Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I... what?

e.another:

Looks like these were taken at Everett Powersports on Everett Mall Way; they do have pretty regular Goldwing events.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I looked, then I clicked back. Then I clicked forward again. Not everything is as it seems in that image.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm throwing down in the "awesome" category before the haters show up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What is that swingarm/shaft from?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It appears to be a goldwing powertrain in a cbr frame.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

I'm throwing down in the "awesome" category before the haters show up.

Was going to violently disagree with you until I noticed the Goldwing engine. Yeah, that's awesome.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Collateral Damage posted:

What is that swingarm/shaft from?

I'd suspect it's from a GL1800, they come stock with a single-sided shaft/swingarm.

I think it's also a GL1800 frame with maybe a CBR subframe welded :supaburn: on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, that looks right. I was thinking it was more of an insane frankenbike but really it's just a CBR faired goldwing with a subframe mod huh.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
They also added a CBR tank, CBR forks, and CBR shock.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
It's got a Goldwing motor, a 1800cc plant, it's got CBR tires, CBR suspensions, CBR shocks. It's a model made before Casey Stoner was born so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new official AI:CA motorcycle or what?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Mcqueen posted:

It's got a Goldwing motor, a 1800cc plant, it's got CBR tires, CBR suspensions, CBR shocks. It's a model made before Casey Stoner was born so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new official AI:CA motorcycle or what?

Maybe if it were a motard.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If that's what the Goldwing looks like when you strip all the plastic crap off of it I wonder what else you could do with it. Like a more modern-looking Valkyrie, for instance.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I would ride the gently caress out of that thing.

whereisnovember took a photo of me. :ohdear:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I was digging up some old ride photos from the Wisconsin Rustic Roads tour and this one is my favorite.

The rest of them are posted here.

http://motogastro.blogspot.com/2013/02/wiconsin-rustic-roads-motorcycle-tour.html

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

I... what?

e.another:

Looks like these were taken at Everett Powersports on Everett Mall Way; they do have pretty regular Goldwing events.

Awesome.

poo poo like this reminds me again that I need to find a workshop so I can murderchop some of the cheapo Goldies I can get around here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Coredump posted:

Instead, what these companies need to do is something rear end backwards and counter intuitive to them, they need to start dumbing down motorcycles so that they will appeal to Joe Schmoe car driver. Right now we don't have something we can call the Toyota Prius of motorcycles.
The Honda PC800 was literally called the Accord of motorcycles when they were made and even were marketed as such to a point. They didn't do terribly well. Maybe they would do better now? :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slidebite posted:

The Honda PC800 was literally called the Accord of motorcycles when they were made and even were marketed as such to a point. They didn't do terribly well. Maybe they would do better now? :shrug:

That thing is fugly. I wouldn't buy one, but by god it *does* look like a car. They very carefully hid all the scary mechanical parts. I am impressed they were so restrained with the windscreen, I would almost expect some monstrosity of a hemisphere that wraps all the way back level with the handlebars.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Backov posted:

cheapo Goldies I can get around here.

Where is here? Part of me wants a cheap old Goldwing to tour on for a season, then flip.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

I've only ever seen one of these in person and I swear I couldn't figure out if it was a bike or some sort of super-scooter. Had no idea what they were until now.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Coredump posted:

That's real cool and I didn't know about that bike. I think to appeal to car drivers more the seat would have to be lower to get over the intimidation of mounting the bike, and a seat back to give more back support.

Basically I think in the US if you want more people on motorcycles the group of people you're gonna pull from is car drivers. So you got to put a car on two wheel basically, as dumb as that sounded coming out of my keyboard. And no Monotracers don't count even though I think they're cool as poo poo.

I don't think making bikes more like cars is the problem, I think what motorcycle companies should be trying to do is steer people away from having a 2 car household, and push the benefits of a car + bike household. I think the majority of people see it as a plaything for the weekends, or a luxury extra expense, so the bike needs to have a purpose. Use it for commuting and groceries, and a car for long drives and hauling stuff. I know people that have two Suburbans in the garage, and commute <10 miles to work round trip as a single-occupant vehicle.

There's also a lot of infrastructure stuff that needs to happen to make cities more two-wheel friendly, obviously, but I believe that the perception change will be the most important part.

I hope it's not blasphemy, but I dig the Boxx as the best 'starter' bike for the average consumer. It's sleek, simple and not a daunting, dangerous-looking machine. Apparently the 2013 models are in production right now :woop:

(not me)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
From their site -

quote:

BOXX is the first ALL WHEEL DRIVE (AWD) two-wheeled vehicle. This feat was thought impossible by many industry folk and is now patented by BOXX. AWD provides excellent rider safety and gives BOXX amazing control in terrain off limits to most two-wheeled vehicles...In addition to AWD, BOXX is capable of traction control and ABS braking...resulting in unparalleled rider safety and unprecedented performance for this class of vehicle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoZ7JXkv6_o

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why this bike is automatic, it's systematic, and it's hydromatic.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slavvy posted:

Why this bike is automatic, it's systematic, and it's hydromatic.

Thanks, I read that in my head in John Travoltas voice and now I can't get it out.

Ughhh

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Where is here? Part of me wants a cheap old Goldwing to tour on for a season, then flip.

Montreal. Haven't looked lately, but I was seeing lots of them in the $500-$2000 range.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Badass! http://youtu.be/boI71KRxTTY

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Dude. Wanna do that.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Physics must have been looking the other way at 0:52

E: And 1:31 What the hell, he even does it on paved surfaces

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 16, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

red19fire posted:

I don't think making bikes more like cars is the problem, I think what motorcycle companies should be trying to do is steer people away from having a 2 car household, and push the benefits of a car + bike household. I think the majority of people see it as a plaything for the weekends, or a luxury extra expense, so the bike needs to have a purpose. Use it for commuting and groceries, and a car for long drives and hauling stuff. I know people that have two Suburbans in the garage, and commute <10 miles to work round trip as a single-occupant vehicle.

There's also a lot of infrastructure stuff that needs to happen to make cities more two-wheel friendly, obviously, but I believe that the perception change will be the most important part.

I hope it's not blasphemy, but I dig the Boxx as the best 'starter' bike for the average consumer. It's sleek, simple and not a daunting, dangerous-looking machine. Apparently the 2013 models are in production right now :woop:

(not me)

This BOXX thing is a total novelty and modern scooters do everything better. And I can't imagine what that thing's super-short wheelbase and weird rider position will do when you hit a pothole.

Scooters are legitimately some of the most practical vehicles on the planet but they suffer the same "weekend toy" idea that all two-wheeled vehicles do here with the added stigma of being "gay" or "for girls" that keep even more riders off them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This BOXX thing is a total novelty and modern scooters do everything better. And I can't imagine what that thing's super-short wheelbase and weird rider position will do when you hit a pothole.

Scooters are legitimately some of the most practical vehicles on the planet but they suffer the same "weekend toy" idea that all two-wheeled vehicles do here with the added stigma of being "gay" or "for girls" that keep even more riders off them.

Which is where bikes like the Mana and the NC come in - scooter storage and ease of use in motorbike shape, with big engines for those who think that that's important for a commuter behicle.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The only scooter I'd ever consider purchasing and/or bringing to the public market is the one from Encino Man but it's probably because I. am. a. unique. wea-sel buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddy

*futtlefuttlefuttlefuttlefuttle*

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pham Nuwen posted:

That thing is fugly. I wouldn't buy one, but by god it *does* look like a car. They very carefully hid all the scary mechanical parts. I am impressed they were so restrained with the windscreen, I would almost expect some monstrosity of a hemisphere that wraps all the way back level with the handlebars.

It and the ST1100 shared a lot of styling similarities, while obviously not the most gorgeous bike on the planet, certainly looks/looked better than the PC800.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to try riding one, maybe just once.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 16, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The other part of that is the 'scooters / bikes are deathtraps' mentality, partly urban legend derived from people riding with no training or safety gear, and partly cold fact from sharing the road with 3-ton SUVs piloted by people texting

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!

Snowdens Secret posted:

The other part of that is the 'scooters / bikes are deathtraps' mentality, partly urban legend derived from people riding with no training or safety gear, and partly cold fact from sharing the road with 3-ton SUVs piloted by people texting

I rented a 250 Honda for a day in Nepal a few months ago and driving culture there was much better than here in NA in this respect. It looked incredibly chaotic at first, with never-ending honking, pedestrians all over the place, crazy roto-tiller-trucks, etc, but both drivers and pedestrians were much more attentive than drivers here. In Nepal (and most of SE Asia?) motorbikes and scooters are reasonable middle-class family vehicles, plus road etiquette is very... loose... so everyone seemed to be very aware of their surroundings and acted accordingly.

Aside: The trip prompted me to look at NA motorcycle culture with new eyes - almost all of our bikes are over-powered for what we do with them. Particularly ADV and dual-sport bikes - I saw 125cc bikes haul two people plus baggage up and down rocky trails that would intimidate some of the ADV guys I've ridden with.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Good Ship Theseus posted:

Aside: The trip prompted me to look at NA motorcycle culture with new eyes - almost all of our bikes are over-powered for what we do with them. Particularly ADV and dual-sport bikes - I saw 125cc bikes haul two people plus baggage up and down rocky trails that would intimidate some of the ADV guys I've ridden with.

I think the difference is, we have a well developed freeway and A-road infrastructure, so Joe Bimmer on his 1200GS can maintain 80-90 mph on the superslab portion of his journey. To my knowledge, speeds like that would be insane in Nepal, even if you had the power.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Xovaan posted:

The only scooter I'd ever consider purchasing and/or bringing to the public market is the one from Encino Man but it's probably because I. am. a. unique. wea-sel buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddy

*futtlefuttlefuttlefuttlefuttle*

It's a Vespa P-series btw, probably a P200.

Safety Dance posted:

I think the difference is, we have a well developed freeway and A-road infrastructure, so Joe Bimmer on his 1200GS can maintain 80-90 mph on the superslab portion of his journey. To my knowledge, speeds like that would be insane in Nepal, even if you had the power.

True and 125cc wouldn't be enough to readily cruise on our freeways but people don't need 100hp in a 400lbs motorcycle when they get around just fine with 130-150hp in their 3000lbs car.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Seems like really dumb and overly-complicated linkage to me.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It's different though.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Good Ship Theseus posted:

Particularly ADV and dual-sport bikes - I saw 125cc bikes haul two people plus baggage up and down rocky trails that would intimidate some of the ADV guys I've ridden with.

I wouldn't say the majority of ADV bikes in the US are "overpowered", especially when considering their target market: 50+ year old fat guys. Figure an F800GS comes in around 490 lbs wet without a rider and payload and has 85 hp, and the "standard", the R1200gs has around 115 hp and 590 lbs, that's before you toss on a huge windscreen, fat guy rider and huge boxes for gear. When you figure it's a yuppie bike designed for those who think the goldwing is too old, 115 hp isn't really a lot. Go on the low end of the spectrum and you've got the KLR 650 which doesn't even make it to 40 hp and 435lbs.

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 17, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

Seems like really dumb and overly-complicated linkage to me.

It's so he can run gp shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

True and 125cc wouldn't be enough to readily cruise on our freeways but people don't need 100hp in a 400lbs motorcycle when they get around just fine with 130-150hp in their 3000lbs car.

I will kill you if you try to take my rocket bike away from me.