at a carrier.

With HE, you want your shots to hit the deck and superstructure. Particularly against battleships, if you are hitting spots with heavy armor, like the main belt (along the hull sides just below the deck) or the main gun turrets you can easily do 0 damage. Even so you still have a chance to set fires and they can do tremendous damage if you have a little luck and timing on your side. Shots to the deck are also good at knocking out AA and secondary guns which will make life a lot easier for any friendly carriers. Destroyers are usually poorly armored enough that hits to the side of the hull still do good damage - theres usually just enough metal there to keep the water out.

There is a confusing and frustrating mechanic called damage saturation - if the same section of the ship is hit repeatedly with HE it can "run out" of hp and further shots to that area will do 0 damage (but can still cause fires). This usually only happens when a ship is near death. If you do notice this, switch to AP and put rounds through the superstructure, as they will still do 10% damage even if they just pass through before exploding.

Lakedaimon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 16, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If I recall correctly, each ship has some number of distinct sections, and each one has an individual hp pool that is something like 4/5s(possibly even more?) the total health of the ship. So you're generally only going to see actual damage saturation in very limited cases. There's just a second, related, mechanic in play. That being that HE damage actually is tracked overall, and each section has a threshold of it over which it starts doing drastically less damage*, though fires are still a thing and ignore sections in regards to dealing damage, so fires set even in fully destroyed sections are still dangerous. The main damage saturation mechanic is where even AP is going to do no damage - aside from citadel hits which ALWAYS do the correct damage.

Some of the most noticeable instances have been when a destroyer has taken a torpedo hit and just barely not died from it. When other shots end up landing in that section, even other torpedoes, it doesn't actually lose any health.

*This was the big reason Iowa was so overpowered when the game initially went gold. The overall section damage pools were fine, but the HE saturation limit for Iowa's superstructure was insanely low - like "misplaced decimal" low.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
What's the Iowa like nowadays ? I only briefly touched her during beta and on the test server. But that's long ago.

In the Tirpitz I'm usually not afraid of Iowa drivers, as long as I angle well they can't really hurt me. Is the Iowa a good ship if I like bit citadels ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

What's the Iowa like nowadays ? I only briefly touched her during beta and on the test server. But that's long ago.

Like a bigger North Carolina that seems to attract more shells and torpedoes.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

In the options menu is a setting that shows you in more detail what your shells actually did on impact. If a shell shatters or bounces of the armor it doesn't do any damage even though the game registers it as a hit.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Asproigerosis posted:

any specific bote?

depending what it is/they are you can sling AP into superstructure for hilarious 2-6k volleys

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Vorkosigan posted:

I'm having a blast in the scharn, platooned or not. Charging into groups of cruisers and DDs, letting secondaries and torps feed people into the main guns is super fun. When triple platooned earlier a Blys charged our pack and died to massed secondary fire before any of us could shoot him with our main batteries

What is the secondary range on Scharnhorst? I'm tempted to get one because I like battlecruiser play, but I haven't been boteing much lately.

El Disco posted:

My favorite Scharnhorst retard for today is this guy. I called him a useless idiot or something along those lines, and he replies with "22 hits and 1 kill, bite me" like it would impress me. That one kill was when he rammed his ~35k health Scharnhorst into another Scharn that was at 5k and burning to death.

14k average damage in the Cleveland over the course of 179 games. :allears:

Ha; that guy is terrible.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Aug 16, 2016

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

What is the secondary range on Scharnhorst? I'm tempted to get one because I like battlecruiser play, but I haven't been boteing much lately.

6km standard, 7.2(?) with AFT I think. Just 1 more point to get that.

EDIT: My first game in it from yesterday:

DRIVE FORWARD SO I CAN HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD!

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 16, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm seriously considering a Scharnhorst too. I've even heard it said that the gameplay is reminiscent of high level German Cruisers and considering how good my experience in the Roon has been so far, thats an endorsement.

Another thing to consider, I really think T7 is a sweetspot at the minute after the MM changes which appear to make more T5s see T7 games. Could be anecdotal of course.

Final point: I just got an Udaloi and drat its good. I'm not sure what the deal with the upgraded guns is but I hardly ever see 0 dmg hits now whereas with Kiev, Tashkent and stock Udaloi I would often see shots with no dmg. Also their arc and reload is better. The other surprising thing for me was that it has 3x5 torpedos, ie joint most in the game with Shimakaze. They are only 60knot and 8km range but definately useful.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
God drat Scharnhorst dispersion, I couldn't hit a Hatsuharu 6km away for a minute :psyduck:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aesis posted:

God drat Scharnhorst dispersion, I couldn't hit a Hatsuharu 6km away for a minute :psyduck:

That's why I'm calling it the Schotgun.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I just downloaded like 10gb of patch.

EDIT: Still can't use German BBs.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 16, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Tier IV german BB looks kind of fun. Tier 9 german BB looks extremely bad.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pacra posted:

Tier IV german BB looks kind of fun. Tier 9 german BB looks extremely bad.

Tier 9 looks like a crappy version of the Iowa which isn't really good when you're going to be fighting the Yamato every other game.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

New atsf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-j1Kaeg4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

That intro. That is basically me when I'm playing battleships in that kind of situation. :allears: